collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Volleyball Thread  (Read 233025 times)

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
Re: Volleyball Thread
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2014, 12:59:09 PM »
Yup, but could be a lot better if he'd grow a pair.  Has better physical tools than a guy like Micah Christensen, but Micah doesn't worry about the "Wow!" plays and instead sets a consistent ball.  Thus, he is the starting setter for the US Men's National Team while Shaw can cry to his HOF dad.

http://www.scvavolleyball.org/documents/JBC2011FinalStandings.pdf

See: 17s results.  We kicked the crap out of his Mountain View (MVVC) team in the Finals.  They'd take a timeout, the team would huddle up on the sideline, and he'd go sit on the bench with his towel and sulk with his head in his towel.  Whines about every call (or non call).  Could be a much better player if he'd just worry about what he can control and be solid.

Never said he was a better player than Christensen. Obviously Christensen is starting on the National team. Was posting photo in the context of Keefe's photos. Sorry to get you all riled up.
MU15

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2014, 03:30:32 PM »
Long Beach St @ Pepperdine tonight and Long Beach St @ USC on Saturday night, neither game televised though

I think for the LB ST Pepperdine game a webcast is available on the Pepperdine site. Not sure about the USC game
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:53:56 PM by melissasmooth »
MU15

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2014, 08:07:48 AM »
Pepperdine swept Long Beach State last night to move into second place in the conference. Big win.
MU15

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2014, 09:29:15 AM »
If anyone is interested in the results from the 15 Open division in the Mideast Qualifier this weekend, just hit me up.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2014, 09:32:06 AM »
Just keep updatin' Stanford so Smoothie is happy.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2014, 09:34:28 AM »
Just keep updatin' Stanford so Smoothie is happy.

MU15

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2014, 11:37:47 AM »
Big week in the MPSF last week with a lot of huge upsets that changed the standings around by quite a bit.

- UCLA loses to CSUN.  YIKES!  The Bruins are STRUGGLING and may miss the MPSF Tourney.
- LBSU is COLD as well, losing 3 in a row to drop down to a tie for 6-8 and only 1 game up on 9th place USC.  Could also miss the MPSF Tourney, but I believe they have the tiebreakers on a lot of teams.  They were in 2nd alone not long ago.
- Hawaii wins both their matches over BYU this weekend to move into a tie for 6-8.
- Stanford has been on a ROLL, winning 9 in a row to move up from I believe 9th place to 3rd.
- Irvine has gone on a little run here to move into a tie for 4-5.  They were on the outside looking in not long ago.

So what's left?
- UCLA plays at Cal Bap and vs. BYU.  Should go 1-1.
- Hawaii has 2 at Pepp.  When Hawaii is hot they are HOT.  Could go 2-0, could go 1-1, or could go 0-2.  Pepp is on a roll, having won 8 straight right now.
- LBSU has CSUN twice.  Should go 2-0.
- USC is done.  So they need help.  They will be big Pepperdine and CSUN fans this week.  Really have to hope for Pepp to help them out.

As far as the MPSF Playoffs go, if everything were to stay as they are today, Hawaii would play a 3rd match in a row at Pepperdine in the first round, UCLA would play at BYU the first round (I would've predicted that this match would've happened in the Finals, not Quarterfinals, at the start of the year), Stanford would host LBSU, and UCSB would host Irvine in the first round.  Crazy season in the MPSF.  Most of those matches could go either way.

As far as the future NCAA bids go, you'd have to think if Pepp can win their last 2 matches and finish in 2nd alone and then win their Quarterfinal match of the MPSF Tourney they would guarantee themselves 1 of the 2 at large bids.  BYU is getting a bid whether it's the Tourney champion or the at large bid.  If either Stanford or Irvine (especially since they are 2 time defending NCAA Champions) can get hot and make it to the Finals of the MPSF Tourney they put themselves in a nice place for the other at large bid.

Should be an interesting 2 weeks of volleyball out West.

Meanwhile, in the Midwest, Loyola continues to have 0 competition, with 21 straight match wins.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 11:55:19 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2014, 01:17:08 PM »
My financial adviser played for Pepperdine (won a national title in '92 and was an All American).  He's pretty high on the Waves chances right now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2014, 04:35:21 PM »
My financial adviser played for Pepperdine (won a national title in '92 and was an All American).  He's pretty high on the Waves chances right now.

