[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Luke Fischer  (Read 37066 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Luke Fischer
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2014, 10:41:40 AM »
Let's just relax and take a step back here. Fischer had a great debut but ASU is, at best, a middle of the pack Pac-12 team. They also had no film on Fischer with MU and how Wojo might use him. The team was definitely better with him on the floor, but no one should be putting him in the BE POY conversation after one game against an average team.

All that said, I hope that I'm wrong and Luke goes for 19 and 9 a night  ;)

If Fischer goes for 19 and 9 a night were making the sweet 16. But like you, I'm excited but have my expectations tempered. Just wait for the inevitable scoop meltdown when he has a medeciore to bad performance.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2014, 10:47:57 AM »
That was the kid's first game in how long?? Not to be hyperbolic, but that was an incredible performance all things considered. The kid looked like a pre-season BE 1st teamer playing in his junior year. What a debut.  This season's direction and potential have turned

He could be 1st team this year, Ochefu is average and Stainbrook is slow, other then those two, maybe Opeka from St. Johns, but just can jump, all have some type of weakness's, but one game
does not make a season, hope not, but he has as good a chance as those centers. Of course, they might just take the 5 best players.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2014, 10:51:40 AM »
Nobody really hedges their bets here.  If he would have had a bad game last night, people would be calling him a bust.  Now people are actually floating the idea of a BE POY or first team all BE.

It's one game.  Against a decent, but not really good ASU team, at home. 

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2014, 10:54:32 AM »
Nobody really hedges their bets here.  If he would have had a bad game last night, people would be calling him a bust.  Now people are actually floating the idea of a BE POY or first team all BE.

I think few of us are seriously entertaining those possibilities.  But after the tone this board took post-UNO, I'm willing to indulge in some euphoria-induced fantasies.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2014, 10:56:17 AM »
Rocky, thank you for the Christmas present.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2014, 10:57:29 AM »

I saw him a few times in high school, just thought he was OK, tall, not really skilled, but really was impressed last night, he has certain skills either you have or do not have, he has them,
Chris O'Tule after 5 years really did not have any.  He will be able to score off any of the Big East centers.  Of course will not be 7 for 9 every game, who does that.  But he can get 8 to 9
rebounds every game as he does hustle, that is for sure.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2014, 10:59:50 AM »
I had never sponsored anyone in their fight against any addiction until I agreed to sponsor Ners in Derrick Anonymous.  He fell off the wagon in just over 24 hours.  A week later he's now banned for 30 days.

I really suck at this.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2014, 11:00:01 AM »

This.

I don't want to be the wet blanket, but let's keep our expectations appropriate.

With this said, Luke is very polished for a soph, and he does make the game look easy. 6'11" with a good jump hook with both hands. Just be tall, and put it up softly on the rim. Not rocket science.

He'll need to continue to get stronger, but his footwork and touch are very good on both ends of the floor for an underclassman.

connie

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2014, 11:00:25 AM »
I think few of us are seriously entertaining those possibilities.  But after the tone this board took post-UNO, I'm willing to indulge in some euphoria-induced fantasies.
I am far happier reading happy juice infused ramblings about Luke being BE POY than I am going back to the topic whose name must not be mentioned.  And let's be honest, there was a lot to like about last night's game, from defense to ball movement to some really nice assists, that we have not seen too much of lately, and I plan to enjoy it.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2014, 11:02:09 AM »
You know, I think today is your unlucky day.  You seem to think me locking YOUR THREAD was somehow a sign I (we) approved of you and your posts.  When I lock a thread, it means the thread is out of line.  And you really can't give up talking about Derrick, so you just won a 30 day vacation.  Congrats.

Great ... well done Rocky! However, 30 years to life seems more appropriate.  ;D

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2014, 11:04:19 AM »
The implication from your statement that Luke came from a powerhouse and well coached team seemed to be qualifying why Luke has such a great basketball iq and understanding of space that Steve doesn't thus the implication would be that you are saying if Steve had gone to a well coached powerhouse he'd have the same basketball iq and understanding of space. That's why the two of us came out and mentioned that Simeon is kind of a big deal to so saying Luke was well coached and came from a powerhouse doesn't really have anything to do with the comparison to Steve.

Either Piper has taken one too many knocks to the head, or missed the day when we discussed the difference between "imply" and "infer."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2014, 11:05:56 AM »

And Sultan missed the discussion on the difference between "nobody" and "damn near everyone who sits in front of Scoop a couple hours a day"
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2014, 11:09:57 AM »
By Jon Rothstein | CBS Sports
December 17, 2014 6:41 am PT

4. Luke Fischer will completely change Marquette: The transfer from Indiana made an immediate impact in his season debut Tuesday night vs. Arizona State. If his initial production is any indication, the 6-11 big man instantly will be one of the Big East's better post players. He collected 19 points, nine rebounds and five blocks in a 78-71 win, while providing Steve Wojciecjchowski's team something it was missing -- a legitimate anchor in the pivot. Before Tuesday, the Golden Eagles didn't have a player taller than 6-7. The Wisconsin native will be an all-conference player before he's done -- he's that good.

Link to the whole article:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24897235/observations-we-get-a-read-on-arizona-during-trip-to-utep-unlv
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2014, 11:13:06 AM »
I never understood the "be excited, but not too excited" mentality. Not sure anyone has labeled him the best C in college. I also don't think anyone is going to destroy him if he struggles his next time out.  The fact is his performance last night was nothing short of awesome all things considered. Something to be excited about, not met with reservation.  To each their own I guess.
No Finish Line

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2014, 11:16:27 AM »
I also don't think anyone is going to destroy him if he struggles his next time out. 

They will.

It's the problem with fans.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2014, 11:18:20 AM »
They will.

I'm sure a select few would, but I think the majority are level headed.
No Finish Line

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2014, 11:22:58 AM »
They will.

This board especially likes to really ride the highs and lows of players/games.

ATVSandKARATE

• Scholarship Player
  • Deflections!
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2014, 11:29:27 AM »
It stinks that Fischer and Ellenson will never play together. Being lottery picks after their first years at MU won't let that happen.
I have been thinking about you a lot since last weekend. A whole lot.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2014, 11:32:26 AM »
And Sultan missed the discussion on the difference between "nobody" and "damn near everyone who sits in front of Scoop a couple hours a day"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hyperbole

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2014, 11:34:59 AM »
Umm I know Germantown is a good program and Luke was there for some really strong years but Simeon is a national power. 

Simeon is a national power due to their talent not their coaching.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2014, 11:46:06 AM »
Either Piper has taken one too many knocks to the head, or missed the day when we discussed the difference between "imply" and "infer."

Probably both to be honest. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2014, 11:48:28 AM »
By Jon Rothstein | CBS Sports
December 17, 2014 6:41 am PT

4. Luke Fischer will completely change Marquette: The transfer from Indiana made an immediate impact in his season debut Tuesday night vs. Arizona State. If his initial production is any indication, the 6-11 big man instantly will be one of the Big East's better post players. He collected 19 points, nine rebounds and five blocks in a 78-71 win, while providing Steve Wojciecjchowski's team something it was missing -- a legitimate anchor in the pivot. Before Tuesday, the Golden Eagles didn't have a player taller than 6-7. The Wisconsin native will be an all-conference player before he's done -- he's that good.

Link to the whole article:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24897235/observations-we-get-a-read-on-arizona-during-trip-to-utep-unlv

Buzz called Luke "manna from heaven". According to the Indiana boards Luke wasn't homesick, he was uncomfortable with the "culture" at IU. When he told his Dad some of what was going on, he encouraged him to leave. Wonder if Fred Glass knows.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2014, 11:57:42 AM »
Buzz called Luke "manna from heaven". According to the Indiana boards Luke wasn't homesick, he was uncomfortable with the "culture" at IU. When he told his Dad some of what was going on, he encouraged him to leave. Wonder if Fred Glass knows.

Nice baiting of the hook, but that other big fish isn't biting on this anymore.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2014, 11:59:50 AM »

I'm just impressed that nobody is seriously waxing poetic about him leaving MU early to be a sure-fire NBA first-round pick. (Yet.)

I mean, some had Deonte as the next Barkley, Mayo as the next Vinny Johnson and, if memory serves, Grimm as the next Neal Walk!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2014, 12:00:55 PM »
As Fischer checked out for the final time with 31 seconds to play, the Bradley Center crowd loudly chanted "Luuuuuke." It is just one game, but the sophomore gave a glimpse of why Marquette couldn't wait to get him eligible.
"Part of the reason I came back was to play for a team in Wisconsin, to play for a team I grew up cheering for," Fischer said. "After I left (the state of Wisconsin) I didn't understand why I didn't stay home."
http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/luke-fischer-quickly-makes-presence-felt-for-marquette-golden-eagles-121614

feedback