[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8441548 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Recruiting as of 5/15/17
« Reply #7675 on: May 15, 2017, 03:39:39 PM »
I just wish Joey would make up his mind soon, so we can move on to pointless fretting over the next recruit Marquette could possibly lose out on.

And, of course, who we'd have to cut to make room for him.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7676 on: May 15, 2017, 03:41:59 PM »

Why would we have to do that?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7677 on: May 15, 2017, 03:50:05 PM »
Why would we have to do that?

Why do we ever have to do anything on Scoop?

I was referring to the situation where we are discussing the next must get recruit after Joey's commitment, if that's where your question comes from.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7678 on: May 15, 2017, 04:14:49 PM »

Someone will willingly transfer between now and a year from now.  I guarantee it.  If not, and you have the chance to land a top 50 recruit, you tell the 13th man on your roster to find greener pastures.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7679 on: May 15, 2017, 10:07:33 PM »
Someone will willingly transfer between now and a year from now.  I guarantee it.  If not, and you have the chance to land a top 50 recruit, you tell the 13th man on your roster to find greener pastures.
We still have to hope that young Mr. Bailey did not find Mrs. Bailey while on mission. That kind of thing happens a lot.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #7680 on: May 15, 2017, 10:12:32 PM »
We still have to hope that young Mr. Bailey did not find Mrs. Bailey while on mission. That kind of thing happens a lot.

Not positive, but I think you can be married and still go to college...

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7681 on: May 15, 2017, 10:18:56 PM »
Not positive, but I think you can be married and still go to college...
Your wife has to want to go to the same college. If that is the case no problem. If she has other ideas, he is as good as gone. Hopefully this circumstance will not manifest itself. Also Stan could leave and bring Bailey with him.
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7682 on: May 16, 2017, 12:10:52 AM »
I think many have an antiquated view of what the LDS mission is. Very few young Mormons go on missions and come back with wives. Culturally, members of the LDS faith do tend to get married younger, but that trend is regressing towards the mean with the most recent generation. I am as confident that Bailey will show up on campus in Fall 2018 as I am Markus Howard and Sam Hauser will. Always a chance something could happen but it is far more likely than not that nothing will happen.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7683 on: May 16, 2017, 01:12:31 AM »
I think many have an antiquated view of what the LDS mission is. Very few young Mormons go on missions and come back with wives. Culturally, members of the LDS faith do tend to get married younger, but that trend is regressing towards the mean with the most recent generation. I am as confident that Bailey will show up on campus in Fall 2018 as I am Markus Howard and Sam Hauser will. Always a chance something could happen but it is far more likely than not that nothing will happen.
A not inconsequential amount come back engaged and/or  change their commitments. That is a fact. Check out some of the recent quarterback history at Brigham Young for an example. A good friend of mine had a kid who was part of all of that drama. Nothing wrong with getting married or going on a mission,  but there are unique challenges involved for schools that take a kid on a mission.

We have to philosophically keep recruiting as if Brendan Bailey is still in play and needs to reconfirm his commitment again next spring.

Wojo and company are taking that attitude. As is evidenced by their hot pursuit of both Jeenathan Williams and Joey Hauser  with only one scholarship left as well as certain cryptic comments by Stan.

http://www.anonymouseagle.com/2017/4/28/15477312/marquette-golden-eagles-basketball-jeenathan-williams-2018-recruiting
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7684 on: May 16, 2017, 06:32:59 AM »
A not inconsequential amount come back engaged and/or  change their commitments. That is a fact. Check out some of the recent quarterback history at Brigham Young for an example. A good friend of mine had a kid who was part of all of that drama. Nothing wrong with getting married or going on a mission,  but there are unique challenges involved for schools that take a kid on a mission.

We have to philosophically keep recruiting as if Brendan Bailey is still in play and needs to reconfirm his commitment again next spring.

Wojo and company are taking that attitude. As is evidenced by their hot pursuit of both Jeenathan Williams and Joey Hauser  with only one scholarship left as well as certain cryptic comments by Stan.

http://www.anonymouseagle.com/2017/4/28/15477312/marquette-golden-eagles-basketball-jeenathan-williams-2018-recruiting

Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #7685 on: May 16, 2017, 06:51:44 AM »
A not inconsequential amount come back engaged and/or  change their commitments. That is a fact.

It is? Where?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #7686 on: May 16, 2017, 07:18:50 AM »
It is? Where?

Anecdotally, it's a fact

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7687 on: May 16, 2017, 07:19:02 AM »
I dunno. Saw "The Book of Mormon" and it wuz nothin' like dis, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7688 on: May 16, 2017, 07:32:23 AM »

While I do agree with the concept of ABR, I don't think the recruitment of Jeanathan Williams has anything to do with Brendan Bailey. In fact, I haven't heard us mentioned with Jeanathan Williams since the Greg Elliott commitment. We took 9 in home visits in April and Williams wasn't one of them. Doesn't mean we stopped recruiting him but it seems like that.

