Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8772890 times)

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
Re: Recruiting as of 12/15/19
« Reply #23750 on: December 26, 2019, 09:21:23 AM »
Joey’s a “team guy”...LOL

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #23751 on: December 26, 2019, 09:25:38 AM »
Joey is not a current or prospective recruit. Get this chit outta here.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23752 on: December 26, 2019, 09:29:04 AM »

Amen.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #23753 on: December 26, 2019, 11:24:09 AM »
You're right. News about a "quitter" who cost us a great three year player doesn't belong here.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23754 on: December 26, 2019, 11:37:50 AM »
My feeling is KB could be the most important Wojo recruit yet. Dawson is great and looks to be a star - but as we've seen from Henry and Markus one star alone won't get us to where we want to be. If we can start getting rosters with multiple 5 stars spread across classes with good 4 star supporting players (assuming Dawson isnt one and done) I think that really takes us to the next level. I know nothing about KBs recruitment, but a little run in March this year couldn't hurt. If we could somehow make S16 with this team then he must think about what he, Dawson and the others could do in 2022.

Back to recruiting, folks ...

We're only a month removed from having signed the last "most important Wojo recruit yet" ... but I do get what you're saying. We want to have balanced classes, and to keep landing outstanding players, year after year. In an ideal world, stack great recruiting classes, as all the best basketball schools do.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23755 on: December 26, 2019, 11:50:15 AM »

We're only a month removed from having signed the last "most important Wojo recruit yet" ... but I do get what you're saying. We want to have balanced classes, and to keep landing outstanding players, year after year. In an ideal world, stack great recruiting classes, as all the best basketball schools do.

Also worth remembering we're now just over a week away from Karim Mane's visit. Hopefully recruiting info should pick back up soon.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23756 on: December 26, 2019, 01:57:40 PM »
Also worth remembering we're now just over a week away from Karim Mane's visit. Hopefully recruiting info should pick back up soon.

Yessir.

And to celebrate, I won't change my screen name to KM82. You're welcome, everybody!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23757 on: December 26, 2019, 05:18:09 PM »

"The most important recruit is the next recruit."
Source : Coaching Cliches for Dummies

1SE

• All American
« Reply #23758 on: December 26, 2019, 05:39:48 PM »
I guess what I'm saying is we've seen that Wojo can bring in *one* guy - multiple times. Dawson  is a fantastic get but really not that much different generically than Henry (or Markus or Joey). Getting two 5 stars in back to back classes would mark a qualitative change in his recruiting success.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #23759 on: December 26, 2019, 06:12:59 PM »
I guess what I'm saying is we've seen that Wojo can bring in *one* guy - multiple times. Dawson  is a fantastic get but really not that much different generically than Henry (or Markus or Joey). Getting two 5 stars in back to back classes would mark a qualitative change in his recruiting success.
Wojo has signed  two very outstanding young players who can immediately contribute  in this 2020 class. Justin and  Dawson. Look at quality of talent on this roster and we have two guys :

https://www.usab.com/mens/junior-national/roster/2020.aspx

What would take Wojo to the next level of recruiting success is to put some decent NCAA tournament runs together. Right now he can sell the promising prospects the concept of being the man and can get some takers, but to get top players year after year means Wojo has to sell the upside of being on a winning team.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23760 on: December 26, 2019, 07:31:40 PM »
Wojo has signed  two very outstanding young players who can immediately contribute  in this 2020 class. Justin and  Dawson.

I agree with HC here. Lewis has been a USA Basketball regular for awhile now. I think he’s a very high floor player.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23761 on: December 26, 2019, 07:47:45 PM »

I'm encouraged that he's getting a lot of great players to campus and signing quite a few of them. Like everybody, I want us to get the best. Lots of competition out there. We're competing quite well.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #23762 on: December 26, 2019, 08:01:22 PM »
Just get good players......and lots of them.....that complement each other., get good grades and stay out of trouble.

Some services don’t have Garcia as a 5 star......who cares? I’ve seen him play enough to know he’s really good.....nothing magic to me about being ranked 21 and a 5 star by some and 45 and 4 star by others.

Ps Wojo offered Garcia long before he knew what he would be ranked 2 years later.......getting 5 stars is fine.....but you better surround them with other good players that will be around for 2-4 years.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23763 on: December 26, 2019, 11:10:34 PM »
Wojo has signed  two very outstanding young players who can immediately contribute  in this 2020 class. Justin and  Dawson. Look at quality of talent on this roster and we have two guys :

https://www.usab.com/mens/junior-national/roster/2020.aspx

What would take Wojo to the next level of recruiting success is to put some decent NCAA tournament runs together. Right now he can sell the promising prospects the concept of being the man and can get some takers, but to get top players year after year means Wojo has to sell the upside of being on a winning team.

That depends in today’s college basketball, there are some of high profile guys that don’t care a ton about winning and more about getting to the NBA.  Look at some of the programs they have signed with to prove my points.  Ben Simmons to LSU.  Memphis recent signing.  Massey to Western Kentucky.  craptu to Vanderbilt, Brown to Nevada. Porter to SC.  Dort to ASU.  Duke and Reeves to Providence.  Etc.

