[Today at 02:33:33 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MUbiz
[Today at 02:30:22 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Sandy the best frosh since Novak?  (Read 28957 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Is Sandy the best frosh since Novak?
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2015, 11:41:34 AM »
Here are all freshmen (and Butler) sorted by ORtg. Cohen ranks #5

Good post, Henry. I agree that I wouldn't have Novak as the best. I think there's more value when you look at guys who played a lot of minutes. Jajuan's ORtg last year was somewhat fool's gold because he had some big games early and saw his minutes drop significantly in conference play. Sandy and Duane have been playing as well or better in conference play and doing it with increased minutes.

Usage is important, but if a guy comes in for 4 minutes and has 3 shots, it will overinflate his usage. The more minutes you log the more accurate the usage stat becomes. That's why I think Cubillan had a particularly impressive freshman year. He may not have shot a ton, but he picked his spots well and was a reliable sniper. Lower usage, but because he was out there 58% of the time you know the numbers you get from him are actually accurate. The more a guy plays, the more accurate the picture becomes. That's why Dom was so impressive as a freshman and why I'd also put Duane second behind him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2015, 12:09:11 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2015, 12:14:45 PM »
Kid has a great attitude....http://wbay.com/2015/02/02/cohen-making-impression-freshman-year/

Great video, thanks for sharing.

Didn't Cohen have some trouble in his household?  Wasn't he raised in a single mother household and his mother was struggling to support him, so he moved in with his coach for the last 2 or 3 years of high school?  Not trying to say the situations are the same, but maybe (hopefully) Noskowiak will be better off when he gets to Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2015, 12:22:45 PM »
Kid has a great attitude....http://wbay.com/2015/02/02/cohen-making-impression-freshman-year/

“I’ve been ok with [the decrease in minutes since early in the season] because Coach Wojo has been around the game for a really long time and I know he knows whats best for me and my teammates and he’s just trying to put our team in the best position to win so if I’m not playing a lot one game its probably not best for the team so I believe in his coaching strategies,” said Cohen.

Classic Wojo mind games.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2015, 12:56:07 PM »
Wouldn't surprise me. His best attribute, in my opinion, is he would appear to be supremely confident in his ability, while not be self absorbed as a player.

This is probably the best way to qualitatively describe Sandy's disposition on the court. Really like what I see out of him skill-wise and BBIQ-wise

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2015, 01:00:57 PM »

Wow, I think Cohen just became my new favorite player.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2015, 01:39:27 PM »
I hope Sandy does great. Hope his shot starts to fall. Will be an asset. The best freshman in the state this year
is Redshirting--his name is ETHAN HAPP at UW. We will have to contend with him next year. Gives Kaminsky, Dekker and Hayes fits in practice. This is MU, but have to admit, we missed him. Also, Trevor Anderson of
Stevens Point, Hauser's teammate is nothing fancy just plays hard, excellent shooter, sets people teammates
up, plays the point and defense. If Nick has a problem, Anderson would be a find.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2015, 01:45:43 PM »
“I’ve been ok with [the decrease in minutes since early in the season] because Coach Wojo has been around the game for a really long time and I know he knows whats best for me and my teammates and he’s just trying to put our team in the best position to win so if I’m not playing a lot one game its probably not best for the team so I believe in his coaching strategies,” said Cohen.

Classic Wojo mind games.

Wojo slurper.   He's received more minutes than many anticipated going into the season.   JJJ has received less.   Cohen is the response to everyone who says that it isn't fair that JJJ isn't getting more minutes.   The formula is simple.   Work hard in practice every day.   Know your defensive assignment.   Take smart shots within the offense.    Hustle when you get in the game.   Earn your minutes. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 02:06:39 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2015, 01:49:44 PM »

Classic Wojo mind games.

Wojo just sees more of himself in Sandy...or Wojo is sticking it to the administration...or Wojo got to Dickey Simpkins who is actually the one who determines playing time.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2015, 01:53:30 PM »
I hope Sandy does great. Hope his shot starts to fall. Will be an asset. The best freshman in the state this year
is Redshirting--his name is ETHAN HAPP at UW. We will have to contend with him next year. Gives Kaminsky, Dekker and Hayes fits in practice. This is MU, but have to admit, we missed him. Also, Trevor Anderson of
Stevens Point, Hauser's teammate is nothing fancy just plays hard, excellent shooter, sets people teammates
up, plays the point and defense. If Nick has a problem, Anderson would be a find.

Yep, if he could only get some shots to fall he'd be much better than 4th in the BE in 3P%

Perhaps you're right about Happ, but a 3-star recruit who chose UW over GB and UWM? Really? If he was really that ready to contribute, why is he redshirting as opposed to taking Duje Dukan's minutes?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2015, 01:58:38 PM »
Dickey Simpkins who is actually the one who determines playing time.

HASHTAG DERBRICK

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2015, 01:59:30 PM »
Perhaps you're right about Happ, but a 3-star recruit who chose UW over GB and UWM? Really? If he was really that ready to contribute, why is he redshirting as opposed to taking Duje Dukan's minutes?

I have learned to never really question what comes out of Madison in this regard.  Say what you want, but Bo does a good job of getting much more out of player than is to be expected.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2015, 02:02:27 PM »
I have learned to never really question what comes out of Madison in this regard.  Say what you want, but Bo does a good job of getting much more out of player than is to be expected.

