collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:52:38 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Gyros  (Read 38076 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Marquette Gyros
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2014, 08:46:34 PM »
Two things. First: doner kebab's are delicious. A bunch of my buddies and I went to Munich last year to visit my friend who was stationed in Amberg for Oktoberfest and we probably each had 2 of those every night. The scene at these doner stands was hilarious. We absolutely crushed those things.

Second: is the place that moved to the east side Oakland Gyros? They're really successful and IMO it's the best gyro in Milwaukee

Doner kebab trucks starting popping up around DC in the 70s and they were a superlative drunken meal on the street. When the gyro place opened up at MU I was thrilled and turned my wife on to them too. That business just died at MU and moved up near UWM. Oakland Gyros is the same family that did the one near MU.

It is interesting that it failed at MU but flourished near UWM. My observation of the two student bodies is that MU students are from all over but try to assimilate into the MU community. UWM students are from Milwaukee but try to prove they aren't.

I remember back in the day we were with my wife's parents on the east side and I suggested we eat gyros. My future father-in-law glared at me and asked if it was more raw fish? They had visited DC and my folks took them out for sushi in Georgetown. My wife's German Thiensville Burgher dad was not amused.

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2014, 06:23:46 AM »
Really disappointing. Much prefer Gyros over Chili and I would probably say on a nightly basis more people ate at Gyros than Chili now a days.

Young man, you disappoint me.

There was something magical about watching Blondie take away the innocence of one's real chili virginity.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2014, 12:06:10 PM »
Young man, you disappoint me.

There was something magical about watching Blondie take away the innocence of one's real chili virginity.

Mix it up! Mix it up good, boys!

Death on call

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2014, 01:47:50 PM »
I forgot Guillianos but was there nearly every Thursday-Saturday night my freshman year. $2.50 for 2 slices and a Red White and Blue. They served beer to anyone including my roomates 15 year old brother during little sibs weekend.

I remember being there the night they closed. People were tearing the booths out of the walls.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2014, 07:40:09 PM »
Hegartys did have solid food but I think the kitchen closed about 11 pm. The wings special was a good deal

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2014, 11:04:02 PM »
Hegartys did have solid food but I think the kitchen closed about 11 pm. The wings special was a good deal

The food may have been solid going in but it was pretty loose coming out

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2014, 11:22:57 PM »
Speaking of loose, a Grinnell alum mentioned this weekend that he was a fan of "Loose Meat" sandwiches. He claims these are all the rage in in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana. From his description they don't sound very appetizing. What's the Scoop?

Death on call

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2014, 12:36:20 AM »
Speaking of loose, a Grinnell alum mentioned this weekend that he was a fan of "Loose Meat" sandwiches. He claims these are all the rage in in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana. From his description they don't sound very appetizing. What's the Scoop?

Sloppy joe without the sauce.  Its gross if you ask me.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2014, 01:32:12 AM »
Sloppy joe without the sauce.  Its gross if you ask me.

That's what the Grinnell guy said. Is it true there are restaurants dedicated to Loose Meat? If so I couldn't imagine they would survive...

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2014, 01:51:01 AM »
That's what the Grinnell guy said. Is it true there are restaurants dedicated to Loose Meat? If so I couldn't imagine they would survive...

Montreal's smoked meat is awesome.

Purely. Awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal-style_smoked_meat

Schwartz's Deli.

May Yahweh continue to bless thee for eons to come.
http://schwartzsdeli.com/ca/en/
SS Marquette

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2014, 08:36:23 AM »

Its not the same but this reminded me of the cannibal sandwich, which is quite popular in small town Wisconsin.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2014, 03:15:59 PM »
Said my emotional good bye to Gyros this weekend. 2 orders of fried mac n cheese bites (they were out of fried pickles) and a gyros sandwich.  RIP
Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2014, 06:54:45 PM »
Whatever happened to Wales? That place was a god send when it opened up. The food landscape was pretty bleak back in our day.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2014, 06:58:03 PM »
Whatever happened to Wales? That place was a god send when it opened up. The food landscape was pretty bleak back in our day.

