[Today at 09:38:03 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Hallmarq
[Today at 09:02:39 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blue article from ESPN  (Read 39713 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Blue article from ESPN
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2014, 04:40:35 PM »
Aaaaand... the similarities with Keefe come to a grinding halt.

Of course, you realize I was kidding?

But, as regards fish fries, my family thought it odd we were having a rehearsal dinner as fish fry until they got to Turners and the Milwaukee tradition was explained. Still, I recall my wife saying her parents sprang for 350 dinners at a country club while mine got away with 25 fish fries.

I should have demanded a zum sehen.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2014, 04:51:23 PM »
The signs in Singapore are great.  Litter or spit at your peril.  I recall a "No Trespassing" sign that had a pic of a guy with a semiautomatic weapon.  Decided not to climb that fence....

Other than the durian, Singapore has some awesome food.

Oh, man, but that's a fact. Sundays after Mass we often went to the Apollo in Little India for Fish Head Curry. East Coast had chili or pepper crab. Lunch was often char kwei teow, nasi goreng, nasi lemak, laksa, mee goreng, etc... After a night of drinking or to cure a next morning hangover I headed straight to a roti prata stall for 5 pratas with fish curry. Chicken or mutton biryani, hainanese chicken rice, grilled chili stingray, etc... We often stopped at Newton Circus hawker centre for dinner and loaded up on various dishes then spent a couple hours catching up over luke warm Tigers. Singapore, with its blend of Chinese, Indian, Malay, and Indonesian cuisines, is one of the world's best food cities. 

Death on call

Class71

• All American
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2014, 05:06:14 PM »
Durian is an acquired taste. I actually don't mind it but it does have a strong sulphur/rotten egg odor that can be off putting. There are signs in hotels and cabs in Jakarta and Singapore advising that durian is not allowed in lifts and vehicles (though not for Thai rice whose scent lingers permanently in Singapore taxis...) I once attended a birthday celebration for someone where durian cake was served. As a fruit, people will comment on a durian's texture as an assessment of quality. The creamier or more buttery the texture the better.

Durian originated in Indonesia but is cultivated throughout SE Asia. I never gave thought to how it is grown but while golfing in Penang I noticed netting under tree foliage more than 100' up throughout the course. On the back nine my ball was on the first cut but the caddie moved my ball into the fairway some 20'. Since I was playing with some Japanese, they are sticklers for rules, I was concerned about this action but the caddie explained that there was no netting on the trees on that hole and so the ball needed to be dropped with out penalty into the fairway. The trees were durian and the netting catches the falling fruit. Since this hole didn't have netting it was required to drop out of the safety hazard.

In the clubhouse bar I read some articles from the New Straits Times framed on the wall about golfers having been killed and maimed by falling durian. As you might know a spiked shell 20 pound durian falling 100' will indeed kill anyone beneath.

Many types of durian. I have even seen some in the US without the famous odor. Personally the odor is less than desirable for westerners. And yes the texture is very smooth but IMHO like slimmy nuts.

Having said that for those new to Asia's I would recommend Singapore as the first stop in making the transition. Here it is easy to speak English and can sample high quality, Thai, Indonesian, Mayalsian, Chinese, Indian and local dishes. If you wish to be extreme and cast caution to the wind travel to Western China and sample the food there. Personally I would not recommend it. Baby live mice, carp and eel are one thing but that is just for starters. They will look until they find something you will not be able to tolerate. It appears to be part of the initiation process.

I have to say Asia is my favorite part of the world and would encourage people to make the trip several times. The distances are hugh but the memories last a lifetime. You will not forget the different experiences in each country.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »
Thanks, Sir. Hopefully they kept the ambiance and quality of food. As far as I know, Milwaukee is the only place I have found with the Friday Fish Fry tradition which is likely due to the predominant Catholic population. That it survived Vatican II makes it all the more interesting.

The substitution of fish for meat is curious but based on Aquinas' Summa Theologica where he outlined meat as being from animals that breath air and walk on the earth. I recall reading that the behavioral definition of meat allows for alligators, crocodiles, and beavers to be substituted for meat. Personally, I have eaten gator and beaver but never croc. Of the two I much prefer eating beaver as gator can be gamey.

I'm with ya brother, on that beaver eatin' thing.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2014, 08:07:03 PM »
Actually, there must be some genetic modification going on because today's beaver has very little if any pelt.

Since beavers are warm blooded, there really is no good reason for a pelt whatsoever, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Grandstaff

• Walk-On
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2014, 08:19:04 PM »

I'm with ya brother, on that beaver eatin' thing.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2014, 08:36:23 PM »
Durian is an acquired taste. I actually don't mind it but it does have a strong sulphur/rotten egg odor that can be off putting. There are signs in hotels and cabs in Jakarta and Singapore advising that durian is not allowed in lifts and vehicles (though not for Thai rice whose scent lingers permanently in Singapore taxis...) I once attended a birthday celebration for someone where durian cake was served. As a fruit, people will comment on a durian's texture as an assessment of quality. The creamier or more buttery the texture the better.

Durian originated in Indonesia but is cultivated throughout SE Asia. I never gave thought to how it is grown but while golfing in Penang I noticed netting under tree foliage more than 100' up throughout the course. On the back nine my ball was on the first cut but the caddie moved my ball into the fairway some 20'. Since I was playing with some Japanese, they are sticklers for rules, I was concerned about this action but the caddie explained that there was no netting on the trees on that hole and so the ball needed to be dropped with out penalty into the fairway. The trees were durian and the netting catches the falling fruit. Since this hole didn't have netting it was required to drop out of the safety hazard.

In the clubhouse bar I read some articles from the New Straits Times framed on the wall about golfers having been killed and maimed by falling durian. As you might know a spiked shell 20 pound durian falling 100' will indeed kill anyone beneath.

After nearly 20 years in Asia, there are 3 things not allowed in my house:
a) Durian
b) Sambal terasi
c) MSG
Everything else, including plates of dog, cat, horse, snake, eel, fish lips (sichuan style), chicken feet, etc. has just been an enjoyable part of the journey. 

Nothing worse than getting on an airplane in Indonesia and sitting next to someone who's (illegally) smuggled some Durian on the plane.  The worst smell ever.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2014, 09:18:46 PM »
a) Durian
b) Sambal terasi
c) MSG
Everything else, including plates of dog, cat, horse, snake, eel, fish lips (sichuan style), chicken feet, etc. has just been an enjoyable part of the journey. 

Nothing worse than getting on an airplane in Indonesia and sitting next to someone who's (illegally) smuggled some Durian on the plane.  The worst smell ever.

Where have you lived? Corporate life we did stints in Tokyo x 3, HK x 2, Singapore, and Jakarta. If you are in Jakarta we lived in Kemang then Pondok Indah; loved the vibe there despite living through the Soeharto overthrow.

I am an adventuresome soul and have eaten every bit of animal put in front of me with little reservation. About the only things I wouldn't need to eat again would be monkey and dog.

One time, flying back to the States from Tokyo, at Narita I bought a large bag of dried squid which is a snack item in Japan. Once we got wheels in the well I ordered the coldest Kirin on the jet and pushed my seat back to enjoy a repast that only two pounds of dried squid can deliver.

From the sheer weight of the bag I calculated that my feast should last for at least a couple thousand miles. I was eating my squid with great relish, really savoring the piquancy of the chili seasoning while letting the pungent aroma of dried sea creature fill the air around me.

No sooner had I taken a sip of my Kirin Ichiban when a gaijin female cried out in a voice that must have shook the strakes of the airframe, "What in God's name is that horrible smell!" I figured someone in her vicinity had let the decrease in air pressure get the better of them with an involuntary release of a particularly toxic spray of flatulence. It was with utter horror that I realized from her stare she was referring to me.

