Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Luke Fischer  (Read 37071 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Luke Fischer
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2014, 08:46:38 AM »
I thought Luke would be a solid addition, but that was an outstanding performance, if we can get 80% of that we might have a chance to do some damage.

One of the aspects of Luke's game I was totally unprepared for was his vision.  If he is going to be able to win one on one in the post like he did last night, teams will start doubling.  There were multiple times last night where Luke caught the ball in the low post, felt the double coming and found the open man on the opposite side before the double can get there......that is some high level stuff for someone that hasn't played more than 60 minutes of D1 ball and all of it over a year ago.

If Luke can do that regularly, Matt Car3no is gonna be a thing.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2014, 08:49:13 AM »
Ners banned?

Now he's got something else to blame on Derrick!!

It's funny because it's true.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2014, 08:51:38 AM »
Saw him play at Indiana last year and he was nothing special, maybe because Tom Crean does not know how to use a center since he never recruited an offensive center with center moves,
I discount Devante just used his weight, and body.  Luke used both hands, left and right lay-ups, knows how to use his body in getting shots off.  The 15 foot shot from the baseline was really
impressive.  I can not remember a better opening game for a center in years or 40 years.  MU has had many average offensive centers but nobody really with his ability.  He will make MU a much
better team.  Liked how Wojo used him on the offensive end, he knows what he has and used it.  Crean had no idea how to use a center, most of the time he ran the baseline behind the basket.
He is not Bill Walton, but if he keeps on playing like today, might be one of the best centers in MU history.  Then again there has not been to many,  Whitehead, McIlvaine, MaCaskell, Downing,
Copa, Lovette, Barro, and others all had weaknesses in there game, Luke can stack up with all of them.  The year just got more fun, the same night Parker is out for the year, to bad for the
Bucks. Also, Luke can play a little D.

...and with Heidt and Henry next year; watch out!

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2014, 09:02:04 AM »
I was watching the game while my wife was working on her laptop.  I just kept saying "this changes everything."

Fischer was extremely polished on both ends.  Offensively he could get into position and seal his man and score with either hand on a variety of moves, also was in the right place for dump offs, tip-ins and could roll off screens.  Defensively he blocked and disrupted shots all night and generally avoided dumb fouls and also knew when not to contest in favor of getting in position to rebound.  He has elite size and knows how to use it to his advantage (which, as much as I love Otule, he never really figured that out).  I know, it's only one game and he will have ups and downs especially once teams game plan for him, but I don't remember us having a big man this advanced at this stage in his career.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2014, 09:05:07 AM »
It wasn't official? It was never going to be official. Unless the mods ban you, it's not official. The only question is if you go through with your word or back out on it. You offered to self ban, you lied. It's okay to admit you can't live without Scoop, but please stop with the "official" excuse because there is no official with a voluntary self imposed ban.

+1

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2014, 09:10:12 AM »
Luke came from an excellent HS program, and was very well-coached.

How do you know he didn't learn all those skills from Crean?

I am sure that is what Tanned Tommy was telling everyone at the bar last night as he was crying in his beer.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2014, 09:21:52 AM »
You know, I think today is your unlucky day.  You seem to think me locking YOUR THREAD was somehow a sign I (we) approved of you and your posts.  When I lock a thread, it means the thread is out of line.  And you really can't give up talking about Derrick, so you just won a 30 day vacation.  Congrats.

In all sincerity, THANK YOU.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2014, 09:26:01 AM »
Add Luke, subtract Ners??? That's the best trade since Andersen for Bagwell.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2014, 09:27:30 AM »
Add Luke, subtract Ners??? That's the best trade since Andersen for Bagwell.

I'd even say its better than Brock for Broglio!

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2014, 09:36:14 AM »
Best part of the game was to hear the tv commentary that Fischer is much better than Brian Butch ever was!!  I bet you could hear the screams coming from Madison at the BC!

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2014, 09:39:16 AM »
You know, I think today is your unlucky day.....so you just won a 30 day vacation.  Congrats.
Wow...and all expenses paid
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2014, 09:44:03 AM »
You know, I think today is your unlucky day.  You seem to think me locking YOUR THREAD was somehow a sign I (we) approved of you and your posts.  When I lock a thread, it means the thread is out of line.  And you really can't give up talking about Derrick, so you just won a 30 day vacation.  Congrats.

WOOOOOHHHOOOOO!!!

Someone...quick...get the ITS HAPPENING! Gif!!!!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2014, 10:03:43 AM »

You rang?

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2014, 10:15:35 AM »
What does Simeon have to do with this?

The point was that Luke was well-coached, and has a better understanding of space and positioning than Taylor does. At this point in his career, that's more of an indictment of Steve (and Buzz) than Simeon.

The implication from your statement that Luke came from a powerhouse and well coached team seemed to be qualifying why Luke has such a great basketball iq and understanding of space that Steve doesn't thus the implication would be that you are saying if Steve had gone to a well coached powerhouse he'd have the same basketball iq and understanding of space. That's why the two of us came out and mentioned that Simeon is kind of a big deal to so saying Luke was well coached and came from a powerhouse doesn't really have anything to do with the comparison to Steve.
Maigh Eo for Sam

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2014, 10:15:51 AM »
That was the kid's first game in how long?? Not to be hyperbolic, but that was an incredible performance all things considered. The kid looked like a pre-season BE 1st teamer playing in his junior year. What a debut.  This season's direction and potential have turned
No Finish Line

chapman

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2014, 10:18:10 AM »
The rim protection was outstanding - could not have spotted him in a better place on the floor, or in better position to alter and block shots.  The first can't be taught entirely and relies on the player having that natural awareness, the second is something that coaches somewhere have instilled.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2014, 10:20:28 AM »
The implication from your statement that Luke came from a powerhouse and well coached team seemed to be qualifying why Luke has such a great basketball iq and understanding of space that Steve doesn't thus the implication would be that you are saying if Steve had gone to a well coached powerhouse he'd have the same basketball iq and understanding of space. That's why the two of us came out and mentioned that Simeon is kind of a big deal to so saying Luke was well coached and came from a powerhouse doesn't really have anything to do with the comparison to Steve.

I actually agree with the original poster. Simeons coaching isn't the greatest. Obviously a ton of talent but my dad always said he wouldn't lose a game if he had the guys Simeon did.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2014, 10:23:19 AM »
Was that the best performance for a guy wearing the MU jersey for the first time? I can't imagine many freshman having a game like that and most of the time the first game is against a cupcake. Maybe D-Wade came out the gates hot, but I don't remember? Also I'm too young to know if any of Al's players had a first career game like last night. I think it might be the best debut in the fine history of Warrior basketball.
Bring back FFP!!!

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2014, 10:27:10 AM »
I actually agree with the original poster. Simeons coaching isn't the greatest. Obviously a ton of talent but my dad always said he wouldn't lose a game if he had the guys Simeon did.

I think Smith's track record of getting kids ready to play at the next level speaks for itself.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2014, 10:28:24 AM »
That was the kid's first game in how long?? Not to be hyperbolic, but that was an incredible performance all things considered. The kid looked like a pre-season BE 1st teamer playing in his junior year. What a debut.  This season's direction and potential have turned

I am gonna run with the hyperbole.  It's too bad the BE awards POY instead of MVP, because if we somehow miraculously finish top 4 in conference, you can point to this moment and definitively say the mere presence of Fischer in the lineup completely changes the way this team plays.  That is invaluable.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2014, 10:33:07 AM »
What does Simeon have to do with this?

The point was that Luke was well-coached, and has a better understanding of space and positioning than Taylor does. At this point in his career, that's more of an indictment of Steve (and Buzz) than Simeon.
Luke has been a center for a very long time and has the footwork/experience to go with it. Even as a sophomore in HS he had nice back to basket moves. From what I remember of watching Steve in HS youtube and on AAU teams during the summer, he played a lot of his game on the perimeter. Believe it or not, he shot a lot of 3s and did more slashing. He has never really been a back-to-the-basket guy at all. I would guess when he came here he thought he would be a 3 or 4, never a 5. Luke's experience as a true 5 is obviously way beyond STJ, but it is nice to have a serviceable backup who can give you minutes.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2014, 10:34:41 AM »
Maybe D-Wade came out the gates hot, but I don't remember?

Dug it up.  Yeah, it was pretty impressive.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2001-11-18/sports/0111180566_1_cordell-henry-marquette-coach-tom-crean-loyola

Wade led all scorers with 21 points on 7-of-16 shooting and 7-of-7 from the foul line. He also had nine rebounds, five assists, two blocks and three steals.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2014, 10:38:01 AM »
I am gonna run with the hyperbole.  It's too bad the BE awards POY instead of MVP, because if we somehow miraculously finish top 4 in conference, you can point to this moment and definitively say the mere presence of Fischer in the lineup completely changes the way this team plays.  That is invaluable.

Let's just relax and take a step back here. Fischer had a great debut but ASU is, at best, a middle of the pack Pac-12 team. They also had no film on Fischer with MU and how Wojo might use him. The team was definitely better with him on the floor, but no one should be putting him in the BE POY conversation after one game against an average team.

All that said, I hope that I'm wrong and Luke goes for 19 and 9 a night  ;)

RochesterJeffersons

• Walk-On
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2014, 10:39:34 AM »
Per Marquette Men's Basketball "@MarquetteMBB: ICYMI @Bigfishy40 debut for #mubb last night. http://t.co/4FnRcFbsKj"

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2014, 10:41:22 AM »
I was watching the game while my wife was working on her laptop.  I just kept saying "this changes everything."

Fischer was extremely polished on both ends.  Offensively he could get into position and seal his man and score with either hand on a variety of moves, also was in the right place for dump offs, tip-ins and could roll off screens.  Defensively he blocked and disrupted shots all night and generally avoided dumb fouls and also knew when not to contest in favor of getting in position to rebound.  He has elite size and knows how to use it to his advantage (which, as much as I love Otule, he never really figured that out).  I know, it's only one game and he will have ups and downs especially once teams game plan for him, but I don't remember us having a big man this advanced at this stage in his career.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 10:46:04 AM by JakeBarnes »
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

feedback