Of course some kids want to win and go deep, but let’s not kid ourselves that there are a number of kids where that is icing on the cake only, they want to hit the NBA.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #23764 on: December 26, 2019, 11:26:12 PM »

This would completely change the qualitative metrics for Marquette has MU has never had a back to back class with a five star. As a matter of fact MU has only had one composite 5 star recruit since 2000 and that was Henry. If Dawson finishes as a five he would be the second since 2000. To get back to back MU would need another one which means we would have 3 since 2000. All coming in under Wojo.

Markus wAs also fringe 5 star until he reclassified. If he didn’t we could have been looking at a five every other year.

That seems like rarified air already.  Add to that MU has only had 5 top 15 classes assuming this one sticks. If so Wojo will have two of those.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23765 on: December 27, 2019, 12:44:18 AM »
This would completely change the qualitative metrics for Marquette has MU has never had a back to back class with a five star. As a matter of fact MU has only had one composite 5 star recruit since 2000 and that was Henry. If Dawson finishes as a five he would be the second since 2000. To get back to back MU would need another one which means we would have 3 since 2000. All coming in under Wojo.

Markus wAs also fringe 5 star until he reclassified. If he didn’t we could have been looking at a five every other year.

That seems like rarified air already.  Add to that MU has only had 5 top 15 classes assuming this one sticks. If so Wojo will have two of those.

Which is why people wanting to pull the rip cord and start over just blow my mind away.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #23766 on: December 27, 2019, 04:45:54 AM »
Which is why people wanting to pull the rip cord and start over just blow my mind away.
Yes. Absolutely need 10 more years of BEast and NCAA flameout to fully and fairly evaluate Wojo as a coach.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23767 on: December 27, 2019, 06:33:54 AM »
That depends in today’s college basketball, there are some of high profile guys that don’t care a ton about winning and more about getting to the NBA.  Look at some of the programs they have signed with to prove my points.  Ben Simmons to LSU.  Memphis recent signing.  Massey to Western Kentucky.  craptu to Vanderbilt, Brown to Nevada. Porter to SC.  Dort to ASU.  Duke and Reeves to Providence.  Etc.

Of course some kids want to win and go deep, but let’s not kid ourselves that there are a number of kids where that is icing on the cake only, they want to hit the NBA.

You have no idea what their motivations are.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23768 on: December 27, 2019, 06:36:54 AM »
You have no idea what their motivations are.

For some of them, I simply read what they say....unless you are saying they are lying.  But you are correct, I do not know what all of their intentions are...nor do you.  I can on,y go by what they say, if they bother to at all.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23769 on: December 27, 2019, 06:37:34 AM »
Yes. Absolutely need 10 more years of BEast and NCAA flameout to fully and fairly evaluate Wojo as a coach.

Math is one of the first things to go...eh?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #23770 on: December 27, 2019, 07:14:08 AM »

While that would be nice, geting a five star with complimentary talent to play well together as a team is really all that is needed. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23771 on: December 27, 2019, 07:19:47 AM »
For some of them, I simply read what they say....unless you are saying they are lying.  But you are correct, I do not know what all of their intentions are...nor do you.  I can on,y go by what they say, if they bother to at all.

I'm not saying anything about the kids or their intentions.  I'm not pretending I know what they are.  You're the one claiming some of the recruits that choose programs outside of the blue bloods are going there only to get to the NBA and don't really care about team success.  Since you're just reciting what they said, please show me the quotes where the Memphis, LSU, Western Kentucky, Vanderbilt, USC, Arizona State, Nevada, and Providence kids said they didn’t care about team success their only goal is to make it to the NBA.

And if that’s their only goal then the best route is unquestionably Kentucky.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 07:53:01 AM by wadesworld »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23772 on: December 27, 2019, 08:39:17 AM »
How many 5-stars do Virginia and Villanova routinely get?

Many MU fans have said repeatedly that they would be overjoyed if we could get to the level of those schools. Or even back to Buzz's level at MU; how many 5-stars did he get?

Wojo needs to bring in lots of great and very good and good players, and coach them in a way that they play well together. He has done a pretty good job of bringing in players -- always room for improvement, but his recruiting has been more than acceptable IMHO. Although his coaching has improved as he has gained experience, he needs to manage egos better than he did last season, and he needs to keep getting better as a practice and game coach.

That he needs to keep recruiting well goes in the "duh" file. Every college coach that wants to win consistently needs to recruit well.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #23773 on: December 27, 2019, 08:42:33 AM »

You are inferring something that you can’t which is they signed with these teams because they don’t care to win or that it isn’t a priority.  There could be an infinite number of reasons like proximity to home, relationship with the coach or a bag of money. Also if they are as good as they are supposed to be they should be the reason they win which indicates confidence in their abilities.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23774 on: December 27, 2019, 08:53:13 AM »
NM