collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Offseason and Winter Meetings  (Read 43580 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
MLB Offseason and Winter Meetings
« on: December 07, 2014, 05:04:01 PM »
Anyone have any big theories? Takes on what has happened so far this offseason?

I'd look for the Dodgers to be active, they have what, 5-6 outfielders, I  personally hope the White Sox are in on Kemp.  Not sure what they'd have to give up, and if they'd have the stomach for it.  That conversation may start with Quintana, or Alexei.  Not really sure.  Crawford may be a good fit too to platoon with Viciedo, but I wouldn't give up too much for him and the Dodgers would have to eat a huge chunk of his salary. 

The Sox are also rumored to be looking at a big move on the pitching front.  Either Scherzer or Shields will be big expenses, but the Sox are pretty low on payroll, so it may be within reason.  They have also been linked to Samardzija.  They have a big need for a RH starter.

The Sox also need a bullpen arm or two, I would really expect some help to arrive there.  Not sure it will be Robertson or anyone that high profile. 

Any takes on what the Brewers, Cubs (other than Lester) or Cards (or whoever else) will be doing?

Big moves by Boston already (Panda and Hanley), neither without their flaws, but both will help.
Boston also seems likely to trade Cespedes.
Yanks replaced Jeter with Gregorious.

Should be a fun week!  Or a complete let down, only time will tell! 

tower912

• All American
Re: MLB Offseason and Winter Meetings
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 05:05:51 PM »
Tigers trade Price for a high caliber corner outfielder and re-sign Scherzer.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 05:18:16 PM »
Tigers trade Price for a high caliber corner outfielder and re-sign Scherzer.   

Interesting.  Which one would you rather have?  Price is actually younger, left handed, and actually a little more consistent.    Price has 1 more year before free agency, both will command huge contracts.  It is an interesting comparison. 

Personally I think I'd rather hold on to Price.

Any chance they trade Verlander and keep both?  Or do you think they can't afford to sell so low on him?  He sure has a lot of money (140 million) coming to him over the next 5 years.  That may almost make him untrade-able. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 05:33:27 PM »
Given Verlander's drop in velocity and effectiveness I wouldn't take Him off the Tiger's hands unless they payed a bunch of his salary, let alone trade something for him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 06:12:30 PM »
Verlander isn't going anywhere.   He is healthy this offseason as opposed to last.   The last half of '13 he was struggling with an ab weakness, though the tear didn't occur until the offseason.   Then he spent last year recovering.   I look for his velocity to be back and for him to win 18 games.   I would trade Price because he didn't seem comfortable as a Tiger.   Scherzer has always had good chemistry with the rest of the team.   But this is all theoretical.   More likely, Scherzer moves on and the Tigers grab a corner outfielder at the meetings for a couple of minor leaguers. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 06:31:39 PM »
Don't think Kate figures Verlander has lost any off his fastball, hey?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 07:46:36 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brandx

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 06:54:31 PM »
Brewers are probably done unless they add a utility man or reliever. But nothing big.

They have talked with Boston about Allen Craig, but unless the BoSox want to dump him for nothing, it won't happen.

The Yankees, Red Sox and Angels will be the main players for the big starters out there. Business as usual.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 09:22:20 AM »
Interesting.  Which one would you rather have?  Price is actually younger, left handed, and actually a little more consistent.    Price has 1 more year before free agency, both will command huge contracts.  It is an interesting comparison. 

Personally I think I'd rather hold on to Price.

Any chance they trade Verlander and keep both?  Or do you think they can't afford to sell so low on him?  He sure has a lot of money (140 million) coming to him over the next 5 years.  That may almost make him untrade-able. 

I would take Price over Scherzer because of his consistent ability to go deep into games. However I think tower is correct that shipping Price and re-signing Max is the more likely outcome with Illitch and Dave Dombrowski running the show.

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 08:23:59 AM »
White sox ink Josh Robertson to a four year/$46 million contract, as well as reportedly about to trade Semien, Bassitt, and a third player for Jeff Samardzija.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/12002705/chicago-white-sox-acquire-jeff-samardzija-david-robertson

I gotta say the White Sox have done exceptionally well in addressing the pitching issues already, they look like they'll be able to contend in the AL central again finally.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 08:56:34 AM »
White sox ink Josh Robertson to a four year/$46 million contract, as well as reportedly about to trade Semien, Bassitt, and a third player for Jeff Samardzija.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/12002705/chicago-white-sox-acquire-jeff-samardzija-david-robertson

I gotta say the White Sox have done exceptionally well in addressing the pitching issues already, they look like they'll be able to contend in the AL central again finally.

Dave Robertson

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 09:26:21 AM »
Dave Robertson

ah good call. I guess I think josh robertson sounds better

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 09:34:14 AM »
ah good call. I guess I think josh robertson sounds better

I'm sorry to see him leaving the Yankees but CWS made him a significantly bigger offer.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 10:14:15 AM »
Both good acquisitions for the Sox, but I think that's a big price for Robertson.  I've never been high on any long terms deals with closers that aren't Mariano Rivera though.
Samardzija is a good pick up and will help this year, but I'd think twice about giving him the big contract he wants after this season.  He's about to turn 30 next month.
Cubs resigned Hammel. If he can stay healthy it will be an okay signing.  He already helped them nab Addison Russell, so maybe he can pitch well enough to lead to another prospect in two years.

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 10:38:07 AM »
He will be turning 30, but has thrown significantly less pitches than the other options out there.  This is from Buster Olney on twitter:

Pitches thrown in reg. season: Samardzija 12,567; Lester 26,321; Scherzer 20,944; Cueto 19,518; Hamels 27,886; Price 19,336; Shields 29,461

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 10:56:28 AM »
He will be turning 30, but has thrown significantly less pitches than the other options out there.  This is from Buster Olney on twitter:

Pitches thrown in reg. season: Samardzija 12,567; Lester 26,321; Scherzer 20,944; Cueto 19,518; Hamels 27,886; Price 19,336; Shields 29,461

Interesting point as he was a reliever early on. However, he wasn't a full-time MLBer until he was 26. Are his minor league numbers included in there?

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 12:14:24 PM »
He's definitely thrown less pitches, which hopefully for the Sox is meaningful, but sometimes the body does what the body does when these guys get older.
Samardzija started pitching in the minors in 2006.  Remember he was a wide receiver out of Notre Dame.

Don Cooper was interviewed about the trade, saying he was excited about the trade. He then had to make a plea for fans to support them.   Sad that he has to do that.  The fact is, nobody wants to go out the Cell.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 07:30:24 PM »
He's definitely thrown less pitches, which hopefully for the Sox is meaningful, but sometimes the body does what the body does when these guys get older.
Samardzija started pitching in the minors in 2006.  Remember he was a wide receiver out of Notre Dame.

Don Cooper was interviewed about the trade, saying he was excited about the trade. He then had to make a plea for fans to support them.   Sad that he has to do that.  The fact is, nobody wants to go out the Cell.

Blah Blah Blah

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »
Cubs win the Lester sweepstakes.  For less years and money than the Giants were offering I believe.  Things starting to take shape a bit on the North Side.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 09:32:34 AM »
Cubs win the Lester sweepstakes.  For less years and money than the Giants were offering I believe.  Things starting to take shape a bit on the North Side.

Now all they need is a 2B, 2 outfielders and 4-5 more quality pitchers and they'll be a contender!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
Now all they need is a 2B, 2 outfielders and 4-5 more quality pitchers and they'll be a contender!

Not taking the bait.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 09:59:26 AM »

Hahahahaha, this makes me happy.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 10:03:11 AM »
Cubs win the Lester sweepstakes.  For less years and money than the Giants were offering I believe. 

Woohoo! The largest contract (6 years, 23.8 million per) ever for a pitcher not named Clayton Kershaw. For a very good, but not great, 30 year old pitcher. What a bargain!

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 10:07:32 AM »
Cubs win the Lester sweepstakes.  For less years and money than the Giants were offering I believe.  Things starting to take shape a bit on the North Side.

This is open to some interpretation.  Now being reported there is a vesting option for a 7th year that would put the Cubs higher than the Giants offer.  

Lester is a great weapon to have in your rotation, but man that is a lot of money.  The price to play just seems crazy high sometimes.  2nd highest annual value (for a pitcher) behind only Kershaw, that is, until Scherzer signs.

And, just to tweak the Cub fans... That is a lot to pay for a guy that is more similar to Jose Quintana than he is to Chris Sale...(go ahead, look at the numbers)

Maybe Chicago baseball will be fun again this year.    
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:11:51 AM by buckchuckler »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 10:10:50 AM »
Meanwhile back on the southside, quietly doing things like they always do in relation to the Cubs. With Duke, Robertson and the kids in the pen, it should be much improved. Finally have a right handed arm to counter Sale and Quintana. Laroche and Abreu for power.

If I were the Sox though, I would sell high on Alexi right now. His value isnt getting any better and hes already 33.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 10:15:11 AM »
Meanwhile back on the southside, quietly doing things like they always do in relation to the Cubs. With Duke, Robertson and the kids in the pen, it should be much improved. Finally have a right handed arm to counter Sale and Quintana. Laroche and Abreu for power.

If I were the Sox though, I would sell high on Alexi right now. His value isnt getting any better and hes already 33.

I disagree on Alexei, the Sox are obviously trying to contend this season.  Trading Alexei undoes a lot of what you have accomplished this offseason.  While you may be right about his value, he also has pretty high value for the Sox.  There aren't many (if any) better all around SSs in the AL.  Trading Alexei would also leave void up the middle,  that would make the Sox pretty thin with Sanchez and Johnson to man SS and 2nd.  Hard to contend with 2 rookies up the middle.  Better to let them fight it out for 2nd.