'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8450663 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/19
« Reply #20675 on: September 23, 2019, 09:45:03 PM »
Creighton picks up Ryan Kalkbrenner. Was being recruited by Kansas among others . Moderately not helpful to our cause regarding Garcia. 

http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=4397

Creighton sure likes skinny big guys. Kalkbrenner is listed at 6-11/210. Sacar is just 6-5 but the same weight.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 09:46:34 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #20676 on: September 23, 2019, 10:14:18 PM »
Pittsburgh landed 6-7 Noah Collier, first commit for the class of 2020

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20677 on: September 24, 2019, 05:30:25 AM »
Garcia likely crossing Kansas off the list?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #20678 on: September 24, 2019, 06:08:21 AM »
When Moore cut his list to 7, he told the list to Jake. When he decided to reopen his recruitment, he spoke with him again. He also told Jake that Pitt's staff would be there today and Shakeel retweeted it when Jake posted it. Pitt 247 guessed (got it correct on the 3rd try who was committing there today, which was Collier)

Moore looks like a heavy Providence lean.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #20679 on: September 24, 2019, 09:31:16 AM »
Moore looks like a heavy Providence lean.
I guess that previous tweet was wrong. Pitt was there with Capel, so probably safe to say RJ hasn't given them the Badger verbal.

Pitt.MBB
@PittHoopsMBB
ยท
16h
The Pitt staff was in fact at Moravian Prep for Shakeel Moore too. His recruitment has been interesting lately.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #20680 on: September 24, 2019, 09:54:37 AM »
This Shakeel Moore saga is giving me a migraine, and we aren't even recruiting him.  I'm so confused.
As long as RJ Davis makes it to campus, I have a great feeling.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #20681 on: September 24, 2019, 10:14:36 AM »
This Shakeel Moore saga is giving me a migraine, and we aren't even recruiting him.  I'm so confused.
As long as RJ Davis makes it to campus, I have a great feeling.

This is advice from someone who has followed recruiting for far too long.  The less you think about it and the less you read into it, the best for your mindset.  Whatever happens, happens.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

onepost

• All American
« Reply #20682 on: September 24, 2019, 10:29:53 AM »
This is advice from someone who has followed recruiting for far too long.  The less you think about it and the less you read into it, the best for your mindset.  Whatever happens, happens.

No doubt, I've definitely subscribed to that.  The "migraine" is less "how will this affect MU?" and more "in 4 posts people have said a guy visited, did not visit, visited again, he's still a Providence lean."  Have no concern on how it affects MU.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #20683 on: September 24, 2019, 11:08:41 AM »
In this interview with Noah Collier after committing to Pitt, they asked him what players he's going to try to recruit to join him.   RJ Davis mentioned as one of those players.   

I believe in the Oso interview in the Journal Sentinel, he mentioned that he and Lewis were doing the same for some players but didn't mention who they talk to.  Hopefully RJ is one of them and that (all other things being equal, which they aren't) Oso/Lewis are more convincing!

https://stockrisers.com/2019/09/23/breaking-noah-collier-to-pittsburgh/

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #20684 on: September 24, 2019, 11:15:29 AM »

Thanks for your Sage Advice.  Makes life easier.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #20685 on: September 24, 2019, 12:58:55 PM »
From 247

This confuses me regarding visiting MU again officially........thought you cou,d only take 1 to a school?

Ps I asked Brian Snow.....he said rule has been changed....you can take a junior year visit and a senior year visit officially.

Still, at the moment it seems Marquette and Indiana might have the best shot, and both schools will definitely get official visits from Garcia.

Indiana is trying to get Garcia to visit in early October for their Hoosier Hysteria event, but that is far from set in stone, still the Hoosiers have a pretty good shot here, and have made a major impression with Garcia.

Marquette has also done a tremendous job, and they have likely been the most consistent school since the beginning recruiting Garcia. Garcia has been to Marquette officially, he has also been there unofficially, and though not yet finalized, he also plans to get back there officially again.

Two wildcards are North Carolina and Duke. North Carolina was considered a top option, but does the commitment of Kessler change that, it is too soon to know. Also, now that Kessler is off the board, will Duke go after Garcia hard, that also has to be monitored. If Duke does decide to prioritize Garcia, look for the Blue Devils to be added to his list.

Memphis is another school gaining some traction behind the scenes, and the odds are they will get a visit as well, and Minnesota will at least get him back on campus, though it might not be in an official capacity since he has been there quite a bit.

Right now, the plan is definitely for Garcia to sign early, though it might not be until right on or around signing day. This is definitely going to be a process, and the expectation is for him to take either all five of his visits or close to that before making a decision.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 01:02:49 PM by MuMark »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20686 on: September 24, 2019, 01:03:58 PM »
So basically....every school on his list and one that's not on his list have a good shot with him?

Can a player officially visit a school twice? If so, him using two of his visits on MU seems to be a pretty good sign.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #20687 on: September 24, 2019, 01:13:21 PM »
From 247

This confuses me regarding visiting MU again officially........thought you cou,d only take 1 to a school?

Ps I asked Brian Snow.....he said rule has been changed....you can take a junior year visit and a senior year visit officially.

Still, at the moment it seems Marquette and Indiana might have the best shot, and both schools will definitely get official visits from Garcia.

Indiana is trying to get Garcia to visit in early October for their Hoosier Hysteria event, but that is far from set in stone, still the Hoosiers have a pretty good shot here, and have made a major impression with Garcia.

