[Today at 11:50:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UWM is Dancing  (Read 16572 times)

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
Re: UWM is Dancing
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2014, 11:58:49 AM »
Sorry--got my MU tag names mixed up. MU03Eng tried this out previously.

Lol, I was going to ask if you had been drinking this morning  ;D

chapman

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2014, 12:28:17 PM »
What struck me about his love and allegiance for Derrick was during the Xavier game at home - Derrick made about 3 good plays in a row, perhaps 2 steals and converted them for baskets, Xavier calls timeout....and Buzz runs to Derrick and gives him this huge bear hug for about 5 seconds...obviously was happy for Derrick in that moment, and knows Derrick/and him have been criticized a lot this season...and it was almost a moment of "justification," that he was so eager to latch onto.  Yet, when Dawson led us to victory in Overtime at G'Town...didn't see Buzz running out to Dawson and giving him the same "love."  

This the same garbage that MUBuzz tried on me, 03.
He cannot get his head around the idea that Buzz hopes that Derrick will step up and be the game changer that Buzz misguidedly prays he will be/believes he is/wishes he will become. Nobody is accusing Buzz of deliberately trying to lose, but his blind loyalty to Derrick has cost us games. Many on this board cannot get their head around it--they come up with "Buzz believes that Derrick gives us the best chance to win"--in spite of the performance, record and losses piling up. And the excuse "We have nobody else".
Well, next year there will be plenty of options. The train has already left the station on Derrick. It is time to give the engineers seat to somebody else. We shall see what El Buzzo does. IMO he will continue to try to ride Derrick
What else would you expect from MU"Buzz" but to get somebody to subscribe to firing Buzz, so he can then jump on you for advocating that.

Let's not forget Buzz was set on taking Dawson out of the Georgetown game, but Derrick insisted otherwise.  Perhaps he will overrule Buzz again and demand a more fitting role for next year.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2014, 12:34:39 PM »
I remember one subject this late season -- Wisconsin won't make it to the NCAA Tourney. UWM has made
it the way the NCAA rules were made. Don't agree. But, where is MU--sucking hind T--! . Until lately the team was underachieving. Now it's to late. Probably will be a disappointing next year. Because of Young Team excuse. I hope we do sneak in. But it's unlikely. Hope Buzz learned something this season. Go MU! Liking Wisco
or not, the Badgers earned their way in. Big Ten was the toughest conference from top to bottom.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2014, 01:11:35 PM »
This the same garbage that MUBuzz tried on me, 03.
He cannot get his head around the idea that Buzz hopes that Derrick will step up and be the game changer that Buzz misguidedly prays he will be/believes he is/wishes he will become. Nobody is accusing Buzz of deliberately trying to lose, but his blind loyalty to Derrick has cost us games. Many on this board cannot get their head around it--they come up with "Buzz believes that Derrick gives us the best chance to win"--in spite of the performance, record and losses piling up. And the excuse "We have nobody else".
Well, next year there will be plenty of options. The train has already left the station on Derrick. It is time to give the engineers seat to somebody else. We shall see what El Buzzo does. IMO he will continue to try to ride Derrick
What else would you expect from MU"Buzz" but to get somebody to subscribe to firing Buzz, so he can then jump on you for advocating that.

I have Warrior on ignore so I only saw what you posted through Chapman.  You continue to ignore the whole point.  You and MUBuzz and Ners continue to claim the coach has blind loyalty to Derrick.  So this means he either can't or won't see the facts that are clear to you...Dawson is better than Derrick.  If he is willfully ignoring that Dawson is better, that results in losses, he should be fired.  If he is incapable of seeing Dawson is better, that is a major gap and would present itself other places and should be addressed quickly.  If he is doing it to "prove a point" or because he is "stubborn" he should be fired.

I'm not trying to get you to say he should be fired....I'm trying to get you guys to realize Buzz HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION than you, and while your opinions are ones worth discussing that are not facts.

In your opinion Dawson is better Derrick.  In my opinion he is not.  Apparently in Buzz's opinion Dawson is not better. (this year)

Next year, we don't know what Buzz will do.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2014, 01:14:00 PM »
YOu simply cannot fully judge a player's ability in games giving him 2-3 minute segments of run....and if he makes one mistake, yank him.  That does not inspire confidence for the player, nor does it allow a player the feeling of playing loose and not always looking over his shoulder at every buzzer/substitution...

Ners, you state this as fact, I guarantee you this is not fact for some/all players.  Again it can be the difference in philosophy but I don't want a player playing max minutes that can't prove in 2-3 minutes he's capable of playing.  That's a mental issue not a physical.  Get your mental right on the practice court so you don't have to be doing it on the competition court.

Again difference of philosophy, in no way a fact.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2014, 01:18:01 PM »
1)  Buzz loves Derrick
2)  Buzz loves Seniors

at PG - we will have Derrick who is a Senior - to expect Buzz to reduce his playing time next year is a complete leap of faith to go against everything that happened this year.

We may not even have the 4th best PG in the state to look forward to watching next year lead the team - who has made exactly one 3  pointer, shoots under 50% at free throws, is not skilled at feeding the post, does not score when he drives to the hoop and has his man sag off of him causing other team members to be less effective - BUT HE PLAYS GREAT DEFENSIVE (chimes in the slurpers)...

again, this is not Derrick's fault...  Buzz put him in this position and has extreme faith in him...

so yes, my enthusiasm for next year is already at a low...

We haven't even ended this season and you have already determined that next year will be bad and that it will have nothing to do with the players and only with some mythical belief that Buzz wants to win with his "way" only and if he doesn't that's fine he'll take losses?

Do you really believe this?  If so have you called for Buzz to be fired?  If not you should, and if you won't then you don't actually believe this.

Where does this stubborn narrative come from?  Just because in one season Buzz made moves you don't agree with so that means it's always going to happen?  This is the single most frustrating opinion on the board for me, and I want someone to explain it to me.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2014, 01:32:42 PM »
1)  Buzz loves Derrick
2)  Buzz loves Seniors

at PG - we will have Derrick who is a Senior - to expect Buzz to reduce his playing time next year is a complete leap of faith to go against everything that happened this year.

We may not even have the 4th best PG in the state to look forward to watching next year lead the team - who has made exactly one 3  pointer, shoots under 50% at free throws, is not skilled at feeding the post, does not score when he drives to the hoop and has his man sag off of him causing other team members to be less effective - BUT HE PLAYS GREAT DEFENSIVE (chimes in the slurpers)...

again, this is not Derrick's fault...  Buzz put him in this position and has extreme faith in him...

so yes, my enthusiasm for next year is already at a low...

My enthusiasm would be down next as well if that happens.  If Buzz plays Derrick next year(and he doesn't perform better than this year) and there is a better option, I think Buzz should be gone as he's clearly to inflexible to be successful.  If Buzz plays Derrick next year and there isn't a better option...than that's on Buzz's recruiting and we have a different issue and I would be very, very, very concerned.

So my lack of negativity is that I believe either Derrick will play better or Buzz will play a better option than Derrick next year (Duane Wilson in my opinion).

If I'm forecasting, senior or not, Derrick will get no more than 15 minutes in conference play next year...Duane specifically and maybe some Dawson will get the majority of the PG minutes in conference play next year.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2014, 01:39:08 PM »
Someone needs to ring up keefe so he can chime in on this backdoor thing and post pictures.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2014, 01:42:58 PM »
I have Warrior on ignore so I only saw what you posted through Chapman.  You continue to ignore the whole point.  You and MUBuzz and Ners continue to claim the coach has blind loyalty to Derrick.  So this means he either can't or won't see the facts that are clear to you...Dawson is better than Derrick.  If he is willfully ignoring that Dawson is better, that results in losses, he should be fired.  If he is incapable of seeing Dawson is better, that is a major gap and would present itself other places and should be addressed quickly.  If he is doing it to "prove a point" or because he is "stubborn" he should be fired.

I'm not trying to get you to say he should be fired....I'm trying to get you guys to realize Buzz HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION than you, and while your opinions are ones worth discussing that are not facts.

In your opinion Dawson is better Derrick.  In my opinion he is not.  Apparently in Buzz's opinion Dawson is not better. (this year)

I honestly think that he had his mind made up that he was hitching his wagon to Derrick for better or worse this season. Maybe it's subconsciously, but I have zero doubt in my mind that is what's going on this year. He started planting the seed last year that Derrick was his guy, when he repeatedly said he should be starting over Junior. His production doesn't equal the amount of minutes he receives. Dawson has looked pretty good in most of the games he plays and adds another element to the team that Derrick doesn't. Yet his minutes are few and far between. I could understand if we had a stud pg getting all the minutes, but we don't. This is why I think it is going to be more of the same next year. I hope it's not, as this year has been extremely frustrating.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2014, 03:08:04 PM »
Ners, you state this as fact, I guarantee you this is not fact for some/all players.  Again it can be the difference in philosophy but I don't want a player playing max minutes that can't prove in 2-3 minutes he's capable of playing.  That's a mental issue not a physical.  Get your mental right on the practice court so you don't have to be doing it on the competition court.

Again difference of philosophy, in no way a fact.

Most guys who have played basketball at just the high school level know it takes a little time to get into a flow, and to be judged on 2-3 minute segments of action is really tough.  My issues is that Buzz has given countless ENTIRE halves to Derrick and largely hasn't gotten good performance.  He's given him every single opportunity one could ever hope for to show progress, and that he merits such minutes, but 9 times out of 10 you can't honestly say Derrick's shown he's earned those minutes.