As I stammered out an, "it wasn't me..." I noticed that her gaze had shifted from my face to the offending bag of dead sea animals. I was ready to tell her to mind her own business when my wife reached over, grabbed my bag of briny treats and gave it to a relieved flight attendant. When she got back to her seat my wife simply said, "What's wrong you. That stuff really stinks." 

Death on call

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2014, 09:23:52 PM »
I spent about 70 days in Japan for work this year and loved it. 

One of the most junior people I work with bought a squid snack and brought it to the conference room where we were working.  Once he opened it, the smell was overwhelming and terrible.  We made him throw it away outside of the room.  This turned just turned out to be one of the many bad judgment calls he has made at work and was recently let go. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2014, 11:18:11 PM »

b) Sambal terasi

I guess you don't like seafood paste. The key ingredient in most SE Asian cuisine is balacan or shrimp paste. Like my dried squid, I love the musky scent of balacan in the morning. It smells like ...victory.

Death on call

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2014, 12:53:01 AM »
Where have you lived? Corporate life we did stints in Tokyo x 3, HK x 2, Singapore, and Jakarta. If you are in Jakarta we lived in Kemang then Pondok Indah; loved the vibe there despite living through the Soeharto overthrow.

Lived in Irian Jaya (2x), Jakarta (3x), Singapore (2x), and Beijing.  Have travelled everywhere in India, China, S.E. Asia.  Missing only Brunei and Cambodia from my S.E. Asia country list.  Also lived in Indo during the Soeharto overthrow. 

And I did concede for a time on the Terasi... as long as it was made outside and stored in a sealed container when indoors for Her Majesty's consumption. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2014, 01:11:17 AM »
f uck me, this is one of the best threads that I haven't posted in.  had a lot of funny thoughts, but wanted to read through all this ish first.  now I forgot what I was going to write.  Just know that, in my head, ZFB dropped some epic jokes.

that said,

a nice pair of AE's can run $200-300.  excellent investment.
Beaver.
Chicos must be more of an S10 cat, haulin his single rider jet ski out to the reservoir to smoke reefer, grill and hang with hoopaloop.
If I'm gonna blow a bonus, it's not on roulette.  much better option to have a woman of the night throwin dice on the craps table.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2014, 05:02:48 AM »
Lived in Irian Jaya (2x), Jakarta (3x), Singapore (2x), and Beijing.  Have travelled everywhere in India, China, S.E. Asia.  Missing only Brunei and Cambodia from my S.E. Asia country list.  Also lived in Indo during the Soeharto overthrow. 

And I did concede for a time on the Terasi... as long as it was made outside and stored in a sealed container when indoors for Her Majesty's consumption. 

From where you lived I'm guessing you are in the earl bidness. My wife and I were some of the few Americans in Jakarta who weren't though I played for the Kuta Merah (Mobil Oil) baseball team. Since we were in Jakarta at the same time I'll bet we ran into each other or know some of the same folks through JIS, JYBA, the American Club, the Mercantile Club, Kemchicks, Jaya Pub, etc...

Were you part of the mass exodus after the riots and the Rupiah crash? I was actually busier after Bapak Harto got shown the door as I was GE Caps guy on the IMF workout group. We snapped up a lot of distressed assets and helped World Bank privatize a lot of First Family holdings. Soeharto, Tommy, and Bambang together owned or controlled almost half of the wealth while their cronies owned the other half.

Jakarta was like the wild west. The only rules was your own ethical code. I remember when I was first in Jakarta I would dutifully queue up at Immigrasi at Soekarno Hatta like a good citizen. After a while I noticed that bule I knew were using the Diplomat counter. When I asked how they could do that they said you just needed to have 10,000 Rp in your passport as you handed it to the Immigrasi guy.

What a difference from Singapore.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2014, 05:15:55 AM »
The signs in Singapore are great.  Litter or spit at your peril.  I recall a "No Trespassing" sign that had a pic of a guy with a semiautomatic weapon.  Decided not to climb that fence....

Other than the durian, Singapore has some awesome food.

I think this is the sign you saw. Damn thing is ubiquitous in Singapore

Death on call

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2014, 06:05:01 AM »
From where you lived I'm guessing you are in the earl bidness. My wife and I were some of the few Americans in Jakarta who weren't though I played for the Kuta Merah (Mobil Oil) baseball team. Since we were in Jakarta at the same time I'll bet we ran into each other or know some of the same folks through JIS, JYBA, the American Club, the Mercantile Club, Kemchicks, Jaya Pub, etc...

Mining not oil.  I was younger then, and not yet her majesty's subject, so it was more like Satu Lagi, Amigos, BATS and an occasional foray into Blok M.  Definitely a make your own rules environment.  I didn't play baseball/softball but many of my friends did.  Played pickup hoops at JIS with all the teachers plus the Nike and Reebok guys and at Senayan with the Kobatama guys, played squash and Tennis at ISCI and occasionally with the SODS at Kemang 25.  Also was in Jakarta Touch Rugby club.  Stayed on after the crisis, mining business never stopped.  The right side immigration lane is Rp 100,000 now, and the air con at Soekarno-Hatta that broke in 1999 still doesn't work. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2014, 11:09:07 AM »
f uck me, this is one of the best threads that I haven't posted in.  had a lot of funny thoughts, but wanted to read through all this ish first.  now I forgot what I was going to write.  Just know that, in my head, ZFB dropped some epic jokes.

that said,

a nice pair of AE's can run $200-300.  excellent investment.
Beaver.
Chicos must be more of an S10 cat, haulin his single rider jet ski out to the reservoir to smoke reefer, grill and hang with hoopaloop.
If I'm gonna blow a bonus, it's not on roulette.  much better option to have a woman of the night throwin dice on the craps table.

You may want to consult a croaker. Sounds like you're sufferin' from Half Heimers, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2014, 11:25:29 AM »
What is the Blue article referring to in the header?

There's tangents and then there's MUScoop tangents.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2014, 12:46:19 PM »
What is the Blue article referring to in the header?

There's tangents and then there's MUScoop tangents.

I believe it's about the moral decision to buy $600 shoes (or was it multiple pairs of shoes worth $600?  We never got that answer.)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2014, 12:47:27 PM »
Mining not oil.  I was younger then, and not yet her majesty's subject, so it was more like Satu Lagi, Amigos, BATS and an occasional foray into Blok M.  Definitely a make your own rules environment.  I didn't play baseball/softball but many of my friends did.  Played pickup hoops at JIS with all the teachers plus the Nike and Reebok guys and at Senayan with the Kobatama guys, played squash and Tennis at ISCI and occasionally with the SODS at Kemang 25.  Also was in Jakarta Touch Rugby club.  Stayed on after the crisis, mining business never stopped.  The right side immigration lane is Rp 100,000 now, and the air con at Soekarno-Hatta that broke in 1999 still doesn't work. 

A Freeport dude. I knew Tammy Rodriguez who ran the girls program for Jakarta Youth Baseball - her husband was with McMoRan though they got divorced after she took up with the SS for the Pribumi National Baseball Team. That was at the time of the riots so you may have heard that sordid tale.

I used to drink at Satu Lagi in the Kristal. We would hit that place after our games at the JIS fields. If our games were at Senayan we actually did patronize some of the seedier bars in Blok M, where a man could satisfy both his thirst and more base hungers should those appetites rear their ugly head. My team would belly up at Top Gun though I never much cared for Blok M mainly because you had to fend off a predatory mix of hookers, hawkers, hobos, and hey Joe's.  

We socialized with Mike and Kathy Sullivan - Mike ran the Reebok biz in Indonesia. Also knew Tony Nava through JYBA - Tony ran the Nike biz there. The SS on my baseball team was with Nike. You might know him as he always played basketball at JIS. His name is Tom and he played college ball at St Peters in NJ. He actually knew Bob Dukiet.

What was great about living in JKT is ease of access to some great weekend getaways. Friday noon my wife would call and say she booked us on a Garuda flight for Bali we'd be there in a few hours. We actually both kept a weekend bag in our offices for just such eventualities. We spent more time in Lombok, though, and in particular the Gilis which was the far better, more rustic beach experience.

I played squash at the Mercantile Club and often participated in those tournaments the British Council ran at the Hilton Compleks.  

We were involved in the Bre-X scandal though, like Freeport, in a positive way. After Bre-X announced the discovery of the world's largest gold mine ever on Kalimantan their stock went from under a nickel to almost $300/share on the TSE. Overnight they were worth more than many Fortune 100 companies. And at the center of the PR campaign and financial shakedown was Bapak Harto.

A Bre-X team from Calgary approached us about getting our infrastructure fund involved but after some due diligence we came away very skeptical. A few months later the Filipino geologist "committed suicide" by jumping from a helo and Freeport backed out of the deal, announcing that the samples were manufactured.

You couldn't make up a story like that but in Jakarta that was an example of business as usual. Imagine an American Head of State shaking down foreign companies, insisting they each pony up millions into First Family companies set up to support a fraudulent enterprise. What I admired about GE is that we always stuck to our guns on ethical issues (which is also legal with FCPA) and we had no problem standing up on the basis of principle.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2014, 01:59:46 PM »
her majesty's subject

Since your wife cooks with balacan I am guessing she is Indonesian. That reminded me of a story involving one of my Brit colleagues who was marrying a beautiful Pribumi gal. Eka is from a fine family and her father is the Maharajah of Semerang who, naturally, expected the groom would convert to their Islamic faith.

My friend was raised C of E but had no problem "converting." But the process is rather involved and, because the bride's father is a prominent Rajah, the imams were taking the saving of Tim's mortal infidel soul rather seriously. As part of the conversion they needed to inspect his Johnson to ensure there was no offending foreskin. My colleague, like all Brits, was completely intact as the Lord intended so the Imam began to inquire about Tim's availability for scheduling the snipping as soon as possible.

Tim said the world began to swirl about him as he realized they were seriously going to put his 32 year old member under the knife in a primitive hacking ceremony that lacked the basic hygiene and dignity of an actual hospital. He actually thought of bailing on the whole deal because of this requirement but doing so would bring down the full wrath of the Indonesian establishment on his insensitive bule head.

Ultimately, Tim realized that this was Indonesia and that there were certainly work arounds available to an enterprising Englishman. In the end, an honorarium for the Imam's sekolah was arranged, a symbolic khitan ceremony was held where our hero promised to remain clean and control all of his baser urges, and the Imam certified the groom, still fully intact, as fit for Islamic betrothal.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2014, 10:07:30 AM »
So what are your thoughts on Durian?  It's the one food I've ever tried that made me gag the moment I took a bite.

Saw this during my morning read of the BBC

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-27615446

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2014, 10:59:01 AM »
Somehow, I missed the Durian part of this thread.  I took photos of it in a Chinese supermarket on my first visit as it was like nothing I had never seen before.  A couple years later my friend from Singapore explained what it was and how most Asian hotels banned guests from bringing in the fruit because the horrible smell.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2014, 07:00:34 PM »
Somehow, I missed the Durian part of this thread.  I took photos of it in a Chinese supermarket on my first visit as it was like nothing I had never seen before.  A couple years later my friend from Singapore explained what it was and how most Asian hotels banned guests from bringing in the fruit because the horrible smell.

We used to take long weekends at Desaru in Malaysia. To get there you first drive through miles of Rubber Plantation then fruit farms. It was great because you could get pineapples, rambutan, papaya, mango, mangosteen right off the tree for just pennies.

During certain parts of the year they harvest the durian which is overloaded onto 1940s vintage trucks left by the Imperial Japanese Army. These things barely make 30 k/h but you can smell them long before you overtake them. 

I had a convertible in Singapore and once I suggested we take that to Desaru but my wife immediately said no, reminding me it was durian season. We would have reeked of sulphur for a week had we driven back in an open cockpit.

Death on call