Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8465524 times)

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Re: Recruiting as of 7/1/16
« Reply #2250 on: July 11, 2016, 01:45:43 PM »
Except that when a kid doesn't like his first choice after one year and wants to transfer.  Then the time that you spent building that relationship with him but finishing runner up may end up paying off after all.

Fingers crossed that you left a spot open!
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2251 on: July 11, 2016, 01:52:07 PM »
Nope. That's dumb. When they cut their list, you are better off getting cut if you aren't going to land them. How much did Kevon Looney and Diamond Stone help Wisconsin? Buzz and Wojo respectively knew they wouldn't land those players and didn't waste time on them. Wisconsin did and ended up getting nothing for their efforts but time and money lost, time and money that could have been invested in other, more likely recruits.

OK, but at least in Stone's case, UW had every reason to believe they were in it to the very end. It's really not fair to suggest they wasted time or money on that recruiting effort.
I agree that it's a foolish use of resources to go hard after a kid that makes you seventh on his list of finalists, but losing out on a recruit is not automatically a wasted effort.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2252 on: July 11, 2016, 03:01:23 PM »
Except that when a kid doesn't like his first choice after one year and wants to transfer.  Then the time that you spent building that relationship with him but finishing runner up may end up paying off after all.

FWIW, I think that this board can spend too much time pining for other's castoffs.  Let's get 'em in the first go round, unless a grad trnsfer fills a need.  Buzz got Fischer even though I don't recall he put much effort into that recruitiment when Luke was in HS.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2253 on: July 11, 2016, 03:08:49 PM »
FWIW, I think that this board can spend too much time pining for other's castoffs.  Let's get 'em in the first go round, unless a grad trnsfer fills a need.  Buzz got Fischer even though I don't recall he put much effort into that recruitiment when Luke was in HS.

I don't disagree at all.  I'm just saying that finishing second isn't automatically the exact same as finishing last in all cases.  Another potential 2nd place finish that could turn out to be a good thing even though you don't end up with that player is if there's a younger sibling who's also a high major D1 player, you already have a strong relationship with the family, etc.  2nd isn't worse than first cut all the time, or heck, even most of the time.  Sure, if some top 5 kid lists Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, Duke, and Arizona as his final 5 and Wojo and staff continue to go hard after the kid for months there's an issue.  But going after a kid who's showing mutual interest and finishing 2nd isn't a bad thing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2254 on: July 11, 2016, 03:26:20 PM »
Surprised to hear we ever were the favorite for Herro.  I always go the feeling he wanted blue bloods but would most likely end up at Wisconsin, following in Koenig's footsteps.
They were head over heals for Wojo when he offered. And Gard offered first, right after Bo left.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2255 on: July 11, 2016, 03:40:38 PM »

I also don't believe Wojo had a relationship with Carlino, Rowsey, or Levin. When a kid knows the destination before he leaves then I agree that past relationship could help, but that's not at all a given.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #2256 on: July 11, 2016, 04:16:51 PM »
I don't disagree at all.  I'm just saying that finishing second isn't automatically the exact same as finishing last in all cases.  Another potential 2nd place finish that could turn out to be a good thing even though you don't end up with that player is if there's a younger sibling who's also a high major D1 player, you already have a strong relationship with the family, etc.  2nd isn't worse than first cut all the time, or heck, even most of the time.  Sure, if some top 5 kid lists Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, Duke, and Arizona as his final 5 and Wojo and staff continue to go hard after the kid for months there's an issue.  But going after a kid who's showing mutual interest and finishing 2nd isn't a bad thing.

Being close on a recruit (in the final 3-5) doesn't count any more than being close in the final score of a game. A win's a win. A loss is a loss.

That being said, not all losses are equal. I think it's a good sign if we're among the final 5 for a number of top recruits. It indicates a few things:

1) Our recruiting staff is putting in the work;
2) We're targeting players who fit our program; and
3) We're consistently in the running against other top schools

Sure, you have to close the deal. But there's a better chance of that if you're cultivating interest with a number of players. Nobody, not even Duke or Kentucky, signs 100% of the recruits they offer.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #2257 on: July 11, 2016, 04:42:36 PM »
You can't close the deal if you aren't in it at the end.

Anytime we are in the final group for a guy that we want it is a good thing.

If we are one of the favorites for 5 or 6 of our top targets then we have a decent chance to get 2 or 3.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #2258 on: July 11, 2016, 07:17:11 PM »
So the Badgers just got a verbal from a 4 star pg to gone along with the 4 star 2 guard they already had in 2017. Does that mean that Herro will look else ware now that they have "recruited over" him?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2259 on: July 11, 2016, 07:19:51 PM »
So the Badgers just got a verbal from a 4 star pg to gone along with the 4 star 2 guard they already had in 2017. Does that mean that Herro will look else ware now that they have "recruited over" him?

Brad is an incredible shooter. Would think the hope is they can play him at the 1, but he's a combo guard. Could this be a less-than-insignificant occurrence for Herro? Sure.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #2260 on: July 11, 2016, 07:39:05 PM »
If you can only take 1 Jaybee......who you taking.....Brad or Markus? I haven't seen Brad play so I'm interested in your opinion. Who is the better PG prospect?

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2261 on: July 11, 2016, 07:54:03 PM »
King (I believe the 4star you are referring to) and Herro are tight and King was a badger first. That is not being recruited over. Ayo (and Kezo Brown) from Mac Irvin are "rivals" and have been looking at the same position and schollys. Herro thinks he is MUCH better than both. Just looking at the depth chart, if Herro were to sign with UW, I think he ends up getting as much PT his soph year as King and more than Pritzl if he ever gets on the floor. Herro is a much more complete player than Pritzl IMO. Pritzl doesn't have anything close to Herro's pull-up game or length.

Where I think it gets interesting is if Sam Hauser loves MU and experiences personal and team success. If Joey signs, and Markus Howard ends up being the stud point we think he can be, who wouldn't want to be a 2 in that system? I wouldn't call Hauser and Herro best friends, but they are friendly, and the most important thing to Herro is winning. And if Happ ends up being to only decent player left at UW? Who knows? I don't think much of Schlundt or Pritzl, and I think it is entirely possible King doesn't pan out to be stud they think he will be.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2262 on: July 11, 2016, 08:16:41 PM »
Is it wrong for me to think that Gard is bringing another layer of intensity to UW's recruting?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2263 on: July 11, 2016, 08:24:06 PM »
If you can only take 1 Jaybee......who you taking.....Brad or Markus? I haven't seen Brad play so I'm interested in your opinion. Who is the better PG prospect?

Oh man, it's not even a conversation. You may see people calling them both "4 stars" but there's a huge gap.

Markus is legit.

Brad lives in my town and is a stud QB as well, just a stand up kid. Impossible not to cheer for him - but until this spring I thought he should go MM.

That said, his confidence AND shooting this spring/summer has been unreal. Very deserving & a good fit at us-Madison.

For MU though? Markus by a million miles & it's not close.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #2264 on: July 11, 2016, 08:56:37 PM »
Can someone please clarify a few things about recruiting visits?

My understanding is that high school players can't make official visits until the first day of classes of their senior year. And they can only make a total of 5 official visits. So has Theo John said that he's planning to take an official visit to Marquette? Has he announced official visits to other schools?

Or, does the "Offered/Visiting" note on page 1 refer to him planning an unofficial visit to MU?

24/7 Sports states that John made official visits to both Purdue (6/18/16) and Oklahoma (4/9/16) this year. Either this info is wrong (since these dates are before his senior year begins), or I've got the regulations wrong — right?

My apologies if this is obvious stuff. But I find it perfectly confusing.

http://247sports.com/Player/Theo-John-77558/TimelineEvents

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2265 on: July 11, 2016, 09:02:41 PM »
Can someone please clarify a few things about recruiting visits?

My understanding is that high school players can't make official visits until the first day of classes of their senior year. And they can only make a total of 5 official visits. So has Theo John said that he's planning to take an official visit to Marquette? Has he announced official visits to other schools?

Or, does the "Offered/Visiting" note on page 1 refer to him planning an unofficial visit to MU?

24/7 Sports states that John made official visits to both Purdue (6/18/16) and Oklahoma (4/9/16) this year. Either this info is wrong (since these dates are before his senior year begins), or I've got the regulations wrong — right?

My apologies if this is obvious stuff. But I find it perfectly confusing.

http://247sports.com/Player/Theo-John-77558/TimelineEvents

Your understanding is wrong; details sometime when I'm not on the phone

Jan 1 Jr yr is key date
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:04:24 PM by Jay Bee »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #2266 on: July 11, 2016, 09:09:03 PM »

Jan 1 Jr yr is key date

Thanks. That actually makes sense — otherwise players couldn't take an official visit if they want to commit during their junior year. I've been looking for info on the NCAA's site, but couldn't seem to track it down.

So, a follow-up: Has Theo John said he plans an official or unofficial visit to MU?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #2267 on: July 11, 2016, 09:26:45 PM »
Theo has already visited MU unofficially and he said in May that he wants to visit MU officially.

Things change rapidly though so who really knows?

https://basketballrecruiting.n.rivals.com/news/rivals150-power-forward-slowing-things-down

Here he says he is taking an official to MU in the fall

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/667220?referrer_id=
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:33:50 PM by MuMark »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #2269 on: July 11, 2016, 09:44:59 PM »
Liam McMorrow is on ESPN2 now.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2270 on: July 11, 2016, 10:33:11 PM »

Jan 1 Jr yr is key date

We need Theo John. 

Is he playing in Mpls tourney this weekend?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2271 on: July 11, 2016, 11:00:21 PM »
We need Theo John. 

Is he playing in Mpls tourney this weekend?
Need to get Theo back on campus.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #2272 on: July 11, 2016, 11:31:46 PM »
Theo has already visited MU unofficially and he said in May that he wants to visit MU officially.

Things change rapidly though so who really knows?

https://basketballrecruiting.n.rivals.com/news/rivals150-power-forward-slowing-things-down

Here he says he is taking an official to MU in the fall

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/667220?referrer_id=

Much appreciated. Already having a commitment from Eke is a great start toward building the front court for the future. Landing John as well would make for a formidable young combo. If we can get him on campus for an official visit, that has to be a good sign. I'll take our chances recruiting against the Gophers any day.

I'm also very intrigued by Bruno Fernando. From the videos I've seen, not only does he have excellent size at 6-10 but also good hands and anticipation on rebounds and loose balls. Not sure what our chances are. Seems like much more of a long shot.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #2273 on: July 11, 2016, 11:42:29 PM »
If we don't land another high school big man for the Class of 2017, I've got to think we'll go after a mid-season transfer or grad transfer again.

Who's the next Luke Fischer?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:46:41 PM by Marcus92 »

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #2274 on: July 12, 2016, 12:15:03 AM »
Need to get Theo back on campus.

Kidnapping him will probably sour him on the program.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle