[June 16, 2024, 06:05:09 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 16, 2024, 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[June 16, 2024, 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 6/15/24  (Read 8943620 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/19
« Reply #20725 on: September 25, 2019, 12:14:10 PM »
Okay this is odd...what I posted this morning was taken right from a paragraph about Dawson...Now it seems to have been changed to:

Garcia has not planned to sign early, but recently there have been rumblings that he could be setting visits and moving up his timetable for a decision which would limit the time to make up ground with the top-35 forward. Much of the talk has surrounded Marquette of late, but if they have a lead it doesn't sound insurmountable.

Translation: The 247 dude has no idea, posted something, read Brian Snow's take, and then changed his post to a very vague agreement so he can take credit if Snow is right, but distance himself if Snow is wrong.

That being said, I hope they are right. I've long said that Garcia is at the top of my wishlist for 2020. He's going to wreck people in college and should be a future pro.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20726 on: September 25, 2019, 12:31:05 PM »
Translation: The 247 dude has no idea, posted something, read Brian Snow's take, and then changed his post to a very vague agreement so he can take credit if Snow is right, but distance himself if Snow is wrong.

That being said, I hope they are right. I've long said that Garcia is at the top of my wishlist for 2020. He's going to wreck people in college and should be a future pro.

While that would make sense, his comments about Marquette's perceived lead wouldn't make sense if he hadn't read Snow's take first, because that's where the "Marquette in the lead" narrative came from. So if he read that part of the take, why wouldn't he have read the part about the Fall signing period timetable?

Odd to make the change, makes me wonder if he had a conversation with someone that at least led him to hedge his bets.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #20727 on: September 25, 2019, 12:34:02 PM »
These highlights from Team USA's 3-on-3 games earlier this summer are fun to watch. They really showcase Dawson's all-around game: a variety of crafty jump hooks and spin moves in the post, driving the lane and shooting from long range. Kid's got skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgIeneruZdg
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20728 on: September 25, 2019, 01:11:24 PM »
These highlights from Team USA's 3-on-3 games earlier this summer are fun to watch. They really showcase Dawson's all-around game: a variety of crafty jump hooks and spin moves in the post, driving the lane and shooting from long range. Kid's got skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgIeneruZdg

Thanks for that. One thing I'll add...I think Garcia is better than your typical 25-35 ranked recruit. The Athletic had an article featuring the top 40 players regardless of class this past summer. 16 of the top 23 are now in the 2020 class. Granted, reclassifications mean the best players will usually be in the nearest class, but there's a TON of talent crammed into 2020. Garcia might be more like a top 10-15 player in an average class. He's really good.

EDIT: Also...if he commits, Garcia will qualify as one of the three best mixtapes I've seen from a MU player in the past decade. He just looks so smooth, savvy, and skilled.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 01:31:18 PM by brewcity77 »

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #20729 on: September 25, 2019, 01:34:14 PM »
Thanks for that. One thing I'll add...I think Garcia is better than your typical 25-35 ranked recruit. The Athletic had an article featuring the top 40 players regardless of class this past summer. 16 of the top 23 are now in the 2020 class. Granted, reclassifications mean the best players will usually be in the nearest class, but there's a TON of talent crammed into 2020. Garcia might be more like a top 10-15 player in an average class. He's really good.

Garcia would be an absolutely huge get.  His game looks a bit like HE's (IN A GOOD WAY) - a whole lotta height, but really good handles and a smooth form.  Definitely looks like an NBA player.

And he played in that 3 v 3 tourney with two former MU targets - Nimari Burnett and Ethan Morton.  It would have been interesting to hear their conversations while they hung out in Mongolia.   

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20730 on: September 25, 2019, 01:51:18 PM »
Just a reminder: Big Daddy Chili called a MU Daily Double earlier this summer.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #20731 on: September 25, 2019, 02:02:30 PM »
Oso in this recent pictures from Instagram has already gotten noticeably more muscular since his junior year mix video.  If he adds another 30 lbs of muscle, shows the ability to shoot effectively from mid-range (includes being a workable free throw shooter) then he'll be a pro prospect as he's the got the height at a legitimate 6'9 to play the 3 or 4.  NBA scouts focus on body types first and foremost (i.e.: a 7'1 freshman center who averages 5 and 5 but has a NBA frame and shows flashes of talent will get drafted every time over a 6'8 senior all american center who average 20 and 10).  They also love freakish talent as the NBA is full of talented players who neutralize each other so you win by getting super stars who all have freakish skill-sets.  Oso, who has forward height but has guard skills, is the type of talent they like to take chances on to see if they can develop into a difference maker at the NBA level. 

Not surprisingly why he has moved up a lot in recent evaluations as other coaches also see the talent and the upside potential. 

Hopefully he doesn't get too good too fast and stays are Marquette a couple of years before the NBA scouts give him a 1st round grade. 

Dawson Garcia also has NBA attributes and talent as well.  I think MU needs to sell Garcia that we would play the 5 in a very uptempo style of basketball to take advantage of this unique future front line where we'd have multiple players that can all rebound, run, dribble, and shoot.  Would be fun to watch and much different than our current front line of more traditional post players that can block shots, rebound and play with their back to the basket however none of them can dribble, or shoot outside ten feet. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #20732 on: September 25, 2019, 02:09:53 PM »
Oso in this recent pictures from Instagram has already gotten noticeably more muscular since his junior year mix video.  If he adds another 30 lbs of muscle, shows the ability to shoot effectively from mid-range (includes being a workable free throw shooter) then he'll be a pro prospect as he's the got the height at a legitimate 6'9 to play the 3 or 4.  NBA scouts focus on body types first and foremost (i.e.: a 7'1 freshman center who averages 5 and 5 but has a NBA frame and shows flashes of talent will get drafted every time over a 6'8 senior all american center who average 20 and 10).  They also love freakish talent as the NBA is full of talented players who neutralize each other so you win by getting super stars who all have freakish skill-sets.  Oso, who has forward height but has guard skills, is the type of talent they like to take chances on to see if they can develop into a difference maker at the NBA level. 

Not surprisingly why he has moved up a lot in recent evaluations as other coaches also see the talent and the upside potential. 

Hopefully he doesn't get too good too fast and stays are Marquette a couple of years before the NBA scouts give him a 1st round grade. 

Dawson Garcia also has NBA attributes and talent as well.  I think MU needs to sell Garcia that we would play the 5 in a very uptempo style of basketball to take advantage of this unique future front line where we'd have multiple players that can all rebound, run, dribble, and shoot.  Would be fun to watch and much different than our current front line of more traditional post players that can block shots, rebound and play with their back to the basket however none of them can dribble, or shoot outside ten feet.

I get a Jarrett Culver type vibe from Oso

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #20733 on: September 25, 2019, 02:38:02 PM »

Oso may develop skills the NBA is looking for, but there is little chance he will become a difference maker in the NBA.

The Lebrons, Magic’s, and Simmons of the world we’re already developed while still in high schools.

We don’t have to worry about him being a one-and-done. The hope is that he develops in a 2-3 years to an all-conference type player and NBA prospect.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20734 on: September 25, 2019, 02:38:59 PM »
I get a Jarrett Culver type vibe from Oso

It's funny you mention that, that is exactly what I thought right away too.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #20735 on: September 25, 2019, 02:40:26 PM »
Just a reminder: Big Daddy Chili called a MU Daily Double earlier this summer.

I don't know what this means but want to
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #20736 on: September 25, 2019, 02:54:26 PM »
Oso may develop skills the NBA is looking for, but there is little chance he will become a difference maker in the NBA.

The Lebrons, Magic’s, and Simmons of the world we’re already developed while still in high schools.

We don’t have to worry about him being a one-and-done. The hope is that he develops in a 2-3 years to an all-conference type player and NBA prospect.

Oso still has a year of high school to go.  A lot of very good players develop late, Jimmy Butler is one good example.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #20737 on: September 25, 2019, 02:57:13 PM »

Just don’t tell Dwyane Wade or Jimmy Butler about your theories.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 03:23:07 PM by duanewade »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #20738 on: September 25, 2019, 03:01:18 PM »
Oh boy.  I see we've reached the "I think this guy could end up in the NBA early" phase with Oso. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #20739 on: September 25, 2019, 03:03:39 PM »
Oh boy.  I see we've reached the "I think this guy could end up in the NBA early" phase with Oso.

Yep, and then if he doesn't turn into the next Jarett Culver, who do you think will take the largest share of the blame?
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20740 on: September 25, 2019, 03:04:24 PM »
Yep, and then if he doesn't turn into the next Jarett Culver, who do you think will take the largest share of the blame?

Joey Hauser?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20741 on: September 25, 2019, 03:46:46 PM »

I remember about 10 games into his freshman season when folks actually were worried that Mayo would leave for the NBA. That was fun stuff.

But I guess with Oso it beats folks saying he'll never amount to anything.

Also...if he commits, Garcia will qualify as one of the three best mixtapes I've seen from a MU player in the past decade.

After Garcia and Juan Anderson, who would be the third?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #20742 on: September 25, 2019, 03:51:24 PM »
I remember about 10 games into his freshman season when folks actually were worried that Mayo would leave for the NBA. That was fun stuff.

I'm pretty sure they said similar things about Haanif.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20743 on: September 25, 2019, 04:03:24 PM »

But I guess with Oso it beats folks saying he'll never amount to anything.

After Garcia and Juan Anderson, who would be the third?

Henry. He just looked so advanced, powerful, and skilled. It was pretty clear he would be a dominant player at this level.

That said...still surprised that Juan Anderson wasn't the next Magic Johnson, or at least Evan Turner. He looked like a program-changing player based on that mixtape.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20744 on: September 25, 2019, 04:15:18 PM »
Henry. He just looked so advanced, powerful, and skilled. It was pretty clear he would be a dominant player at this level.

That said...still surprised that Juan Anderson wasn't the next Magic Johnson, or at least Evan Turner. He looked like a program-changing player based on that mixtape.
Juan has signed a training Camp contract with the Warriors this year so the raw material was there.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #20745 on: September 25, 2019, 04:19:42 PM »

I'm pretty sure they said similar things about Haanif.

I don't know if I ever said it but I thought Haanif had a chance to become the all-time leading scorer at Marquette after his Freshman year.

I was incorrect.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20746 on: September 25, 2019, 04:25:59 PM »
Juan has signed a training Camp contract with the Warriors this year so the raw material was there.

Not really the point. Juan's mixtape is the stuff of Marquette legend. He looked like an All-American, future lottery pick, can't miss, do-everything player. Not someone who might get a G-League sniff in 8 years, someone who was going to be one of the best players in the country from the minute he stepped on the court.

The thunderous dunks, the shot-blocking ability, the insane no-look passes, the step-back jumper, the spin moves, the alley-oops, the putbacks, the three-point range...I watch it NOW and still get excited about his potential. He had maybe the best high school mixtape I've seen, and while he looked incredible, is also a cautionary tale of not reading too much into what are basically just highlight reels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6VDJN3xkdo

onepost

• All American
« Reply #20747 on: September 25, 2019, 04:44:16 PM »
Not really the point. Juan's mixtape is the stuff of Marquette legend. He looked like an All-American, future lottery pick, can't miss, do-everything player. Not someone who might get a G-League sniff in 8 years, someone who was going to be one of the best players in the country from the minute he stepped on the court.

The thunderous dunks, the shot-blocking ability, the insane no-look passes, the step-back jumper, the spin moves, the alley-oops, the putbacks, the three-point range...I watch it NOW and still get excited about his potential. He had maybe the best high school mixtape I've seen, and while he looked incredible, is also a cautionary tale of not reading too much into what are basically just highlight reels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6VDJN3xkdo

An all-time cautionary tale.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #20748 on: September 25, 2019, 05:02:00 PM »
Just don’t tell Dwyane Wade or Jimmy Butler about your theories.

Butler made bigger strides than could have been expected. Wade was a great player in HS.

Butler was a very good athlete who improved every skill. DWade was an elite athlete - even by NBA standards.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20749 on: September 25, 2019, 05:24:36 PM »

I think you are missing my point. I agree ,and have constantly said on this site ,not to evaluate any player until you have seen him live or watched several full length games. Highlight reels are fools gold. Heck if you dig out the  Matt Heldt highlight reel it would be the next coming of Bill Laimbeer.

All I am saying about Juan is that he had raw talent and he is now finally realizing on the potential that existed based on his physical tools. At that, his opportunity is based on hard work on d combined with very quick and active hands. What he did was distill the one thing he could be elite at and focused on it hard for several years .

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire