collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by mugrad_89
[Today at 04:13:05 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 04:10:59 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 04:09:09 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Zog from Margo
[Today at 03:48:28 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bourbon  (Read 62629 times)

Archies Bat

• All American
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2019, 06:00:02 PM »
I had a Michter's Rye Manhattan today with a grapefruit bitters.  It was the smoothest Manhattan I ever had, and I have had several over the years.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2019, 08:05:48 PM »
Finally got a bottle. It's pretty ******** good.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:08:14 PM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2019, 09:31:18 AM »
Just got invited to Wiskyfest in Chicago this weekend. Have always been more of a wine guy, but have been enjoying more bourbons/wiskys recently, i.e.. Angel's Envy, Woodford's Reserve. Anyone with experience at this event? Any recs or plan of attack appreciated. I've been to a few Shanken wine events, but this is new territory for me.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2019, 02:02:09 PM »
Just got invited to Wiskyfest in Chicago this weekend. Have always been more of a wine guy, but have been enjoying more bourbons/wiskys recently, i.e.. Angel's Envy, Woodford's Reserve. Anyone with experience at this event? Any recs or plan of attack appreciated. I've been to a few Shanken wine events, but this is new territory for me.

Extremely jealous. I've always wanted to go. When I was at Groupon I tried selling them for the specific reason that I could get a ticket
Maigh Eo for Sam

Chili

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2019, 09:14:39 PM »

Buffalo Trace booth but there will be a big line. Pappy, EHT, Antique Collection - maybe Double Eagle Rare. Woooooweeee! Wild Turkey RR stuff is solid. Maybe Blaum Brothers from Galena. 4 Roses single barrel is fun since they do 2 yeasts and 4 mash builds. Just try as much as you can and don't drive. The Scotch guys bring the good stuff too.

For those who want to attend tomorrow night at Binny's Lincoln Park is their Whiskey Fest preview. $75 vs. $225 and they have a ton of good stuff since most of the reps are in town they don't mind showing up to another event. Insiders tip.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2019, 10:21:55 PM »
Buffalo Trace booth but there will be a big line. Pappy, EHT, Antique Collection - maybe Double Eagle Rare. Woooooweeee! Wild Turkey RR stuff is solid. Maybe Blaum Brothers from Galena. 4 Roses single barrel is fun since they do 2 yeasts and 4 mash builds. Just try as much as you can and don't drive. The Scotch guys bring the good stuff too.

For those who want to attend tomorrow night at Binny's Lincoln Park is their Whiskey Fest preview. $75 vs. $225 and they have a ton of good stuff since most of the reps are in town they don't mind showing up to another event. Insiders tip.
Exactly what I needed. Thanks, Chili. Excited to get to try the Bourbon County Stouts -- what's the difference btw the two?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2019, 11:02:40 PM »
Shameless plug for my friend whose start-up focuses on craft alcohol.

https://thecraftycask.com

Chili

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2019, 07:31:20 AM »
Exactly what I needed. Thanks, Chili. Excited to get to try the Bourbon County Stouts -- what's the difference btw the two?

OK, so I found the list on the website. This is what I would do. Now, I don't jack or squat about scotch but for bourbon - this is my idea. I put ****** next to ones I wouldn't miss. The more ***** the more I would seek it out. I don't know if you have VIP tix or not but I put that on here. I also gave you a description on the 2 BCBS beers. Have fun man. I am jealous.

- SiB
Blanton’s
Eagle Rare
- 17yr ****************
Elijah Craig
- BP ****
- 18 yr ******
- 23 yr *******
Four Roses
- SiB
George T. Stagg ***** (VIP)
Goose Island
- 2018 BCS – TYPICALLY Aged in 7-10 year Heaven Hill barrels
- 2018 Reserve BCS – Aged in 12 yr Elijah Craig Barrel Proof barrels
Heaven Hill 27 yr ***** (VIP)
Henry McKenna SiB
Hibiki

- 17yr (VIP)
High West
- AMND  (VIP)
Michter’s
- 10 Yr (VIP)
- Toasted Barrel  (VIP)
Nikka
- From the Barrel ****
Old Forester
Old Rip Van Winkle
- 10yr ***
- 12yr ***
Pappy
- 15yr *****
- 20yr *****
- 23yr (VIP) *******
Sazerac
- 18yr *****
- Straight Rye
Stagg Jr. ***
Taylor Small Batch
Thomas Handy Rye*****
Weller
- 12yr******
- CYPB*****
Whistle Pig
- 12yr
- New Release
- Boss Hog V***** (VIP)
William Larue Weller ************************************

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2019, 05:18:16 PM »
OK, so I found the list on the website. This is what I would do. Now, I don't jack or squat about scotch but for bourbon - this is my idea. I put ****** next to ones I wouldn't miss. The more ***** the more I would seek it out. I don't know if you have VIP tix or not but I put that on here. I also gave you a description on the 2 BCBS beers. Have fun man. I am jealous.

I survived, and thankfully had a few experts in the group as well.

Kept going back to the BCS about every half hour, really enjoyed the regular version.

My favs were the Pappy 20 yr., Eagle Rare, Hibiki, Michter's, Redbreast and William Laura Weller.  My number one would the Nikka from the Barrel. Awesome night, but man do you have to pace yourself.

One of the more interesting booths was the Bowmore. Their line-up was decent, I didn't love any, but at the end of the tasting, they gave you an oyster, where you drank the brine, ate the oyster and then they filled your shell with 12 yr. It was actually quite good (went through a few times). Food spread for the event was pretty nice as well. Might have to make this an annual trek. Thanks for the guidance, Chili.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2019, 02:54:25 PM »
Scored some Weller Special Reserve at Binny’s today. I’m three for three at this Binnys in 2019.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2019, 06:16:39 PM »
Was able to pick this up on my recent trip to Kyoto. It's drinking real nice.

image upload

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2019, 10:00:08 AM »
Jap whiskey is quite nice.

Found Pappy 23. Over $220 per serving.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 10:02:10 AM by real chili 83 »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2019, 08:24:52 AM »
Was able to pick this up on my recent trip to Kyoto. It's drinking real nice.

image upload

Great whiskey though you can find it in the states pretty easy. The yamizaki is the one to bring back.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Chili

• All American
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2019, 09:45:07 AM »
Great whiskey though you can find it in the states pretty easy. The yamizaki is the one to bring back.

You can find age statement Hibiki in the states? This isn't Harmony but 21 year aged. They stopped making age statement whisky's a few years back. If you can find them on the shelf buy them all and don't tell anyone. I found this for under $500 USD so I jumped on it. Most sites you see it sold in the US for about $800+. Trade value is about $850 so I have heard. I thought about the Hibiki 30 but that was about $2700 USD and seemed a touch steep.

On my trip I was fortunate enough to try the Hibiki 30 as well as the Yamazaki 25, 18 & 12. I would take Hibiki over Yamazaki every time. It has a better drinking profile. I wish the Japanese would do some cask strength or at least higher proofed items but I realize that is tough with blends. I think that is the only thing from keeping Habiki's from being in my all time favorites. I prefer things in the 115-130 proof range.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2019, 10:05:12 AM »
You can find age statement Hibiki in the states? This isn't Harmony but 21 year aged. They stopped making age statement whisky's a few years back. If you can find them on the shelf buy them all and don't tell anyone. I found this for under $500 USD so I jumped on it. Most sites you see it sold in the US for about $800+. Trade value is about $850 so I have heard. I thought about the Hibiki 30 but that was about $2700 USD and seemed a touch steep.

On my trip I was fortunate enough to try the Hibiki 30 as well as the Yamazaki 25, 18 & 12. I would take Hibiki over Yamazaki every time. It has a better drinking profile. I wish the Japanese would do some cask strength or at least higher proofed items but I realize that is tough with blends. I think that is the only thing from keeping Habiki's from being in my all time favorites. I prefer things in the 115-130 proof range.

My bad I only saw hibiki and just assumed it was the standard bottle. That's one hell of a find
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2020, 11:23:36 AM »
Bringing this topic back from the dead... I purchased a bottle of Very Olde St. Nick 12 year Antique barrel bourbon yesterday.

Haven't cracked it yet, anyone had it before?  Thoughts?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2020, 12:11:03 PM »
Anyone had the Jefferson’s Reserve Ocean aged? A buddy and I killed a bottle off at a work event. Barrels are stored on the deck of a cargo ship for aging and they make multiple trips around the globe. It’s a gimmick but does result in a unique flavor due to the exposure to the salty sea air.

My wife and I were planning a Scotch trip to the Highlands (especially Dufftown for Balvenie) but that damn COVID. Maybe next year.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 12:12:37 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

StateStreetMission

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2020, 07:35:16 PM »
I don’t believe the salty sea air is the gimmick.
The motion of the ocean is the gimmick.
 It agitates the whiskey and changes the aging dynamics with the wood.
I haven’t tried it, but can believe it does produce a difference.

Exposure to air  causes oxidative changes that are detrimental to the flavor profile.
A half filled whiskey bottle sitting on you bar shelf will change over time, whereas an unopened bottle will show no changes for a very, very long time.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2020, 08:22:41 PM »
I don’t believe the salty sea air is the gimmick.
The motion of the ocean is the gimmick.
 It agitates the whiskey and changes the aging dynamics with the wood.
I haven’t tried it, but can believe it does produce a difference.

Exposure to air  causes oxidative changes that are detrimental to the flavor profile.
A half filled whiskey bottle sitting on you bar shelf will change over time, whereas an unopened bottle will show no changes for a very, very long time.

That too. It speeds up the aging process. However, the sea air does give ita subtle briney flavor.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2020, 07:18:22 AM »
Got introduced recently to Russell’s 10 year and single barrel.  Both worth repeating. 

Also had Noah’s Mill.   Really good. At 114 proof, the first sip is a lot of fun.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2020, 05:10:37 PM »
Big fan of Noah’s Mill. Also in that same price range I have really enjoyed Rabbit Hole and a little more expensive HillRock.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2020, 11:49:38 PM »
Got introduced recently to Russell’s 10 year and single barrel.  Both worth repeating. 

Also had Noah’s Mill.   Really good. At 114 proof, the first sip is a lot of fun.

I’ve been wanting to try Russell’s. I never thought I’d want to try anything Wild Turkey after experience with the original but Rare Breed was tasty,

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2020, 12:44:36 PM »

Try the Old Grandad 114, really good buy @ $25. Been fortunate lately getting bottles of Sazerac almost regularly @ Discount.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2020, 12:48:52 PM »
Has anyone tried Trader Joe's and Kirkland brands? Looking for a decent but cost effective bourbon/American Whiskey for cocktail making.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2020, 01:41:17 PM »
Has anyone tried Trader Joe's and Kirkland brands? Looking for a decent but cost effective bourbon/American Whiskey for cocktail making.
Four Roses Yellow Label is always among the bargain priced bourbons with the highest ratings. It works fine in something like a boulevardier but doesn’t really hold up in an old fashioned which is all about the bourbon. The small batch and single barrel are both excellent and still affordable. I also really like Elijah Craig small batch which is also affordable.

feedback