[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Volleyball Thread  (Read 234785 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Volleyball Thread
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2014, 11:11:03 AM »
Pepperdine swept Long Beach State last night to move into second place in the conference. Big win.

My son will be attending Dunphy (Pepperdine's coach) Setters Camp this Summer.  Should be fun.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2014, 11:41:41 AM »
Nice, I may be working Marv's camp if I can work out the time off.

Can't find a better guy to learn from than Marv.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2014, 06:53:37 PM »
WOW! HUGE mistake by the NCAA in giving an at large bid to Lewis. You could've given it to any of 7 other MPSF teams over them. But they instead gave it to the #11 team in Lewis over the #3 or #s 5-10. They just basically said taking 2nd in the MIVA (Lewis) is worth more than taking 2nd in the MPSF (Pepperdine). That is brutally awful. For a sport looking to grow, this is a worst case scenario. Now the semifinals will be repeats of the MPSF and MIVA Tournament Finals. At least Loyola gets to sleep walk into the Finals. Watching both matches next to each other yesterday, I would've definitely put Loyola a distant 3rd to both MPSF Finalists, and Pepp was right up there with those 2. Clearly the NCAA doesn't want another all MPSF Finals, and 3 semifinalists from 1 conference. Also, they have to foot the bill for all teams. Makes it nice and cheap to send a team an hour away from the playing site than it does sending someone from SoCal.

Brutal.

The NCAA tourney setup is a farce. The MPSF is so much stronger than the other conferences. After watching the Loyola-Lewis and BYU-Stanford matches last night, if Loyola had to go through the rigors of a complete season in the MPSF I seriously doubt they would finish in the top four in the conference. I know they have the quality to beat top MPSF teams on any given night, but over the course of the season its another story. Lewis wouldn't make the top eight. Penn State wouldn't  make the top eight and Erskine would be a bottom feeder. I understand the NCAA trying to broaden the sport nationally but the tournament field is a joke. I hate BYU but I'll rooting for them to win it all if Stanford loses. I hope Loyola gets the crap beat out of them.

Saying that, I still think Loyola could win the two matches because of the home court advantage and take the NCAA title.
MU15

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2014, 07:16:04 PM »
The NCAA tourney setup is a farce. The MPSF is so much stronger than the other conferences. After watching the Loyola-Lewis and BYU-Stanford matches last night, if Loyola had to go through the rigors of a complete season in the MPSF I seriously doubt they would finish in the top four in the conference. I know they have the quality to beat top MPSF teams on any given night, but over the course of the season its another story. Lewis wouldn't make the top eight. Penn State wouldn't  make the top eight and Erskine would be a bottom feeder. I understand the NCAA trying to broaden the sport nationally but the tournament field is a joke. I hate BYU but I'll rooting for them to win it all if Stanford loses. I hope Loyola gets the crap beat out of them.

Saying that, I still think Loyola could win the two matches because of the home court advantage and take the NCAA title.

It would be interesting to see.  Loyola would definitely be a stronger team right now if they did face top competition every night like MPSF teams do, so they would be a more consistent team because they would be forced to be.  But I agree, I think they would've been right in the middle of the cluster of competitive teams in the MPSF and most likely on the outside looking in.  I suppose it doesn't really matter at this point.  Not something in their control and they did what they had to do to get the #1 seed, beat some of the MPSF teams that came out to play them and dominate some bad competition.

If I were an MPSF coach and saw that setup I would be absolutely beside myself.  Not only is Lewis getting an at large bid over Pepperdine the equivalent of giving Marquette an at large bid over Wisconsin this season (and that truly is not even an exaggeration, it is that bad of a decision), but they also made a cakewalk of a path for Loyola.  Penn State vs. Lewis to play them while Stanford vs. BYU is going to be the other semifinal?  Come on.  That is brutal.

