[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Gyros  (Read 38072 times)

checkmarq

• Walk-On
Marquette Gyros
« on: June 13, 2014, 09:53:25 PM »
Paint Touches is reporting Marquette Gyros is closing on June 30th. Say what you will about their decorating style, but I thought their late night food was pretty decent. I assume this is MU sprawl in action. Anyone have anymore insight?

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Marquette Gyros
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 10:51:56 PM »
The owner just became a millionaire.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 11:51:51 PM »
Loved me some Marquette Gyros after a night out on Water St. Greasiest burgers on campus
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 12:09:16 AM »
I was never a fan. More into Real Chili, Pizza Shuttle or just hitting up Open Pantry but its always sad to see an institution closing down. Real Chili might be the only thing that hasn't changed in that block.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 05:29:05 AM »
Chimi at Amigo's.   Or pancakes at the IHOP. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 07:49:55 AM »
Gyros was quality drunk food.  I remember leaving the bag in my room after eating it and the room would be a hotbox of gyro the next morning. Ah memories
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 09:16:02 AM »
Gyros was quality drunk food.  I remember leaving the bag in my room after eating it and the room would be a hotbox of gyro the next morning. Ah memories

After eating late night gyros, we'd put everything into the bag(s) and throw them out the front door and into the apartment hallway. We'd take it to the trash the next morning/afternoon when we got up.

Really a D-move, but it's difficult to move after 20+ beers and a gyro.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 09:26:25 AM »
Their frickles are amazing.  Lucky I just set up a visit to MU the 28th-30th so I'll be getting a crazy gyro fix that weekend
Maigh Eo for Sam

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 06:43:45 AM »
Sad to hear of the closing. Many of nights spent there and my kids at MU have spent many there as well. Need to get there before they close.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 07:18:43 AM »
I was never a fan. More into Real Chili, Pizza Shuttle or just hitting up Open Pantry but its always sad to see an institution closing down. Real Chili might be the only thing that hasn't changed in that block.

Same here.  I always opted for Real Chili or Guliano's (2 slices & a drink) for like $2.50.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 08:18:18 AM »
MU has owned the building for awhile now, since 2007 at least.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 03:15:03 PM »
I was a bigger fan of Real Chili for late night drunk food, but every now and then a gyro and some of those curly fries were just necessary.

Sad to see it go.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 03:26:23 PM »
This is sad. Like many others here, I preferred Real Chili but it is sad to see this establishment closing its doors as it really represents what little is left of the old-school Marquette campus. Hegarty's closing was especially difficult, and after Gyros closes Real Chili will really be all that is left, unless you count Angelo's rebirth as Sobelman's.

Marquette Gyros had the best $1.99 burger you could find, and a really solid gyro. But perhaps the best part was Gus, the proprietor of the joint. Here was a nice write-up on him from my senior year: http://marquettewire.org/2007/09/04/tribune/tribune-news/just-another-night-at-the-office/

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 03:37:13 PM »
I am told there is a bit of a background story to this.  Gyros doesn't sell beer so this can't be related to underage drinking.  Wouldn't want to speculate.  But certainly a sad day. 

I doubt today's kids are going to have the same lifelong loyality to Jimmy John's.  And where will the Farley brothers go now?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 03:39:09 PM »
I am told there is a bit of a background story to this.  Gyros doesn't sell beer so this can't be related to underage drinking.  Wouldn't want to speculate.  But certainly a sad day. 

I doubt today's kids are going to have the same lifelong loyality to Jimmy John's.  And where will the Farley brothers go now?

This is an internet message board... If you say there is backstory, you must share!!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 04:04:58 PM »
These things seem to exist on every campus.  There was a story this weekend that a local restaurant (The Educated Burgher, misspelled on purpose) that has served Yale students the last 37 years was closing.  The owners just said business was slow and as there was too much competition. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 10:48:19 PM »
Can't be easy to keep the lights on when your market is give May to August and you're busiest time of the day is after 11P.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 10:05:06 AM »
Chimi at Amigo's.   Or pancakes at the IHOP. 

+1 on Chimi.  Add the Marquette special from Lucci's Pizza

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 11:57:23 AM »
Chicken bacon swiss was by far the best thing on the menu. and the 3am cheese fries my CT roommate was nice enough to bring me when he woke me up on after a long night of drinking on Wednesdays/Thursdays

Going to have to make a trek back soon.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 09:27:10 PM »
the 3am cheese fries my CT roommate was nice enough to bring me when he woke me up on after a long night of drinking on Wednesdays/Thursdays

Uhh... say what?

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 06:01:27 PM »
cheese fries and those Ore-Ida crinkle fries.... drool.

The gyros were okay. I preferred Ziggy's tzatziki over Marquette's and the other place (escaping me rightn ow).
SS Marquette

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 06:33:29 PM »
I was always a Louie D's fan. Mostly because of proximity (and the squeeze bottles of gyro sauce)

That extra one block walk to Marquette Gyros from Hegarty's was just wayyyy too far most of the time

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 06:42:19 PM »
+1 on Chimi.  Add the Marquette special from Lucci's Pizza

The Lucci's special was awesome.   Find 3 friends, chip in $2.50 each, get that pizza....and it was a good pizza.   What was the name of the pizza place that had the pizza eating challenge?   Something like if 2 people could finish an 18" x 36" pizza in an hour, it was free.    Near 27th and Wisconsin, IIRC.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 06:45:32 PM »
2 things:

1. my longest college "relationship" began at Gyros, no joke.
2. Guy from my dorm worked there freshman year. Kind of a scummy guy, but he was nice to us. Paid 100% under the table, and he told me all employees were paid that way.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »
Marquette Gyro's was on the way back to O'Donnell and Mashuda so I'd usually drop $2 on a cheeseburger...not bad when you were lit.