[Today at 11:22:27 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Volleyball Thread  (Read 236128 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Volleyball Thread
« Reply #250 on: December 31, 2015, 06:47:33 AM »
Yup.  Smart career move.  Will be interesting to see how he does on the woman's side.  Obviously he wanted to stay in the area so limited options, but that'll be a tough place to have success.

It'll be very interesting to see how it works out.  Obviously, Davis can coach.  But coaching -- and recruiting -- in the women's game is different.  I suspect he'll do a nice job, but he's stepping into a very competitive conference and will be facing some of the game's best coaches night in and night out.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #251 on: December 31, 2015, 12:03:32 PM »
Also didn't realize Jaeshke left a year early to go pro. Tough to lose 2 outsides in one year. Especially when you don't expect to lose your all american.

Anyone know anything about Hulse? Wade, I know you know Hutz, has he said anything?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 12:51:48 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #252 on: December 31, 2015, 04:39:23 PM »
Also didn't realize Jaeshke left a year early to go pro. Tough to lose 2 outsides in one year. Especially when you don't expect to lose your all american.

Anyone know anything about Hulse? Wade, I know you know Hutz, has he said anything?

I have met Hulse.  He will be able to recruit, with ties to the West Coast (played at Pepperdine) and the Midwest (from Chicago I believe and obviously has been at Loyola).  Loyola's coaching staff has always done it differently from the West Coast schools, which can be a good thing and can be a bad thing.  Obviously, you can't argue with what they've done the past few years.  I don't think you'll see much in terms of changes in philosophies.  It will come down to whether or not players like Jaeshke can develop as much as they did the past few years.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #253 on: February 10, 2016, 03:46:47 PM »
Well, so far I'm 0-2 in getting my kids to go to Marquette.  But, my oldest daughter will be playing volleyball at Marquette...once each year.  I'm very excited that earlier this afternoon she verballed to Georgetown.  It'll be an interesting experience for me to root against Marquette, but I'll adjust (in volleyball only).

My apologies for the gratuitous proud parent post.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #254 on: February 10, 2016, 10:23:32 PM »
Well, so far I'm 0-2 in getting my kids to go to Marquette.  But, my oldest daughter will be playing volleyball at Marquette...once each year.  I'm very excited that earlier this afternoon she verballed to Georgetown.  It'll be an interesting experience for me to root against Marquette, but I'll adjust (in volleyball only).

Congrats! She chose the wrong Jesuit institution but that's okay. Sure it helps dad's pocket book at least. How's Georgetown looking? I think MU beat them all 8 times my 4 years there.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #255 on: February 11, 2016, 07:17:23 AM »
Congrats! She chose the wrong Jesuit institution but that's okay. Sure it helps dad's pocket book at least. How's Georgetown looking? I think MU beat them all 8 times my 4 years there.

Thank you.

She looked at Marquette, but she was "off-year" for them (i.e., their setters are even years).  Georgetown has some work to do, and obviously we're hoping that they're heading in the right direction and she can be a part of that.  They finished near the bottom of the Big East last year, but were very young (playing 1 senior; 1 junior; 1 sophomore transfer; and 8 frosh -- only two players returning from the previous year).  They had four freshman, a senior and a junior starting, and the libero also was a freshman.  They had the same record as the prior year when they had a much more experienced team.  We'll definitely be watching very closely this next year and really hope they make strides.  The conference was bunched up in the middle, so hopefully they can crack into that group.  Then, further strides into the conference tournament and -- hopefully -- the NCAAs.  That's a tough hill to climb.

Ultimately, volleyball wasn't her primary factor.  She had some other options (including another that is higher up in the BEast), but the combination of academics and volleyball at Georgetown was compelling.  And, added to the mix was the memory of visiting Georgetown with her older brother when she was 14 and telling me, "Someday I'm going to play volleyball here."  After a lot of hard work, yesterday she saw her dream come true.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:18:57 AM by StillAWarrior »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #256 on: February 11, 2016, 08:07:41 AM »

Hey, it's not too late!  She could always pull a Vander...
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #257 on: February 11, 2016, 09:25:01 AM »
Hey, it's not too late!  She could always pull a Vander...

LOL.  I'm not sure I see that happening.  For starters, someone would have to get "Creaned," "Buzz Cut," etc.  After being involved in this process for the last couple years, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  Second, as the process wore on, she developed some very specific geographical preferences that narrowed things down pretty much to DC, NYC, Philly and Boston.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #258 on: February 11, 2016, 12:19:09 PM »

Congrats!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #259 on: February 26, 2016, 07:02:23 AM »
One of the Marquette coaches (either Theis or Hinterstocker) was at my daughter's club in Cleveland last night watching the 16s and 17s.  Absolutely no idea who he was there to see.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #260 on: March 19, 2016, 01:05:32 AM »

Proud papa tonight.

My son served 24 straight points as his high school varsity team won 25-1.  After trailing 1-0, the team sideout to tie 1-1. Then he started serving...24 straight points.  Set a school record and the coaches were submitting to California Interscholastic Federation to see if it is a regional or state record.  Whole thing captured on video.  Never seen anything like it.  First set was 25-17, so the second game was a complete surprise.  His team is ranked 9th in CIF Southern Section.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #261 on: March 19, 2016, 01:26:59 AM »
Proud papa tonight.

My son served 24 straight points as his high school varsity team won 25-1.  After trailing 1-0, the team sideout to tie 1-1. Then he started serving...24 straight points.  Set a school record and the coaches were submitting to California Interscholastic Federation to see if it is a regional or state record.  Whole thing captured on video.  Never seen anything like it.  First set was 25-17, so the second game was a complete surprise.  His team is ranked 9th in CIF Southern Section.

Link to the video? Curious to see if it's bad passing, bad attack or just great blocking/defense and obviously serving. PM me if you don't want it out in the open.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #262 on: March 19, 2016, 10:30:22 AM »
Link to the video? Curious to see if it's bad passing, bad attack or just great blocking/defense and obviously serving. PM me if you don't want it out in the open.

My son's coach has the video.  I'm heading out there now for day two of the tournament. He's going to give me the video, but to answer your question....a combination of aces, good defense, poor passing, etc.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #263 on: March 19, 2016, 11:32:55 AM »
Been there, JD. Nothin' better than seein' the younguns succeed on and off the playin' field, court, course, or ice. Congrats kin, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #264 on: March 20, 2016, 02:24:42 PM »
Been there, JD. Nothin' better than seein' the younguns succeed on and off the playin' field, court, course, or ice. Congrats kin, hey?

It was a lot of fun.  Came back down to earth yesterday.  His team was tied 25-25 and he was serving....service error and they lost 25-27.  He was bummed, to be sure.  Volleyball is his hobby sport, he's only been playing a few years where he excels as a soccer goalkeeper.  In a twisted bit of irony, however, he likes volleyball much more than soccer.  Fun times.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #265 on: March 20, 2016, 10:58:43 PM »
Proud papa tonight.

Congrats, Chico. That's awesome.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #266 on: March 21, 2016, 07:11:19 AM »
Proud papa tonight.

Nice.  Congrats!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #267 on: March 21, 2016, 07:31:55 AM »
Funny volleyball story (to me at least) with a bit of a Marquette tie-in. My daughter played in the Mideast Qualifier in Indianapolis this past weekend.  For those of you who have been to one of those, you know what it's like and the number of college coaches that are there.  It was thick with them -- hundreds.  One website that lists these things says 255 schools had coaches there, and most schools had several (and that site only lists those who buy/use their software).

Many of the coaches wear quarter-zips that have the school logo on them -- it's kind of the unofficial uniform.  On Saturday I was wearing a quarter-zip with my son's high school football logo.  I've noticed before that people glance at it out of the side of their eye to see where I'm from (just like I glance at the college coaches').  Invariably they appear slightly disappointed/annoyed when they realize I'm just some schmuck wearing a HS football pullover and not a college volleyball coach. 

Anyway...Saturday morning I was eating breakfast in the lounge at the hotel.  It was crowded and I was sitting alone.  Since there were no tables open, someone approached me and said, "Do you mind if we join you, Coach?"  I looked up and it was Bond Shymansky.  I didn't immediately process the "coach" part of the question, so I said "sure" and we introduced ourselves.  As soon as he walked away to get breakfast, I realized, "Oh crap...he thinks I'm a coach because of the shirt."  I heard him tell two women, "We're joining Rob over there."  They were coaches from Georgia State.  When they all came over and sat down, the two women from Georgia State asked who I was with and I said explained that I was a parent, and not a coach.  Bond asked, "do you have a daughter that plays?"  I said I did, and he said, "well then you're a coach."

So, due to NCAA regulations, we chatted about Marquette, the basketball tournament, college wresting, Dan Gable, etc.  He and the two Georgia State coaches couldn't have been more gracious because I'm sure they didn't want to sit with some player's dad -- that's why he asked to join me thinking I was a coach.  I'm sure it was a lot funnier to me than it was to them.

PS -  Proud papa moment for me too as my daughter's team punched their ticket for 17 Open at Nationals this summer.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 03:10:19 PM by StillAWarrior »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #268 on: March 21, 2016, 01:36:56 PM »
Bond was a good dude, his son would always sit with us in the student section for volleyball games.

I was thinking today how different the NCAA tourney is for basketball and volleyball. There's hardly any major upsets in volleyball. If you play a crappy set you can just forget about it and win the next 3 going away. Unfortunately that's how I kinda see the marquette program, good enough to make the tournament every year and win a game. But not good enough to knock off the seeded teams to make it to a S16 or further.

Anyways, my first game coaching is tomorrow and my number 1 outside is ineligible, my starting libero missed the last 3 practices because he was in canada so he's not playing, and my number 1 middle missed last practice without an excuse and has an attitude problem so he's benched as well. Wish me luck...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:40:16 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #269 on: March 22, 2016, 06:42:46 PM »
Adding another proud papa moment by linking to PrepVolleyball.com's latest tweet.  Thank goodness she favors her mother.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #270 on: March 22, 2016, 08:10:44 PM »
Anyways, my first game coaching is tomorrow and my number 1 outside is ineligible, my starting libero missed the last 3 practices because he was in canada so he's not playing, and my number 1 middle missed last practice without an excuse and has an attitude problem so he's benched as well. Wish me luck...

How'd it go?  Sounded like you had your work cut out for you.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #271 on: March 22, 2016, 08:17:35 PM »
How'd it go?  Sounded like you had your work cut out for you.

Not great. First game was dreadful, 2nd game was a little more competetive. I get my libero and middle, back for Thursdays match though.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #272 on: March 26, 2016, 06:18:53 PM »
I'm going to see #2 UCLA play at #4 Long Beach State tonight.  Should be a great match.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #273 on: March 26, 2016, 07:00:33 PM »
I'm going to see #2 UCLA play at #4 Long Beach State tonight.  Should be a great match.

That will be great. I'll be watching on my computer while watching the end of the Kansas/Nova game. Ma'a is a special, special player. Really unique system that UCLA runs with a true 6-2. Rarely see that in the college game. They pursue balls better than any college team I can remember. Need clean kills or the ball's coming back to your side against them.

LBSU is a bunch of clowns. Starts from the top and goes all the way down to the players. Also goes down to the club they run. But extremely talented freshmen on that team.

Really a shame that only 3 MPSF teams can go to the NCAA Tournament. The top 4 teams have clearly separated themselves from the rest of the pack in the MPSF and one of BYU, Stanford, UCLA, and LBSU won't make it. My guess is BYU and LBSU are safely in. Will come down to UCLA and Stanford, who still play at UCLA this year. The MPSF better hopes Ohio State doesn't get upset in the conference tournament or else they'll get an at large and the MPSF is down to 3 teams in.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #274 on: March 26, 2016, 07:31:03 PM »
That will be great. I'll be watching on my computer while watching the end of the Kansas/Nova game. Ma'a is a special, special player. Really unique system that UCLA runs with a true 6-2. Rarely see that in the college game. They pursue balls better than any college team I can remember. Need clean kills or the ball's coming back to your side against them.

LBSU is a bunch of clowns. Starts from the top and goes all the way down to the players. Also goes down to the club they run. But extremely talented freshmen on that team.

Really a shame that only 3 MPSF teams can go to the NCAA Tournament. The top 4 teams have clearly separated themselves from the rest of the pack in the MPSF and one of BYU, Stanford, UCLA, and LBSU won't make it. My guess is BYU and LBSU are safely in. Will come down to UCLA and Stanford, who still play at UCLA this year. The MPSF better hopes Ohio State doesn't get upset in the conference tournament or else they'll get an at large and the MPSF is down to 3 teams in.

I hate how the NCAA volleyball tournament is run, but it is what it is.

feedback