Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8771967 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 8/15/17
« Reply #9150 on: August 28, 2017, 07:22:06 PM »
I'm sure they'll be just as excited as they were for the London Monarchs.

You joke, but the Bengals vs Redskins game was louder than any stateside NFL game I've ever been to.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #9151 on: August 28, 2017, 08:19:01 PM »
You joke, but the Bengals vs Redskins game was louder than any stateside NFL game I've ever been to.

I think you're a Bears fan. I don't find this tough to believe.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9152 on: August 28, 2017, 09:12:17 PM »
I think you're a Bears fan. I don't find this tough to believe.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9153 on: August 28, 2017, 09:43:47 PM »

As a novelty event, sure. They'd have a limited, dedicated following as the only game in town. But let's not pretend the NFL is about to sweep Europe.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #9154 on: August 29, 2017, 03:07:39 AM »
As a novelty event, sure. They'd have a limited, dedicated following as the only game in town. But let's not pretend the NFL is about to sweep Europe.

How about we get back to MU recruiting?
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #9155 on: August 29, 2017, 07:59:34 AM »
How about we get back to MU recruiting?
That's jsglow's job!
Goal is National Championship

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #9156 on: August 29, 2017, 08:13:19 AM »
This is a few years old, but take it fwiw.
A key point, though, is that there are four times as many NFL jobs as NBA jobs, so while you'll make more as an NBA player, you're more likely to become an NFL player.

Yes there are 4 times as many NFL jobs as NBA jobs, but there is also a ton more competition for those jobs as there are a lot more college football players vying for those spots than there are college bball players.  In the end, those two things should be a wash.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9157 on: August 29, 2017, 08:33:50 AM »
Yes there are 4 times as many NFL jobs as NBA jobs, but there is also a ton more competition for those jobs as there are a lot more college football players vying for those spots than there are college bball players.  In the end, those two things should be a wash.

FBS: 129 teams * 85 scholarships per team:  10,965 scholarships
FCS: 125 teams * 63 scholarships per team:  7,875 scholarships
Total:  18,840 scholarships.
NFL:  32 teams * 53 roster spots:  1,696 spots available.
1696 / 3.5 average career length:  484 spots available any given year.
One NFL roster spot available per 38.9 scholarships

NCAA D1:  351 basketball teams * 13 scholarships:  4,563 scholarships
NBA:  30 teams * 14 roster spots:  420 spots available
420 / 4.8 average career length:  87.5 spots available
One NBA roster spot per 52.1 scholarships.

So by this metric it is more likely for a college football player to make an NFL roster than a college basketball player to make an NBA one.  And of course there are other issues.  I am not counting foreign NBA players, but am not counting international opportunities either.  Also not including practice squads, etc.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #9158 on: August 29, 2017, 08:54:52 AM »
This is a few years old, but take it fwiw.
A key point, though, is that there are four times as many NFL jobs as NBA jobs, so while you'll make more as an NBA player, you're more likely to become an NFL player.

I'd be interested to see the medians instead of the averages. The NBA has smaller teams with top-heavy salary structure so the difference between mean and median can be big. The stay length is also probably top heavy. If you can stick around for 5 years, odds are you'll stick around for 8-10 years. Lots of guys cycling in and out of the last few roster spots for a year or two.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #9159 on: August 29, 2017, 09:14:33 AM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9160 on: August 29, 2017, 10:06:22 AM »
I'd be interested to see the medians instead of the averages. The NBA has smaller teams with top-heavy salary structure so the difference between mean and median can be big. The stay length is also probably top heavy. If you can stick around for 5 years, odds are you'll stick around for 8-10 years. Lots of guys cycling in and out of the last few roster spots for a year or two.

Vet minimums in the NBA are much higher though.  If you're a 4-5 year vet in the NBA, your minimum salary is 1.5MM+, while in the NFL that still under $800K, and I'm not sure that NFL money is fully guaranteed like the NBA is.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9161 on: August 29, 2017, 10:12:20 AM »
Vet minimums in the NBA are much higher though.  If you're a 4-5 year vet in the NBA, your minimum salary is 1.5MM+, while in the NFL that still under $800K, and I'm not sure that NFL money is fully guaranteed like the NBA is.

Right ... if you're a lock for a roster spot in either league, it's way better to go to the NBA.
But if you're a great two-sport high school athlete with nothing but aspirations, your easier path to a college scholarship and professional sports career is football. And that's probably only going to become more and more of the case as fewer kids play football.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #9162 on: August 29, 2017, 10:45:04 AM »
I like this discussion, and personally I'd take a below average NBA career over an above average NFL career any day of the week. However, I have had the benefit of seeing the effects of age on the body at 45+, and can only imagine how much a pro sports career would exacerbate that.

However, getting back to the generation of this topic, which was Jalen Suggs, it sounds like MU may be a long shot in that IF he even decides to play basketball, his love of football might push him toward a school that offers it.

But you never know.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9163 on: August 29, 2017, 11:07:17 AM »
Right ... if you're a lock for a roster spot in either league, it's way better to go to the NBA.
But if you're a great two-sport high school athlete with nothing but aspirations, your easier path to a college scholarship and professional sports career is football. And that's probably only going to become more and more of the case as fewer kids play football.

But when you already have those college scholarships offered to you that you're aspiring to receive in basketball, and you're ranked the 3rd best prospect in the entire country, but you're "just" a quarterback who could eventually develop into a D1 football prospect...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9164 on: August 29, 2017, 11:34:47 AM »
But when you already have those college scholarships offered to you that you're aspiring to receive in basketball, and you're ranked the 3rd best prospect in the entire country, but you're "just" a quarterback who could eventually develop into a D1 football prospect...

Not everything in life is a calculation of how you can make the most money down the road.  As I said earlier, perhaps he just loves playing football.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9165 on: August 29, 2017, 12:44:02 PM »

Not everything in life is a calculation of how you can make the most money down the road.  As I said earlier, perhaps he just loves playing football.

Agreed, but this whole discussion has been about which sport he'd have the best opportunity to make money playing professionally in so while there might be more competition for a spot on an NBA roster, if you're already in the most elite group of players at your age in basketball while you aren't in that same elite group in football my thought is it'll be easier for you to make an NBA roster (and get NCAA scholarship offers in basketball, since he already has many of those) than it will to make an NFL roster (and get NCAA scholarship offers).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:08:38 PM by QuentinsWorld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9166 on: August 29, 2017, 12:49:41 PM »
Agreed, but this whole discussion has been about which sport he'd have the best opportunity to make money playing professionally in is so while there might be more competition for a spot on an NBA roster, if you're already in the most elite group of players at your age in basketball while you aren't in that same elite group in football my thought is it'll be easier for you to make an NBA roster (and get NCAA scholarship offers in basketball, since he already has many of those) than it will to make an NFL roster (and get NCAA scholarship offers).

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying anything specific to Jalen Suggs. I was just pointing out reasons why a young athlete with professional aspirations might choose football over basketball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9167 on: August 29, 2017, 01:00:05 PM »
I would also argue, right or wrong, the NFL still has the most "prestige" involved with it, despite shorter average careers, lower salaries, and far more damaging later in life prospects than either MLB or NBA.

I think Suggs situation is similar to Joe Mauer.  One of the absolute best at your age group in a sport, but also very good at football.  But obviously Mauer chose his better sport.  I think the difference here is that Mauer was also arguably the best QB prospect in the country as a senior, far more so than Suggs, and he still chose baseball.  I wonder if his mentality would be the same if he had the option to go straight to the NBA like Mauer did with baseball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9168 on: August 29, 2017, 01:12:53 PM »
I would also argue, right or wrong, the NFL still has the most "prestige" involved with it, despite shorter average careers, lower salaries, and far more damaging later in life prospects than either MLB or NBA.

I think Suggs situation is similar to Joe Mauer.  One of the absolute best at your age group in a sport, but also very good at football.  But obviously Mauer chose his better sport.  I think the difference here is that Mauer was also arguably the best QB prospect in the country as a senior, far more so than Suggs, and he still chose baseball.  I wonder if his mentality would be the same if he had the option to go straight to the NBA like Mauer did with baseball.

I think I'd actually disagree with you on your first statement.  Maybe I'm totally wrong here but I think the most recognizable names and faces in all of sports at the very top are actually NBA stars over NFL stars.  LeBron, KD, Steph, etc. seem to individually get more publicity than the very top NFL players (Rodgers, Brady, etc.).  Shoe deals, guaranteed money, sponsorships, etc. all seem to favor the NBA superstars over the NFL superstars.  I have no data whatsoever to back that up, it just feels like there's more hype around the very top of the top NBA players over NFL players.

Edit: And heck, even the bottom of the bottom of the rosters.  I have no clue who the 50-53 players on the New England Patriots are (or even the Green Bay Packers), but I know who Kay Felder is or James Michael Macadoo, etc.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9169 on: August 29, 2017, 01:19:19 PM »
I think I'd actually disagree with you on your first statement.  Maybe I'm totally wrong here but I think the most recognizable names and faces in all of sports at the very top are actually NBA stars over NFL stars.  LeBron, KD, Steph, etc. seem to individually get more publicity than the very top NFL players (Rodgers, Brady, etc.).  Shoe deals, guaranteed money, sponsorships, etc. all seem to favor the NBA superstars over the NFL superstars.  I have no data whatsoever to back that up, it just feels like there's more hype around the very top of the top NBA players over NFL players.

Edit: And heck, even the bottom of the bottom of the rosters.  I have no clue who the 50-53 players on the New England Patriots are (or even the Green Bay Packers), but I know who Kay Felder is or James Michael Macadoo, etc.

World wide NBA stars are second only to futbol stars.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cristiano-ronaldo-lebron-james-most-famous-athletes-2017-5

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #9170 on: August 29, 2017, 01:43:23 PM »
Goal is National Championship

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9171 on: August 29, 2017, 01:49:24 PM »
Yep,
Futbol
NBA
MLB
NFL

You have the last two in the wrong order.  Regionalization of baseball broadcasting has really killed the baseball star. 

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #9172 on: August 29, 2017, 02:07:57 PM »
1st week of Oct we will know if we are getting a visit.  But we should check with JM he has better sources than me.  I just sweep the floors.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9173 on: August 29, 2017, 02:14:08 PM »
1st week of Oct we will know if we are getting a visit.  But we should check with JM he has better sources than me.  I just sweep the floors.

So what you're saying is if Grimes doesn't commit to Kansas at Late Night then we'll get a visit?

Also, you have me on pins and needles about what this team building activity.  Did pile into the ice cream truck and make a trip down to Texas to visit to a certain recruit or what?

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #9174 on: August 29, 2017, 02:43:59 PM »
1st week of Oct we will know if we are getting a visit.  But we should check with JM he has better sources than me. I just sweep the floors.

To be fair, MUFINY only said he had more sources than you, not better ones.

IN BIG DADDY WE TRUST

I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)