[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8446137 times)

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 4/15/21
« Reply #29225 on: May 12, 2021, 11:23:14 PM »
Sales pitch: Which Big East programs are Villanova's top challengers on the recruiting trail?
By Jeff Borzello ESPN Staff Writer

Tier 1
Villanova

Tier 2
Connecticut
Georgetown
Marquette

Tier 3
Saint John’s
Providence
Xavier
Creighton
Seton Hall

Tier 4
Butler
De Paul

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #29226 on: May 12, 2021, 11:39:40 PM »
Jeff Bozello ESPN Staff Writer
Marquette is the clear leader when it comes to schools in the Midwest branch of the Big East. The Golden Eagles have plenty of history, including a national championship under Al McGuire in 1977, and they also have one big advantage over everyone else in the league: resources. Marquette has one of the biggest budgets of any school in the country -- something that helped woo Shaka Smart from Texas earlier this offseason.

"They're there with Villanova and Georgetown, in terms of great basketball tradition, essentially no football tradition ... Catholic school, great university in a big city, success with NBA players," one coach said. "Marquette games mean everything in that area. They might be more popular than the Bucks. I think they have a top-five budget in college basketball. It's a really invested program and university."

"He is a relentless recruiter," another coach said of Smart. "He will absolutely crush it at Marquette with their resources and facilities."

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #29227 on: May 13, 2021, 05:23:36 AM »
Marquette is the clear leader when it comes to schools in the Midwest branch of the Big East. The Golden Eagles have plenty of history, including a national championship under Al McGuire in 1977, and they also have one big advantage over everyone else in the league: resources. Marquette has one of the biggest budgets of any school in the country -- something that helped woo Shaka Smart from Texas earlier this offseason.

"They're there with Villanova and Georgetown, in terms of great basketball tradition, essentially no football tradition ... Catholic school, great university in a big city, success with NBA players," one coach said. "Marquette games mean everything in that area. They might be more popular than the Bucks. I think they have a top-five budget in college basketball. It's a really invested program and university."

"He is a relentless recruiter," another coach said of Smart. "He will absolutely crush it at Marquette with their resources and facilities."

Lol
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #29228 on: May 13, 2021, 07:36:14 AM »

In 2021, hell no.

In the Crean/Buzz years at Marquette that coincided with the Herb Kohl years for the Bucks? It's not too much of a stretch.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #29229 on: May 13, 2021, 07:58:46 AM »
Sales pitch: Which Big East programs are Villanova's top challengers on the recruiting trail?
By Jeff Borzello ESPN Staff Writer

Tier 1
Villanova

Tier 2
Connecticut
Georgetown
Marquette

Tier 3
Saint John’s
Providence
Xavier
Creighton
Seton Hall

Tier 4
Butler
De Paul

It would be interesting to hear how he came up with this. The factors that come to my mind are recent success of a team/coach (especially the tourney), NBA alumni, facilities, geographical location. How did he weight these factors?   
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #29230 on: May 13, 2021, 08:17:54 AM »
In 2021, hell no.

In the Crean/Buzz years at Marquette that coincided with the Herb Kohl years for the Bucks? It's not too much of a stretch.

Of course it’s not true.  But the perception helps.  I like it.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #29231 on: May 13, 2021, 08:18:55 AM »
It would be interesting to hear how he came up with this. The factors that come to my mind are recent success of a team/coach (especially the tourney), NBA alumni, facilities, geographical location. How did he weight these factors?
Jeff Borzello ESPN Staff Writer
Last week, we started our Sales Pitch series by ranking the schools in the ACC based on the quality of their enticements for men's basketball recruits, also debating the schools that do the most with fewer resources and those our team would consider "sleeping giants."

This week, we'll continue our exercise by examining the Big East, where Villanova has owned a clear advantage over the league's other schools but the recruiting climate is heated in a conference where 10 of 11 schools have made at least one of the past three NCAA tournaments.

By way of reminder, ESPN spoke with a wide variety of anonymous coaches across college basketball's top seven leagues (as rated by KenPom and other relevant metrics systems), as well as the nationally relevant programs beyond those conferences, for our Sales Pitch feature. Over a seven-week period, we'll rank the programs in order of which have the best sales pitches for recruits and transfers.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #29232 on: May 13, 2021, 08:24:56 AM »
Jeff Borzello ESPN Staff Writer
Last week, we started our Sales Pitch series by ranking the schools in the ACC based on the quality of their enticements for men's basketball recruits, also debating the schools that do the most with fewer resources and those our team would consider "sleeping giants."

This week, we'll continue our exercise by examining the Big East, where Villanova has owned a clear advantage over the league's other schools but the recruiting climate is heated in a conference where 10 of 11 schools have made at least one of the past three NCAA tournaments.

By way of reminder, ESPN spoke with a wide variety of anonymous coaches across college basketball's top seven leagues (as rated by KenPom and other relevant metrics systems), as well as the nationally relevant programs beyond those conferences, for our Sales Pitch feature. Over a seven-week period, we'll rank the programs in order of which have the best sales pitches for recruits and transfers.

I agree with some of the quotes in that Borzello article but even in their recent best years, Marquette games didn’t mean “everything” to the area.  That’s 1977 thinking.  It’s simply the truth.  Wisconsin Badger basketball has as much meaning as Marquette basketball in the Milwaukee area.  I don’t like it, but to think otherwise is simply wrong.

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #29233 on: May 13, 2021, 08:28:09 AM »

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #29234 on: May 13, 2021, 08:59:04 AM »
Judging from this poll, and from the national perception of MU's resources, history and commitment to competing at a high-level, I would think that (in time) the Wojo era will be looked down upon even more (given the inconsistency and inability to secure tournament bids and/or wins).

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #29235 on: May 13, 2021, 09:36:34 AM »
Wojo-era sucked.  I hope we go back to being able to beat Seton Hall again.  And not losing to DePaul on our home court. And not having to listen to timeouts where the coach can't say anything intelligible.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #29236 on: May 13, 2021, 09:40:04 AM »
Wojo-era sucked.  I hope we go back to being able to beat Seton Hall again.  And not losing to DePaul on our home court. And not having to listen to timeouts where the coach can't say anything intelligible.

Wojo sucked but the fascination and importance some people continue to assign to those televised timeouts is bizarre. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29237 on: May 13, 2021, 09:46:49 AM »
I really hope the recruiting thread can again become bogged down with a debate about Wojo's coaching skills, cuddles, etc.

It's what Scoop really needs -- more Wojo hate, less recruiting news.

Also, can you believe Vander's refusal to do a slap of five?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Viper

• All American
« Reply #29238 on: May 13, 2021, 10:02:09 AM »
I agree with some of the quotes in that Borzello article but even in their recent best years, Marquette games didn’t mean “everything” to the area.  That’s 1977 thinking.  It’s simply the truth.  Wisconsin Badger basketball has as much meaning as Marquette basketball in the Milwaukee area.  I don’t like it, but to think otherwise is simply wrong.
you are correct. Even on Marquette’s flagship radio station in Milwaukee (ESPN 540 and 94.5), UW gets a lot of coverage. Heck, two formers Badgers have their own show on the station!! Winning will resolve 2nd tier exposure status, but Borzello is a bit over-the-top. (Who knows, maybe UWMilwaukee is the next top dog in town. 😀)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #29239 on: May 13, 2021, 10:06:07 AM »
I don't really know how much Marquette can overcome UW's status in Milwaukee.  But I also don't think it matters.  The Marquette fanbase is plenty passionate and loyal.  It doesn't see to win a popularity contest with UW-Madison.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29240 on: May 13, 2021, 10:12:44 AM »
I don't really know how much Marquette can overcome UW's status in Milwaukee.  But I also don't think it matters.  The Marquette fanbase is plenty passionate and loyal.  It doesn't see to win a popularity contest with UW-Madison.

Only chance would be UW to drop to complete irrelevance again while we hit Al level again. Which I doubt ever happens since UW's system will always position them for the perfect hyped up farm boys that buy in, red shirt and play till they're 27.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #29241 on: May 13, 2021, 10:33:55 AM »
Only chance would be UW to drop to complete irrelevance again while we hit Al level again. Which I doubt ever happens since UW's system will always position them for the perfect hyped up farm boys that buy in, red shirt and play till they're 27.

Not many "farm boys" on the UW team.  Mostly suburbanites from Minnesota.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #29242 on: May 13, 2021, 11:59:24 AM »

I still think of the Badgers basketball team as an after thought to their football team.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #29243 on: May 13, 2021, 12:13:03 PM »

Same thing 😂

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #29244 on: May 13, 2021, 01:42:35 PM »

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #29245 on: May 13, 2021, 01:48:04 PM »

True agree it might not be entirely accurate but I like how Borzello talks up the Marquette program.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #29246 on: May 13, 2021, 01:51:43 PM »
I still think of the Badgers basketball team as an after thought to their football team.

Honestly, their fans still do too.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #29247 on: May 13, 2021, 08:25:45 PM »

...all 25+ yrs old 😂

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #29248 on: May 13, 2021, 09:00:21 PM »
In recruiting-ish news, Evan Flood put in a crystal ball pick for Seth Trimble to Michigan.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #29249 on: May 13, 2021, 09:59:48 PM »
In recruiting-ish news, Evan Flood put in a crystal ball pick for Seth Trimble to Michigan.

Unsurprising. He basically stated it was his dream school
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

feedback