That's awesome.  He played for an incredible coach.  They've definitely got a shot, but at the same time any of the top 9 teams can beat anybody out in the MPSF.  Will be fun to see how it plays out.  I'm rooting for the Waves to do well.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2014, 05:49:33 PM »
Slightly related, Marquette's women's club team won the national championship for the second year in a row.  I know it's not quite the same level as the D1 players, but still significant.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2014, 09:06:50 PM »
Right now I think Stanford and Pepperdine are the two best teams but the MPSF playoffs will be tough. Loyola has the advantage of playing in an easy conference and then playing at home in the final four. They will be hard to beat, just difficult to tell how good they actually are.
MU15

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2014, 12:31:44 AM »
Slightly related, Marquette's women's club team won the national championship for the second year in a row.  I know it's not quite the same level as the D1 players, but still significant.

Yup, which honestly kinda surprises me. Ive played with the girls club team before because I have a couple of friends on it and they werent anything spectacular.. But back2back national chapionships is damn impressive.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2014, 04:58:17 PM »
Had Hawaii won and UCLA lost last night UCLA would have MISSED the MPSF Playoffs.  Instead they won and moved all the way up to FIFTH.  Some interesting first round matchups in the MPSF.

# 8 Seed USC at # 1 Seed BYU

# 5 Seed UCLA at # 4 Seed UCSB

# 6 Seed UC Irvine at # 3 Seed Stanford

# 7 Seed Long Beach State at # 2 Seed Pepperdine.

BYU is COLD, losing 4 in a row going in.  Haven't seen any of the matches, but having clinched 1st early they may have been sitting some guys.  USC is so young they might be dumb enough to not feel any pressure going to a packed BYU gym.

Long Beach was in 2nd alone for a while and fell to 7th.  They're still dangerous but Pepp is hot right now.

Irvine lost Friday but other than that has been hot, but Stanford is also hot.  Irvine has a ton of experience being 2x defending National Champions.

UCLA vs. UCSB, not sure who wins that.  Not impressed with either team.  I feel like whoever wins the BYU vs. USC match wins the semifinals against this winner.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2014, 08:56:12 PM »
Had Hawaii won and UCLA lost last night UCLA would have MISSED the MPSF Playoffs.  Instead they won and moved all the way up to FIFTH.  Some interesting first round matchups in the MPSF.

BYU is COLD, losing 4 in a row going in.  Haven't seen any of the matches, but having clinched 1st early they may have been sitting some guys.  USC is so young they might be dumb enough to not feel any pressure going to a packed BYU gym.

Long Beach was in 2nd alone for a while and fell to 7th.  They're still dangerous but Pepp is hot right now.

Irvine lost Friday but other than that has been hot, but Stanford is also hot.  Irvine has a ton of experience being 2x defending National Champions.

UCLA vs. UCSB, not sure who wins that.  Not impressed with either team.  I feel like whoever wins the BYU vs. USC match wins the semifinals against this winner.

I think Stanford and Pepperdine are the two best teams right now. But all eight are so close together, should be fun to watch
MU15

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2014, 08:58:08 PM »
Quarterfinals all on Saturday, April 19; 7:00 PM Local Time

The only match that I can find televised is the USC-BYU which will be on the BYU network. So we get to see the obnoxious BYU fans and their notorious home cooking officiating. Though I understand that for the playoffs, the officials are pulled from a different pool.

Ill be rooting for USC even though I'm a UCLA fan when it comes to USC-UCLA.

MU15

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2014, 11:38:36 AM »
The Off the Block Volleyball blog has a MPSF and MIVA playoff bracket pool going on for anyone interested. The blog is a great place for volleyball info in general also.

http://www.offtheblockblog.com/2014/04/miva-mpsf-tournament-brackets-can-now-be-submitted-for-50-perfect-bracket-challenge/
MU15

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2014, 11:58:22 AM »
Just saw the end of the Pepperdine vs. Hawaii match. Man were there two brutal calls. I thought the ball crossed the plane on the overpass before the RS from Hawaii his it and that back set by the Middle for Pepperdine was a lift, or double contact or something.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2014, 12:41:45 PM »
Just saw the end of the Pepperdine vs. Hawaii match. Man were there two brutal calls. I thought the ball crossed the plane on the overpass before the RS from Hawaii his it and that back set by the Middle for Pepperdine was a lift, or double contact or something.

where did you see it?
MU15

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2014, 12:42:31 PM »
where did you see it?

