[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8453006 times)

oldwarrior81

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 1/15/19
« Reply #15800 on: January 20, 2019, 08:21:01 PM »
Obviously Zaire Wade was at the game,but I’m not sure if we’re recruiting him. But Jamari Sibley was also at the game.

rewatching the telecast, Wade sat with the announcers for a 4-minute segment.  Asked about Zaire wearing the letter jacket.  "He look good in it"

Also how is Pete Gillen still broadcasting?   You have an interview with DWade on Dwyane Wade Day, during a Marquette/Providence game, and your question for him is "What was Rajon Rondo like as a teammate?"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15801 on: January 20, 2019, 08:21:50 PM »
Jalen, is he a slasher? Or is he like Sam from the outside? Saying this, because the spot will be open when he is a freshman.

A lot of everything. Athletic slasher that can shoot and post.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #15802 on: January 20, 2019, 08:23:45 PM »
Jalen, is he a slasher? Or is he like Sam from the outside? Saying this, because the spot will be open when he is a freshman.

Yes.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15803 on: January 20, 2019, 08:24:33 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #15804 on: January 20, 2019, 08:25:49 PM »
A lot of everything. Athletic slasher that can shoot and post.

Then he can play with a good team.  MU will be solid if he comes with Theo, Hauser, Elliott, McKwen and Jalen.  Lot to sell him.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #15805 on: January 20, 2019, 09:32:08 PM »
Jalen is a natural facilitator that makes his teammates better.  He plays the game with a Hauser mentality, always making the right play.  Not a sniper from deep but a good shooter that is improving. Very good all around player.

Player comp: Grant Hill.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #15806 on: January 20, 2019, 09:37:58 PM »
Jalen is a natural facilitator that makes his teammates better.  He plays the game with a Hauser mentality, always making the right play.  Not a sniper from deep but a good shooter that is improving. Very good all around player.

Player comp: Grant Hill.

That's a pretty high compliment. Healthy Grant Hill was unreal.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #15807 on: January 21, 2019, 09:04:08 AM »
Have no idea if we are actually recruiting Zaire or not, but where does flying him up to surprise his Dad fall on benefits?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #15808 on: January 21, 2019, 09:18:12 AM »
Have no idea if we are actually recruiting Zaire or not, but where does flying him up to surprise his Dad fall on benefits?

I am sure Gabrielle Union flew him in.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #15809 on: January 21, 2019, 09:20:18 AM »
I am sure Gabrielle Union flew him in.

No,  MU took the bill on this one.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15810 on: January 21, 2019, 10:04:54 AM »
No,  MU took the bill on this one.

MUPDT is right, Marquette can't buy a ticket for Zaire. I'm not sure what workarounds are available or if they needed permission. It's possible they flew Gabrielle and his nephew up but Zaire had to pay his own way.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #15811 on: January 21, 2019, 10:09:06 AM »
MUPDT is right, Marquette can't buy a ticket for Zaire. I'm not sure what workarounds are available or if they needed permission. It's possible they flew Gabrielle and his nephew up but Zaire had to pay his own way.

Yea, it's not like the Wade family is hurting for money.

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15812 on: January 21, 2019, 10:09:43 AM »
Maybe MU did pay for everything (I have no idea)- and that essentially means they aren't recruiting Zaire and have no intention of doing so.

Just a theory

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #15813 on: January 21, 2019, 10:12:40 AM »
Maybe MU did pay for everything (I have no idea)- and that essentially means they aren't recruiting Zaire and have no intention of doing so.

Just a theory

Would still be a recruiting violation... You can't pay a recruit but no harm no foul if they choose to go somewhere else. Obviously this is not one of those circumstances but this would be a classic case of the NCAA cracking down to act tough even though we had absolutely no intent of braking rules 

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15814 on: January 21, 2019, 10:21:03 AM »
Is it a recruiting violation if you aren't recruiting someone? I really haven't a clue if they are recruiting Wade's son or not.

Maybe they have to send some kind of declaration to the NCAA about special circumstances like this, or maybe not. No idea.

If MU decides to comp a ticket to any random HS kid who happens to play on his basketball team is that a violation?  Doesn't MU send tickets to HS players all the time?

I walked in the game yesterday with a group of HS players from Gary, IN.  I didn't ask, but I don't think they bought tickets.  I see groups of HS players at games all the time.  It was my understanding that MU does this regularly, as do most schools.

Not trying to start an argument, I'm actually asking questions.  It seems to me if MU wanted to pay the way, (and since they were the ones honoring Wade they absolutely should) there has to be a method of doing that without violating rules.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15815 on: January 21, 2019, 10:21:24 AM »
I'm sure they were very careful not to violate any rule whatsoever and that DWade completely understood.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15816 on: January 21, 2019, 10:24:13 AM »
Is it a recruiting violation if you aren't recruiting someone? I really haven't a clue if they are recruiting Wade's son or not.

Maybe they have to send some kind of declaration to the NCAA about special circumstances like this, or maybe not. No idea.

If MU decides to comp a ticket to any random HS kid who happens to play on his basketball team is that a violation?  Doesn't MU send tickets to HS players all the time?

I walked in the game yesterday with a group of HS players from Gary, IN.  I didn't ask, but I don't think they bought tickets.  I see groups of HS players at games all the time.  It was my understanding that MU does this regularly, as do most schools.

Not trying to start an argument, I'm actually asking questions.  It seems to me if MU wanted to pay the way, (and since they were the ones honoring Wade they absolutely should) there has to be a method of doing that without violating rules.

Doesn't matter. Marquette isn't allowed to pay for anything for any high school aged student. It doesn't even matter if they don't play a sport. For example, at the Blue and Gold auction, one of the items up for bid was a dinner with Wojo. They had to put on the dockett that no high school aged students were allowed to be in attendence. Now like LoudMouth said, the NCAA probably doesn't catch wind of it or do anything about it unless they end up at the school. But it is still a violation.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #15817 on: January 21, 2019, 10:28:49 AM »
Doesn't matter. Marquette isn't allowed to pay for anything for any high school aged student. It doesn't even matter if they don't play a sport. For example, at the Blue and Gold auction, one of the items up for bid was a dinner with Wojo. They had to put on the dockett that no high school aged students were allowed to be in attendence. Now like LoudMouth said, the NCAA probably doesn't catch wind of it or do anything about it unless they end up at the school. But it is still a violation.

What about alumni donations? Because I very clearly remember going to a Marquette basketball game that was paid for me my senior year of high school. Even got a dinner out of it.

Don't know who paid for it per say, but if that's the case I would think it would have been alumni.

gowojo

• Walk-On
« Reply #15818 on: January 21, 2019, 10:55:04 AM »
I believe the rules say former players and alumni can't communicate with potential recruits. So in the ridiculous world of  NCAA rules does that mean it's a recruiting violation if Dwyane talks to his son?

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #15819 on: January 21, 2019, 10:57:45 AM »
I believe the rules say former players and alumni can't communicate with potential recruits. So in the ridiculous world of  NCAA rules does that mean it's a recruiting violation if Dwyane talks to his son?

lol just another example of the NCAA ruining family and father-son relationships

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #15820 on: January 21, 2019, 11:02:03 AM »

Exceptions are made for pre-existing relationships, and this obviously qualifies. How do you think a kid ends up on his dad's team? NCAA rules are often riduculous, but a son not being able to talk to his father is way too absurd even for them.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #15821 on: January 21, 2019, 11:13:51 AM »

When I was in HS, we could get into the local university games for free (insert Scott Drew joke). They literally had a list of every player at the ticket office, check our names off and gave us a ticket. Granted this was 20 years ago now...

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #15822 on: January 21, 2019, 11:15:53 AM »
When I was in HS, we could get into the local university games for free (insert Scott Drew joke). They literally had a list of every player at the ticket office, check our names off and gave us a ticket. Granted this was 20 years ago now...

This is still true
Will call free tickets to prospects n friends/fam
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15823 on: January 21, 2019, 11:16:43 AM »
I went to the Bulls/Heat game on Saturday night in Chicago and Gabby was at that game with Dwayne as well.

I have no doubt MU’s compliance staff made sure everything was on the up and up with Zaire.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 12:47:35 PM by TallTitan34 »

MUpugnacity

• Walk-On
« Reply #15824 on: January 21, 2019, 12:25:43 PM »

Zaire Wade is a junior. Under the new rules kids can start taking official visits as a junior. So couldn’t marquette/Zaire just have declared this an official visit and been allowed to pay for everything?

I guess it would just be a question of Zaire wade would want to use one of his 5 official visits on a school that isn’t actually recruiting him, but it’s not like he can’t afford to take as many unofficial visits as he wants.