Marquette has also done a tremendous job, and they have likely been the most consistent school since the beginning recruiting Garcia. Garcia has been to Marquette officially, he has also been there unofficially, and though not yet finalized, he also plans to get back there officially again.

Two wildcards are North Carolina and Duke. North Carolina was considered a top option, but does the commitment of Kessler change that, it is too soon to know. Also, now that Kessler is off the board, will Duke go after Garcia hard, that also has to be monitored. If Duke does decide to prioritize Garcia, look for the Blue Devils to be added to his list.

Memphis is another school gaining some traction behind the scenes, and the odds are they will get a visit as well, and Minnesota will at least get him back on campus, though it might not be in an official capacity since he has been there quite a bit.

Right now, the plan is definitely for Garcia to sign early, though it might not be until right on or around signing day. This is definitely going to be a process, and the expectation is for him to take either all five of his visits or close to that before making a decision.

Whoa whoa whoa... he already put out a custom graphic with a top 7 and Duke wasn't on it, wouldn't it be illegal to add them after that?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20688 on: September 24, 2019, 01:17:40 PM »
So basically....every school on his list and one that's not on his list have a good shot with him?

Can a player officially visit a school twice? If so, him using two of his visits on MU seems to be a pretty good sign.

My gut instinct is the young man is looking for a program where he has realistic chance of being a featured player. MU, IU and UM definitely fit that mode. 

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #20689 on: September 24, 2019, 01:18:21 PM »
They changed the rule.....you can now visit once as a junior and once as a senior according to Brian Snow.

As for Duke..........if Garcia wants to go,there and they offer then that's where he should go.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #20690 on: September 24, 2019, 01:40:19 PM »
*Obligatory "Crystal Ball isn't the end all be all" note*

Both Chris Fisher and Jerry Meyer predicted Caleb Love to UNC today.
Connecting the dots, would obviously seem to have an effect on RJ Davis and UNC.

I think it's been mentioned by a couple insiders but it seems to be coming down to Pitt and MU for RJ.  Let's hope that's the case.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #20691 on: September 24, 2019, 02:03:11 PM »
*Obligatory "Crystal Ball isn't the end all be all" note*

Both Chris Fisher and Jerry Meyer predicted Caleb Love to UNC today.
Connecting the dots, would obviously seem to have an effect on RJ Davis and UNC.

I think it's been mentioned by a couple insiders but it seems to be coming down to Pitt and MU for RJ.  Let's hope that's the case.

Article in Rivals today .....They thinks it will ultimately be Pitt. We will see.......you get him on campus....give it your best shot......that's all anybody can do.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20692 on: September 24, 2019, 02:26:33 PM »
Article in Rivals today .....They thinks it will ultimately be Pitt. We will see.......you get him on campus....give it your best shot......that's all anybody can do.
https://n.rivals.com/news/twitter-tuesday-unc-s-class-cade-cunningham-more
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #20693 on: September 24, 2019, 02:27:16 PM »

Thanks Mark, really appreciate your updates and comments.   

One small request... When you mention articles or tweets or whatever, would you mind providing a link to the source as well?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #20694 on: September 24, 2019, 02:35:21 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa... he already put out a custom graphic with a top 7 and Duke wasn't on it, wouldn't it be illegal to add them after that?

He's standing on a pirate ship in the graphic. Pirates do what they want.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #20695 on: September 24, 2019, 02:55:09 PM »
Thanks Mark, really appreciate your updates and comments.   

One small request... When you mention articles or tweets or whatever, would you mind providing a link to the source as well?

https://twitter.com/bsnow247/status/1176553230010109952?s=21

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #20696 on: September 24, 2019, 03:31:03 PM »
It's possible I missed it but whatever happened to Jamari Sibley?  I haven't heard many updates on him. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20697 on: September 24, 2019, 03:33:11 PM »
It's possible I missed it but whatever happened to Jamari Sibley?  I haven't heard many updates on him.

He transferred to a school out of the state right around when Lewis committed and it seemed like that was the end of our recruitment of him, with Mark Miller's (I believe it was his anyway) all important, always accurate crystal ball pick changing from MU to Iowa State making it a cold hard lock that he will not be coming to Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #20698 on: September 24, 2019, 03:46:29 PM »
He transferred to a school out of the state right around when Lewis committed and it seemed like that was the end of our recruitment of him, with Mark Miller's (I believe it was his anyway) all important, always accurate crystal ball pick changing from MU to Iowa State making it a cold hard lock that he will not be coming to Marquette.

He transferred to Oak Hill Academy VA this summer just before his teammate Jalen Johnson (Duke commit) transferred to IMG Academy, FL. (Nicolet dropped out of the Highland Shootout and was replaced with Chicago Simeon.)

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #20699 on: September 24, 2019, 05:10:42 PM »
As I read the new recruiting rules on campus visits that went into effect last August, I thought they pertained to D-1 sports besides Football and Men's & Women's hoops.
I found the following on a usatoday website which also mentions D1 basketball as falling under these rules.

basketball prospects will now be allowed to take as many as 15 official visits, compared to only five before. The prospects can begin making trips on Aug. 1 before their junior year of high school. They'll be permitted to make five visits between Aug. 1 and the end of their junior year; five visits between the end of their junior year and Oct. 15 after high school graduation; and five more visits between Oct. 15 after high school graduation and the remainder of their college eligibility.

A student-athlete can visit a particular campus only once per year, and Division I schools will now be permitted to pay for 28 official visits over a rolling, two-year period (34 visits for service academies.) The previous totals were 24 official visits for Division I programs and 30 for service academies.