Happ may be forced into action earlier than most due to all the guys likely leaving Madison this year, but I'd guess he'll be that typical Bo guy that doesn't do much for a couple years then becomes another annoying Leuer/Kaminsky type that goes from role-player to quality starter on a top-25 team.

Either that or he'll get BOned like Ian Markolf.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2015, 03:04:17 PM »
Happ may be forced into action earlier than most due to all the guys likely leaving Madison this year, but I'd guess he'll be that typical Bo guy that doesn't do much for a couple years then becomes another annoying Leuer/Kaminsky type that goes from role-player to quality starter on a top-25 team.

Either that or he'll get BOned like Ian Markolf.

Hey, man, quit making stuff up!  Don't you know, the guy just lost his love for the game of basketball and quit the team, there is no such thing as BOned!

He just hates the game and no longer wanted to play (which is why he is currently playing at the University of The Incarnate Word).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2015, 03:15:12 PM »
HASHTAG DERBRICK

Classic.  The guy shooting .456/.296 is "Derbrick", but he should be replaced by the guy shooting .401/.156.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2015, 03:45:19 PM »

Brian Butch.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2015, 04:01:47 PM »
Wojo slurper.   He's received more minutes than many anticipated going into the season.   JJJ has received less.   Cohen is the response to everyone who says that it isn't fair that JJJ isn't getting more minutes.   The formula is simple.   Work hard in practice every day.   Know your defensive assignment.   Take smart shots within the offense.    Hustle when you get in the game.   Earn your minutes. 

Could you please enlighten the board as to what Cohen's and every other player on the team's "defensive assignment" is/are - as well as what "smart shots within the offense," are?

"Hustle when you get in the game."  Priceless.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2015, 04:12:20 PM »
Brian Butch.

Very good college player who was overrated coming out of high school.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2015, 04:31:23 PM »

Very good college player who was overrated coming out of high school.

I'm not sure I'd even say he was a very good college player. His senior year was by far his best season and he was 12 and 6. Solid? Definitely. But very good is overhyping his college career.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2015, 04:36:10 PM »
I'm not sure I'd even say he was a very good college player. His senior year was by far his best season and he was 12 and 6. Solid? Definitely. But very good is overhyping his college career.

You'd have to look at secondary stats as well. I seem to recall those teams playing SUPER SLOW, thus, his point totals would partially be attributed to tempo... but maybe I'm just mis-remembering.

Bo actually has been a very good recruiter, and has landed some high level talent (butch, Krabby, dekker, Steinsma, Harris, etc.), but he's really scored with some of his mid-level recruits that he's turned into REALLY good players (Frank, Leuer, Kam Taylor, etc.)

I think some people automatically think of the Badgers as creating players from nothing, but they have good recruits. For whatever reason, it just FEELS like these dudes come from nowhere.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2015, 04:44:14 PM »
You'd have to look at secondary stats as well. I seem to recall those teams playing SUPER SLOW, thus, his point totals would partially be attributed to tempo... but maybe I'm just mis-remembering.

Bo actually has been a very good recruiter, and has landed some high level talent (butch, Krabby, dekker, Steinsma, Harris, etc.), but he's really scored with some of his mid-level recruits that he's turned into REALLY good players (Frank, Leuer, Kam Taylor, etc.)

I think some people automatically think of the Badgers as creating players from nothing, but they have good recruits. For whatever reason, it just FEELS like these dudes come from nowhere.

Those mid-level recruits were borderline Top 100.  Difference between being Top 100 and borderline is rather meaningless after the Top 25 or so.  Identifying guys thaT fit your system is probably more important.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2015, 05:26:41 PM »
Where was Happ going to get his minutes from? With Hayes, Dekker, Kaminsky, Dukan (a senior, seniors always
get minutes) and Vitto Brown. Happ probably would have Brown's minutes from the way Brown is playing.
So why waste a year. Has 4 years left after this season.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2015, 08:32:19 PM »
Jerel was an awful offensive player and a good defensive player as a freshman.

That statement couldn't be farther from the truth.  He averaged 11.1 for the season, 21 double digit scoring games, 19 pts against No. 2 UConn the night Novak went off (how many remember how solid he was that night?), shot 44% FG, and 75% FT.   He was a poor 3pt shooter and I don't think really improved that aspect of his game until late junior season.  He and James were great complements to Novak's perimeter shooting in that they both penetrated and created offense and shots for themselves. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:41:53 PM by HutchwasClutch »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2015, 08:37:46 PM »
I would be very happy if all our incoming frosh would do so little their first year.

Start from day 1 and deliver 25 MPG/9 PPG/4 RPG/100.1 Ortg for the season, despite missing 8 games in the middle of the season?  Nah, not impressive at all.

Did you watch any of his freshman season?  I guess you just looked up a few stats to debunk my opinion and that's gospel to you.  I seriously doubt you watched him much at all that year.    He was very spotty his freshman year, James and McNeal clearly shined more.   Anyone that watched games that year would agree with that.  That team was dominated by Novak, McNeal, James, and everyone else a dime a dozen.  Most of that season's high points for him were non- conference.  His whole MU career was very ordinary until his senior year, when he was sensational.  

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2015, 08:40:26 PM »
Where was Happ going to get his minutes from? With Hayes, Dekker, Kaminsky, Dukan (a senior, seniors always
get minutes) and Vitto Brown. Happ probably would have Brown's minutes from the way Brown is playing.
So why waste a year. Has 4 years left after this season.

I guess that's the point.  If he can't find minutes over Duje Dukan and Vitto Brown then maybe he's not the best freshman in the state.