[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Gyros  (Read 38073 times)

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
Re: Marquette Gyros
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 10:34:55 PM »
Can't be easy to keep the lights on when your market is give May to August and you're busiest time of the day is after 11P.

The place was also pretty much never open at all during the week this school year. I never understood why; I'm sure a bunch of people would eat there when they aren't inebriated.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 01:55:21 AM »
Sad to hear of the closing. Many of nights spent there and my kids at MU have spent many there as well. Need to get there before they close.

Goose makes one last pilgrimage to the Mecca of Marquette Late Night Middle Eastern Dining

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 02:18:59 AM »
Keefe

Counting the days to get home to enjoy one last stop the joint with my kids. My youngest son is staying on campus this summer and getting share while the old man works.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 04:26:16 AM »
Curious if anyone remembers when MG opened.  I don't recall it open during my day. 

For a gyro, we used to have to go to either the Circle, or schlep it down Wisconsin avenue to a place by Grand avenue.  The place on Wisconsin ave served monster portions.  Good stuff.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 07:46:29 AM »
The Lucci's special was awesome.   Find 3 friends, chip in $2.50 each, get that pizza....and it was a good pizza.   What was the name of the pizza place that had the pizza eating challenge?   Something like if 2 people could finish an 18" x 36" pizza in an hour, it was free.    Near 27th and Wisconsin, IIRC.   

That location made delivery key.  I think the Marquette special was $6.99 or $7.99 for a 16" sausage, mushroom and onion pizza, "pizza rolls" (seasoned puffed dough) and a liter of pepsi.  And you could pay with a check, which was key after my last crumpled up dollar was in the hands of a bartender at the establishment of the evening.  I don't remember the pizza challenge--how did I miss that???

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2014, 08:08:02 AM »
This is an internet message board... If you say there is backstory, you must share!!

Sorry Bleu, don't know what it is specifically.  Just that MU seemingly has a role in this.  Again, it can't be the 'you're serving underage kids and we've had this chat before' issue.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2014, 08:35:11 AM »
Curious if anyone remembers when MG opened.  I don't recall it open during my day. 

For a gyro, we used to have to go to either the Circle, or schlep it down Wisconsin avenue to a place by Grand avenue.  The place on Wisconsin ave served monster portions.  Good stuff.

Chili,
Somewhere between 1987 - 1991.  It wasn't there when I started Marquette, but MG was there when I finished.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2014, 09:21:48 AM »
Sorry Bleu, don't know what it is specifically.  Just that MU seemingly has a role in this.  Again, it can't be the 'you're serving underage kids and we've had this chat before' issue.

I'm pretty sure Angelo's owned Gyro's so maybe when MU bought Blows they took over Gyro's as well, and of coarse MU would want to ruin a good thing. The food options on campus dwindle by the day.
Bring back FFP!!!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2014, 09:33:51 AM »
I'm pretty sure Angelo's owned Gyro's so maybe when MU bought Blows they took over Gyro's as well, and of coarse MU would want to ruin a good thing. The food options on campus dwindle by the day.

MU had Gyro's before Blows.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2014, 09:35:32 AM »
I kinda think that MU figures that because they lose money on the Annex, if they close every other food option that drunk people love they might actually make some money on the Annex.  Of course they ignore the fact that the food sucks, and the hours are crappy.  I've been theorizing this since they closed Hags and Blows after my Freshman year.  
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2014, 10:11:07 AM »
2 things:

1. my longest college "relationship" began at Gyros, no joke.
2. Guy from my dorm worked there freshman year. Kind of a scummy guy, but he was nice to us. Paid 100% under the table, and he told me all employees were paid that way.

So you are the little guy that worked there and made out with his nasty red headed girl sitting on the counter.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2014, 10:19:53 AM »
So you are the little guy that worked there and made out with his nasty red headed girl sitting on the counter.

Ahh good ole Christos.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2014, 10:32:40 AM »
2 things:

1. my longest college "relationship" began at Gyros, no joke.
2. Guy from my dorm worked there freshman year. Kind of a scummy guy, but he was nice to us. Paid 100% under the table, and he told me all employees were paid that way.

Are 1 & 2 related? U dated a dude from Gyros?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2014, 11:11:48 AM »
Chili,
Somewhere between 1987 - 1991.  It wasn't there when I started Marquette, but MG was there when I finished.

Those 4 years really are a blur, aren't they?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2014, 11:30:22 AM »
Those 4 years really are a blur, aren't they?

That's about right.  Weren't they for everyone?

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2014, 10:12:29 PM »
as much as I loved Marquette Gyros and Real Chili - nothing beat late night filler of  "Guliano's (2 slices & a drink) for like $2.50"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2014, 10:25:37 PM »

A gyro place opened up on Wells in 79. The food was great but the shop was never crowded. I knew gyros from the doner kebab trucks that were popular in DC so I went to this place often. The owner was a great Lebanese guy but it was clear he wasn't making it. He moved to the east side near the Oriental Theater and did a booming business so it was more a matter of the Marquette crowd not being ready for 'exotic' fare.

Back then late night chow was limited to Angelo's, Real Chili, Wales, and Geo Webb so losing the gyro place was a 20% reduction in available gut fill. If one started drinking earlier you could hit Cousins; Suburpia had closed by then.     

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2014, 07:20:49 AM »
as much as I loved Marquette Gyros and Real Chili - nothing beat late night filler of  "Guliano's (2 slices & a drink) for like $2.50"

+1

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2014, 08:05:17 AM »
A gyro place opened up on Wells in 79. The food was great but the shop was never crowded. I knew gyros from the doner kebab trucks that were popular in DC so I went to this place often. The owner was a great Lebanese guy but it was clear he wasn't making it. He moved to the east side near the Oriental Theater and did a booming business so it was more a matter of the Marquette crowd not being ready for 'exotic' fare.

Back then late night chow was limited to Angelo's, Real Chili, Wales, and Geo Webb so losing the gyro place was a 20% reduction in available gut fill. If one started drinking earlier you could hit Cousins; Suburpia had closed by then.     

What about the Ham 'n Egger??  IIRC, you were a fan of Hegarty's, which would mean you must have stumbled to the Ham 'n Egger once or twice!  (And, in my years at least, Wales was not really a late not joint)

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2014, 08:33:09 AM »

Two things. First: doner kebab's are delicious. A bunch of my buddies and I went to Munich last year to visit my friend who was stationed in Amberg for Oktoberfest and we probably each had 2 of those every night. The scene at these doner stands was hilarious. We absolutely crushed those things.

Second: is the place that moved to the east side Oakland Gyros? They're really successful and IMO it's the best gyro in Milwaukee
Bring back FFP!!!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2014, 09:01:27 AM »
Hegarty's had excellent food 04-08.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2014, 09:06:22 AM »
Second: is the place that moved to the east side Oakland Gyros? They're really successful and IMO it's the best gyro in Milwaukee

Have you ever tried the Deluxe at the Gyro Stand on Oklahoma? grilled mushrooms, onions, tomato and green pepper

http://www.allmenus.com/wi/milwaukee/184933-the-gyros-stand/menu/

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2014, 09:31:31 AM »
Never heard of it. I don't live in Milwaukee so next time I'm up there I'll try to check it out. I love me a gyro
Bring back FFP!!!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2014, 01:38:01 PM »
What about the Ham 'n Egger??  IIRC, you were a fan of Hegarty's, which would mean you must have stumbled to the Ham 'n Egger once or twice!  (And, in my years at least, Wales was not really a late not joint)

I was indeed a fan of Hegarty's and did some focused drinking inside that august hallway of a bar. Ham 'n Egger was just after my time. I believe it replaced a great lunch spot, Sy's Deli. Han n' Egger would have been great since it was right on the glide slope between Heg's and our house on 15th.

And I think you are right about Wales. It shuttered around midnight when it first opened so if you made an early night of it you could get some grease to counter the alcohol raging through your system. 

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2014, 08:14:11 PM »
Really disappointing. Much prefer Gyros over Chili and I would probably say on a nightly basis more people ate at Gyros than Chili now a days.

feedback