[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 443888 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #2325 on: January 05, 2014, 09:05:03 PM »
Also, how many seasons are we going to waste away with the offensive talent we have? You have Rodgers and the receivers that are on the Packers and you get hot for 1 post season and that's it? 2010 was awesome. Besides that? 1 and done to the Cardinals. 1 and done at home to the Giants. Beat a Vikings team that wasn't Playoff caliber and then get smoked by the 9ers. 1 and done at home to the 9ers. Other than 1 season, you can't get past the Divisional Round with some combination of Rodgers, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Finley, Boykins, and Jennings? Come on!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #2326 on: January 05, 2014, 09:16:01 PM »
Not capers fault. You have to make an interception when it hits you in the hands. That was the game right there. Bush rushes inside breaking contain outside also killed them.  They were down to no outside linebackers and playing without their best corner and pass rusher. How is that capers fault.

How many times do they have to break contain before it is on the coaches? It has been a constant all year, by Matthews. Perry, Neal, and Mulumba - game after game after game after game. That is 100% on the coaches and the scheme. When erik Walden was playing OLB, again it was constant lack of contain. There are only 3 options - either ALL of the players are too stupid to carry out their assignments, or the scheme is wrong, or the coaching is terrible.

For 3 years now, they have been doing it game after game. When Hyde drops an easy int. which would have been a pick 6, that is a player making an error. When players are out of position game after game, it is on the coaches. When you put Hawk one-on-one in the red zone on Vernon Davis, that is not a bad play by Hawk - it is a gimme TD and a brutally terrible call by Capers.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2327 on: January 05, 2014, 09:42:37 PM »
Considering all the guys who were hurt, I thought the Packers' D held it together remarkably well. Hyde makes that pick and the Packers are celebrating.

As a Panthers fan, I recognize that Kaepernick is talented but I also am encouraged that he throws 3-4 stupid passes every game. And I'm sure my lads will get more pressure on him than the Packers did, so maybe they can force him into 5 or 6 stupid passes. The Panthers got after him big time in winning in SF two months ago.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2328 on: January 05, 2014, 10:51:56 PM »
How many times do they have to break contain before it is on the coaches? It has been a constant all year, by Matthews. Perry, Neal, and Mulumba - game after game after game after game. That is 100% on the coaches and the scheme.

Absolutely right. And that's why bringing 7 on that play was an unnecessary gamble.

And to the point about wasting their talent... they'll have over 25 years of elite, HOF level quarterback play by the time Rodgers is done. And they'll have 2 titles to show for it. Pathetic.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2329 on: January 05, 2014, 11:36:23 PM »
Kluwe was cheering 4 the Packers.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #2330 on: January 06, 2014, 08:05:10 AM »
Those 4 points left on the field at end of the first half cost the Pack in the end.
exactly correct.  Where was Lacy on that drive?

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #2331 on: January 06, 2014, 08:17:53 AM »
They need to start taking the FA a lot more seriously. I think TT's draft talents are wearing off. There is a gaping hole at safety that cannot be solved by drafting an unproven rookie.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2332 on: January 06, 2014, 08:22:11 AM »
They need to start taking the FA a lot more seriously. I think TT's draft talents are wearing off. There is a gaping hole at safety that cannot be solved by drafting an unproven rookie.

Well, if there's a position that you can plug a college kid into right away, it is safety.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2333 on: January 06, 2014, 08:33:41 AM »
Well, if there's a position that you can plug a college kid into right away, it is safety.

Chris conte, major wright and Craig steltz would like to have a word with you.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2334 on: January 06, 2014, 08:36:46 AM »
How many times do they have to break contain before it is on the coaches? It has been a constant all year, by Matthews. Perry, Neal, and Mulumba - game after game after game after game. That is 100% on the coaches and the scheme. When erik Walden was playing OLB, again it was constant lack of contain. There are only 3 options - either ALL of the players are too stupid to carry out their assignments, or the scheme is wrong, or the coaching is terrible.

For 3 years now, they have been doing it game after game. When Hyde drops an easy int. which would have been a pick 6, that is a player making an error. When players are out of position game after game, it is on the coaches. When you put Hawk one-on-one in the red zone on Vernon Davis, that is not a bad play by Hawk - it is a gimme TD and a brutally terrible call by Capers.

Jarret Bush jumped inside instead of taking the outside route. Are you sure Capers told him to do that? This isn’t Madden 25, Capers doesn’t control these guys with a joy stick. Again look who we are talking about, Jarret Bush. That defense was decimated by injury in that game and all year.

Let’s review,  best cornerback, Shields out, best defensive playmaker, Matthews out, two outside linebackers injured and out and/or ineffective,   It’ tough to overcome that, and with all that they still held them to 23 points, that’s  good enough to win.

As far as Hawk covering Davis, The middle linebacker covers the tight end over the middle, it’s been going on all year. Go back and look, Hawk had very good coverage on that play. The problem wasn’t Hawk, it was Morgan Burnett reacting too slow and missing the interception, went right through his hands.

I don’t disagree with you that Capers should be gone, just to bring in another voice that the players may respond to, but you can’t put that loss on Capers.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2335 on: January 06, 2014, 08:51:59 AM »
Chris conte, major wright and Craig steltz would like to have a word with you.

Conte and Wright were 3rd rounders. Steltz was a 4th.

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix will be starting on whatever team he is drafted to.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2336 on: January 06, 2014, 08:55:30 AM »
Watching last night's game, I was amazed at how well Green Bay's defense was playing with all of the injuries.   The slow start by the offense and the line allowing AR to get beat up early were far more of a problem than the defense. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #2337 on: January 06, 2014, 08:55:45 AM »

cHICAGO.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2338 on: January 06, 2014, 08:59:58 AM »

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #2339 on: January 06, 2014, 09:05:16 AM »
Jarret Bush jumped inside instead of taking the outside route. Are you sure Capers told him to do that? This isn’t Madden 25, Capers doesn’t control these guys with a joy stick. Again look who we are talking about, Jarret Bush. That defense was decimated by injury in that game and all year.

Let’s review,  best cornerback, Shields out, best defensive playmaker, Matthews out, two outside linebackers injured and out and/or ineffective,   It’ tough to overcome that, and with all that they still held them to 23 points, that’s  good enough to win.

As far as Hawk covering Davis, The middle linebacker covers the tight end over the middle, it’s been going on all year. Go back and look, Hawk had very good coverage on that play. The problem wasn’t Hawk, it was Morgan Burnett reacting too slow and missing the interception, went right through his hands.

I don’t disagree with you that Capers should be gone, just to bring in another voice that the players may respond to, but you can’t put that loss on Capers.

Yep.  Maybe Burnett should have been shading toward the all-world TE being covered by a MLB instead of shading toward Boldin, who was at least being covered by a competent CB.  Having Hawk cover Davis isn't a terrible call, so long as he has safety help, which he was supposed to have.  That is another play where a player was too late, or too slow to be where he was supposed to be.  Blame Capers all you want, but the personnel just isn't very good.  

Credit where it is due, it was also a well designed play against man coverage that was designed to make Burnett make that choice.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #2340 on: January 06, 2014, 09:06:12 AM »
If he's available.

All a guy can do is hope.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2341 on: January 06, 2014, 09:16:07 AM »

True. But technically you didn't say a first round college kid can be plugged in.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2342 on: January 06, 2014, 09:18:11 AM »
True. But technically you didn't say a first round college kid can be plugged in.

Or second round.

I think whoever you get in the 1st or 2nd better be playing. They should be talented enough. After that you're developing.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2343 on: January 06, 2014, 09:22:52 AM »
Also, how many seasons are we going to waste away with the offensive talent we have? You have Rodgers and the receivers that are on the Packers and you get hot for 1 post season and that's it? 2010 was awesome. Besides that? 1 and done to the Cardinals. 1 and done at home to the Giants. Beat a Vikings team that wasn't Playoff caliber and then get smoked by the 9ers. 1 and done at home to the 9ers. Other than 1 season, you can't get past the Divisional Round with some combination of Rodgers, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Finley, Boykins, and Jennings? Come on!

Not calling you out specifically, but it's quite possible that the Packers' offensive talent just isn't quite as talented as many fans believe it to be. Fans typically overrate their own team's abilities. Admittedly, I probably do the same when I say that with just an average D, the Bears would be SB contenders.

Recently, the Packers have been built more like a dome/warm weather team given their reliance on the pass and their timing offense. That doesn't always bold well for deep playoff runs (ask Peyton Manning). In fact, look at Rodgers' postseason splits playing indoors vs outdoors...

Indoors: 3 games, 364 yd/gm, 71% comp, 10 TD, 1 INT, 125.1 rating (2-1)

Outdoors: 6 games, 233 yd/gm, 63.2% comp, 9 TD, 4 INT, 90.3 rating (3-3)

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #2344 on: January 06, 2014, 10:01:42 AM »
I'll ask again, does anyone know why Lacy was not on the field on outlast scoring drive? 7 instead of 3 would have been the ballgame.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2345 on: January 06, 2014, 10:09:59 AM »
I'll ask again, does anyone know why Lacy was not on the field on outlast scoring drive? 7 instead of 3 would have been the ballgame.

I've heard no explanation. That handoff to Cobb was absolutely ridiculous. Seems as though McCarthy outsmarted himself. Just makes no sense that Lacy or Starks don't get the ball at least twice there.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2346 on: January 06, 2014, 11:02:23 AM »
I thought the Pack defense battled yesterday. The third and 8 play at the end was a killer, as was Hyde not being able to come up with that pick (although I thought the ball was sailing a bit and was a tough catch). With no Matthews, losing Shields and Neal, I thought they hung in there and kept battling.

McCarthy is frustrating, I underestimated his decision making.

Looking ahead, I think they let Jones walk. I forgot how old he is, and I think Thompson lets him walk. Gut feeling, he winds up a Lion.

I know Finley and Quarles are free agents, and I know the Pack need safety help, but another player I love is Eric Ebron. I think he's going to be a stud, and even with defensive needs, I think he'd be a great fit for the Pack.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2347 on: January 06, 2014, 11:17:27 AM »
I thought the Pack defense battled yesterday. The third and 8 play at the end was a killer, as was Hyde not being able to come up with that pick (although I thought the ball was sailing a bit and was a tough catch). With no Matthews, losing Shields and Neal, I thought they hung in there and kept battling.

McCarthy is frustrating, I underestimated his decision making.

Looking ahead, I think they let Jones walk. I forgot how old he is, and I think Thompson lets him walk. Gut feeling, he winds up a Lion.

I know Finley and Quarles are free agents, and I know the Pack need safety help, but another player I love is Eric Ebron. I think he's going to be a stud, and even with defensive needs, I think he'd be a great fit for the Pack.

GB battled and got the help of some terrible no-calls but, in the end, the better team won. As a Bears fan, I can honestly say that I don't think the Bears would have played SF that closely.

I could see Jones ending up in SF. I believe he's from that area, the 49ers lack depth at WR and both Boldin and Manningham are FAs.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2348 on: January 06, 2014, 11:35:45 AM »
We had to switch our D to the 3-4 because the 4-3 wasn't working....how many coordinators does it take to figure out it is not scheme but lack of player development, i.e. strength training.   

Stopping the run has been lacking in GB for a long time, that is hand to hand combat, stalemate or beat your man using leverage and strength.  You can't scheme your way to stopping the run, that is unless you want to severely expose your secondary.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2349 on: January 06, 2014, 12:16:42 PM »
I've heard no explanation. That handoff to Cobb was absolutely ridiculous. Seems as though McCarthy outsmarted himself. Just makes no sense that Lacy or Starks don't get the ball at least twice there.

I was saying that in the stands at the time.  1st and goal and Packers go 5 wide then motion Cobb into the back field.  I thought it telegraphed Cobb run.  Then 2nd down it's 5 wide.  3rd down its 32(3 wr 2 TE), I think.  Not one of those plays had a legitimate running threat presented.  The Cobb run is great outside of the red zone because it introduces all sorts of possibilities but in the red zone where it's packed in the defense doesn't have to think as much.  Lazy and Starks were getting a lot of traction late in the game and to not have them in even as a threat to run is down right criminal. 

Oh by the way this was all with Marshall Freakin Newhouse in the game....how is Rodgers going to have any time to throw.  Newhouse is so bad, the play to get them 1st and goal that last drive, Newhouse missed blocking the DE but Rodgers saw it and stepped up in the pocket.  That same DE went 2 yrds past Rodgers with Newhouse in between and he beat Newhouse AGAIN to almost sack Rodgers.  How do you get smoked twice on the same play and the only reason your QB doesn't get killed is he has some sort of primitive ESP

Defense did what it needed to do (Capers still needs to go) but there is no way that's on the defense.  This season has really made me question McCarthy's capability as a coach.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 12:20:02 PM by mu03eng »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback