[Today at 02:22:57 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8472448 times)

AverageJoe

• Walk-On
Re: Recruiting as of 12/15/19
« Reply #24000 on: January 09, 2020, 02:39:13 PM »
My son is born in April and bc of some aggressive "kindergarten red shirting" practices he's one of the youngest in his class.  It's really nuts how summer bdays are now routinely held back a year.

"Kindergarten red shirting" - nice terminology.  My two oldest have/had classmates over a year older than them in their grade school classes.  They also seem to be the best at sports...

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #24001 on: January 09, 2020, 02:45:19 PM »
"Kindergarten red shirting" - nice terminology.  My two oldest have/had classmates over a year older than them in their grade school classes.  They also seem to be the best at sports...

Jon Beilein recruited a lot of these at Michigan.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #24002 on: January 09, 2020, 04:34:18 PM »
Same here, my youngest is always the youngest in her class and "playing up" in a sense.  I think this has been beneficial more so than a detriment though--playing tougher competition has helped, just like when so many younger siblings learn by having their older sibling beat the crap out of them on the court/field.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24003 on: January 09, 2020, 05:19:16 PM »

I had a couple in my grade school class. Of all of them one went to play D3 so a lot of good it did
Maigh Eo for Sam

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24004 on: January 09, 2020, 05:19:47 PM »
Per Evan Daniels today:

Sounds like the visit went well.

It did.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24005 on: January 09, 2020, 05:24:50 PM »
Jon Beilein recruited a lot of these at Michigan.

SLUGS
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24006 on: January 09, 2020, 05:25:26 PM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24007 on: January 09, 2020, 05:28:37 PM »
My son is born in April and bc of some aggressive "kindergarten red shirting" practices he's one of the youngest in his class.  It's really nuts how summer bdays are now routinely held back a year.

My mom taught K through 3rd for 40 years.  Our son has a November birthday and in our school disrict the deadline back in the day was December.  He could be the youngest in the class or wait a year. My mom told us based on her experience, especially with boys...delay.  Worked out great for him.  Did great academically, was very good athletically (especially for his size)....all conference, all state, etc.  If he had gone in when he did, I know the athletics would not have happened to the same degree because he was a later bloomer, and academically I have my doubts.

The district has since moved the deadline up to Sept, so if he was born today it would have aligned the way we chose to do it... essentially changed it because they knew how stupid their original cutoff date is.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #24008 on: January 09, 2020, 05:29:37 PM »
It did.

Should I plan on heading to the bunker soon?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #24009 on: January 09, 2020, 07:31:46 PM »
It did.

Love it. Appreciate your insight
Bring back FFP!!!

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #24010 on: January 09, 2020, 09:21:37 PM »

B@st@rds!!!  LOL

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #24011 on: January 10, 2020, 12:06:37 AM »

I know you are kinda joking, but....

When Malcolm Gladwell was at a pro hockey game in Canada with his wife, she noticed that the majority of players were born early in the year. Thinking it couldn't be a coincidence, he took the time to look into it. What happens, is ... at the ages of 5, 6, 7, etc., 6 months is a huge age difference as far as skill and coordination. With the huge kids' hockey system there, that meant that the kids who were born earlier in the year were more advanced, Hence, they were the ones who got selected to all-star teams, etc, which means they got more and better coaching which means they advanced even more compared to kids who may have only been 6 months of so younger. The process continues and those kids are the ones who become the majority of future pros.

I apologize for putting this in the recruiting thread.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #24012 on: January 10, 2020, 12:12:58 AM »
My mom taught K through 3rd for 40 years.  Our son has a November birthday and in our school disrict the deadline back in the day was December.  He could be the youngest in the class or wait a year. My mom told us based on her experience, especially with boys...delay.  Worked out great for him.  Did great academically, was very good athletically (especially for his size)....all conference, all state, etc.  If he had gone in when he did, I know the athletics would not have happened to the same degree because he was a later bloomer, and academically I have my doubts.

The district has since moved the deadline up to Sept, so if he was born today it would have aligned the way we chose to do it... essentially changed it because they knew how stupid their original cutoff date is.

