[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8337841 times)

MuMark

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 7/15/18
« Reply #14175 on: August 08, 2018, 10:52:29 AM »
Who are you referring to as "three top Jrs"?
Johnson, Sibley, Beekman?

Johnson can go anywhere he wants, not holding my breath for that one. However a timely elite 8/final four run before he narrows down things would make things interesting. Wojo taking a side job teaching gym class at Nicolet could make things interesting as well.
Sibley is barely top 100. We've shown no problem landing in-state non blueblood cailber top 100 players.  Wojo could coach Nicolet if he wanted to on his way home everyday this year if Sibley is a priority. Matt and Morrow will be gone so there will be minutes in theory. Theo will be a senior hopefully.
Beekman, not sure if he is sticking around here for the school year or headed back to LA. Either way he seems like he's an option (borderline top 100) and has a couple of the all-knowing, all-powerful crystal balls pointing to us, including a new one last week. Type of guy that should be ok with playing with McEwen around as a senior if he sees him will have the keys as a sophomore.
Polk is also at Nicolet and would seem attainable.

Yeah the only "top junior" is Johnson. The other 2 guys that I assume he is referring to are Baldwin and Foster who are Sophs.

How quickly people forget that we did land Henry not that long ago. Joey wasn't rated that highly but was certainly a premium local player.

Polk is a nice player but we haven't even offered him so........

Wouldn't worry about the one and done types.....if we get them great......if not oh well.....after 2020 many will go straight to the league anyway.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14176 on: August 08, 2018, 11:01:44 AM »
Who are you referring to as "three top Jrs"?
Johnson, Sibley, Beekman?

My guess is that he put Foster and Baldwin Jr into the 2020 class by mistake. It would be nice if we could land one of those but we will need to do some good work in the next two years to make that happen. Johnson feels like the most attainable of the three, I do think the move to Nicolett helps us ever so slightly.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14177 on: August 08, 2018, 11:24:14 AM »
TAMU

Thanks for the correction. If we do not land any of the three it will have nothing to do with the talent on the roster. All three get instant minutes at any top ten program. As for Johnson, I really, really like him as a player.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Recruiting as of 10/20
« Reply #14178 on: August 08, 2018, 11:40:25 AM »

You brought the Wojo comparisons into the thread.

Well...I suppose it's all relative, but the first person to actually bring Buzz into the thread was VegasWarrior77 back in October of 2015 via a Jon Rothstein tweet. ;D

OT - but was a past recruit... hate to see anyone get hurt.  Bummer for the kid.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  59m59 minutes ago
Virginia Tech's Ahmed Hill (patella) won't have an updated status until mid-December, Buzz Williams told @CBSSports. 8.7 PPG in 14-15.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14179 on: August 08, 2018, 12:08:49 PM »
Buzz's highest recruits were: Junior Cadougan, Erik Williams, Jamail Jones, Vander, Steve Taylor, Juan Anderson, Duane Wilson, Deonte Burton, Jajuan Johnson. Maybe add Jamil and Luke as former top recruits. (Heck even throw in Cohen, Noskowiak, Hill and Harris) Of all of those former top 100 recruits only Luke had a blue blood offer, unless you include Michigan state as a blue blood but Wojo's kicked Izzo's a$$ more than Buzz.
I am not arguing who had better recruits, but you are leaving off Butler, Crowder, DJO and Buycks (sp). Buzz got some recruits to commit before visiting MU. To me that indicates that some recruits were enamored with Buzz. Wojo seems to currently be having trouble getting his targets to even visit MU. Not getting an official visits out of your main targets to me is a problem. It might be he is just chasing too big of fish. However, that in itself is a problem. You have to identify the recruits you have a good chance of getting. Buzz knew he had the edge when it came to Jucos.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14180 on: August 08, 2018, 12:20:37 PM »
I am not arguing who had better recruits, but you are leaving off Butler, Crowder, DJO and Buycks (sp). Buzz got some recruits to commit before visiting MU. To me that indicates that some recruits were enamored with Buzz. Wojo seems to currently be having trouble getting his targets to even visit MU. Not getting an official visits out of your main targets to me is a problem. It might be he is just chasing too big of fish. However, that in itself is a problem. You have to identify the recruits you have a good chance of getting. Buzz knew he had the edge when it came to Jucos.

Buzz had a recruiting class of Juan Anderson, Derrrick Wilson, and Todd Mayo, followed by a recruiting class of Jamal Ferguson and Steve Taylor.

Some of Buzz's recruiting classes were great, and others were terrible.  That's how recruiting goes at almost any non-blue blood program, like Marquette.

Wojo has been an outstanding recruiter.  One recruiting class where he had the luxury of going after the "big fish" because he has an expected 11 returning players and striking out on those "big fish" (so far) does not mean Wojo sucks at recruiting.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #14181 on: August 08, 2018, 12:26:36 PM »

I think Wojo's success in both the gard & traditional transfer markets (Carlino, Reinhardt, Chartouny, Morrow, McEwen) as well as spring HS signings (Markus, Elliott) makes going after the big fish early the best strategy possible. IMHO, of course.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14182 on: August 08, 2018, 12:33:34 PM »
My guess is that he put Foster and Baldwin Jr into the 2020 class by mistake. It would be nice if we could land one of those but we will need to do some good work in the next two years to make that happen. Johnson feels like the most attainable of the three, I do think the move to Nicolett helps us ever so slightly.

I think there's a decent chance Baldwin and Foster go straight to the NBA. I agree, however, that there's a legitimate shot with Johnson. I do think the blue bloods will be involved, but I have heard that some in his family want him to stay close to home. Seeing the excitement after the Duke offer makes me question if that's really the case, but if he does choose to stay close to home, the move to Nicolet should help.

The one concern I have is that I don't think Antonio Curro is that fond of Marquette. He runs NY2LA and is director of Phenom University. Who knows who'll be running the recruitment, but the staff may need to work a little bit extra if they want Curro in their corner.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #14183 on: August 08, 2018, 12:43:09 PM »

I think what hurts Wojo in recruiting is his personality. He comes across as a nice guy and potential recruits generally like him. However, he is less exciting than many other coaches personality wise. It pays to be a character like Al McGuire or Buzz. I compare Wojo personality wise to Hank Raymonds. A solid person, who lacked the charisma needed to win over the top recruits when the blue bloods show up.
He only gets the easy recruits, eh?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14184 on: August 08, 2018, 01:44:36 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14185 on: August 08, 2018, 02:07:59 PM »
https://twitter.com/llseth23/status/1027252956746461184

Seth Lundy's top 8 coming out tomorrow. Haven't heard us mentioned with him since his unofficial last month.
TAMU

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14186 on: August 08, 2018, 02:49:21 PM »
I think Wojo's success in both the gard & traditional transfer markets (Carlino, Reinhardt, Chartouny, Morrow, McEwen) as well as spring HS signings (Markus, Elliott) makes going after the big fish early the best strategy possible. IMHO, of course.
I think in this area Wojo is way ahead of Buzz. Buzz was going to use a scholarship no matter what and consistently signed projects who did not work out. Wojo seems to have more patience, which allows him to pursue transfers who will actually help the program.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #14187 on: August 08, 2018, 05:30:11 PM »
I think there's a decent chance Baldwin and Foster go straight to the NBA. I agree, however, that there's a legitimate shot with Johnson. I do think the blue bloods will be involved, but I have heard that some in his family want him to stay close to home. Seeing the excitement after the Duke offer makes me question if that's really the case, but if he does choose to stay close to home, the move to Nicolet should help.

As long as they change the rule. I'm sure the NBA & the union can agree easily enough. ::)

But, seriously, with the new rule changes by the NCAA, I think it will happen.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #14188 on: August 08, 2018, 06:01:10 PM »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #14189 on: August 08, 2018, 06:37:07 PM »
Goal is National Championship

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14190 on: August 08, 2018, 07:30:26 PM »
I think in this area Wojo is way ahead of Buzz. Buzz was going to use a scholarship no matter what and consistently signed projects who did not work out. Wojo seems to have more patience, which allows him to pursue transfers who will actually help the program.

One of Buzz's hallmarks that he wore as a badge of honor was kids transferring out. He knew his system and mannerisms were tough for some kids to acclimate to and he wanted to put that chip on their shoulders, which inevitably meant some kids weren't going to be able to handle it. That definitely led to a bit of a rotating door.

Obviously Wojo has also had his share of transfers and departures, but now that we actually have a full roster, I think we see what the hope is. 1-2 guys sitting out each year to increase practice depth and a broad range of players across the classes. The challenge will be keeping everyone happy with minutes. We bring back four guys that averaged starter minutes (Howard, Hauser, Anim, Heldt) and three more that were significant reserves, which means they'll probably want to play more (Cain, Elliott, John). Add in two proven upperclassmen (Chartouny, Morrow) and a five-star freshman (Joey) and I would figure all of them have designs on playing 20+ mpg. Except obviously, they won't all play 20 mpg because there's only 200 minutes for those ten guys, and some will play more than 20. And that's not to mention Bailey and Eke will be competing as well.

If Wojo can keep this roster together for the next two years, he's a wizard. And honestly, there isn't a player here I am not excited to see in a Marquette uniform. It may be a good problem to have, but it could still prove to be a problem, especially if we see the customary 2-3 departures per year.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14191 on: August 08, 2018, 09:18:36 PM »
I think Duane is pushing hard for Reece to go to A and M
https://twitter.com/reece_beekman/status/1027325228966445057
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14192 on: August 08, 2018, 09:32:45 PM »
MU makes final 6 for James Bishop

https://twitter.com/realjb10/status/1027328306088173571?s=21
Excellent news. When we get him on campus he will see all the good hair guys we have and the decision will make itself. All kidding aside, I really like this kids game, he well suited for Big East play. If  Wojo can emphasize his own Baltimore Roots in the process  it may help close the deal. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #14193 on: August 08, 2018, 11:10:24 PM »
Buzz had a recruiting class of Juan Anderson, Derrrick Wilson, and Todd Mayo, followed by a recruiting class of Jamal Ferguson and Steve Taylor.

Some of Buzz's recruiting classes were great, and others were terrible.  That's how recruiting goes at almost any non-blue blood program, like Marquette.

Wojo has been an outstanding recruiter.  One recruiting class where he had the luxury of going after the "big fish" because he has an expected 11 returning players and striking out on those "big fish" (so far) does not mean Wojo sucks at recruiting.

Very well articulated
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14194 on: August 09, 2018, 12:04:56 AM »
We've been out for a while, but Mario McKinney made it official today.  Announced his top 7 of Iowa State, Oklahoma State, VCU, Louisville, Kansas State, Auburn, and Mizzou.

That leaves Mannion, J Bishop, Akanno, and Lundy as the last four targets in 2019. Lundy's top 6 is being released tomorrow afternoon.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14195 on: August 09, 2018, 12:26:45 AM »
https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/status/1027321443724476419

Apparently we offered Jon Kuminga at some point. 5 star recruit in the 2021 class who goes to Huntington Prep in WV. With Foster and Baldwin already offered, that's 3 of the top 6 players in the class of 2021 offered.
TAMU

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #14196 on: August 09, 2018, 09:01:32 AM »
https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/status/1027321443724476419

Apparently we offered Jon Kuminga at some point. 5 star recruit in the 2021 class who goes to Huntington Prep in WV. With Foster and Baldwin already offered, that's 3 of the top 6 players in the class of 2021 offered.

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.  Why not make offers to all these top guys?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #14197 on: August 09, 2018, 09:38:39 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14198 on: August 09, 2018, 09:39:24 AM »

Ding ding ding ding!

Congrats for winning the interwebs this week, wades. The trophy will look nice next to your interwebs win for identifying Oladipo as an All-Star!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #14199 on: August 09, 2018, 09:55:15 AM »
Official visit set for Bishop

https://twitter.com/bensteelemjs/status/1027556824017498116?s=21

We are the last visit.  If he makes it through LSU, St. Johns and VCU, I'd be very confident in a commitment after he visits. 

feedback