collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 443848 times)

brandx

Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #2275 on: January 03, 2014, 01:27:20 PM »
Some interesting chatter out there regarding the Pack/Niners game, and how the NFL could have done a lot more for all involved.

The sexy matchups this weekend are the two NFC games, both the teams involved and TV markets. One of the two NFC games was going to be the Saturday night NBC game. The other was going to be the late game on Sunday.

The NFL could have avoided (or curbed) the potential Packer blackout and some weather concerns by having the Pack/Niners game be the early game on Saturday. It's supposed to be (I believe) mid 20's on Saturday afternoon in Green Bay, and if the late game on Sunday and weather conditions contributed to people not buying tickets, the Saturday afternoon kick may have subsided a lot of those concerns.

I know TV drives everything, but the NFL was short sighted here in hindsight, they had time to plan this out better, and give Packer/Niner fans going to the game more of an opportunity to enjoy being there and prevent a game being played in the forecasted conditions on Sunday.

The only real solution is to wait til Monday to set the games. The NFL may have thought that if the weather was gonna be cold, they were trying to have the GB/SF game start earlier than it would have on a Saturday.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2276 on: January 03, 2014, 01:35:04 PM »
I agree. I read his entire deadspin article.

He was tweeting about the Pope, called other NFL players D-bags, etc.

It was brave of him to stand up for marriage equality, and I agree with him, but he also kind of strikes me as a guy who just likes the limelight. Not sure you want that in your punter/holder.

Kluwe doesn't get it, but it's very simple. NFL coaches HATE distractions. If you're a marginal NFL player or a kicker/punter, you better not be a distraction. If you're both a marginal NFL player AND a kicker/punter AND a distraction, you're going to be looking for work.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2277 on: January 03, 2014, 01:58:48 PM »
most kickers/punters have always been a bit 'different'

brandx

« Reply #2278 on: January 03, 2014, 02:27:25 PM »
Kluwe doesn't get it, but it's very simple. NFL coaches HATE distractions. If you're a marginal NFL player or a kicker/punter, you better not be a distraction. If you're both a marginal NFL player AND a kicker/punter AND a distraction, you're going to be looking for work.

+1

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #2279 on: January 03, 2014, 02:29:13 PM »

+1.

HOWEVER, assuming Kluwe is telling the truth, the special teams coach is a douchebag.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2280 on: January 03, 2014, 02:43:31 PM »

While correct, the special teams coach still needs to be looked at heavily. There's no place for that in today's world.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2281 on: January 03, 2014, 02:45:31 PM »
The other problem Kluwe ran into was he was believing that the circle jerk surrounding him was the majority opinion.  And he was a massive dick about it.  Could have been mature and rose above, but decided to play down in the muck and insult people.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2282 on: January 03, 2014, 02:50:37 PM »
There are lots of professions that are as limited in the numbers capable of performing them that make no where near the money that Athletes/Entertainers/CEOs make.  An example is in science.  There are literally at most 50-100 people in the world capable of CURING diseases like Cancer/Diabetes.  They are making in the 80k-150k range.  The Athletes/Entertainers/CEOs make that kind of money largely, because of ingrained culture and historical tendencies, less of actual supply and demand.

Even a great scientist is different from a great athlete/entertainer. It's more than there being millions upon millions of people willing to shell out big bucks to watch a great athlete (vs. thousands of students willing to pay big bucks to fund a science professor's research or hundreds of patients willing to pay big bucks to get operated on by an esteemed doctor) -- although that's a part of it.

It's also, again, could I have been a scientist if I really had applied myself in grade school, high school, college and post-grad? I think I could have, and there are lots of people way smarter than me. But could I have been a pro athlete, no matter how much I applied myself? I'm pretty sure I couldn't have been. Again, supply and demand. Any egghead can become a scientist. Even great college athletes often can't become pros.

If it sounds like I'm defending jocks, that isn't my point. I'm just explaining reality. Supply and demand.

Now, some might say, "It's OK that Tom Brady get paid big bucks because he has built quite a career, but Cutler, why should he get that money?" Or even more: "Why does the worst veteran ballplayer on the worst MLB club make seven figures?"

It's STILL supply and demand!

Cutler isn't Tom Brady, but he is still viewed as a top-10 QB who has the potential to be even better than that. Of 7 billion humans on the planet, only 10 can be viewed as top-10 NFL quarterbacks.

There are 750 MLB players. Even the 750th best represents the tiniest, tiniest, tiniest fraction of humans on the planet. I don't know about anyone else out there, but I could not have come even close to being the 750th best ballplayer on the planet.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2283 on: January 03, 2014, 03:13:01 PM »
While correct, the special teams coach still needs to be looked at heavily. There's no place for that in today's world.

Totally agree.

I don't think either of these guys, Kluwe or the coach, will be getting NFL jobs anytime soon.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2284 on: January 03, 2014, 03:41:44 PM »
Where's Jaybee on this Kluwe deal? Any insights from someone like him living in MN?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2285 on: January 03, 2014, 04:13:30 PM »
Where's Jaybee on this Kluwe deal? Any insights from someone like him living in MN?

What do you mean someone like him? Gay?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2286 on: January 03, 2014, 04:15:25 PM »
What do you mean someone like him? Gay?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2287 on: January 03, 2014, 04:23:27 PM »
SKOL!

