Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8723178 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 7/15/17
« Reply #8625 on: July 31, 2017, 08:59:51 PM »
I don't see Herro or Flory on our chart.  So I'll hang up and wait for JB's comments on Joey in Vegas or BD to update on the ice cream truck for Grimes.   ;D

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8626 on: July 31, 2017, 09:07:22 PM »
So when I compare the two kids. I see Flory willing to work within what the coaches ask of him. He is going to scramble for loose balls, give up his body, do whatever it takes to make a good impression on the coaches and earn respect of teammates.  He basically has no choice but to take this working class route given his circumstances. With the collegiate strength and training he will get healthier and his frame can support a fair amount of muscle mass. So if things work out he could end up being a Jake Thomas level player.

So "if things work out" he could rise to the level of likely the worst starting 2-guard in the last 20 years (at least) of Marquette basketball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8627 on: July 31, 2017, 09:09:33 PM »

So "if things work out" he could rise to the level of likely the worst starting 2-guard in the last 20 years (at least) of Marquette basketball.
Yes.

It is late July there is not much news going  on.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8628 on: July 31, 2017, 10:33:44 PM »
I am giving Flory credit for hanging in there through adversity.  First the kid had his commitment taken away when the new coach at MU came in ( lesson to those who make early commitments there is risk involved) and then he has an injury that took him a long time to work through.  He watched all his interest go away which is a tough thing for a teenager who put his entire emotion into .  So seeing him end up at Seton Hall, with comparable opportunities at Va Tech and Pittsburgh , is a great accomplishment given the background.  I think if the kid got this far he is going to work hard and make the best of his chance.  Stranger things have happened.

I get that Herro is a nice AAU player. In my view he is a self centered ball hog type player and those kind of guys tend to make a big splash in summer basketball.  He does not have the athletic abiity to make an impact on defense.   Not quick enough , strong enough or intimidating enough.  Guys like Herro think their &*((( doesn't stink, cant handle constructive coaching and usually end up transferring out.  The obnoxious parent in the background always makes matters worse.

So when I compare the two kids. I see Flory willing to work within what the coaches ask of him. He is going to scramble for loose balls, give up his body, do whatever it takes to make a good impression on the coaches and earn respect of teammates.  He basically has no choice but to take this working class route given his circumstances. With the collegiate strength and training he will get healthier and his frame can support a fair amount of muscle mass. So if things work out he could end up being a Jake Thomas level player.

On the other hand I see Herro as Austin Grandstaff 2.0 or Nick Noskowiak without the substance abuse issue. I am actually quite pleased he did not come to MU. We have some really good  team oriented kids in our program and on the way right now and don't need guys like Herro around. After he leaves UW I see him ending up  at a mid major desperate for a shooter and willing to turn the keys over to him.  Some place like Bradley.

Ahh, I forgot, you know every single recruit in the country's family, the kid, the people surrounding him, the work ethic, the coachability, the attitude, the ACT scores, the upbringing, the parent's jobs, the shoe sizes, etc. for every player in the country, ever.

Err, not.  This is actually quite sad.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8629 on: July 31, 2017, 10:46:05 PM »
Fred Hill is the connection to SH. Coached Mike at MU.

Very cool, love to see the MU tree in action

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #8630 on: July 31, 2017, 10:47:11 PM »
Ahh, I forgot, you know every single recruit in the country's family, the kid, the people surrounding him, the work ethic, the coachability, the attitude, the ACT scores, the upbringing, the parent's jobs, the shoe sizes, etc. for every player in the country, ever.

Hire That Guy.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8631 on: August 01, 2017, 12:10:27 AM »
I heard Shaq told him not to waste his time at either UW or the NBA but jump on the Kazaam reboot Shaq's been pitching for 20 years.....Kazaam 2.0: We need a Herro

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CheesyMUfan4ever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8632 on: August 01, 2017, 08:32:14 AM »
No, I was there and you are lying. Herro's team had 4 games.

In pool play, went 2-1. Beat a German team who got annihilated in all of their games; beat California Stars by 2. The other game they lost by double digits.

In bracket play, Shareef's team beat Herro's by double digits, ending their tourney.

Stop lying.

I am not lying, I said Herro dominated in Vegas, not Playground Elite dominated. The team has not done well record wise all summer. Its hard to match up against teams with 3-4 high major guys when your team only has one high major guy with a bunch of mid major type players. Herro almost single handedly beat the team that won the whole thing in bracket play.

I still think we have a chance for Herro at MU. Just have to keep our fingers crossed. Hopefully there is still communication still going on.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8633 on: August 01, 2017, 08:34:59 AM »
Well, if ya no watt Shaq told him, I'm pretty sure heel give ya da skinny on commitin' ta MU, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #8634 on: August 01, 2017, 08:39:33 AM »
Oy vey

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8635 on: August 01, 2017, 08:54:12 AM »
I am not lying, I said Herro dominated in Vegas, not Playground Elite dominated. The team has not done well record wise all summer. Its hard to match up against teams with 3-4 high major guys when your team only has one high major guy with a bunch of mid major type players. Herro almost single handedly beat the team that won the whole thing in bracket play.

How many of his 4 games were you in the gym for? If more than half, you've got me beat.

California Stars & ABC - Sol aren't some world beaters - Herro had one strong game... well, 75% of the game. But he didn't have enough in the tank vs Cal Supreme, and they lost by double digits.

He's a very good player, but to claim he dominated, such that it finishes Joey's efforts (how many were you in the gym for?) is just plain stupid.

2 unimpressive wins; 2 double digit losses...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #8636 on: August 01, 2017, 09:23:30 AM »

I still think we have a chance for Herro at MU. Just have to keep our fingers crossed. Hopefully there is still communication still going on.

But this is exactly the problem. Herro dominated, but the team sucked.  In fact, the team sucked all summer (2-14 regular season record).  Basketball is a team sport, and the goal is for the team together to be greater than the sum of its parts.  It sounds like Herro has used the games as his personal highlight reel, instead of really working with the team to make the guys around him better.  Pretty sure we don't want a guy like that.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8637 on: August 01, 2017, 09:25:10 AM »
But this is exactly the problem. Herro dominated, but the team sucked.  In fact, the team sucked all summer (2-14 regular season record).  Basketball is a team sport, and the goal is for the team together to be greater than the sum of its parts.  It sounds like Herro has used the games as his personal highlight reel, instead of really working with the team to make the guys around him better.  Pretty sure we don't want a guy like that.

Hope he does that at UW as well
Maigh Eo for Sam

TommyMU

• Walk-On
« Reply #8638 on: August 01, 2017, 09:38:38 AM »
If Herro does change his mind and comes to MU I will be tracking how many of you guys turn tail and are thrilled about it.  Again, Cheesy and Freeport seem to have the most solid reports going on here. 

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #8639 on: August 01, 2017, 09:57:57 AM »
If Herro does change his mind and comes to MU I will be tracking how many of you guys turn tail and are thrilled about it.  Again, Cheesy and Freeport seem to have the most solid reports going on here.

Not happening.  If someone knows something different please contact Wojo and update him.  He should be made aware of this immediately.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8640 on: August 01, 2017, 10:11:13 AM »

I think all of us would be thrilled and I don't think anyone here would dispute that. The pushback isn't because we don't think Herro is a good player. The pushback is because we don't think he is the GOAT or that he "put WI basketball on the map."

As with most things on this board, if we laid off the hyperbole, everyone would agree.
TAMU

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8641 on: August 01, 2017, 10:14:14 AM »
Not happening.  If someone knows something different please contact Wojo and update him.  He should be made aware of this immediately.

LOVE IT.  Let his name be forever stricken from the recruiting thread.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #8642 on: August 01, 2017, 10:16:59 AM »

Does this mean Wojo doesn't consult Scoop for recruiting tips?  Color me disappointed.

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #8643 on: August 01, 2017, 10:17:31 AM »

As with most things on this board, if we laid off the hyperbole, everyone would agree.

Quite possibly the most astute observation of all time.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8644 on: August 01, 2017, 10:36:34 AM »

What about his was solid?  There were no stats or details other than an ambiguous 30 and claiming Shaq has anointed him an NBA star and exaggerations of his legend.  I think the musicians on the Strip are actually playing folk songs about Herro's performance right now.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8645 on: August 01, 2017, 10:36:59 AM »

Err, not.  This is actually quite sad.

Who is Jackie Moon the re-incarnation of?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #8646 on: August 01, 2017, 10:41:30 AM »
In fact, the team sucked all summer (2-14 regular season record).  Basketball is a team sport, and the goal is for the team together to be greater than the sum of its parts.  It sounds like Herro has used the games as his personal highlight reel, instead of really working with the team to make the guys around him better.  Pretty sure we don't want a guy like that.
Impossible.  Cheesyposter told us that all Herro cares about is winning...
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #8647 on: August 01, 2017, 10:50:03 AM »

In all seriousness, whether you are Herro, his father, a family member, or a close friend, all your posting here is doing is worsening the impression of a kid who already has the reputation of mouthy, me-first kind of player.  It certainly isn't producing anything positive.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8648 on: August 01, 2017, 10:59:49 AM »
Who is Jackie Moon the re-incarnation of?

MUFINY
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8649 on: August 01, 2017, 11:00:36 AM »
Quite possibly the most astute observation of all time.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

TAMU