collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 586558 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1650 on: December 15, 2014, 07:57:22 PM »
The Bears make me sad.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #1651 on: December 15, 2014, 08:05:59 PM »
Harbaugh?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1652 on: December 15, 2014, 08:06:39 PM »
Harbaugh?

No way the McCaskeys hire Harbaugh. 

brandx

« Reply #1653 on: December 15, 2014, 09:33:05 PM »
The Bears make me sad.

It's nice to see losing teams play hard the last few games hard just based on pride.

Bear players have taken the opposite route. Very sad for the League.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1654 on: December 15, 2014, 09:36:48 PM »
It's nice to see losing teams play hard the last few games hard just based on pride.

Bear players have taken the opposite route. Very sad for the League.

The defense actually looks like they're trying. I think it's because of all the rookies on the field. But the offense? walking through it

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1655 on: December 15, 2014, 09:42:19 PM »
I need the Bears to tank one more game and then regain their self respect and dignity.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #1656 on: December 15, 2014, 10:22:33 PM »
As a cheesehead I hope cutler retires a bear. But seriously, imagine what kind of roster they could field if not paying jay $18mil a year

brandx

« Reply #1657 on: December 15, 2014, 10:23:25 PM »
I need the Bears to tank one more game and then regain their self respect and dignity.   

From the look of things, there's not much for you to worry about.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1658 on: December 15, 2014, 10:37:35 PM »
As a cheesehead I hope cutler retires a bear. But seriously, imagine what kind of roster they could field if not paying jay $18mil a year

People keep quoting what they're paying Jay. It was the right decision, for this team, at this time. It was market price. It's not an insult. And, it's not like they could suddenly field an all-pro team with Jay's contract since those players weren't available this offseason. And, further, none of it matters if coaching is the problem it seems to be.

But go ahead and keep looking silly.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1659 on: December 15, 2014, 10:39:20 PM »
People keep quoting what they're paying Jay. It was the right decision, for this team, at this time. It was market price. It's not an insult. And, it's not like they could suddenly field an all-pro team with Jay's contract since those players weren't available this offseason. And, further, none of it matters if coaching is the problem it seems to be.

This. People don't seem to realize the cap hit isn't that bad. Plus the defense is god awful and Trestman couldn't coach a pee-wee team.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #1660 on: December 15, 2014, 10:42:39 PM »

im just glad he'll be around next year for more interceptions

brandx

« Reply #1661 on: December 15, 2014, 10:52:47 PM »
This. People don't seem to realize the cap hit isn't that bad. Plus the defense is god awful and Trestman couldn't coach a pee-wee team.

No, an $18 mil cap hit for a good QB is not a bad deal.

Cutler is NOT a good QB.

And unless someone else wants him - very unlikely - he is gonna be a Bear for at least 2 more years. The cap hit is too big to cut him.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1662 on: December 16, 2014, 08:40:14 AM »

Yes but, in this case you can't separate the two. Cutler was signed to that contract because the great QB whisperer, trestman was going to be the one to finally get through to Jay. Jay was his guy, and the two are forever linked. Is that on Cutler? No it really isn't. Like the rest of this train wreck, it is on Phil and Phillips. Jay just isnt a good football player. Market rate or not, the bears gave a large contract to a bad football player. Of course they had a choice. Had they put a franchise tag on him, how  much of a better position would they be in right now when they really have to rebuild the entire team? Heck, would he have played better in a contract year (previous season seems to indicate he would have)? They already know they need a new QB, and have to find a way to get one (at least they should). If Jay was walking away, they would actually be in a better position, as they could go get one via draft or FA. No, I don't know who that is, but the fact is, they have to do it anyway, but would not have to worry about paying the other guy for another two years in the process of a complete rebuild.

It's why they should not fire trestman, unless Phil goes first. What good coach is going to want this job right now, knowing you are stuck with a crap GM, a bad QB, and an aging team for your first couple years? Firing trestman and staff doesn't get it done. A complete house cleaning from the top down is what is needed.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1663 on: December 16, 2014, 09:56:03 AM »
I think that's all a bit reactionary.  I'm done defending anyone on this team.  But clearly something went wrong somewhere this season.  Cutler isn't a "bad" football player.  He's an average NFL QB with an elite arm.  Go watch the Jets or the Texans or the Rams to see "bad" QBs.  Alot of very smart football people forecasted a great year for Cutler this year based on a variety of things.  Its not just some idiots with blinders on at Halas Hall.  But he's played like crap, in an offense that has sputtered all year long.  Trestman can't seem to figure out how to properly utilize one of the top 5 RBs in the league so I'm not shocked when a QB is struggling.  This offense has been listing for 6-7 weeks, before everyone gave up.

I did find it hilarious when Gruden spent 5 minutes blaming a lack of discipline on offense on Cutler's snap count.  Tons of OL penalties on a unit that is...hmmm, coached by Aaron Kromer. He "flat out" refused to blame the coaching staff for anything last night.  Marquess Wilson gets multiple false starts, they show Cutler pulling him aside walking off the field to explain why he ran a route incorrectly, but Gruden won't acknowledge that Trestman, Kromer, and crew don't have a unnatural carnal knowledgeing clue.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #1664 on: December 16, 2014, 10:03:05 AM »
I think that's all a bit reactionary. 

It isn't if using the franchise tag is exactly what you thought they should have done with Cutler a year or so ago. The only thing the guy up has ever proven is that he has some talent, but is inconsistent to bad as a QB. Had they gone that route, they'd be able to walk away from the guy in two weeks and be in much better position to rebuild this mess.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #1665 on: December 16, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »
I can absolutely see the allure of Jay. I've defended him before.

But, the truth is, maybe Jay is just empty calories.

He's like a guy who hits 15 homers a year because he guesses on every pitch and runs into 15 fastballs that he guessed right on. The 15 homers may look good, every good pitcher is going to throw him 3 sliders and strike him out.

Empty calories.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1666 on: December 16, 2014, 10:23:36 AM »
He's like a guy who hits 15 homers a year because he guesses on every pitch and runs into 15 fastballs that he guessed right on. The 15 homers may look good, every good pitcher is going to throw him 3 sliders and strike him out.

"Sign this guy!" -Doug Melvin, probably.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1667 on: December 16, 2014, 10:28:43 AM »
I can absolutely see the allure of Jay. I've defended him before.

But, the truth is, maybe Jay is just empty calories.

Empty calories.

I think he's more like the 25-30 HR guy who also strikes out 125 times a year.  He's gonna win you some games by going yard (see SF, see alot of his 4th quarter comebacks last year), but he's also gonna leave guys on base and make you tear your hair out. 

brandx

« Reply #1668 on: December 16, 2014, 11:06:13 AM »
I think he's more like the 25-30 HR guy who also strikes out 125 times a year.  He's gonna win you some games by going yard (see SF, see alot of his 4th quarter comebacks last year), but he's also gonna leave guys on base and make you tear your hair out. 

Mark Reynolds - .196 and 22 HR

brandx

« Reply #1669 on: December 16, 2014, 11:14:52 AM »
I think that's all a bit reactionary.  I'm done defending anyone on this team.  But clearly something went wrong somewhere this season.  Cutler isn't a "bad" football player.  He's an average NFL QB with an elite arm.  Go watch the Jets or the Texans or the Rams to see "bad" QBs.  Alot of very smart football people forecasted a great year for Cutler this year based on a variety of things.  Its not just some idiots with blinders on at Halas Hall.  But he's played like crap, in an offense that has sputtered all year long.  Trestman can't seem to figure out how to properly utilize one of the top 5 RBs in the league so I'm not shocked when a QB is struggling.  This offense has been listing for 6-7 weeks, before everyone gave up.

I did find it hilarious when Gruden spent 5 minutes blaming a lack of discipline on offense on Cutler's snap count.  Tons of OL penalties on a unit that is...hmmm, coached by Aaron Kromer. He "flat out" refused to blame the coaching staff for anything last night.  Marquess Wilson gets multiple false starts, they show Cutler pulling him aside walking off the field to explain why he ran a route incorrectly, but Gruden won't acknowledge that Trestman, Kromer, and crew don't have a unnatural carnal knowledgeing clue.

Cutler IS a bad football player. 9 years with one playoff appearance and one Pro Bowl for a season where he threw 25  TD passes with 18 Ints. You replace him with Ryan Fitzpatrick and the record is as good or better.

I always loved the excuse that it's not his fault because he's had to deal with so many coaches and OCs. Umm.... the reason he's had that many is because he is Jay Cutler. Winners don't get their coaches fired every other year.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1670 on: December 16, 2014, 11:20:47 AM »

That last part with Wilson is especially true. A couple of "Bears fans" that I know we're ripping cutler for yelling at Wilson. Wilson is pretty much still a rookie. Jay looked really calm and looked like he was trying to teach him. Don't know if he ran the wrong route or if he just under threw it but looked like he was teaching Wilson. Also would much rather have Cutty than Ryan Fitzpatrick.

brandx

« Reply #1671 on: December 16, 2014, 11:31:30 AM »
That last part with Wilson is especially true. A couple of "Bears fans" that I know we're ripping cutler for yelling at Wilson. Wilson is pretty much still a rookie. Jay looked really calm and looked like he was trying to teach him. Don't know if he ran the wrong route or if he just under threw it but looked like he was teaching Wilson. Also would much rather have Cutty than Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Yeah, but Jay never had cool nicknames. In Buffalo, he was nicknamed "Fitzmagic" and "The Amish Rifle".

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #1672 on: December 16, 2014, 11:54:49 AM »
I think he's more like the 25-30 HR guy who also strikes out 125 times a year.  He's gonna win you some games by going yard (see SF, see alot of his 4th quarter comebacks last year), but he's also gonna leave guys on base and make you tear your hair out.  

Jay = Carlos Gomez?

You recognize the talent. You love him when it's going well.

But, when it goes bad, he looks REALLY BAD.

(BTW, I LOVE Gomez defensively, but offensively, he'll drive you nuts, YAR!).

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1673 on: December 16, 2014, 12:42:09 PM »
Jay = Carlos Gomez?

You recognize the talent. You love him when it's going well.

But, when it goes bad, he looks REALLY BAD.

(BTW, I LOVE Gomez defensively, but offensively, he'll drive you nuts, YAR!).

I get where you're going with this, but Gomez in the last two years has an All Star appearance, gold glove award, and led all NL position players in WAR in 2013. Both players can be maddening, but Gomez is at a much higher level than Cutler

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1674 on: December 16, 2014, 01:40:32 PM »
I always loved the excuse that it's not his fault because he's had to deal with so many coaches and OCs. Umm.... the reason he's had that many is because he is Jay Cutler. Winners don't get their coaches fired every other year.

You're really gonna say Cutler is the reason for the firing of Ron Turner, Mike Martz, and Mike Tice?  2 guys in Turner and Tice who have never been OCs again, and a guy in Martz who was still living in the success of a system that had worked a decade prior?  You can blame Cutler for what happened with Lovie perhaps, but the dude had terrible OCs, maybe average with Ron Tuner, thats a fact.  Tice had no business being an OC.