collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 586889 times)

brandx

Re: 2014-15 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #1600 on: December 09, 2014, 11:10:18 AM »
I heard a very interesting point in regards to Virginia's death.

The inheritance tax may be a huge blow to the McCaskey's cash flow, and could force them to sell the remainder of the franchise to Patrick Ryan.

That's what I was referring to earlier with the infighting. Some of the kids want to keep the team in the family and some will want the $$$ from selling the team. Virginia's got 11 kids plus I think there are some kids from Halas Jr. as well. As of now, there is NO concensus with them.

brandx

« Reply #1601 on: December 09, 2014, 11:11:16 AM »
Definitely could be an issue. The McCaskey's don't have outside business interests and are not independently wealth. There's also issues in regards to the percentage of team ownership after Virginia's death, since the shares of the franchise will be split 11 ways. This article outlines some of the challenges: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-07-28/sports/ct-spt-0728-bears-chicago-sports-20130728_1_mccaskeys-bears-many-family-businesses

13 ways.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1602 on: December 09, 2014, 11:29:05 AM »
Hub Arkush said the other day that the Ryan's are the preferred buyer of the team, if they sell, and likely wouldn't open up to offers.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1603 on: December 09, 2014, 12:22:09 PM »
That's what I was referring to earlier with the infighting. Some of the kids want to keep the team in the family and some will want the $$$ from selling the team. Virginia's got 11 kids plus I think there are some kids from Halas Jr. as well. As of now, there is NO concensus with them.

That makes sense. I thought you were referring to the football operation with the infighting.

brandx

« Reply #1604 on: December 09, 2014, 01:41:02 PM »
That makes sense. I thought you were referring to the football operation with the infighting.

No prob.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1605 on: December 09, 2014, 04:35:21 PM »
It's been a while since I've been on here, but had a few minutes this afternoon to catch up on the interweb.

When Virginia passes away, the McCaskey family, under NFL ownership rules, will have no owner. No one child or member of the family will own each of a percentage to be a principal owner. Of the top of my head, and someone can correct me, I believe it's 10%. I think I posted it a few months back. The Bears have already worked with the NFL to ensure that a solution can be reached when this comes up (from what I've heard).

Someone would have to give something up, either one of the kids, or the Ryan/McKenna team.

I can tell you first hand from working with members of that family, albeit now 14 years ago, the majority of them still have no business running an NFL team nor want to. Some of them enjoy it (George, Brian to name a couple), but I believe they will collectively decide to sell.

If it's not Ryan/McKenna that becomes majority owner, I'd bet the first thing the new owner does is try to hold the city hostage on the awful stadium agreement (that heavily favors the city).

Hope everyone is doing well.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1606 on: December 09, 2014, 04:57:14 PM »
It's been a while since I've been on here, but had a few minutes this afternoon to catch up on the interweb.

When Virginia passes away, the McCaskey family, under NFL ownership rules, will have no owner. No one child or member of the family will own each of a percentage to be a principal owner. Of the top of my head, and someone can correct me, I believe it's 10%. I think I posted it a few months back. The Bears have already worked with the NFL to ensure that a solution can be reached when this comes up (from what I've heard).

Someone would have to give something up, either one of the kids, or the Ryan/McKenna team.

I can tell you first hand from working with members of that family, albeit now 14 years ago, the majority of them still have no business running an NFL team nor want to. Some of them enjoy it (George, Brian to name a couple), but I believe they will collectively decide to sell.

If it's not Ryan/McKenna that becomes majority owner, I'd bet the first thing the new owner does is try to hold the city hostage on the awful stadium agreement (that heavily favors the city).

Hope everyone is doing well.

Was looking forward to your comments about this. Praying for your family.

Do you think that George has enough cloud in the family to hold onto the team? I've been under the impression that Virginia moved him up because she thought George could do that.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1607 on: December 09, 2014, 05:17:34 PM »
Thanks man, very much appreciated.

Once Virginia passes, it's going to get messy. Virginia more or less has tasked George with sorting it out as the lead. I'll put it this way, if there wasn't a lead McCaskey, things would probably wind up in court quickly.

My guess, and it's just a guess, is the family has a specific plan for the 30% share that Virginia owns/controls. Publicly, the family is going to say they're keeping the team. That's just smart and sound business. Privately though, there's way too many hands in the cookie jar, and too many people who have no real knowledge of owning an NFL franchise. As the family gets older too, the shares get more diluted as they are passed on to grandkids (like after Tim McCaskey passed a few years ago).

Will be very interesting to see how it plays out long term.

brandx

« Reply #1608 on: December 09, 2014, 07:21:32 PM »
Welcome back Dish. I hope and pray your son is doing well.

The Bears biggest problem is that an accountant is in charge. Sure, Emery is the GM, but he reports to an accountant and that is not a recipe for success. They need a separation of powers similar to GB. If they want to keep Phillips, fine. But they need a  man with equal powers to Phillips to run the football side of things. He needs to be a football lifer (a la Wolf or Thompson) and needs complete autonomy in football affairs.

It would do no good to get rid of Emery when Phillips would be picking the next GM.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1609 on: December 09, 2014, 09:06:26 PM »
Welcome back Dish. I hope and pray your son is doing well.

The Bears biggest problem is that an accountant is in charge. Sure, Emery is the GM, but he reports to an accountant and that is not a recipe for success. They need a separation of powers similar to GB. If they want to keep Phillips, fine. But they need a  man with equal powers to Phillips to run the football side of things. He needs to be a football lifer (a la Wolf or Thompson) and needs complete autonomy in football affairs.

It would do no good to get rid of Emery when Phillips would be picking the next GM.

+1

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1610 on: December 12, 2014, 10:05:43 AM »
So it looks like Arizona may have lost Drew Stanton as well.  I was thinking that this could give the Packers some breathing room if they lose Sunday (which they very well might) as long as they win their final two games.

At worst, they would own the tie breakers against Philly (head to head) or Dallas (conference record).  And even if Arizona manages to keep even with Green Bay, and that will be tough for them, being the #2 with Arizona as the #1 wouldn't be all bad.

The problem is that I am guessing that Seattle runs the table (v. SF, @ AZ, v. StL) and will finish 12-4.  And I don't want to play there again. 

So I am thinking that the Packers can't have a loss Sunday.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1611 on: December 12, 2014, 10:20:36 AM »
So it looks like Arizona may have lost Drew Stanton as well.  I was thinking that this could give the Packers some breathing room if they lose Sunday (which they very well might) as long as they win their final two games.

At worst, they would own the tie breakers against Philly (head to head) or Dallas (conference record).  And even if Arizona manages to keep even with Green Bay, and that will be tough for them, being the #2 with Arizona as the #1 wouldn't be all bad.

The problem is that I am guessing that Seattle runs the table (v. SF, @ AZ, v. StL) and will finish 12-4.  And I don't want to play there again. 

So I am thinking that the Packers can't have a loss Sunday.

Seahawks will lose at least one more game. Possibly against SF, maybe Arizona if the Cardinals can figure out a way to score over 10 points, or maybe even St Louis. St Louis impresses me. Fischer has done a great job with that team. If they get a QB, they will be formidable in the future.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1612 on: December 12, 2014, 10:40:17 AM »
As Detroit and Green Bay move towards their season finale in Lambeau, let me toss this little stat out there.   Matthew Stafford has never won a road game against a team with a >.500 winning percentage.   Detroit needs to win the next two weeks against the Vikings and Bears or they will be sitting home this year.   They need them both because I don't think 10 wins will be enough. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1613 on: December 12, 2014, 10:51:13 AM »
As Detroit and Green Bay move towards their season finale in Lambeau, let me toss this little stat out there.   Matthew Stafford has never won a road game against a team with a >.500 winning percentage.   Detroit needs to win the next two weeks against the Vikings and Bears or they will be sitting home this year.   They need them both because I don't think 10 wins will be enough. 

Dallas has Philly and Indy still on the schedule. They could easily go 10-6, not sure who would go to the playoffs between Detroit and Dallas if they both finished 10-6.  It will be a mute point because Detroit will go 11-5 and be the wild card team with Arizona at 11-5. I can't see the lions winning at Green Bay unless the Packers have everything wrapped up.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1614 on: December 12, 2014, 10:59:47 AM »
 Detroit needs to win the next two weeks against the Vikings and Bears or they will be sitting home this year.   They need them both because I don't think 10 wins will be enough. 

Tower, don't worry about the Bears game. The Bears are currently in a full-out, Raiders and Redskins-like, meltdown mode. Here's the latest gem: http://deadspin.com/bears-oc-gives-tearful-apology-for-criticizing-jay-cutl-1670246085

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1615 on: December 12, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »
Tower, don't worry about the Bears game. The Bears are currently in a full-out, Raiders and Redskins-like, meltdown mode. Here's the latest gem: http://deadspin.com/bears-oc-gives-tearful-apology-for-criticizing-jay-cutl-1670246085

The very first comment under that.

"I'm a Lions fan, and this is the most dysfunctional thing I've ever seen in the NFC North."

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1616 on: December 12, 2014, 11:25:05 AM »

The very first comment under that.

"I'm a Lions fan, and this is the most dysfunctional thing I've ever seen in the NFC North."

Yeah, its bad. Simply, Marc Trestman is not cut out to be a NFL head coach. He lacks control, accountability and has garnered no respect with both his players and coaches.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #1617 on: December 12, 2014, 11:29:49 AM »

And I thought the players had no respect for Trestman and Tucker.  Cromer might have stolen the show.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1618 on: December 12, 2014, 11:33:22 AM »
From what I understand, Bruce Arians wanted that job, but the Bears insisted that he hire Mel Tucker.  And Mel Tucker was required to play the Tampa Two defense last year.

Seriously, what organization does this?  Where has stuff like this *ever* worked?

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1619 on: December 12, 2014, 11:42:26 AM »
From what I understand, Bruce Arians wanted that job, but the Bears insisted that he hire Mel Tucker.  And Mel Tucker was required to play the Tampa Two defense last year.

Seriously, what organization does this?  Where has stuff like this *ever* worked?

Why, simplistic thinking. "We can get rid of Lovie, but keep his defense. Results will be roughly the same." The vets on defense last year, Briggs, Peppers, Tillman, never brought into that. Doomed from the start.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1620 on: December 12, 2014, 12:06:48 PM »

The Bears actually wanted Arians to keep Rod Marinelli as DC and continue running the Tampa 2, which was ridiculous to begin with because Marinelli wasn't going to stick around without Lovie.

The Bears also made coaching candidates go through a mock press conference during their interviews. Apparently, doing a majority of the Colts' pressers while winning NFL Coach of the Year wasn't good enough.

Make no mistake, Arians wanted to be the head coach of the Bears, but the Bears botched it.

BTW, how is Kromer still employed by the Bears?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 12:35:00 PM by MerrittsMustache »

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1621 on: December 12, 2014, 01:02:40 PM »
BTW, how is Kromer still employed by the Bears?

Because there's no accountability under Trestman.

Frankly, I hope it gets worse. Sadly, I think the Bears are going to keep Trestman. However, stuff like this makes it very, very difficult for Phil Emery & co. to sell the idea of another year. Its one thing to lose games, its another to completely lose control of your team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1622 on: December 12, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »
The Bears actually wanted Arians to keep Rod Marinelli as DC and continue running the Tampa 2, which was ridiculous to begin with because Marinelli wasn't going to stick around without Lovie.

The Bears also made coaching candidates go through a mock press conference during their interviews. Apparently, doing a majority of the Colts' pressers while winning NFL Coach of the Year wasn't good enough.

That's right.  Thanks.

Forgot about the mock press conference.  Hilarious. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1623 on: December 12, 2014, 01:26:44 PM »
I'll be more then a little upset if Trestman gets another year. Agree, it's one thing to lose games but Trestman has no control over the locker room. What a joke of a season. I feel bad for Forte.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #1624 on: December 12, 2014, 03:52:43 PM »
I'll be more then a little upset if Trestman gets another year. Agree, it's one thing to lose games but Trestman has no control over the locker room. What a joke of a season. I feel bad for Forte.

Hear you Juan - as a Packers fan behind the FIB curtain, I at least want this rivalry to be competitive.  Not even close right now and it is sad how far the Bears have fallen.  I hope the next management team gets it right.

feedback