'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8464646 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Recruiting as of 5/15/19
« Reply #18050 on: June 13, 2019, 11:08:59 PM »
I, along with many, many others would love to see YOU quit posting about him.

OCD, much?

MUFINY thinks basketball is genetic. He obsesses about anyone who is related to someone that is good at basketball. I can only imagine how hard he would've been beating the Jeffrey Jordan drum when he transferred. Thank god Scottie Pippen has no Marquette/Milwaukee ties, we'd be hearing about all 8 of his kids in succession.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18051 on: June 13, 2019, 11:29:37 PM »
Not speaking for the man, but my take is he does not "revel" in Wojo misses. He is first and foremost a longtime MU fan. His has formed an opinion that Wojo is not the right coach for MU. It is his opinion. This is a board that is full of opinions. Opinion's are neither right or wrong. We all can agree or disagree with his comment, but he is entitled to his opinion, as are you.

OK, that's your take. Not gonna debate you. Doc can defend himself and explain why he seems to take great joy in Wojo's recruiting "misses."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #18052 on: June 14, 2019, 01:41:45 AM »
I just want to make sure I'm getting this right.

I feel that Marquette should hold tight with the current roster instead of grabbing a transfer or grad transfer to fill out the 13th scholarship, so that means I'm psychologically pining for a mid-major program?
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18053 on: June 14, 2019, 07:11:03 AM »

I feel that Marquette should hold tight with the current roster instead of grabbing a transfer or grad transfer to fill out the 13th scholarship, so that means I'm psychologically pining for a mid-major program?

It doesn't mean that at all...BUT, if you can bring in a better player than what you currently have on the roster...You have to do it...you just have to. Wojo's job is to make the team the best he possibly can.

How about we meet in the middle and agree that the best course of this action at this point, would be to use the scholarship on a player that's eligible starting next year...like Donnie Tillman(possibly eligible this year if applies for and gets a waiver)??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #18054 on: June 14, 2019, 07:38:28 AM »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18055 on: June 14, 2019, 07:49:29 AM »
MUFINY thinks basketball is genetic. He obsesses about anyone who is related to someone that is good at basketball. I can only imagine how hard he would've been beating the Jeffrey Jordan drum when he transferred. Thank god Scottie Pippen has no Marquette/Milwaukee ties, we'd be hearing about all 8 of his kids in succession.

You say that, yet I saw Scottie many a times at Marquette games.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #18056 on: June 14, 2019, 08:22:29 AM »
It doesn't mean that at all...BUT, if you can bring in a better player than what you currently have on the roster...You have to do it...you just have to. Wojo's job is to make the team the best he possibly can.

How about we meet in the middle and agree that the best course of this action at this point, would be to use the scholarship on a player that's eligible starting next year...like Donnie Tillman(possibly eligible this year if applies for and gets a waiver)??

I think a transfer who has to sit out a year would be great.  We have four scholarships available for 2020 and using one on a guy like Tillman to take Morrow's place makes a great deal of sense to me.

Adding an immediately eligible player could be a disaster chemistry wise.  I agree with Ted on that one.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18057 on: June 14, 2019, 08:45:50 AM »
Wojo's job is to make the team the best he possibly can.

Exactly. And that means assessing the roster and deciding if adding a player who is theoretically better than one he already has would be a net positive (talent upgrade) or a net negative (potential chemistry issues).

Virginia didn't have better players than Duke did, but they did have a better team.

Even though some Scoopers don't want to trust Wojo, we have to on this ... because he is the one who will make the calls. There is nothing you, I or anybody else can do about it.

I do agree with you (and others) who say it makes a lot of sense to bring in a talented transfer like Tillman for the future. I can't imagine any Warriors fan who wouldn't be on-board for that.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 08:57:52 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18058 on: June 14, 2019, 08:47:12 AM »
You say that, yet I saw Scottie many a times at Marquette games.

Great now you're gonna encourage him 🤦‍♂️
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #18059 on: June 14, 2019, 10:27:56 AM »
Great now you're gonna encourage him 🤦‍♂️

**SECOND HAND INFO COMING IN**

Talked to a “friend” of Nimari Burnett who saw me in a Marquette pullover.  Said Wojo wants him bad.  Didn’t dismiss the possibility like I did

Hot tip, lol
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #18060 on: June 14, 2019, 11:46:05 AM »

Talked to a “friend” of Nimari Burnett who saw me in a Marquette pullover.  Said Wojo wants him bad.  Didn’t dismiss the possibility like I did

Hot tip, lol

And now they will come for you......

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #18061 on: June 14, 2019, 02:23:41 PM »

Hot tip, lol
This thread will burn in hell
Goal is National Championship

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #18062 on: June 14, 2019, 06:27:55 PM »

I think a transfer who has to sit out a year would be great.  We have four scholarships available for 2020 and using one on a guy like Tillman to take Morrow's place makes a great deal of sense to me.

Adding an immediately eligible player could be a disaster chemistry wise a chance to further prove that Wojo cannot manage egos.  I agree with Ted on that one.

FIFY
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #18063 on: June 14, 2019, 06:37:10 PM »

Ok.  Let’s agree.  But if he doesn’t get offered by Wojo, will you agree that Wojo decided he wasn’t better than what we have on the roster or what he believes is coming in?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18064 on: June 14, 2019, 06:55:41 PM »
Ok.  Let’s agree.  But if he doesn’t get offered by Wojo, will you agree that Wojo decided he wasn’t better than what we have on the roster or what he believes is coming in?

Not necessarily...if I might ask, why do you and some others have so much blind faith in Wojo anyway?? He IS better than some of the current players and what will be returning next year(same players he's better then).I know it, Wojo knows it, and anyone that follows college basketball closely should know it. I believe that Wojo NOT offering him would be more about him being gun shy now about hurting the chemistry, even when he KNOWS the player he could possibly get IS better than some of his returning talent. You can't be scared about that stuff, you have to have the confidence that you as the leader will be able to manage it, and that your players TRULY want what's best for the team and not just themselves.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18065 on: June 14, 2019, 08:53:47 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18066 on: June 14, 2019, 09:03:27 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18067 on: June 14, 2019, 09:47:59 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18068 on: June 14, 2019, 09:53:49 PM »
Good stuff.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #18069 on: June 15, 2019, 08:35:24 AM »
Not necessarily...if I might ask, why do you and some others have so much blind faith in Wojo anyway?? He IS better than some of the current players and what will be returning next year(same players he's better then).I know it, Wojo knows it, and anyone that follows college basketball closely should know it. I believe that Wojo NOT offering him would be more about him being gun shy now about hurting the chemistry, even when he KNOWS the player he could possibly get IS better than some of his returning talent. You can't be scared about that stuff, you have to have the confidence that you as the leader will be able to manage it, and that your players TRULY want what's best for the team and not just themselves.

It’s not blind faith.  It is simply faith that he is spending more time evaluating his team, his roster, potential recruits and transfers than I am.  I’d like to think I know a little about basketball and talent, but I am also humble enough to admit that Wojo and any other coach out there knows a heck of a lot more than I do.

On top of that, how do you know that Wojo didn’t reach out to Tillman and Tillman just wasn’t interested in coming to Marquette/Milwaukee/Big East?  Maybe he has his heart set somewhere else.

The fact that Tillman isn’t coming here doesn’t give you free reign to make up an argument that makes Wojo out to be a poor recruiter.  So much more goes into it than we as fans ever see.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18070 on: June 15, 2019, 08:46:16 AM »
It’s not blind faith.  It is simply faith that he is spending more time evaluating his team, his roster, potential recruits and transfers than I am.  I’d like to think I know a little about basketball and talent, but I am also humble enough to admit that Wojo and any other coach out there knows a heck of a lot more than I do.

On top of that, how do you know that Wojo didn’t reach out to Tillman and Tillman just wasn’t interested in coming to Marquette/Milwaukee/Big East?  Maybe he has his heart set somewhere else.

The fact that Tillman isn’t coming here doesn’t give you free reign to make up an argument that makes Wojo out to be a poor recruiter.  So much more goes into it than we as fans ever see.

This. After years of sales and doing phonathon at MU I learned some people just aren't interested in your sales pitch. It happens
Maigh Eo for Sam

Goose

• All American
« Reply #18071 on: June 15, 2019, 09:18:40 AM »
I think Doc is correct, either Wojo cannot recruit or he is not a high level coach. IMO, he has done OK in recruiting, but unable to coach at high enough level. While I do not like the talent level he has recruited, I believe a top tier coach could win with the kids he has recruited.
He needs far better talent or needs to up his coaching skill you a wide margin. I still think he might be able to up talent level and that might be his only shot at being a winner that we want him to be.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18072 on: June 15, 2019, 09:31:20 AM »

How do we know that?? I haven't seen a single list or anything on him, since he announced he was entering the transfer portal. I have said in threads before, Wojo isn't a poor recruiter...to this point he has been ok/good, but I personally think he needs to do better, and thought he would have been doing better to this point. Others don't have to share that opinion.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18073 on: June 15, 2019, 09:50:33 AM »
I think Doc is correct, either Wojo cannot recruit or he is not a high level coach. IMO, he has done OK in recruiting, but unable to coach at high enough level. While I do not like the talent level he has recruited, I believe a top tier coach could win with the kids he has recruited.
He needs far better talent or needs to up his coaching skill you a wide margin. I still think he might be able to up talent level and that might be his only shot at being a winner that we want him to be.

Goose, he said almost exactly what I said in a different thread. That although Wojo's recruiting has been OK to this point, I truly believed it would be much better given his reputation as a recruiter. That's not to say he has done a terrible job, it just hasn't been anywhere close to what i expected to be honest. I thought, he would hit the ground running recruiting, that was the thing I was most intrigued about when they hired him, was that I thought likely for the first time, MU would be getting talent regularly, that they hadn't been getting before. That just hasn't happened. He's had a few hits obviously, but not the talent I thought he'd be getting consistently.

That's why I have been so frustrated with him to this point, and the results haven't been what I was expecting. I figured the talent he'd be bringing in would hide his flaws as a Coach and they'd have better overall results by now. I really thought recruiting was the one area he would EXCEL in at MU. So far, it just hasn't happened. Not sure why, but it hasn't.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18074 on: June 15, 2019, 10:03:41 AM »
The key to success at a program like MU is to be able to identify recruits who are slightly undervalued and  project for  material improvement. So basically signing a 3 star kid and getting 4 star performance out of him. This requires two things,1)a good eye for talent and 2)an in house operation for building the talent.

There was a great thread  a while back started by TAMU about wanting our Kamar Baldwin. Some people mistook that for saying he wanted Kamar over our guards.  That was not the point of the thread,  the point was getting All Big East level production out of an overlooked recruit.  Davante was a great example of this kind of recruit in our recent history.

One of the reasons I gravitate to the more unsung recruits is they have that upside potential.  MU is an attractive school for those kind of players.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback