Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blue article from ESPN  (Read 39642 times)

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Re: Blue article from ESPN
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 11:44:00 PM »
I knew he bounced around but had no idea it was to that extent. Wow. Keep your head up, Van. Keep grinding.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 12:07:55 AM »
Honestly, I didn't know you could spend $600 on a pair of sneakers other than some of these crazy limited edition ones.  I just have a pick-up truck mentality I guess.  I don't get it.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 12:13:54 AM »
Honestly, I didn't know you could spend $600 on a pair of sneakers other than some of these crazy limited edition ones.  I just have a pick-up truck mentality I guess.  I don't get it.

Haven't shopped for a pickup recently eh? ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 12:23:29 AM »
Haven't shopped for a pickup recently eh? ;)

I buy mine used.  Cars depreciate so much the second they come off the lot new, especially trucks.  So I don't buy them new.  I'm driving an '06 right now

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 01:54:05 AM »
As much as I think Vander made a bad choice, the fact that this article exists means he has a good agent who's getting his name out.  And, if he's really giving his mother the ability to help him with his finances,  there's at least one and possibly two (the agent) responsible adults involved here.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 04:31:08 AM »
Chico, it's dangerous to text while driving.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 08:48:09 AM »
I've known it all along, and this is finally the confirmation I needed to say it:

Some greaseball agent out there just made upwards of $10,000 last year simply by convincing a young kid to make a very poor decision.

As much as I think Vander made a bad choice, the fact that this article exists means he has a good agent who's getting his name out.

Hopefully his former greaseball agent realizes that he, too, made a very poor decision.  And hopefully the new agent can really make him regret that decision.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:16:42 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 08:50:57 AM »
I wonder how long before Vander shows up at practice in Blacksburg wearing VPI shorts.

And if he does, will the fire stoke hot enough to melt a Scoop thread?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 08:51:49 AM »
Most people spend stupidly on a thing or two.  Few of us live like the greatest generation, anymore.  So I won't pick apart a ridiculous shoe splurge.  

Part of me wonders if these bus rides, moves, etc might be better for Blue in the long run rather than a deep tourney run where everyone's _________ his _____.

Wes, Jimmy & Jae found success, in part, because they had the hard road at one point or another, basketball-wise.  Might be good for Blue to spend sometime on that road.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 08:55:31 AM »
I've known it all along, and this is finally the confirmation I needed to say it:

Some greaseball agent out there just made upwards of $10,000 last year simply by convincing a young kid to make a very poor decision.

And now the greaseball agent realizes that he, too, made a very poor decision.  Consider this a CYO move on his part.

Did you read the part where he's on his second agent?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 09:15:27 AM »
Did you read the part where he's on his second agent?

Missed that. Mea culpa.  I'll edit.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 09:25:51 AM »
I'm not sure his 1st agent could have netted out 10K.  Agents often times assume tremendous pre draft costs; training, temp housing, travel, etc.  Sometimes they take on more risk than the player.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 09:33:42 AM »
Well, the grass is always greener.

Playing for MU looks like it would have been more fun if you are constantly being shipped from team to team... however going through bootcamp, all of the classes, practices, etc. and thinking about getting paid would have been tough.

Honestly, the kid has been humbled. He has the athletic ability and the work ethic. It's really just going to come down to if he can shoot. If he can, he can be a bench player in the league for several years and carve out a living.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 10:04:08 AM »
What a great read; thanks for providing the link.

This should be required reading for every high school basketball and football player who is SURE he is going to be a stud making millions. Because as we all know, the vast majority don't get there. Even premier college athletes often are humbled by their professional counterparts.

I think that, like Jerel McNeal, Vander simply doesn't have an NBA skill-set. He's not quite good enough either offensively or defensively for a player of his build. If you are going to have their physiques, you had better either possess an amazing shot from 3-point range or incredible playmaking ability.

It doesn't mean Vander can't find his niche overseas and make a nice living, as Diener has done the last few years and so many others have done too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

314warrior

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 10:29:50 AM »
Great article.  Maybe it was well known, but his Mom not talking to him after the draft was news to me.  That is pretty intense.

Is it that weird for a basketball player to want an excessively expensive pair of shoes?  Shoes are a core part of his profession and his passion.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 10:33:22 AM »
He made some decent money out of school and spent some of it.  OK.  Can't really blame him for that.

How he approaches his future is more important than anything else. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 10:33:58 AM »
Great article.  Maybe it was well known, but his Mom not talking to him after the draft was news to me.  That is pretty intense.

Is it that weird for a basketball player to want an excessively expensive pair of shoes?  Shoes are a core part of his profession and his passion.

And that's why he has to take his dates to Applebee's.
Have some patience, FFS.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 11:19:36 AM »

Also, don't assume that it's just one pair of sneakers.  It says, "...still being lectured by his mother for spending $600 on sneakers."  It could be four pair, or two, or one.  We'll never know.

http://www.zappos.com/men-shoes~F#!/men-shoes/CK_XAToC6xLAAQLiAgMHARg.zso?s=price/desc

http://www.footlocker.com/Mens/Shoes/_-_/N-24Zrj?Ns=P_StyleSalePrice%7C1&cm_REF=Shoes
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 11:39:05 AM »
And that's why he has to take his dates to Applebee's.

He took his date to Applebee's because he's a) constantly on the road and b) he's 21.  Are your kids craving Carnevor, Eddie's or LPB yet?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 11:52:44 AM »
I'm good with Lake Park, but much prefer Crazy Water, AP Kitchen, Odd Duck, and Bacchus over Martini's and Carnevor.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 11:56:50 AM »
He took his date to Applebee's because he's a) constantly on the road and b) he's 21.  Are your kids craving Carnevor, Eddie's or LPB yet?

Exactly, and if you are in a new town and are too busy to find a nice local place, you go to a chain.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 12:02:38 PM »

My 22 yo is a BWW fanatic. 

Class71

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »

Can pay any amount for shoes but does not put the ball in the hole. Not the best of judgment here.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2014, 12:09:45 PM »
Can pay any amount for shoes but does not put the ball in the hole. Not the best of judgment here.

Of course he was the leading scorer on an Elite 8 team...but whatever...