[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8459037 times)

TedBaxter

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 7/1/16
« Reply #2225 on: July 10, 2016, 11:01:33 AM »
Wojo watching Terrence Lewis in Mequon this morning.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2226 on: July 10, 2016, 12:53:31 PM »
Wojo watching Terrence Lewis in Mequon this morning.
Thanks for the update.

Would be nice for us to pick up another hometown kid. Terrence is very active and has good court vision.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2227 on: July 10, 2016, 04:39:47 PM »
            ---Al McGuire

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #2228 on: July 10, 2016, 08:20:41 PM »
Looks great,like a young JFB. 

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #2229 on: July 10, 2016, 10:23:37 PM »
It looks like he has a lot of offers. We need to get into his final group.

Pretty sure it doesn't matter that much.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2230 on: July 10, 2016, 10:37:27 PM »
Pretty sure it doesn't matter that much.
Why?
            ---Al McGuire

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #2231 on: July 10, 2016, 10:51:54 PM »
Evan Flood ‏@Evan_Flood  10h10 hours ago Mequon, WI
@YoungLegendsMIL 2019 SF Deontay Long has interest from Arizona, Kansas, Wisconsin, Stanford, Illinois, Marquette..
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2232 on: July 11, 2016, 06:29:10 AM »
Why?

Either you land the kid or you don't. You're better off getting eliminated and told "no" early than you are getting into his "final group" and spending time and resources on someone who says no later. The sooner you get a no, the sooner you can apply those resources elsewhere. Who cares if you were on someone's list, if they don't end up playing for you, then all your time and effort was a waste.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #2233 on: July 11, 2016, 08:43:52 AM »
Either you land the kid or you don't. You're better off getting eliminated and told "no" early than you are getting into his "final group" and spending time and resources on someone who says no later. The sooner you get a no, the sooner you can apply those resources elsewhere. Who cares if you were on someone's list, if they don't end up playing for you, then all your time and effort was a waste.

Yep. People in sales always say best answer in sales is "yes" followed by "no". Nothing worse than "maybe", "check back later", etc..

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2234 on: July 11, 2016, 09:31:25 AM »
When Your in a beauty pageant situation you need to get into the finals.  When these kids have 25-30 legit offers we want him to cull it down and have us be a finalist and then we  work on closing the deal from there. I understand second place is worthless, but if you don't make the final cut you have no chance to close either.
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2235 on: July 11, 2016, 09:35:39 AM »
You're beauty contest analogy is terrible.  There is only one beauty contest going on at once, but in this case, there are dozens of similar contests that if you invest the time and energy, you have a good chance at winning.

I have no problem with Wojo working hard to land someone even if the odds seem long. However if he spends too much time simply to be a finalist, it may end up being a wasted effort.  Good recruiters have a good indication of where that line is with these guys.  Hopefully Wojo does.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #2236 on: July 11, 2016, 09:48:10 AM »
You're beauty contest analogy is terrible. 

I see what you did there.  Well played.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #2237 on: July 11, 2016, 10:37:24 AM »
 Hov Retweeted
 Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello  12m12 minutes ago
ESPN 100 Kimani Lawrence has picked up an offer from Marquette.

From a May 26th Scout article
At this point Marquette is a school that hasn’t offered Lawrence, but it is a program that has definitely grabbed his attention.
“They haven’t offered, but I have been talking to the Marquette coaching staff a lot,” Lawrence explained. “I like Dwyane Wade, and the way they talk they come off as a staff that cares about me beyond basketball.”
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:48:33 AM by MuMark »

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2238 on: July 11, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »
Evan Flood ‏@Evan_Flood  10h10 hours ago Mequon, WI
@YoungLegendsMIL 2019 SF Deontay Long has interest from Arizona, Kansas, Wisconsin, Stanford, Illinois, Marquette..
Kid is very strong and polished for a soph, but I am pretty certain he is older (not McCabe older). Grew up through the ranks as a center type kid, but seems to be developing outside game. Looks to be 6'-5". Dominates kids by being physical and has real quick post moves. My only concern would be he doesn't grow any more. Might be caught in that tweener category like Burton.

Big NY2LA Summer Jam this week in MKE (Homestead) with a ton of good teams.

Some random notes:
2018 WI Playground will play in MKE this weekend. They were embarrassed last weekend at Adidas Gauntlet event, going 1-3. Hauser's Barnstormers 3-2. They are also in MKE.

While we were once the favorite to get Herro, may be losing out to UW. Gard has made Herro a priority and has not offered over him at this point. UW really made an impression at camp last month and he was really embraced by their players and staff. MU offering Dosunmo from Mac Irvin Fire a couple of weeks ago did not sit well with them. Recruits want love and they are not feeling it. Now, this could all take a dramatic turn if junior Hauser commits to MU, Howard blows up and MU is on a roll when it is time to sign. There is still plenty of time, but if he stays in-state, it looks like UW has a clear advantage right now. I know he is still hoping on the Blue Bloods, but that is where it sits.

Watched Halliburton and Curtis (both 2018) from WI United yesterday. They will both have more D1 offers at the end of July. Also watched Terrence Lewis. He was dominate. It will be interesting to watch him this weekend when the big-time programs come into town. Nobel Days (2019) looked ok - just so damn long. His team - Butler Elite --should be so much better. Should have won the tourney with their talent, but almost lost first bracket game and didn't even make it to the semis.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #2239 on: July 11, 2016, 11:50:28 AM »
Why?

Because it never matters. 

Wojo (or any past coaches or any future coaches) can recruit whoever he wants, it's up to him to coach whatever guys he has to win games.  The only time I care if MU wins a recruiting battle is if it's against Wisconsin or Virginia.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

brandx

« Reply #2240 on: July 11, 2016, 12:14:24 PM »
Kid is very strong and polished for a soph, but I am pretty certain he is older (not McCabe older). Grew up through the ranks as a center type kid, but seems to be developing outside game. Looks to be 6'-5". Dominates kids by being physical and has real quick post moves. My only concern would be he doesn't grow any more. Might be caught in that tweener category like Burton.

Some random notes:
2018 WI Playground will play in MKE this weekend. They were embarrassed last weekend at Adidas Gauntlet event, going 1-3. Hauser's Barnstormers 3-2. They are also in MKE.

While we were once the favorite to get Herro, may be losing out to UW. Gard has made Herro a priority and has not offered over him at this point. UW really made an impression at camp last month and he was really embraced by their players and staff. MU offering Dosunmo from Mac Irvin Fire a couple of weeks ago did not sit well with them. Recruits want love and they are not feeling it. Now, this could all take a dramatic turn if junior Hauser commits to MU, Howard blows up and MU is on a roll when it is time to sign. There is still plenty of time, but if he stays in-state, it looks like UW has a clear advantage right now. I know he is still hoping on the Blue Bloods, but that is where it sits.

Watched Halliburton and Curtis (both 2018) from WI United yesterday. They will both have more D1 offers at the end of July. Also watched Terrence Lewis. He was dominate. It will be interesting to watch him this weekend when the big-time programs come into town. Nobel Days (2019) looked ok - just so damn long. His team - Butler Elite --should be so much better. Should have won the tourney with their talent, but almost lost first bracket game and didn't even make it to the semis.

Does Days look like he will develop an offensive game?

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #2241 on: July 11, 2016, 12:19:40 PM »

Some random notes:

Freeport what about Jalen Suggs?  Just going to be a frosh but already a 6'3 pg that plays up with the 17U.  I would think he is one to keep an eye on.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2242 on: July 11, 2016, 12:36:16 PM »

@NY2LASPORTSLIVE

6-11 Australian (AUSA) big man Jacob Epperson is becoming a hot commodity
Marquette
Texas
Iowa
Cincinnati
Butler
Valparaiso
UCF

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2243 on: July 11, 2016, 12:38:43 PM »
@NY2LASPORTSLIVE

Marquette
Texas
Iowa
Cincinnati
Butler
Valparaiso
UCF

Would this be for this upcoming season?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2244 on: July 11, 2016, 12:44:01 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2245 on: July 11, 2016, 12:47:07 PM »
It appears he's class of 2017.

http://ausahoops.com/jacob-epperson-2015-pacific-games-highlights-mixtape/

Ahh gotcha thanks.  I saw U19 somewhere else and figured he must be a senior.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2246 on: July 11, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »

Some random notes:

Surprised to hear we ever were the favorite for Herro.  I always go the feeling he wanted blue bloods but would most likely end up at Wisconsin, following in Koenig's footsteps.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2247 on: July 11, 2016, 12:54:55 PM »
@NY2LASPORTSLIVE

Marquette
Texas
Iowa
Cincinnati
Butler
Valparaiso
UCF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl6EGl1kFyc

Rail thin but 6"11 with 7"1 wingspan and athletic. Definitely intrigued.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2248 on: July 11, 2016, 01:32:49 PM »
When Your in a beauty pageant situation you need to get into the finals.  When these kids have 25-30 legit offers we want him to cull it down and have us be a finalist and then we  work on closing the deal from there. I understand second place is worthless, but if you don't make the final cut you have no chance to close either.

Nope. That's dumb. When they cut their list, you are better off getting cut if you aren't going to land them. How much did Kevon Looney and Diamond Stone help Wisconsin? Buzz and Wojo respectively knew they wouldn't land those players and didn't waste time on them. Wisconsin did and ended up getting nothing for their efforts but time and money lost, time and money that could have been invested in other, more likely recruits.

Sultan pretty thoroughly eviscerated your point, but the only thing of any merit you said is the part I bolded. Make the final and lose out and every bit of time, effort, and money you put in was time, effort, and money wasted. You're better off knowing you don't have a chance and going after another kid you could land than you are being strung along only to end up the bridesmaid.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2249 on: July 11, 2016, 01:42:57 PM »
Nope. That's dumb. When they cut their list, you are better off getting cut if you aren't going to land them. How much did Kevon Looney and Diamond Stone help Wisconsin? Buzz and Wojo respectively knew they wouldn't land those players and didn't waste time on them. Wisconsin did and ended up getting nothing for their efforts but time and money lost, time and money that could have been invested in other, more likely recruits.

Sultan pretty thoroughly eviscerated your point, but the only thing of any merit you said is the part I bolded. Make the final and lose out and every bit of time, effort, and money you put in was time, effort, and money wasted. You're better off knowing you don't have a chance and going after another kid you could land than you are being strung along only to end up the bridesmaid.

Except that when a kid doesn't like his first choice after one year and wants to transfer.  Then the time that you spent building that relationship with him but finishing runner up may end up paying off after all.