[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8459202 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/17
« Reply #9575 on: September 21, 2017, 05:54:03 PM »
I think we worry too much about who going where affects QG.

It probably plays a part in his decision, but he is gonna go where he has a repoire with the coaching staff.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #9576 on: September 21, 2017, 06:11:46 PM »

It probably plays a part in his decision, but he is gonna go where he has a repoire with the coaching staff.

Repoire. Is that what the kids call rapport? Maybe it's creole? I hate to grammar police on a chat board but that's pretty funny.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #9577 on: September 21, 2017, 07:26:34 PM »
Creole!?! Mmmmmm.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #9578 on: September 21, 2017, 07:41:28 PM »
Grimes together, shine together.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #9579 on: September 21, 2017, 07:52:55 PM »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9580 on: September 21, 2017, 08:12:39 PM »

Yes and no.

Here's my impression of the recruitment of young Mr. Grimes. And this comes from my own personal observations and chatting with a few people who are smarter than I. Marquette has the best "repoire"  ;) with Mr. Grimes. And it's not really close. If the decision was made on connection with the coaching staff we would have him in the bag. What's holding us back is the fact that he is a 5 star from Texas. 5 stars from Texas don't go to Marquette. They go to blue bloods like UK and KU or they go to Texas. Whether true or not, the perception is that a program like UK, KU, or TU can help him get to the next level better than Marquette can....plus they have better locker rooms, better facilities, and come with more prestige. Heart says Marquette, head says UK/KU.

It's easy to say that a kid will go with his heart and not his head but just look at Charles Matthews. Matthews and family loved Buzz and were skeptical about Coach Cal. He ended up at UK (where he promptly got recruited over and eventually had to transfer to potential Maui opponent Michigan).

The staff has to get him past the "It's Kentucky! It's Kentucky" and the "It's Kansas! It's Kansas!" Not an easy task to do. Other high level guards committing to KU/UK/TU will help sell the narrative that Grimes is not a priority and give him an "out" to go with his heart and pick Marquette. Every little bit helps.

FWIW, I don't think the family connection to Kansas is worth much. I've heard that if it was up to the mom, he'd be in Blue and Gold.

What I do know....KUScoop will absolutely implode if Grimes comes to Marquette. They are already writing Grimes off to UK and assuming that Cal will cheat to get him. Novel long threads on Grimes that don't even mention Marquette as a possibility, not once. If Choir Boy Wojo and lowly Marquette beat out the almighty Self and blue blooded Kansas....there will be riots. I know I shouldn't but I enjoy watching arrogant fan bases meltdown on the internet.  8-)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #9581 on: September 21, 2017, 08:19:19 PM »
B.S.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9582 on: September 21, 2017, 08:20:37 PM »
We don't want to read your quip every time the Crystal ball is mentioned.

We? I love it when JB mocks the Crystal Bowel. And when 4ever reminds us that Crean sucks.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9583 on: September 21, 2017, 09:00:41 PM »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9584 on: September 21, 2017, 09:15:38 PM »
Why do you care so much? It's called the Crystal Ball Predictions for a reason, they're just guesses.

I don't care. I think it reflects poorly on this message board when people refer to it because "they're just guesses". So why cite it? Stupid as eff.

Do better.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9585 on: September 21, 2017, 09:46:41 PM »
I don't care. I think it reflects poorly on this message board when people refer to it because "they're just guesses". So why cite it? Stupid as eff.

Do better.
Well, do better if you can.  Doubt that you can.  It's just part of all the fun.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9586 on: September 21, 2017, 09:53:48 PM »
Well, do better if you can.  Doubt that you can.  It's just part of all the fun.

I've done better with opining where I feel I have a reason to. And I am in the gym. I have done far better. It's not part of the fun. It's nonsense marketing.

So, when you cite it, you're citing a nonsense marketing waste of time. Get bent.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #9587 on: September 21, 2017, 10:22:31 PM »
Any new updates on Crystal Ball this evening?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #9588 on: September 21, 2017, 10:30:53 PM »
That's what we want, no? Quickly to Kentucky Dotson to Kansas.

He might be buying into the narrative that it's truly us and Kansas as the front runners.

If that's true the sooner KU is off the market the better.

That said, yes Quickley to UK and Dotson to KU gives us the best odds
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

panda

• All American
« Reply #9589 on: September 21, 2017, 10:44:25 PM »
I've done better with opining where I feel I have a reason to. And I am in the gym. I have done far better. It's not part of the fun. It's nonsense marketing.

So, when you cite it, you're citing a nonsense marketing waste of time. Get bent.

Go back to your blog nerd boy.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9590 on: September 21, 2017, 11:06:27 PM »
I don't care.

I don't know why you care, but it's pretty clear you do. A lot.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9591 on: September 21, 2017, 11:25:59 PM »
Yes and no.

Here's my impression of the recruitment of young Mr. Grimes. And this comes from my own personal observations and chatting with a few people who are smarter than I. Marquette has the best "repoire"  ;) with Mr. Grimes. And it's not really close. If the decision was made on connection with the coaching staff we would have him in the bag. What's holding us back is the fact that he is a 5 star from Texas. 5 stars from Texas don't go to Marquette. They go to blue bloods like UK and KU or they go to Texas. Whether true or not, the perception is that a program like UK, KU, or TU can help him get to the next level better than Marquette can....plus they have better locker rooms, better facilities, and come with more prestige. Heart says Marquette, head says UK/KU.

It's easy to say that a kid will go with his heart and not his head but just look at Charles Matthews. Matthews and family loved Buzz and were skeptical about Coach Cal. He ended up at UK (where he promptly got recruited over and eventually had to transfer to potential Maui opponent Michigan).

The staff has to get him past the "It's Kentucky! It's Kentucky" and the "It's Kansas! It's Kansas!" Not an easy task to do. Other high level guards committing to KU/UK/TU will help sell the narrative that Grimes is not a priority and give him an "out" to go with his heart and pick Marquette. Every little bit helps.

FWIW, I don't think the family connection to Kansas is worth much. I've heard that if it was up to the mom, he'd be in Blue and Gold.

What I do know....KUScoop will absolutely implode if Grimes comes to Marquette. They are already writing Grimes off to UK and assuming that Cal will cheat to get him. Novel long threads on Grimes that don't even mention Marquette as a possibility, not once. If Choir Boy Wojo and lowly Marquette beat out the almighty Self and blue blooded Kansas....there will be riots. I know I shouldn't but I enjoy watching arrogant fan bases meltdown on the internet.  8-)
I think at this point it really is going to come down to the chemistry that Quentin feels he has or potentially has with his future teammates.

All four finalists have passed the rest of the basketball related tests. The parents are going to be impressed with MU and all the attention they get from Lovell and Scholl.

Quentin is looking for a program that will allow for the maximum ability to showcase himself on a one to two year rental.  I believe our coaching staff can make a strong case to that end and the teammate chemistry factor will be what seals the deal for us. To that end I am most concerned about Texas because QG knows that team very well. Kansas and KU are situations where he is going to have to share spotlight and possibly even struggle for playing time.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #9592 on: September 21, 2017, 11:37:49 PM »
Repoire. Is that what the kids call rapport? Maybe it's creole? I hate to grammar police on a chat board but that's pretty funny.

Sorry no one got the joke/snark.

You were on the right track with the Creole comment. It was as simple as making fun of the way they talk in the deep south.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9593 on: September 21, 2017, 11:41:01 PM »
I think at this point it really is going to come down to the chemistry that Quentin feels he has or potentially has with his future teammates.

All four finalists have passed the rest of the basketball related tests. The parents are going to be impressed with MU and all the attention they get from Lovell and Scholl.

Quentin is looking for a program that will allow for the maximum ability to showcase himself on a one to two year rental.  I believe our coaching staff can make a strong case to that end and the teammate chemistry factor will be what seals the deal for us. To that end I am most concerned about Texas because QG knows that team very well. Kansas and KU are situations where he is going to have to share spotlight and possibly even struggle for playing time.

Wait.. where does wojo's demotivation factor in here? You said it multiple times. Doesn't that affect Grimes?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #9594 on: September 21, 2017, 11:47:40 PM »
Yes and no.

You make some good points (as always), TAMU. But there is also a lot of appeal to being "the guy". Wojo has some pretty nice pieces in place and one top 5-star could be a difference maker.

Don't know if that will be a factor in QG's choice, but the choice of an opportunity to be the man vs. being just another piece of the puzzle makes for an interesting decision.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #9595 on: September 22, 2017, 07:22:37 AM »

Think of it as the MUScoop version of the Tulip Bulb Craze, except with no negative financial repercussions.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9596 on: September 22, 2017, 07:44:19 AM »
Go back to your blog nerd boy.

"Nerd boy?"

#insultsfrom1983

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9597 on: September 22, 2017, 07:56:35 AM »

Dont know that I've ever meaningfully cited it.  It's often wrong and when it's right it's mostly the pied piper effect at the end.  The original poster's point was that you are rather redundant on the subject and that you are.  ;)

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9598 on: September 22, 2017, 08:03:46 AM »
"Nerd boy?"

#insultsfrom1983
"Gent Bent" isn't any better.  been sick of JB's arrogance on here...post your credentials if you want to act like big sh!t at every turn.  this isn't a phd paper...it's a place to get a break from the day...i'm not worried about citing information that might or might not be true...and to act like citing the crystal ball makes this site look bad is friggin' comical...especially given some of the posts JB has made himself. 

this is how i see the crystal ball...lots of people taking mildly educated guesses based upon what they know or who they trust, but when someone like a mark miller gives MU a pick it makes me think MU is strongly being considered.  when i see a bunch of people swing one way when an announcement is nearing, i figure there's a strong likelihood the kid will pick that school, and generally speaking that info is usually available in other places as well.  i'm a casual fan, and i don't check it often, but it is what it is.  i don't often see people posting a year out that the crystal ball is for MU so we're certainly a lock...most seem to understand its limits. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:05:22 AM by avid1010 »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #9599 on: September 22, 2017, 08:44:32 AM »
"Nerd boy?"

#insultsfrom1983
If it's good enough for ScoopTakes it's good enough for me
https://twitter.com/ScoopTakes/status/911084561987026949