What cryptic comments did Stan make?

I worked at the University of Utah and got to interact with a ton of LDS students. So that is where my anecdotal understanding of LDS missions come from but could obviously be mistaken. I did a quick look for stories about BYU quarterbacks who came back from their missions married and didn't honor their commitments. I came up empty could you please give me some examples of what you are talking about?
TAMU

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #7689 on: May 16, 2017, 08:02:42 AM »
Well TAMU, the Rivals article with Williams was in late April.  He wants to visit two schools: Marquette and Syracuse. So it would seem MU is still recruiting him. To what extent, I don't know.

Williams claiming MU has him as the #1 priority, despite not getting a visit in April, makes me stop and say hmmmm. I'd rank at least Hauser and Grimes ahead of him. Several others would be at least on par with Williams, if not ahead of him.  So the Rivals article definitely adds to the recruiting mystery. It'll be interesting to see where things go.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7690 on: May 16, 2017, 08:18:12 AM »
All evidence suggests that Williams is on the back burner right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7691 on: May 16, 2017, 08:42:44 AM »
Well TAMU, the Rivals article with Williams was in late April.  He wants to visit two schools: Marquette and Syracuse. So it would seem MU is still recruiting him. To what extent, I don't know.

Williams claiming MU has him as the #1 priority, despite not getting a visit in April, makes me stop and say hmmmm. I'd rank at least Hauser and Grimes ahead of him. Several others would be at least on par with Williams, if not ahead of him.  So the Rivals article definitely adds to the recruiting mystery. It'll be interesting to see where things go.

I saw that article, I know Williams is interested in us. But I haven't seen us visiting him or watching his games. Could be missing things but it seems like he is no longer a priority.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7692 on: May 16, 2017, 08:50:51 AM »
I saw that article, I know Williams is interested in us. But I haven't seen us visiting him or watching his games. Could be missing things but it seems like he is no longer a priority.

Also, we don't know when the "number one target" comment was made. Enough recruits overstate their offers that it's tough to really know what was said and in what context.

Actions speak louder than words, and the actions of our recruiters indicate Joey and Grimes are the top targets for 2018.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7693 on: May 16, 2017, 09:14:26 AM »
Also, we don't know when the "number one target" comment was made. Enough recruits overstate their offers that it's tough to really know what was said and in what context.

Actions speak louder than words, and the actions of our recruiters indicate Joey and Grimes are the top targets for 2018.

"Williams is Marquette's #1 target" nonsense is on a par with the "Kentucky offered JFB" fiction from a few years back.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7694 on: May 16, 2017, 09:42:16 AM »
"Williams is Marquette's #1 target" nonsense is on a par with the "Kentucky offered JFB" fiction from a few years back.

Better tell Chad Ford.

As a freshman, Butler was Tyler's leading scorer and was an honorable mention juco All-American. College coaches around the country began to notice. By April of 2008, Butler had offers from Marquette, Kentucky, Clemson, Mississippi State and Iowa State.
http://www.espn.com/nba/draft2011/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=Butler-110618

And Todd Rosiak.

Butler, on the other hand, had an offer from Kentucky - his dream school - and was set to accept.
http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/107124358.html

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7695 on: May 16, 2017, 09:44:16 AM »

Remember when Bart Miller chose us over Stanford and Kentucky?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #7696 on: May 16, 2017, 10:06:07 AM »
Thanks Tamu, brew, and others. I too believe Williams is on the backburner, if not entirely off the stove.

I haven't seen many updates about who MU has been watching during the spring, so I would appreciate any links that can be provided. (I am familiar with Matt V's article about who was visited.)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7697 on: May 16, 2017, 10:15:49 AM »
Thanks Tamu, brew, and others. I too believe Williams is on the backburner, if not entirely off the stove.

I haven't seen many updates about who MU has been watching during the spring, so I would appreciate any links that can be provided. (I am familiar with Matt V's article about who was visited.)

Glow updates the latest scoop on Scoop on page 1, post 1 of this thread: "It takes a Scoop"

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #7698 on: May 16, 2017, 10:20:58 AM »
Glow updates the latest scoop on Scoop on page 1, post 1 of this thread: "It takes a Scoop"

I know, I have seen the list. But take Noah Locke for example. I know we offered and I see Wojo is following him on twitter. But I haven't seen articles saying "Marquette watched Noah Locke." I have seen 2 articles on Grimes, the Williams article, and one article on Watts. That is it. I'm asking if there are any other updates out there that I haven't seen.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7699 on: May 16, 2017, 10:23:07 AM »

That wasn't nonsense.  Butler did have an offer from Kentucky.  I think people don't understand what a scholarship offer actually is. It's not a job offer.  It's closer to an interview offer.
TAMU