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #2288 on: January 03, 2014, 04:26:41 PM »
Totally agree.

I don't think either of these guys, Kluwe or the coach, will be getting NFL jobs anytime soon.

Wasn't the ST coach getting a look for the head job in MN?

I think at this point Kluwe knows he isn't getting a job.  I believe that's why he waited a year to release this, in hopes that last year he would get picked up.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2289 on: January 03, 2014, 04:35:48 PM »

Yes. He was. Have a hard time believing that hasn't changed though. Especially if the owner was as supportive of Kluwe's message as Kluwe claims.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #2290 on: January 03, 2014, 04:49:10 PM »

I think at this point Kluwe knows he isn't getting a job.  I believe that's why he waited a year to release this, in hopes that last year he would get picked up.
He says that's why he wrote the article.

I would support his article if it focused on the horrible behavior of the coach. Instead, he made it about himself and played the "homophobe" card.

Same thing with Jason Collins. He maybe lost a spot because he came out, but it had nothing to do with him being gay. The guy knew he was very close to being out of the league and wanted the limelight to try to boost his chance at another job.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #2291 on: January 03, 2014, 05:07:28 PM »
He says that's why he wrote the article.

I would support his article if it focused on the horrible behavior of the coach. Instead, he made it about himself and played the "homophobe" card.

Same thing with Jason Collins. He maybe lost a spot because he came out, but it had nothing to do with him being gay. The guy knew he was very close to being out of the league and wanted the limelight to try to boost his chance at another job.

I dunno.

I mean, if I'm Collins or Kluwe, and I'm cashing big checks for playing pro sports, I might not rock the boat too much.

However, if/when my career is almost over (and I have a large bank account), I might be more willing to voice my opinions and views... knowing that it might not help my career, but I've got some f-you money in the bank.

In fact, it's the very definition of f-you money. I wouldn't tell my boss on day 1 to f-off. However, after 10 years and if I know I'm going someplace else, I might tell him that. Same for Kluwe and Collins.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #2292 on: January 03, 2014, 05:52:57 PM »
All of you knuckleheads (meant in an endearing sort of way) going to the Packer game please sport the full snowmobile/hunting regalia.  Good lord.  I'm beginning to think that the mother-in-law has the right idea-one or two games a year in September/October and sell the rest. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2293 on: January 03, 2014, 05:58:53 PM »
I'm going now just cause of how many hairy wet cats there are in this day and age.   I can tell my grandkids I went to the 30 below game at Lambeau.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2294 on: January 03, 2014, 06:28:07 PM »
I'm going now just cause of how many hairy wet cats there are in this day and age.   I can tell my grandkids I went to the 30 below game at Lambeau.

Better triple wrap the boys, you get frostbitten in the wrong area grandkids ain't in your future.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2295 on: January 03, 2014, 06:56:42 PM »
Even a great scientist is different from a great athlete/entertainer. It's more than there being millions upon millions of people willing to shell out big bucks to watch a great athlete (vs. thousands of students willing to pay big bucks to fund a science professor's research or hundreds of patients willing to pay big bucks to get operated on by an esteemed doctor) -- although that's a part of it.

It's also, again, could I have been a scientist if I really had applied myself in grade school, high school, college and post-grad? I think I could have, and there are lots of people way smarter than me. But could I have been a pro athlete, no matter how much I applied myself? I'm pretty sure I couldn't have been. Again, supply and demand. Any egghead can become a scientist. Even great college athletes often can't become pros.

If it sounds like I'm defending jocks, that isn't my point. I'm just explaining reality. Supply and demand.

Now, some might say, "It's OK that Tom Brady get paid big bucks because he has built quite a career, but Cutler, why should he get that money?" Or even more: "Why does the worst veteran ballplayer on the worst MLB club make seven figures?"

It's STILL supply and demand!

Cutler isn't Tom Brady, but he is still viewed as a top-10 QB who has the potential to be even better than that. Of 7 billion humans on the planet, only 10 can be viewed as top-10 NFL quarterbacks.

There are 750 MLB players. Even the 750th best represents the tiniest, tiniest, tiniest fraction of humans on the planet. I don't know about anyone else out there, but I could not have come even close to being the 750th best ballplayer on the planet.

Our societies' priorities sure are screwed up.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2296 on: January 03, 2014, 07:14:10 PM »
+1.

HOWEVER, assuming Kluwe is telling the truth, the special teams coach is a douchebag.

The special teams coach completely denies saying any of this.  When the players in the meeting come out and tell the truth we may find out who is lying because either  the coach or Kluwe are lying.

I posted my original post in jest/teal.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2297 on: January 03, 2014, 07:31:11 PM »
Hochuli go sleeveless Sunday in Lambeau?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2298 on: January 03, 2014, 11:14:37 PM »
Hochuli go sleeveless Sunday in Lambeau?

Shirtless.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2299 on: January 04, 2014, 12:59:10 PM »
Kluwe's a jerkbait loser who always has been a bit of a sideshow weirdo.  His gay (and other) rants over the years have endeared him to non-sports lovers.

I don't know what was said... don't so much care unless I know the exact words, context, etc.

All I know is Kluwe's a d-head. Glad he's long gone.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback