'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Sandy the best frosh since Novak?  (Read 28965 times)

The Equalizer

• All American
Re: Is Sandy the best frosh since Novak?
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2015, 10:26:25 PM »
Did you watch any of his freshman season?  I guess you just looked up a few stats to debunk my opinion and that's gospel to you.  I seriously doubt you watched him much at all that year.    He was very spotty his freshman year, James and McNeal clearly shined more.   Anyone that watched games that year would agree with that.  That team was dominated by Novak, McNeal, James, and everyone else a dime a dozen.  Most of that season's high points for him were non- conference.  His whole MU career was very ordinary until his senior year, when he was sensational.  

You do realize we are talking about Wes Matthews and not Jamil Lott or Ryan Amoroso, right?

Unfortunately, you didn't merely state that James and McNeal had better seasons.  That's a valid statement, and you'd get little argument from me (Although I might point out that the 2 points per game scoring difference between Matthews and McNeal was probably offset by the points given up by McNeal's poor defense and tendency to turn the ball over).  

Unfortunately, you go off the rails with the statement that "Matthews did little as a frosh," which is simply insane. He had an outstanding freshman season--especially so considering that he missed a month of games (and practices) at the start of conference play.  And if it didn't happen to occur at the same time that two of the best freshmen of the last 20 years were playing, maybe you wouldn't have overlooked him.

Its hard to understand a more misguided statement that you lumping Matthews in with Jamil Lott and Chris Grimm and Mike Kinsella and Ryan Amoroso as similar "dime a dozen" players.  In fact, not to give him credit for being better than Dan Fitzgerald, Ousmane Barro or Joe Chapman that year is equally misguided.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2015, 11:11:14 PM »
You do realize we are talking about Wes Matthews and not Jamil Lott or Ryan Amoroso, right?

Unfortunately, you didn't merely state that James and McNeal had better seasons.  That's a valid statement, and you'd get little argument from me (Although I might point out that the 2 points per game scoring difference between Matthews and McNeal was probably offset by the points given up by McNeal's poor defense and tendency to turn the ball over).  

Unfortunately, you go off the rails with the statement that "Matthews did little as a frosh," which is simply insane. He had an outstanding freshman season--especially so considering that he missed a month of games (and practices) at the start of conference play.  And if it didn't happen to occur at the same time that two of the best freshmen of the last 20 years were playing, maybe you wouldn't have overlooked him.

Its hard to understand a more misguided statement that you lumping Matthews in with Jamil Lott and Chris Grimm and Mike Kinsella and Ryan Amoroso as similar "dime a dozen" players.  In fact, not to give him credit for being better than Dan Fitzgerald, Ousmane Barro or Joe Chapman that year is equally misguided.

That year, that year - he was incredibly ordinary.  For a career and talent level as a whole, of course he's well above any of the stiffs you named.   To say his freshman year was "outstanding" is revisionist history.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2015, 05:14:47 PM »

Cohen, with at least 10 Big East games to play, is by far the best outside shooter frosh since Steve.

Cohen 3Pters: 18-44 = .409

Cubillan 3Pters (2006-07): 48-113 = .425

Cohen FT% = .737

Cubillan FT% (2006-07): .763

I like Sandy, I really do, and I think he has a much higher ceiling than David Cubillan. But I'm searching for the statistic that proves Sandy "is by far the best outside shooter frosh since Steve" ... unless you are talking about Steve Taylor!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2015, 05:32:30 PM »
Sandy is the complete package.  He will be one of Marquette's best!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2015, 05:50:15 PM »
Sandy is the complete package.  He will be one of Marquette's best!
Now that Sir, is a mouthful. He is a frosh, and he has potential. One of MU's best: Let's see, would he be better than, in no particular order?:
Wade, Diener, Kojis, Tatum, Lucas, Meminger, B. Lee, Ellis, Lackey, Chones, Wardle, Rivers, L. McNeil, Mathews, James, Key, Worthen, Cobb, Hutchins, M. Johnson, D. Johnson, Walton, Trotter, and even J. McNeil. And finally: Brute force: G. Thompson!!!!!!!
My apologies to those that I have missed. But complete package? One of the best? I like the kid and hope he gets there! But let's not get carried away. Your enthusiasm is great,
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback