collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Syracuse - and the NCAA - is a joke  (Read 4184 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Syracuse - and the NCAA - is a joke
« on: February 04, 2015, 05:22:59 PM »
What a complete joke. How honorable, Syracuse. The year you aren't going to make the NCAA Tournament you suddenly decide, "Yeah, we've broken NCAA rules in the past, we'll punish ourselves by banning ourselves from the post season that we were going to miss this year anyways." And the NCAA will applaud them for this and go about trying to shut down a program that nobody cares about in SMU anyways. Syracuse and the NCAA are embarrassing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Syracuse - and the NCAA - is a joke
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 05:55:52 PM »
This is completely ridiculous. Here's Syracuse's resume and remaining schedule:

15-7 (6-3)
RPI: 69
Projected SOS: 39
Record v RPI Top-50: 1-2
Record v RPI Top-100: 3-5
Best Win: Iowa (50)
Best Road Win: Georgia Tech (110)
Road Record: 2-4

@ Pittsburgh 73
@ Boston College 130
Duke 5
Louisville 13
Pittsburgh 73
@ Notre Dame 28
@ Duke 5
Virginia 3
@ NC State 63

To make the NCAAs, Syracuse needed 5 wins to be safe. Does anyone see 5 wins there? I don't see any way they beat Duke, Louisville, Notre Dame, or Virginia on any court. Road games to Pitt and NC State? Maybe, but they'll be underdogs in both. My guess is they go 2-7 the rest of the way. That would put them on the NIT bubble. Actually, who am I kidding? That'd give them a RPI of 89 and they would be left out of the NIT as well. The only reason they gave themselves this BS "post-season ban" is because they know the CBI is the best tourney they have a realistic shot at.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 05:59:31 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa.. Syracuse? UNC? Penn State? All have paid the piper, I thought?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 06:00:21 PM »
The NCAA continues to be a steaming pile of sh*t. Worthless and corrupt.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 06:12:43 PM »
This is completely ridiculous. Here's Syracuse's resume and remaining schedule:

15-7 (6-3)
RPI: 69
Projected SOS: 39
Record v RPI Top-50: 1-2
Record v RPI Top-100: 3-5
Best Win: Iowa (50)
Best Road Win: Georgia Tech (110)
Road Record: 2-4

@ Pittsburgh 73
@ Boston College 130
Duke 5
Louisville 13
Pittsburgh 73
@ Notre Dame 28
@ Duke 5
Virginia 3
@ NC State 63

To make the NCAAs, Syracuse needed 5 wins to be safe. Does anyone see 5 wins there? I don't see any way they beat Duke, Louisville, Notre Dame, or Virginia on any court. Road games to Pitt and NC State? Maybe, but they'll be underdogs in both. My guess is they go 2-7 the rest of the way. That would put them on the NIT bubble. Actually, who am I kidding? That'd give them a RPI of 89 and they would be left out of the NIT as well. The only reason they gave themselves this BS "post-season ban" is because they know the CBI is the best tourney they have a realistic shot at.

Exactly.  They were not going to go to the NCAAs, they knew it, so now we decide we were doing something we shouldn't have been.  Classic.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 06:16:09 PM »
I at least wanted the pleasure of seeing Boeheim losing to Wake Forest in the ACC tournament.  They even saved that embarrassment.  It's more a reward.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 06:28:03 PM »
I at least wanted the pleasure of seeing Boeheim losing to Wake Forest in the ACC tournament.  They even saved that embarrassment.  It's more a reward.

Get out of jail free card

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 09:11:27 PM »
We have scholarship spots to fill. Lets commit some recruiting violations in the coming months and self-impose a ban on post-season play this year. Proactive!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12280636/syracuse-basketball-team-self-imposes-postseason-ban-year-response-ncaa-investigation

"If the NCAA agrees a one-year postseason ban is sufficient, the new recruits won't be affected."

The school met with NCAA this fall, according to the article. The school punished itself; however, it remains to be seen if the NCAA believes their self-imposed punishment is adequate. Doesnt the NCAA always add more (i.e. scholarship reduction, vacated wins, etc)?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 09:20:35 PM »
Did these violations keep us from the final four?

In 2012, Syracuse declared former center Fab Melo ineligible for the NCAA tournament days before it started. Melo also missed three Big East games during the season because of an academic issue. Early in the 2012-13 season, former forward James Southerland sat out six games for an academic issue but helped lead the Orange to the Final Four.

In March 2012, school officials said the university had self-reported possible violations of its internal drug policy by former members of the team and that the NCAA was investigating. None of the members of that team was involved.

The school also acknowledged the NCAA had inquired into old allegations that players were allowed to practice and play despite being in violation of the school's drug policy.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 10:00:38 PM »
Gotta love it-sorry mom for the potty mouth.  Just for that, I'll wash my own mouth out with soap and go to my room and and.......
don't...don't don't don't don't

paddyquakes

• Walk-On
Syracuse---Noexcuse
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 07:16:26 AM »
Too bad we don't seem to have any skeletons in our closet, or past violations to clear up. This would be the year to self impose penalties, as Syracuse has done. At 15-7 and one year before they bring in the best class Boeheim has ever recruited. So glad to be distanced from that school.
ACC-All Cheaters Conference
ps...2 of Cuse' wins were by 2 Pts each over Buzz

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Syracuse---Noexcuse
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 07:24:06 AM »
I saw that.  So obvious that they self-imposed this year because they have the weakest team they're going to have for a while.  I'm a firm believer that the NCAA is a necessary establishment to keep college sports from spiraling out of control, but they have no teeth.  Their inability to truly punish hurts the integrity of the games, but I suppose thats what the colleges really want, though they may say otherwise.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 07:49:25 AM »
Maybe we should self-impose a ban, just in case any violations ever come to light.  We could then say "this is why we banned ourselves in 2014-15."

#cuseban

paddyquakes

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 09:23:09 AM »
MU has a self imposed ban on making layups, shooting, boxing out and lifting weights. But they say we are scrappy.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 09:26:45 AM »
MU has a self imposed ban on making layups, shooting, boxing out and lifting weights. But they say we are scrappy.

I nominate this for "Post of the Season!"   +1 gazillion!!!
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 09:57:55 AM »
Did I miss the announcement of UNC's self-imposed ban?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 12:40:42 PM »
Simple.....give the NCAA the resources to actually hire enough investigators to do their work.  Secondly, have Congress give them subpena power.  Without it, they have an incredibly tough job.

Before anyone talks about the NCAA has all this money....uhm, no they don't.  It is redistributed to the schools.  If you want to get mad at the NCAA, get mad at your own institutions....they make up the NCAA.  They are the ones that don't want to be investigated, but it's easy to blame it on Indianapolis and the NCAA HQ.  The membership is where it starts and stops, but 95% of sports fans don't get that.

feedback