'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8417474 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/19
« Reply #21575 on: October 20, 2019, 10:26:37 AM »
Well, either the recruiting gurus know something or they all like throwing their darts at the same board. Since Daniels predicted Davis to UNC yesterday, 6 more (including Jerry Meyer & Eric Bossi) have made the same prediction on CB or Future Cast. Davis now 75% to UNC on 247 (6/8 picks) and 100% on Rivals (5/5).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21576 on: October 20, 2019, 10:52:30 AM »
Well, either the recruiting gurus know something or they all like throwing their darts at the same board. Since Daniels predicted Davis to UNC yesterday, 6 more (including Jerry Meyer & Eric Bossi) have made the same prediction on CB or Future Cast. Davis now 75% to UNC on 247 (6/8 picks) and 100% on Rivals (5/5).

Davis is gone.

Gotta lock in Dawson badly
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21577 on: October 20, 2019, 11:08:01 AM »
Pretty difficult to win most sports championships.

Yes, agreed.  And the study I provided during the season showed ncaa men’s tournament was the most difficult among major sporting events for the “favorites”.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21578 on: October 20, 2019, 11:10:07 AM »
My point is, why do so many cheat if this is such a crapshoot (or turn a blind eye)?  Again, in any business, you or I would have been fired a long time ago if we did what these people did.  Cheatshoot.

Just win, baby!

Because just to keep their job they have to win, and that causes people to do things they shouldn’t.  Then you throw in the FAN (comes from Fanatic and fanatical) and people do really stupid things to feed that fanaticism.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21579 on: October 20, 2019, 11:11:36 AM »
Coaches call it a crapshoot because it deflects blame off themselves and their teams when they underperform.

LOL...like Izzo, Williams, Wright, etc who have all won it...good one.

It couldn’t possibly be they are the experts and we are not, they are simply telling it how it is.  No, that cannot be it...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21580 on: October 20, 2019, 11:14:18 AM »
+1. Most of these coaches have egos the size of New York city. "Was I out coached?" "Were we unprepared?" are honest and uncomfortable questions that become irrelevant if one accepts the "crapshoot" concept. That big name coaches would promote such a self serving meme surprises virtually nobody but Chico.

One and done the entire progression, anything can happen.  Al McGuire did not use the word crapshoot, but explained the same phenomena.  But go ahead, you believe your version.

There’s a reason Al only won it once...he said he had 7 or 8 teams better than the one that actually won it.  Because it is very hard to win that championship.  Dean Smith only won it twice.  So on and so forth.

I believe Al McGuire
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 11:47:15 AM by Cheeks »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21581 on: October 20, 2019, 11:15:36 AM »
It couldn’t possibly be they are the experts and we are not, they are simply telling it how it is.  No, that cannot be it...

It couldn't possibly be posters know you will bite on trolling like JB & Crystal Ball and they are not actually interested in your preprogrammed response but just taking jabs at you. No, that cannot be it...
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #21582 on: October 20, 2019, 11:20:49 AM »

The meat crew have known for a while Davis has been gone.  Smart kid

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21583 on: October 20, 2019, 11:48:02 AM »

The meat crew made some other predictions in the last 6 months that did not come true, yes?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21584 on: October 20, 2019, 11:58:51 AM »

Go Marquette hey? But nobody here is hoping Wojo fails.  :o
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #21585 on: October 20, 2019, 12:00:59 PM »
Signed,
Bill Self
Rick Pitino
Will Wade
Sean Miller

Actually, those are the coaches who said, “Not getting caught is a crapshoot.”
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21586 on: October 20, 2019, 12:11:54 PM »
There is still a small chance for Marquette with RJ .

According to this article in The Oklahoman, Bryce Thompson father saying that two to three years ago Bryce would have been staying in state, but now he is open to going out of state. ( if you scroll down fast to middle of article before the ad comes up )

So theoretically Bryce could elect to go to UNC , knocking RJ back into the Pitt, Georgetown , Marquette group.

https://oklahoman.com/article/5644637/ou-basketball-five-star-guard-bryce-thompson-takes-note-of-recruiting-pitch
UNC Grad MU Fan

GOO

• All American
« Reply #21587 on: October 20, 2019, 12:28:11 PM »
There is still a small chance for Marquette with RJ .

According to this article in The Oklahoman, Bryce Thompson father saying that two to three years ago Bryce would have been staying in state, but now he is open to going out of state. ( if you scroll down fast to middle of article before the ad comes up )

So theoretically Bryce could elect to go to UNC , knocking RJ back into the Pitt, Georgetown , Marquette group.

https://oklahoman.com/article/5644637/ou-basketball-five-star-guard-bryce-thompson-takes-note-of-recruiting-pitch
We need to keep recruiting RJ even if he isn't coming here this year.  If he ends up at UNC, I'd give it a 50/50 that he ends up transferring out.  At his size, and with UNC's recruiting, the odds are that there is another Bryce Thompson signing next year and the year after that... and RJ may not get the playing time he wants/expects... He would be a nice transfer to add in the future, if he goes to UNC this year. 

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #21588 on: October 20, 2019, 12:40:01 PM »
Marquette is a gold blood, the best place for RJ.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21589 on: October 20, 2019, 12:43:04 PM »
LOL...like Izzo, Williams, Wright, etc who have all won it...good one.

Appeal to authority is a logical fallacy.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21590 on: October 20, 2019, 12:44:17 PM »
Go Marquette hey? But nobody here is hoping Wojo fails.  :o

+1

Well maybe the folks that are no longer “all in” but were until late Winter. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21591 on: October 20, 2019, 12:50:18 PM »
Appeal to authority is a logical fallacy.

Priceless...500 economists...90% of ...

At any rate, Al and other coaches knew what they were talking about because of their experience in going through the gauntlet....something no one here ever has.

Bummer about Davis if he is gone.  What worries me on going after the big fish is the disappointment in not landing them and the potential departure of coaches as a result of it being to difficult to land them.  Tough spot for a school like MU that is on the cusp, wants to play with the blue bloods, but is often disappointed in finishing as a bridesmaid when going after that talent.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21592 on: October 20, 2019, 01:10:36 PM »
Priceless...500 economists...90% of ...

At any rate, Al and other coaches knew what they were talking about because of their experience in going through the gauntlet....something no one here ever has.

So, if it's all just  crapshoot, why do these guys recruit the best players, coach them up as best as they are able, break down film, practice against opponents' sets. etc.?
Could it be, oh, I don't know, that it's not a crapshoot?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #21593 on: October 20, 2019, 01:39:06 PM »
I'm asking for the rest of the board......please take the crapshoot/not a crapshoot argument out of the recruiting thread.........please......I don't want to block more people then I already do.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 01:57:11 PM by MuMark »

Boone

• All American
« Reply #21594 on: October 20, 2019, 01:43:51 PM »
Amen!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #21595 on: October 20, 2019, 01:54:49 PM »
I mean it would be the biggest Hail mary ever, but Suggs still isn't committed...I'm not saying...I'm just saying :-\
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #21596 on: October 20, 2019, 03:12:10 PM »
Not that it matters but RJ announcing tomm at 9am

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1186011181305204737?s=20
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #21597 on: October 20, 2019, 03:28:07 PM »
Not that it matters but RJ announcing tomm at 9am

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1186011181305204737?s=20

My sources are telling me It will be Marquette.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21598 on: October 20, 2019, 03:38:29 PM »

I think they're dreaming.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #21599 on: October 20, 2019, 03:51:40 PM »

And have you ever received reliable information from these "sources" on a commitment before?

feedback