Amazing

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #24013 on: January 10, 2020, 03:12:05 AM »
Goal is National Championship

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #24014 on: January 10, 2020, 10:23:33 AM »

When Malcolm Gladwell was at a pro hockey game in Canada with his wife, she noticed that the majority of players were born early in the year. Thinking it couldn't be a coincidence, he took the time to look into it. What happens, is ... at the ages of 5, 6, 7, etc., 6 months is a huge age difference as far as skill and coordination. With the huge kids' hockey system there, that meant that the kids who were born earlier in the year were more advanced, Hence, they were the ones who got selected to all-star teams, etc, which means they got more and better coaching which means they advanced even more compared to kids who may have only been 6 months of so younger. The process continues and those kids are the ones who become the majority of future pros.

Good post. I believe this correlation was also observed in European soccer.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #24015 on: January 10, 2020, 04:06:20 PM »

This is a chapter in his book "Outliers"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24016 on: January 10, 2020, 07:34:55 PM »
@AdamZagoria: Assistants from @UConnMBB and @MarquetteMBB and Jimmy Engles of @CULionsMBB here for a bunch of guys including Jaylen Blakes, Kyle Cuffe Jr., Samson Johnson https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/1215804362985025537

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24017 on: January 10, 2020, 07:48:09 PM »
Amazing

Selectively outraged again......

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #24018 on: January 10, 2020, 08:00:51 PM »
@AdamZagoria: Assistants from @UConnMBB and @MarquetteMBB and Jimmy Engles of @CULionsMBB here for a bunch of guys including Jaylen Blakes, Kyle Cuffe Jr., Samson Johnson https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/1215804362985025537

Thanks, some big names injured and not playing

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24019 on: January 10, 2020, 08:11:03 PM »

Any “cut off date” is the same as any other one. None are “smart” or “stupid”. No matter the date, some will game the system to make sure junior is the oldest, one of the oldest or not one of the youngest in his class.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #24020 on: January 10, 2020, 08:59:25 PM »
Any “cut off date” is the same as any other one. None are “smart” or “stupid”. No matter the date, some will game the system to make sure junior is the oldest, one of the oldest or not one of the youngest in his class.

The best athletes are the best athletes, dwade, jimmy butler, u think they gave an f what month they were born??  Chicos kid all state?, like everything else he says i call bull f’n shiyt
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #24021 on: January 10, 2020, 10:05:30 PM »
The best athletes are the best athletes, dwade, jimmy butler, u think they gave an f what month they were born??  Chicos kid all state?, like everything else he says i call bull f’n shiyt

Statistics show that a child's chances of making it in pro sports are better if they are the "oldest" in their class or age group.  That's a fact supported by empirical data using thousands or even millions of data points.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/birthday-effect-college-athletics

Just because Dwyane Wade's birthday is in January doesn't disprove the statistics.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #24022 on: January 10, 2020, 10:08:32 PM »
Statistics show that a child's chances of making it in pro sports are better if they are the "oldest" in their class or age group.  That's a fact supported by empirical data using thousands or even millions of data points.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/birthday-effect-college-athletics

Just because Dwyane Wade's birthday is in January doesn't disprove the statistics.

Damn stubborn facts.... Mumble... Grumble

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #24023 on: January 10, 2020, 10:37:12 PM »
From all reports, Dawson and Osa can handle the ball a bit, in stark contrast to this years bigs. (I'm not sure about Lewis' handle). That should take some pressure off the point next year and allow for a much more balanced scoring attack.

I understand this in theory, but disagree. When it comes to handling the ball, having a dude at PG be the “man” in that regard is very necessary in my opinion. Too many cooks and no head chef leads us to what we had last year. The ball ends up in the hands of the best scorer, and if they are not a great ball handler, it gets messy.  Instead of the instinctive get Sy (for example) the ball cause he’s reliable, it flows to the stud on the team, even if they aren’t the best handler.

I’m fine with a score first PG, but as long as they are a PG in offense initiation and ball handling/security. For example, Winston leads MSU in scoring, but he’s the clear leader in ball handling

MuMark

• All American

feedback