What I would propose if I were an MPSF coach (regardless of what team, just knowing that in future years it could affect the team I coach like it did Pepperdine this year), I would propose that each conference votes on one coach to represent the conference and they have a vote to at the very least determine which 2 teams get at large bids, if not also to seed the Tournament.  And then I would have a neutral NCAA representative in the event that there were split decisions.  That way at least people who watch the game and understand the game are the main determinants of who makes it and not just some people who see numbers on a paper.  Of course Lewis is going to have a better record than a good MPSF team, the good MPSF team plays the absolute best competition every single night while Lewis plays Loyola and then...nobody good at all.  Just an embarrassment.

The NCAA can play the "growing the game," "equal representation" bullcrap all they want.  If they truly want to grow the game then they should be putting the best teams in the NCAA Tournament and showing everyone how exciting of a game volleyball can be.  What the NCAA is truly about is money and that is it.  They have to foot the bill to send these teams to Chicago.  Cheaper to give Lewis some gas money and say, "Enjoy your 90 minute drive" than to get Pepperdine to Chicago.  It also brings more fans for ticket sales.  Not as many people traveling from Malibu to watch Pepperdine as there will be Lewis fans going to Chicago.  Money, money, money.  Who care if you're taking an earned opportunity away from student-athletes to win a National Championship, right?

I thought the addition of an extra at large bid, as well as the auto bid for the Coastal Carolinas, would go a LONG way in promoting the game as an exciting, competitive game and grow some excitement.  I was very excited for the Thursday semifinal matchups and thought the best part about it all was that instead of having at least 1 below average team in the semifinals, and oftentimes 2 (East Coast and MIVA teams in typical years being below the level of the 2 MPSF teams that make it), there would now be at most 1 below par team and make at least 1 of the semifinals very, very competitive, and in a good year like this where Loyola can compete with some of the best teams in the MPSF, it would've made a great two matches.  Now I am not even planning on going down Thursday at all, even though that BYU vs. Stanford match should be really good, but we just saw that match yesterday (literally).  And now I probably won't go to the Finals because whoever wins that match, in my opinion, should win the Finals fairly easily.  Very anticlimactic.  Pepperdine could've won it all, while Lewis has literally 0 chance.  Awful, awful for the game of volleyball.  Completely messed up what should've been a very good thing.

As far as who I want to win, the only reason I wouldn't want Loyola is because that justifies the NCAA's decision to put Lewis in over Pepperdine.  Would be very cool for the guys I coached and for Midwest volleyball.  Stanford wouldn't be bad because they have a classy program.  BYU I wouldn't mind because Chris McGown, their coach, is a really, really good guy.  He was one of the coaches who has put on our coaching clinic 3 different years.  The other 3 teams aren't even worth mentioning, because it just won't happen.

Speaking of Chris being a good guy and the decision being awful over all, I posted this on Facebook..."Well, the NCAA could not have gotten it any more wrong. But that should come as a surprise to nobody."  The first person who liked it was Chris McGown.  You know if someone who is coaching in the NCAA Tournament is publicly liking that status there is something wrong, especially when it ultimately benefits his program, as it takes out one potential threat to win it all.

Definitely unfortunate for everyone in volleyball that isn't affiliated with the Lewis program.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 07:20:56 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2014, 07:21:45 PM »
It would be interesting to see.  Loyola would definitely be a stronger team right now if they did face top competition every night like MPSF teams do, so they would be a more consistent team because they would be forced to be.  But I agree, I think they would've been right in the middle of the cluster of competitive teams in the MPSF and most likely on the outside looking in.  I suppose it doesn't really matter at this point.  Not something in their control and they did what they had to do to get the #1 seed, beat some of the MPSF teams that came out to play them and dominate some bad competition.

If I were an MPSF coach and saw that setup I would be absolutely beside myself.  Not only is Lewis getting an at large bid over Pepperdine the equivalent of giving Marquette an at large bid over Wisconsin this season (and that truly is not even an exaggeration, it is that bad of a decision), but they also made a cakewalk of a path for Loyola.  Penn State vs. Lewis to play them while Stanford vs. BYU is going to be the other semifinal?  Come on.  That is brutal.

What I would propose if I were an MPSF coach (regardless of what team, just knowing that in future years it could affect the team I coach like it did Pepperdine this year), I would propose that each conference votes on one coach to represent the conference and they have a vote to at the very least determine which 2 teams get at large bids, if not also to seed the Tournament.  And then I would have a neutral NCAA representative in the event that there were split decisions.  That way at least people who watch the game and understand the game are the main determinants of who makes it and not just some people who see numbers on a paper.  Of course Lewis is going to have a better record than a good MPSF team, the good MPSF team plays the absolute best competition every single night while Lewis plays Loyola and then...nobody good at all.  Just an embarrassment.

The NCAA can play the "growing the game," "equal representation" bullcrap all they want.  If they truly want to grow the game then they should be putting the best teams in the NCAA Tournament and showing everyone how exciting of a game volleyball can be.  I thought the addition of an extra at large bid, as well as the auto bid for the Coastal Carolinas, would go a LONG way in promoting the game as an exciting, competitive game and grow some excitement.  I was very excited for the Thursday semifinal matchups and thought the best part about it all was that instead of having at least 1 below average team in the semifinals, and oftentimes 2 (East Coast and MIVA teams in typical years being below the level of the 2 MPSF teams that make it), there would now be at most 1 below par team and make at least 1 of the semifinals very, very competitive, and in a good year like this where Loyola can compete with some of the best teams in the MPSF, it would've made a great two matches.  Now I am not even planning on going down Thursday at all, even though that BYU vs. Stanford match should be really good, but we just saw that match yesterday (literally).  And now I probably won't go to the Finals because whoever wins that match, in my opinion, should win the Finals fairly easily.  Very anticlimactic.  Pepperdine could've won it all, while Lewis has literally 0 chance.  Awful, awful for the game of volleyball.  Completely messed up what should've been a very good thing.

As far as who I want to win, the only reason I wouldn't want Loyola is because that justifies the NCAA's decision to put Lewis in over Pepperdine.  Would be very cool for the guys I coached and for Midwest volleyball.  Stanford wouldn't be bad because they have a classy program.  BYU I wouldn't mind because Chris McGown, their coach, is a really, really good guy.  He was one of the coaches who has put on our coaching clinic 3 different years.  The other 3 teams aren't even worth mentioning, because it just won't happen.

Speaking of Chris being a good guy and the decision being awful over all, I posted this on Facebook..."Well, the NCAA could not have gotten it any more wrong. But that should come as a surprise to nobody."  The first person who liked it was Chris McGown.  You know if someone who is coaching in the NCAA Tournament is publicly liking that status there is something wrong, especially when it ultimately benefits his program, as it takes out one potential threat to win it all.

Definitely unfortunate for everyone in volleyball that isn't affiliated with the Lewis program.

Very well stated. Very frustrating for the sport.
MU15

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2014, 07:25:42 PM »
And my man, James Shaw, got injured last night. Hopefully nothing serious. He did return later in the match. Would be nice to see Stanford get payback against BYU on a neutral court
MU15

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2014, 07:37:44 PM »
The NCAA tourney setup is a farce. The MPSF is so much stronger than the other conferences. After watching the Loyola-Lewis and BYU-Stanford matches last night, if Loyola had to go through the rigors of a complete season in the MPSF I seriously doubt they would finish in the top four in the conference. I know they have the quality to beat top MPSF teams on any given night, but over the course of the season its another story. Lewis wouldn't make the top eight. Penn State wouldn't  make the top eight and Erskine would be a bottom feeder. I understand the NCAA trying to broaden the sport nationally but the tournament field is a joke. I hate BYU but I'll rooting for them to win it all if Stanford loses. I hope Loyola gets the crap beat out of them.

Yup, same issue was going on for college baseball for years.  That's how Maine and schools like that would make the college world series because they were one of the few legit programs in the NE, even though a bunch of west coast schools would destroy them.  That's how we feel out here for the Little League World Series.  My son was on an Orange County team and did well, made it to sectionals, but ultimately the Orange County team that won ended up winning the whole thing by beating Japan.  I would wager there were 3 to 5 Orange County teams alone that could have beaten the Eastern US champions and probably the northern champions, let alone other teams from throughout the state of California.  Just how it is...sucks, but that's how it is setup.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2014, 07:50:19 PM »
And my man, James Shaw, got injured last night. Hopefully nothing serious. He did return later in the match. Would be nice to see Stanford get payback against BYU on a neutral court

Maybe you could rub it and make it all better, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2014, 08:08:46 PM »

Just a floor burn and scrape.  He's fine.

BYU is very beatable away from home.  They were undefeated at home this year but lost like 6 out of 7 to end the regular season or something, all on the road.  If I was putting money on it, it would be on BYU.  But Stanford and Loyola have a chance.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2014, 08:17:39 PM »
Just a floor burn and scrape.  He's fine.

BYU is very beatable away from home.  They were undefeated at home this year but lost like 6 out of 7 to end the regular season or something, all on the road.  If I was putting money on it, it would be on BYU.  But Stanford and Loyola have a chance.

good :) glad it wasnt serious
MU15

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2014, 09:42:16 PM »
Stanford swept Erskine 25-14, 25-16, 25-16 in the NCAA tourney opener this evening at Loyola
MU15

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2014, 07:01:58 AM »
haha, Penn State beat Lewis 27-25, 19-25, 25-23, 25-19 in the second play-in game last night. So the semi-finals are Stanford-BYU and Penn State-Loyola.
MU15

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2014, 08:45:31 AM »
haha, Penn State beat Lewis 27-25, 19-25, 25-23, 25-19 in the second play-in game last night. So the semi-finals are Stanford-BYU and Penn State-Loyola.

Such an odd final 4. Not the 2 teams from out west that I would have predicted in the beginning of the year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2014, 01:08:32 PM »

Yup.  Thanks for the selection, NCAA.

Was at the matches last night.  If it wasn't at Loyola, I would be picking Penn State over Loyola.  They actually have a really solid lineup and run a nice little system.  Complete stud of an L1 (Sander is the only player that I have been more impressed with this year), L2 who passes nails and can terminate when he's 1-on-1, setter who runs a quick offense and puts the ball in a consistent spot, a giant middle, and a really solid libero.  Their 3 pin hitters are all built from the same mold type players, somewhat tall and lanky, jump well and are very quick off of the floor and with their armswings.  Explosive.  Both middles are good enough offensively to keep the other team's middle honest.  Big fan of the setter and libero.  They were able to dig some balls and turn defense into offense more than either team did in the MIVA Finals.  They serve pretty tough as well.  I was far more impressed with them than I thought I would be.  As far as their offensive system I wish they would use the BIC a bit more when their L1 is back row.  They set it a few times and he was able to terminate pretty consistently with it, and there were points in the match when he was in the back row that they were struggling to terminate balls while not setting him.  They could definitely incorporate that in their offense more often.  They will give Loyola a scare, that is for sure.

Not much to take away from the Erskine vs. Stanford match.  Erskine was outmatched plain and simple.  The good thing now is that their conference gets an autobid, so maybe some guys who aren't good enough to contribute on high level MPSF teams look to play in the Coastal Carolinas vs. a D3 school or riding pine in the MPSF.  I guess only time will tell on that one.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:10:06 PM by wadesworld »

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2014, 09:25:46 PM »
Yup.  Thanks for the selection, NCAA.

Was at the matches last night.  If it wasn't at Loyola, I would be picking Penn State over Loyola.  They actually have a really solid lineup and run a nice little system.  Complete stud of an L1 (Sander is the only player that I have been more impressed with this year), L2 who passes nails and can terminate when he's 1-on-1, setter who runs a quick offense and puts the ball in a consistent spot, a giant middle, and a really solid libero.  Their 3 pin hitters are all built from the same mold type players, somewhat tall and lanky, jump well and are very quick off of the floor and with their armswings.  Explosive.  Both middles are good enough offensively to keep the other team's middle honest.  Big fan of the setter and libero.  They were able to dig some balls and turn defense into offense more than either team did in the MIVA Finals.  They serve pretty tough as well.  I was far more impressed with them than I thought I would be.  As far as their offensive system I wish they would use the BIC a bit more when their L1 is back row.  They set it a few times and he was able to terminate pretty consistently with it, and there were points in the match when he was in the back row that they were struggling to terminate balls while not setting him.  They could definitely incorporate that in their offense more often.  They will give Loyola a scare, that is for sure.

Not much to take away from the Erskine vs. Stanford match.  Erskine was outmatched plain and simple.  The good thing now is that their conference gets an autobid, so maybe some guys who aren't good enough to contribute on high level MPSF teams look to play in the Coastal Carolinas vs. a D3 school or riding pine in the MPSF.  I guess only time will tell on that one.

how was the attendance for the two matches?
MU15

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2014, 09:44:09 PM »
how was the attendance for the two matches?

Awful.  Hah.  Definitely under 1,000.  So having Lewis instead of Pepp really didn't even help in that sense either.

Tomorrow I would assume they will sell out.  Loyola playing at home plus BYU travels REALLY well.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2014, 01:00:28 PM »
Riding my bike to the game tonight. I knew living a mile away from Loyolas campus would be useful eventually :P Go Ramblers.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2014, 01:13:04 PM »
Riding my bike to the game tonight. I knew living a mile away from Loyolas campus would be useful eventually :P Go Ramblers.

Well it sure will be quicker than driving.  Hate how crowded Chicago and its surrounding areas are.  The worst part isn't even the free (toll) ways, it's after you get off of them that takes forever.

At least one player I coached in club will be winning a National Championship, so it's a win-win for me (and lose-lose).  4th straight year that a player from our club will have won an NCAA Championship.

The one who plays on Stanford was able to get me tickets, so I will be the guy wearing grey in the sea of cardinal in their section.  Just hoping for a well played match.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2014, 01:15:16 PM »
Well it sure will be quicker than driving.  Hate how crowded Chicago and its surrounding areas are.  The worst part isn't even the free (toll) ways, it's after you get off of them that takes forever.

At least one player I coached in club will be winning a National Championship, so it's a win-win for me (and lose-lose).  4th straight year that a player from our club will have won an NCAA Championship.

The one who plays on Stanford was able to get me tickets, so I will be the guy wearing grey in the sea of cardinal in their section.  Just hoping for a well played match.

You mean you dont want to see 5 missed serves in a row?  Penn St. game was brutal. Hoping it was just nerves.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2014, 01:16:28 PM »
You mean you dont want to see 5 missed serves in a row?  Penn St. game was brutal. Hoping it was just nerves.

Haha only got to see the last 1 1/2 sets of that match, and watched PSU's stud make 3 straight hitting errors to end the match.  Brutal.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2014, 07:27:28 PM »
Loyola is playing incredibly well right now. Its incredible right now.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2014, 07:36:09 PM »
Loyola is playing incredibly well right now. Its incredible right now.

Nice to play for the title on your home court. Ho hum. Real title game was Stanford byu the other night
MU15

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2014, 07:40:30 PM »
Nice to play for the title on your home court. Ho hum. Real title game was Stanford byu the other night

Well Loyola did beat BYU earlier in the year. Still really early in the match but its not Loyolas fault. They won the games they were scheduled.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2014, 07:46:50 PM »
Well Loyola did beat BYU earlier in the year. Still really early in the match but its not Loyolas fault. They won the games they were scheduled.

Yeah I was a little harsh on Loyola. I just have problems with a team playing on their home court for the title. But ncaa volleyball has limited venue choices because they do need to make money. Also several of the Loyola players look like pricks.
MU15

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2014, 08:17:55 PM »
Yeah I was a little harsh on Loyola. I just have problems with a team playing on their home court for the title. But ncaa volleyball has limited venue choices because they do need to make money. Also several of the Loyola players look like pricks.

Hate to break it to you but a lot of high level volleyball players are pricks. The MU mens club team are pretty douchey.

feedback