Why don't you come to campus sometime and find out?
Have some patience, FFS.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2014, 07:58:44 PM »
A gyro place opened up on Wells in 79. The food was great but the shop was never crowded. I knew gyros from the doner kebab trucks that were popular in DC so I went to this place often. The owner was a great Lebanese guy but it was clear he wasn't making it. He moved to the east side near the Oriental Theater and did a booming business so it was more a matter of the Marquette crowd not being ready for 'exotic' fare.

Back then late night chow was limited to Angelo's, Real Chili, Wales, and Geo Webb so losing the gyro place was a 20% reduction in available gut fill. If one started drinking earlier you could hit Cousins; Suburpia had closed by then.     

The gyro place on Wells was called Charco. My roomie used to get gyros from there on Saturday nights, eat half and put the other half in the frig. By wake up time on Sunday that half gyro had gained lots of strength.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2014, 08:11:33 PM »
Why don't you come to campus sometime and find out?

That was my wife's duty. Going back meant time with the in-laws

Death on call

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2014, 08:50:51 PM »

Being a native Hoosier, I can't speak to loose meat sandwiches, but I have heard of them. However, my hometown has a hell of a breaded pork tenderloin, go ahead and diss, scoopers:

https://nickskitchen.net/

p.s., But if you're in northeastern Indiana, stop in, it's worth it.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2014, 10:02:21 PM »
Being a native Hoosier, I can't speak to loose meat sandwiches, but I have heard of them. However, my hometown has a hell of a breaded pork tenderloin, go ahead and diss, scoopers:

https://nickskitchen.net/

p.s., But if you're in northeastern Indiana, stop in, it's worth it.

Same here....never heard of them in Northern Indiana.

Must be Made Rite that they are referring to.

http://maid-rite.com/

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2014, 10:40:14 PM »
Same here....never heard of them in Northern Indiana.

Must be Made Rite that they are referring to.

http://maid-rite.com/

Spot on 83. maid-Rite is a tasty sandwich my Mom somehow had the recipe but it was called an "Otto" by her and my grandma. Wish they'd given me the recipe before my Mom died. My soon to be 100 yr old grandma doesn't remember it either.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2014, 10:47:56 PM »
Spot on 83. maid-Rite is a tasty sandwich my Mom somehow had the recipe but it was called an "Otto" by her and my grandma. Wish they'd given me the recipe before my Mom died. My soon to be 100 yr old grandma doesn't remember it either.

There's a couple of recipes for it on line.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2014, 02:26:45 PM »

Otto is too dignified. Loose Meat has an earthier ring

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2014, 08:31:21 PM »
Otto is too dignified. Loose Meat has an earthier ring

Loose meat sounds like my ballbag on a hot humid day.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2014, 11:03:04 PM »
Loose meat sounds like my ballbag on a hot humid day.

Why do you keep your meat in a ball bag?
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2014, 12:53:35 PM »
The gyro place on Wells was called Charco. My roomie used to get gyros from there on Saturday nights, eat half and put the other half in the frig. By wake up time on Sunday that half gyro had gained lots of strength.

That's the place. Key finding: Don't ever bring home the greasy bag from any Gyro or Korean restaurant unless you wish your abode to reek like either an Incirlik or Osan back alley.

Back in the day of TDYs to Incirlik I brought back to my BOQ room the uneaten remains of a 2 kilo doner kebab meal. I awoke to the most ungodly stench that was likely worse than the doner kebab dude's ass crack. It was a heady mixture of garlic, fried onions, fetid flesh, and BO. The stink permeated everything in my room, including my flight suit. The nomex material soaked up every possible molecule of doner kebab funk. When I went to the briefing theatre that day people avoided me like the plague.

When I got back to Spangdahlem from Turkey I brought my bag into the house which my wife immediately threw outside. She was actually rather upset and I only heard her muttering, "I don't even want to know..."

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2014, 05:36:24 PM »
MU restaurant update: Don't know if it's official or not,  but Pita Brothers,  a very popular food truck around campus, is putting in a permanent location about a half-block west of Walgreens on Wisconsin Ave. Certainly an upgrade from the dollar store that was there previously.
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback