[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Offseason and Winter Meetings  (Read 43567 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: MLB Offseason and Winter Meetings
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 10:30:50 AM »
I disagree on Alexei, the Sox are obviously trying to contend this season.  Trading Alexei undoes a lot of what you have accomplished this offseason.  While you may be right about his value, he also has pretty high value for the Sox.  There aren't many (if any) better all around SSs in the AL.  Trading Alexei would also leave void up the middle,  that would make the Sox pretty thin with Sanchez and Johnson to man SS and 2nd.  Hard to contend with 2 rookies up the middle.  Better to let them fight it out for 2nd. 

Depending on what they can get for him, they might make out well trading Ramirez. FA Jed Lowrie wouldn't be a major step down and would come cheaper, though likely on a 2-3 year deal. He can also play 2B or 3B. Keeps SS warm until Tim Anderson is ready, assuming he stays at short.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 10:31:25 AM »
All comments in typical White Sox fan fashion.

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2014, 10:37:33 AM »
Now all they need is a 2B, 2 outfielders and 4-5 more quality pitchers and they'll be a contender!

It would be very funny if they ended up in last place again

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 10:55:52 AM »
There aren't many (if any) better all around SSs in the AL. 

Alcides Escobar is in KC, so he's not in the best all-around SS in his division.  I'd also rather have JJ Hardy and with Hanley Ramirez in Boston, Alexi Ramirez is probably 4th.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 11:19:54 AM »
Just replacing E. Jackson with Lester is worth some wins!

Remember Arrieta finished with a 2.6 ERA Kyle Hendricks with a 2.4 (in a limited role). Add Lester into that mix, you could potentially have 3 guys with ERA's that hover around the 3 area (assuming they don't all pitch lights out). That will win you a few ball games even if the cubs continue their high strike out rate.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2014, 11:27:59 AM »
Alcides Escobar is in KC, so he's not in the best all-around SS in his division.  I'd also rather have JJ Hardy and with Hanley Ramirez in Boston, Alexi Ramirez is probably 4th.

You can make cases for those guys, but you can make a case for Alexei over them as well.  Escobar has no pop at all, Alexei averages 11 more HR, 5 more 2B, and 24 more RBI, and for more advanced metrics, Alexei averages about 3 WAR per season and Escobar is just over 1.  Even over the last 3 years, Escobar averages just 1.9.

Hanley, well, Hanley is certainly better offensively.  But he is pretty lacking defensively.  His offense may well balance it out.  It depends on the year I guess.  His numbers have pretty significant variances.  Overall he averages higher WAR, 3.6 to 3.  

I must admit, I didn't factor Hanley in at all because, well he hasn't played a game in the AL since 2005.

Hardy is the best bet.  Elite defender, good hitter.  Averages about 2.7 WAR (again, Alexei is at 3).  Hardly and Alexei are about the same in OBP (minuscule advantage to Alexei), and pretty close in SLG (slight advantage Hardy).  Alexei will steal about 20 bags per season, Hardy, about 1.  Again, cases can be made for either.

Personally I am a little bitter on Hardy because his complete fall off season last year killed my fantasy team.  

Also, the Brewers have lost some quality SS in the last few years. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:31:53 AM by buckchuckler »

Lacrosse218

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2014, 11:43:14 AM »
All comments in typical White Sox fan fashion.

Exactly....and these comments coming from fans of a team that finished worse than the Cubs in 2013 and with the same record as the Cubs in 2014 all while the Cubs were in the largest teardown and rebuild in franchise history.  Sorry, but the Cubs are in a 100x better spot than the White Sox regardless of record this coming season.   

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 11:54:27 AM »
Exactly....and these comments coming from fans of a team that finished worse than the Cubs in 2013 and with the same record as the Cubs in 2014 all while the Cubs were in the largest teardown and rebuild in franchise history.  Sorry, but the Cubs are in a 100x better spot than the White Sox regardless of record this coming season.   

Where do you get that from. The Cubs are so unproven you have no idea how the kids will be until they're under the lights. Sox have a good balance if vets and young guys. Wish they could have kept Simeian but still have a decent farm.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2014, 11:58:37 AM »

Very funny.  The worst team in the history of baseball and they will always be the worst team in the history of baseball.

Lacrosse218

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2014, 12:00:31 PM »
Where do you get that from. The Cubs are so unproven you have no idea how the kids will be until they're under the lights. Sox have a good balance if vets and young guys. Wish they could have kept Simeian but still have a decent farm.

Agreed they are unproven, but they are so stacked with young talent that at least some of it has to pan out.  Additionally, their pockets are deep to spend big moving forward.  I mean long term I feel the Cubs are in a better position.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2014, 12:01:05 PM »
I hate that the Red Sox didn't re-sign Jon Lester, particularly when they could have had him at 5 years/$100M if offered in the spring.  But 6 years and $155M is a lot for a guy whose last four ERAs are 2.46, 3.75, 4.82 and 3.47.  Seems to me you're more likely to be getting the 3.50+ ERA guy than the 2.50- ERA guy of last year.  That's a lot of money for that kind of pitcher.  He's got a lot of pitches on his odometer, too, though he's always been durable and is has been at his best in the biggest games.  

He's one of those guys I will always wish well even though he's abandoned my favorite team.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Lacrosse218

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2014, 12:03:38 PM »
I hate that the Red Sox didn't re-sign Jon Lester, particularly when they could have had him at 5 years/$100M if offered in the spring.  But 6 years and $155M is a lot for a guy whose last four ERAs are 2.46, 3.75, 4.82 and 3.47.  Seems to me you're more likely to be getting the 3.50+ ERA guy than the 2.50- ERA guy of last year.  That's a lot of money for that kind of pitcher.  He's got a lot of pitches on his odometer, too, though he's always been durable and is has been at his best in the biggest games.  

He's one of those guys I will always wish well even though he's abandoned my favorite team.

I think you have to partially factor in that he is moving from the AL to the NL.  Many pitchers who make that switch have a nice improvement in their stats.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2014, 12:06:59 PM »
Just replacing E. Jackson with Lester is worth some wins!

Remember Arrieta finished with a 2.6 ERA Kyle Hendricks with a 2.4 (in a limited role). Add Lester into that mix, you could potentially have 3 guys with ERA's that hover around the 3 area (assuming they don't all pitch lights out). That will win you a few ball games even if the cubs continue their high strike out rate.

If Hendricks finishes with an ERA under 4, I'd be happy...and very surprised.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2014, 12:15:15 PM »

Decent farm?

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2014, 12:15:30 PM »
I'm a Cubs fan and I know everybody hates us. We hate ourselves too.
But the biggest acquisition of the offseason for us happened weeks ago. Joe Maddon. If there is any case at all for eventual contention, it's Maddon.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2014, 12:31:10 PM »

This is why people can't take Cub fans seriously.  "Dude we are so 100 times better than you" 

Cmon really? 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2014, 12:33:44 PM »
This is why people can't take Cub fans seriously.  "Dude we are so 100 times better than you" 

Cmon really? 

Why did you use quotes when that wasn't his actual quote?

Lacrosse218

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2014, 12:36:17 PM »

Cmon really? 

Read the comment, I am not saying we are 100x better than you.  The Sox very well will have a better record and be a better team than the Cubs next year.  I am saying Cubs are in a better spot than White Sox at this juncture and in the near future.  They have the best farm system in all of baseball, again I understand its unproven, but some of them will pan out.  They are ripe with cash to spend moving forward.  You have arguably the most unique stadium and setting for a ballpark in all of baseball with an owner who is investing $500+ million of his own $ to improve all of that.  It is going to do wonders to the allure of Wrigley and the neighborhood in the coming years.

I am not trashing the White Sox and saying Cubs are 100x better, I am just saying I think the Cubs are in a better position as an entire franchise, that is all.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2014, 12:41:19 PM »
Decent farm?

Well, the Sox don't have the farm system of the Cubs to be certain, but when you've had top 10 draft picks, what 6 years in a row, you should have some high level prospects.

The Sox have some good prospects.  Rodon, Tim Anderson, Micah Johnson, Frank Montas, Tyler Danish, Spencer Adams.  They don't have the depth the Cubs have, but they should have guys that can contribute. 

More importantly, the Sox have young talent that is contributing at the Major League level.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2014, 12:47:13 PM »
Woohoo! The largest contract (6 years, 23.8 million per) ever for a pitcher not named Clayton Kershaw. For a very good, but not great, 30 year old pitcher. What a bargain!

And that will last until Scherzer signs his contract and then Scherzer's contract will probably get passed when Price signs next year and maybe when Zimmerman signs.

Given the lack of pitching in the Cubs system and on their current roster they can either sign a top tier FA pitcher for the going rate or dish out top tier prospects.  Maybe they do both, but they can't turn the corner in the rebuilding without beefing up their rotation.  The Cubs hardly have any money committed to their future payroll, so they can definitely take the risk and "overspend".

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2014, 12:48:04 PM »
Read the comment, I am not saying we are 100x better than you.  The Sox very well will have a better record and be a better team than the Cubs next year.  I am saying Cubs are in a better spot than White Sox at this juncture and in the near future.  They have the best farm system in all of baseball, again I understand its unproven, but some of them will pan out.  They are ripe with cash to spend moving forward.  You have arguably the most unique stadium and setting for a ballpark in all of baseball with an owner who is investing $500+ million of his own $ to improve all of that.  It is going to do wonders to the allure of Wrigley and the neighborhood in the coming years.

I am not trashing the White Sox and saying Cubs are 100x better, I am just saying I think the Cubs are in a better position as an entire franchise, that is all.

Even if they are in a better position, it isn't by that much.  The Sox have some of the best contracts in baseball.  They have great talent signed long term for very team friendly rates.  Sale, Quintana, and Abreu together will make less than Lester next season.  Also the are also all signed at least through 2019.  They also have Avi Garcia and Adam Eaton under control until at least 2019.  

With one of the best pitching prospects in baseball knocking on the door. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2014, 12:50:10 PM »
Well, the Sox don't have the farm system of the Cubs to be certain, but when you've had top 10 draft picks, what 6 years in a row, you should have some high level prospects.

The Sox have some good prospects.  Rodon, Tim Anderson, Micah Johnson, Frank Montas, Tyler Danish, Spencer Adams.  They don't have the depth the Cubs have, but they should have guys that can contribute. 

More importantly, the Sox have young talent that is contributing at the Major League level.

If a consensus bottom third farm system is 'decent', sure. They've got nice pieces, and they're not as bad as the Brewers, but keep it realistic.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2014, 12:53:05 PM »
If a consensus bottom third farm system is 'decent', sure. They've got nice pieces, and they're not as bad as the Brewers, but keep it realistic.

Hahaha, a Cub fan saying be realistic.  How droll.  Please tell me what I said that wasn't realistic. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2014, 12:54:16 PM »
Hahaha, a Cub fan saying be realistic.  How droll.  Please tell me what I said that wasn't realistic. 

I was referring back to the 'decent' farm system comment.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2014, 12:57:44 PM »
Even if they are in a better position, it isn't by that much.  The Sox have some of the best contracts in baseball.  They have great talent signed long term for very team friendly rates.  Sale, Quintana, and Abreu together will make less than Lester next season.  Also the are also all signed at least through 2019.  They also have Avi Garcia and Adam Eaton under control until at least 2019.  

With one of the best pitching prospects in baseball knocking on the door. 

Rizzo and Castro will make less than Robertson next year.