If we isolated Derrick's PT to 12 minutes a game, and roughly four, 2-3 minute segments - can you imagine how his numbers would look?  And that's saying he's getting those same 12 minutes EVERY game...not wildly inconsistent minutes from DNP's to 18 in a game.  My frustration is that Buzz has a double standard of sorts with some players - usually the distinction being upperclassmen versus underclassmen....there is a lot more rope/leash shown to the upperclassmen than underclassmen.  It's one thing if you are getting generally good performance from your upperclassmen...but come on..just look at last 5 games of the year for Derrick....how can anyone argue that all those minutes were earned...meanwhile Dawson's last 5 games numbers GREATLY exceeded Derrick...yet in 1/3rd of the time??
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2014, 03:19:09 PM »
Haven't read the thread at all. But how did this turn into a Derrick thread?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2014, 03:25:44 PM »

4 letters. It starts with an "N" and ends with "ers"

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2014, 03:29:23 PM »
Several posters, whom you probably have blocked, said they are not looking forward to next year.  Gave their reasons, Buzz, Derrick, etc.  The usual suspects came to the defense of Buzz and gave their rebuttal and here we are again.  Did you really need to ask?  It is the same progression every thread takes.  I could start a thread saying I hate Wisconsin winters and the only reason I live in the state is for Marquette basketball and family, and we would be at Buzz's love affair with Derrick and how it is ruining the program by page 2.  
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 03:30:57 PM by BenCat12 »

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2014, 03:30:08 PM »
Not entirely true.  This one is mostly on mu03eng.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2014, 03:46:48 PM »
I sure hope you are right, but not betting on it...   although I did bet MU would .500 or worse in conference after watching the non-conference train wreck back court and was right...

My enthusiasm would be down next as well if that happens.  If Buzz plays Derrick next year(and he doesn't perform better than this year) and there is a better option, I think Buzz should be gone as he's clearly to inflexible to be successful.  If Buzz plays Derrick next year and there isn't a better option...than that's on Buzz's recruiting and we have a different issue and I would be very, very, very concerned.

So my lack of negativity is that I believe either Derrick will play better or Buzz will play a better option than Derrick next year (Duane Wilson in my opinion).

If I'm forecasting, senior or not, Derrick will get no more than 15 minutes in conference play next year...Duane specifically and maybe some Dawson will get the majority of the PG minutes in conference play next year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2014, 03:49:02 PM »
Several posters, whom you probably have blocked, said they are not looking forward to next year.  Gave their reasons, Buzz, Derrick, etc.  The usual suspects came to the defense of Buzz and gave their rebuttal and here we are again.  Did you really need to ask?  It is the same progression every thread takes.  I could start a thread saying I hate Wisconsin winters and the only reason I live in the state is for Marquette basketball and family, and we would be at Buzz's love affair with Derrick and how it is ruining the program by page 2.  

I have only actually blocked one user, Dreadman. He is a useless troll. I don't block people with legitimate information just because they disagree with me. I just literally didn't read the whole thread because I didn't feel like reading 4 pages on UWM. Was surprised when even a thread about another school could turn into a Derrick thread.
TAMU

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2014, 03:53:23 PM »
I have only actually blocked one user, Dreadman. He is a useless troll. I don't block people with legitimate information just because they disagree with me. I just literally didn't read the whole thread because I didn't feel like reading 4 pages on UWM. Was surprised when even a thread about another school could turn into a Derrick thread.
Really?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2014, 03:54:04 PM »
Really?

In hind sight...probably shouldn't have been
TAMU

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2014, 04:11:19 PM »

Nice try...wasn't me who hijacked the thread...go back and re-read thread before you make yourself look foolish.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2014, 04:21:58 PM »
Not entirely true.  This one is mostly on mu03eng.

I turned it into a next year thread based on MUBuzz's Eeyoring about next year, from there it it devolved further to which I contributed.  I regret nothing  :D

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2014, 04:25:41 PM »
I turned it into a next year thread based on MUBuzz's Eeyoring about next year, from there it it devolved further to which I contributed.  I regret nothing  :D
Didn't say you regret it, but what did you expect to happen when you ask people why they aren't looking forward to next season?  This one isn't on Ners, for once.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2014, 04:27:53 PM »
Didn't say you regret it, but what did you expect to happen when you ask people why they aren't looking forward to next season?  This one isn't on Ners, for once.

I'm not the one complaining about what the thread turned into....I think it was enlightening and reconfirmed some of the things I was thinking all along and I'm content.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »

Well said mu03eng....it's been a fun discussion...and quite frankly without the PG debate, and Mayo's minutes debate, minutes for other freshman - Burton and JJJ....there just simply hasn't been a lot to talk/post about this season..

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2014, 05:23:20 PM »
Someone needs to ring up keefe so he can chime in on this backdoor thing and post pictures.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2014, 06:55:37 PM »

No shice, Sherlock, that Buzz has a different opinion than I do. I believe he is doing it because he is stubborn hoping against hope that his boy will produce. Well he hasn't so according to you, he should be fired.
You are right about one thing--he can't or won't see the facts, because of that stubbornness. He isn't going to play a Frosh in front of that stubbornness. I guess we need to agree to disagree. If he goes with Derrick next year at 30 plus, then there will be chicken feathers flying.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback