collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bourbon  (Read 62775 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2014, 10:45:35 AM »
I went to Buffalo Trace last week. Stuck my hand in some mash - you guys will be drinking it soon. Enjoy.

At least it was just your hand.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2014, 11:04:26 AM »
I went to Buffalo Trace last week. Stuck my hand in some mash - you guys will be drinking it soon. Enjoy.

How was it?  They're off the official "Bourbon Trail" right?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2014, 09:25:03 AM »
Just bought a bottle of Jefferson Reserve on a whim.  Might crack it tomorrow.  Anyone try it yet?

Tasted good.  Disappointed that it was a blend.

Had some John Bowman last night.  Distilled in Virginia.  Nice.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2018, 09:29:40 PM »
Local saloon is serving Weller right now. Story goes that Pappy is a blend of two different varieties of Weller.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2018, 10:19:32 PM »
I just re-read this thread from 4 years ago.  Lots of good stuff.

Many Manhattan fans here. I've posted before on this, barrel aged manhattans are incredible.  I got turned on to them at the Lake Elmo Inn.  They feature four different ones. Emerald Manhattan, the Mystery Manhattan, the Maple Manhattan, and a Holiday Manhattan. All are 60 day aged in charred barrels, and just wonderful.

I bought a barrel recently.  Great investment. I made a batch for a friend...he ended up buying 3 10 liter barrels.....a bit of overkill in my opinion, but he was hooked. 

Barel aging is really easy..mix...and age. Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 10:31:15 PM by real chili 83 »

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2018, 08:26:17 PM »
Haven’t seen Elmer T Lee in the NYC area in 4/5 years unfortunately, but it used to be very common.  Another Buffalo Trace product, Old Weller Antique 107 is spectacular if you can find it but is only released a couple of times a year and allocated to stores on an extremely limited basis to such an extent that most bottles are accounted for by the store’s best customers before they’re even delivered.  I can understand that for Pappy where folks are paying upwards of $1000 a bottle, but Weller Antique is only about $40 so I don’t really understand why it’s become so rare.  This has only happened in the last 2-3 yers and like Elmer, Weller Antique used to be almost as ubiquitous as Jack.  Someone told me once that Weller Antique is Pappy before it’s Pappy  and that BT cut production of that brand substantially to age it more until it becomes Pappy which they sell for a substantially higher price.  No idea if that’s true or not but if it is that certainly makes sense because the more they use for OWA the less they have for Pappy.  Anyone have any insight on this?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2018, 08:32:17 PM »
Haven’t seen Elmer T Lee in the NYC area in 4/5 years unfortunately, but it used to be very common.  Another Buffalo Trace product, Old Weller Antique 107 is spectacular if you can find it but is only released a couple of times a year and allocated to stores on an extremely limited basis to such an extent that most bottles are accounted for by the store’s best customers before they’re even delivered.  I can understand that for Pappy where folks are paying upwards of $1000 a bottle, but Weller Antique is only about $40 so I don’t really understand why it’s become so rare.  This has only happened in the last 2-3 yers and like Elmer, Weller Antique used to be almost as ubiquitous as Jack.  Someone told me once that Weller Antique is Pappy before it’s Pappy  and that BT cut production of that brand substantially to age it more until it becomes Pappy which they sell for a substantially higher price.  No idea if that’s true or not but if it is that certainly makes sense because the more they use for OWA the less they have for Pappy.  Anyone have any insight on this?

I've heard something similar from a very distinguished barkeep who manages the liquor and wine for A 5 star joint regarding the relationship between Weller and Pappy.

You are on to something.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2018, 08:39:39 PM »
I've heard something similar from a very distinguished barkeep who manages the liquor and wine for A 5 star joint regarding the relationship between Weller and Pappy.

You are on to something.

They have the same mash bill. Weller is still easy to find in some markets. When I was in Dallas for the Cotton Bowl 3 years ago stopped into a liquor store and they had a huge display of Weller handles. You can also find a lot of Weller in STL sitting on shelves. They don't know what they got. Rubes.

Personally I try and target BTAC over Pappy - but to each their own.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2018, 11:17:12 AM »
Had Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style last night. 115 proof.  A little harsh on the finish for me.

Big fan of Weller Special Reserve.  The wheat takes the bite off. I'm more of an Irish Whiskey or Canadian fan myself.  My go to right now is Teeling Single Grain or Fourty Creek Double Barrel.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2018, 08:35:02 PM »
I "might" be getting my hands on a bottle of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2018.  Anyone try this yet?

Chili

• All American

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2018, 08:38:45 PM »
How does one go about finding pappy van winkle. I am looking to get a bottle for a client.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2018, 09:45:38 PM »
How does one go about finding pappy van winkle. I am looking to get a bottle for a client.

Buy on secondary market and be ready to bend over.

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2018, 09:53:22 PM »

My brother bought me this for xmas last year. It is so good!

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2018, 05:16:44 AM »
Buy on secondary market and be ready to bend over.

Any good recommendations of secondary websites?

Chili

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2018, 06:51:08 AM »
Any good recommendations of secondary websites?

what city do you live in? but craigslist or Facebook groups. There are 2 or 3 in Chicago. There are also a few national ones. For PVW23 your looking about $2,500 a bottle. For ORVW it's about $400. Lot B is $550ish.

If you want wheated whiskey you could always look for Weller too. Weller SR can be found on shelves. Same with AO or 12.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2018, 10:07:01 AM »
Angel’s Envy

Yippy Ki Yay

Enjoying both currently
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2018, 03:17:33 PM »
The Vogue Cocktail Bar, back in the day, across the street from the library, would feature Walkers Delux, and for a strange reason.  We used chrome plated pouring spouts and all the other brands would get corroded, but not Walkers.  The owner, Jack Levinski, claimed that was becsuse Walkers was pure.  Jack was in his 80's in the 60's and was a former Cicero speak easy proprietor.

On one of my many trips to Tullahoma Tennessee, home of Arnold AFB, I visited Lynchburg, TN, home of Jack Daniel's, it is well worth a visit if you are in the area.

BTW, the only Bourbon I see in Italy is Jack Daniels.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 03:29:07 PM by vogue65 »

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2018, 03:25:40 PM »
what city do you live in? but craigslist or Facebook groups. There are 2 or 3 in Chicago. There are also a few national ones. For PVW23 your looking about $2,500 a bottle. For ORVW it's about $400. Lot B is $550ish.

If you want wheated whiskey you could always look for Weller too. Weller SR can be found on shelves. Same with AO or 12.

Northern Chicago burbs

Chili

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2018, 05:34:21 AM »
Northern Chicago burbs

Here are 3 Facebook groups you can try.

Chicago Area:

Chicagoland Bourbon Exchange - CBE

National:

Bourbon Secondary Market - BSM
MegaFireBalls

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2018, 02:39:59 PM »
I picked up three bottles of Weller today at Binny’s. Had to ask for them. They had them “hidden” in the office.

Also picked up some special batch allotted Buffalo Trace too.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2018, 05:02:28 PM »
Here are 3 Facebook groups you can try.

Chicago Area:

Chicagoland Bourbon Exchange - CBE

National:

Bourbon Secondary Market - BSM
MegaFireBalls

Thank you

Chili

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2018, 07:55:32 AM »
I picked up three bottles of Weller today at Binny’s. Had to ask for them. They had them “hidden” in the office.

Also picked up some special batch allotted Buffalo Trace too.

Which Weller's? Which BT? Which Binny's?

I thank you in advance. I just got a bottle for Weller's Special Reserve & Old Antique (Vas Foremost pick). Great bourbon for money.

Also found a $31 bottle of Eagle Rare well at my inlaws in Flint. Outstanding value for that one. My only "problem" is when a I crack a bottle I end up drinking about a third of it each time.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2018, 08:44:19 AM »
Blantons is still my favorite.  Also a Buffalo Trace(sazarac) product.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2018, 09:47:02 AM »
Which Weller's? Which BT? Which Binny's?

I thank you in advance. I just got a bottle for Weller's Special Reserve & Old Antique (Vas Foremost pick). Great bourbon for money.

Also found a $31 bottle of Eagle Rare well at my inlaws in Flint. Outstanding value for that one. My only "problem" is when a I crack a bottle I end up drinking about a third of it each time.

Special Reserve. Was food the BT was an allocated batch. Nothing special about it on the label.

Willowbrook. Ran into an ‘87 alumn in the parking lot.