[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bourbon  (Read 62313 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2020, 01:42:12 PM »
Four Roses Yellow Label is always among the bargain priced bourbons with the highest ratings. It works fine in something like a boulevardier but doesn’t really hold up in an old fashioned which is all about the bourbon. The small batch and single barrel are both excellent and still affordable. I also really like Elijah Craig small batch which is also affordable.

How does it do in a whiskey sour?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2020, 02:33:07 PM »
Has anyone tried Trader Joe's and Kirkland brands? Looking for a decent but cost effective bourbon/American Whiskey for cocktail making.

Kirkland is good for that. Surprisingly good and good value. Their liquor and wine is solid and generally well reviewed.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2020, 03:41:31 PM »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2020, 04:02:06 PM »
How does it do in a whiskey sour?
Can’t say that I’ve had it in that cocktail. Sorry.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2020, 04:31:56 PM »
I’ve been wanting to try Russell’s. I never thought I’d want to try anything Wild Turkey after experience with the original but Rare Breed was tasty,

Wild Turkey 101 is a great daily deal sipper. Especially with all the stupidity around Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2020, 04:42:58 PM »
Wild Turkey 101 is a great daily deal sipper. Especially with all the stupidity around Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare.

As someone in the biz, the stupidity around Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace pales in comparison to the stupidity around Old Fitzgerald and Ancient Age.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2020, 05:36:25 AM »
Anyone got a bead on Weller Antique?

I’ve got 5 bottles of Weller Special Reserve, and want to pair one with Antique for a Poor Man’s Pappy.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #132 on: September 29, 2020, 02:35:46 PM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Chili

• All American
« Reply #133 on: September 29, 2020, 04:05:33 PM »
Anyone got a bead on Weller Antique?

I’ve got 5 bottles of Weller Special Reserve, and want to pair one with Antique for a Poor Man’s Pappy.

Poor Man's Pappy is Weller 12 and OA not SR & OA.

I have a few bottles. It's good but there are better on the market which you can find. Also, BT Antique Collection is far better than any Pappy. WLW is better than any Pappy.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2020, 11:30:42 AM »
A Total Wine recently opened by me.  My neighbor and I got in line at 8:40am for the 9:00am opening.  We were 9th and 10th in line.  By 9am they were 50 people.  When they opened the doors everyone beelined to the Bourbon section where 6 bottles of Blanton's were waiting. 

There was also some Eagle Rare and New Riff as consolations prizes.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2020, 12:03:01 PM »
A Total Wine recently opened by me.  My neighbor and I got in line at 8:40am for the 9:00am opening.  We were 9th and 10th in line.  By 9am they were 50 people.  When they opened the doors everyone beelined to the Bourbon section where 6 bottles of Blanton's were waiting. 

The total wine by me has a very small bourbon section.   Was pretty disappointed.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2020, 12:38:17 PM »
The total wine by me has a very small bourbon section.   Was pretty disappointed.

Total Wine is a complete racket.  If they try hand selling you a bourbon you’ve never heard of, I can guarantee you it’s a private label made exclusively for them and marked up 35-40%.  It stinks because they get more allocated items than most retailers
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2020, 12:40:48 PM »
Total Wine is a complete racket.  If they try hand selling you a bourbon you’ve never heard of, I can guarantee you it’s a private label made exclusively for them and marked up 35-40%.  It stinks because they get more allocated items than most retailers

I popped into the Bayshore one and was disappointed, honestly. Won't be rushing back.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #138 on: September 30, 2020, 12:49:35 PM »

Yeah, I've had their sales people try and convince me that their Two Star is the equivalent of a $60 bottle.  It's not, it's terrible.

I was pretty disappointed in how small the beer cooler was.  Their wine selection is meh (I'm mostly Italian reds).  Their bourbon selection seems on par with Otto's.  The best thing I have found there is ability to by beers by the bottle.  But how often do you want to do that?   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2020, 01:06:55 PM »
Yeah, I've had their sales people try and convince me that their Two Star is the equivalent of a $60 bottle.  It's not, it's terrible.

I was pretty disappointed in how small the beer cooler was.  Their wine selection is meh (I'm mostly Italian reds).  Their bourbon selection seems on par with Otto's.  The best thing I have found there is ability to by beers by the bottle.  But how often do you want to do that?

They get paid partly on commission

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2020, 01:50:56 PM »

Woodman's will always have a better liquor department, IMO.  Steve's is okay...

I assume you're a westsider.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2020, 02:10:14 PM »
I popped into the Bayshore one and was disappointed, honestly. Won't be rushing back.

Sorry to veer a bit off topic but how was the beer selection? I heard it’s better than your average grocery store, but not at a Discount Liquor level. I’m guessing far below Binny’s.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2020, 02:31:18 PM »
Sorry to veer a bit off topic but how was the beer selection? I heard it’s better than your average grocery store, but not at a Discount Liquor level. I’m guessing far below Binny’s.

I only have gone to TW in Greenfield but the beer selection there is a far cry from Discount Liquor's.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2020, 02:48:50 PM »
Woodman's will always have a better liquor department, IMO.  Steve's is okay...

I assume you're a westsider.

No, i just hang out at west towne.

Steve's had a better bourbon selection than total wine, imo.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2020, 08:45:25 PM »

Underwhelming. Would rank it well behind Ray's/Discount, and a little behind Woodman's.

It's a small store, but I've had great luck at Avenue Liquor on Howell.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #145 on: October 01, 2020, 05:15:36 PM »

Blantons??? jesus h christ the world has gone mad. this buffalo trace circle jerk is outta control.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #146 on: October 01, 2020, 07:44:57 PM »
Anyone try Makers Mark 2020 Limited Release?

Costco had it...one per customer. A little skeptical if Costco has it.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #147 on: October 01, 2020, 10:14:16 PM »

Don’t be skeptical of Costco having something.

As for the Makers, it’s gets sone excellent reviews.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2020, 06:36:44 AM »

I thought it was pretty tasty

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2021, 11:03:45 PM »
Bump...anyone finding anything tasty in Milwaukee area?  Also starting to travel again for work and cover the entire state of Illinois so any leads on where to stop to find some gems would be appreciated.  Just opened a bottle of Colonel EH Taylor small batch, pretty damn good.

feedback