They had some videos posted on Off The Block with the game summary.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2014, 12:47:35 PM »
They had some videos posted on Off The Block with the game summary.

thanks for the heads-up I missed that one
MU15

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2014, 12:53:21 PM »

Tough to tell on the overpass from that angle, would love to see slow motion on that. The back set defintely looked off. Tough two points for Hawaii to end their season.
MU15

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2014, 12:59:15 PM »
I wonder what the Pac-12 Network's contract is with the MPSF as far as covering the Pac-12 teams that are in the MPSF. I've seen them televise volleyball matches involving just Pac-12 teams and some Pac-12 vs MPSF non-Pac 12 teams. Weird that they would televise none of the quarterfinal matches. Instead they give us softball.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:32:12 PM by melissasmooth »
MU15

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2014, 04:16:53 PM »
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/mpsf/sports/m-volley/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/mvb-allmpsf.pdf

2 West Allis Lightning alums on All MPSF teams.  Conrad Kaminski has come a long, long ways.  His 16s year he was on North Shore 16-2s (their 1s team didn't even win a bid to Junior Nationals, they had to get an At Large bid), the next year he was our 3rd middle on Lightning 17s, and then his 18s year he won the starting middle spot on the Lightning 18s team that won the National Championship.  Now he's a sophomore and 2nd Team All MPSF, which might as well be 2nd Team All American.  Good for him.  Kid's a freaking genius too.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2014, 11:38:46 PM »
MPSF Quarterfinals:

- BYU absolutely SMOKES USC in 3.  Should seal an NCAA Tournament bid for them.

- Pepp is down 21-24 in set 2 and is down 0-1 in sets, and comes back to win set 2 26-24 with their MB serving/libero out.  Huge momentum swing, Pepp wins sets 3 and 4 to win in 4.  Should seal an NCAA Tournament bid for them.

- Stanford wins in 5 over UCI.  UCI was up 13-11 in set 5, loses 15-13.  Ends UCI's run of 2 straight NCAA Championships.

- UCSB beats UCLA in 5.  UCLA was up 2 sets to 1 and 14-8 in the 4th set and then lost 25-20.  In set 5 UCLA was up 8-7 and then gave up a 5 point run, losing 15-12 in the end.

Semifinals match up the 2 hottest teams in the MPSF with Stanford and Pepp having won 21 out of their last 22 matches combined.  Something's gotta give.  Match will be at BYU, so neither team will have any sort of home court advantage.  BYU should walk through UCSB to the Finals.  If that happens and Loyola wins the MIVA Tourney like they should, Stanford, BYU, and Pepp should get NCAA Tourney bids along with Erksine, Loyola, and whoever comes out of the EIVA (most likely Penn State, maybe Harvard).

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2014, 11:00:42 AM »
WOW! HUGE mistake by the NCAA in giving an at large bid to Lewis. You could've given it to any of 7 other MPSF teams over them. But they instead gave it to the #11 team in Lewis over the #3 or #s 5-10. They just basically said taking 2nd in the MIVA (Lewis) is worth more than taking 2nd in the MPSF (Pepperdine). That is brutally awful. For a sport looking to grow, this is a worst case scenario. Now the semifinals will be repeats of the MPSF and MIVA Tournament Finals. At least Loyola gets to sleep walk into the Finals. Watching both matches next to each other yesterday, I would've definitely put Loyola a distant 3rd to both MPSF Finalists, and Pepp was right up there with those 2. Clearly the NCAA doesn't want another all MPSF Finals, and 3 semifinalists from 1 conference. Also, they have to foot the bill for all teams. Makes it nice and cheap to send a team an hour away from the playing site than it does sending someone from SoCal.

Brutal.