[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 439697 times)

brandx

Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #2425 on: January 20, 2014, 03:07:07 PM »
Might make me sound like an old guy, but would Barry Sanders or Jerry Rice, or Walter Payton or Reggie White ever act out that way ON the field.

Nothing wrong with a player thinking he is the best. But making the choke sign while on the field and screaming like a madman after the game proved nothing other than the guy is an idiot.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2426 on: January 20, 2014, 03:11:54 PM »
That's called roid rage.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2427 on: January 20, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »
Might make me sound like an old guy, but would Barry Sanders or Jerry Rice, or Walter Payton or Reggie White ever act out that way ON the field.

Nothing wrong with a player thinking he is the best. But making the choke sign while on the field and screaming like a madman after the game proved nothing other than the guy is an idiot.

Or slapping the opposing player on the ass, then "offering" a handshake, and acting all surprised/butt-hurt when he pushes you away?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2428 on: January 20, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »
As usual I am unaware of the larger story.  Are you indicating that he behaves in this manner through out the Seattle area?  If so, that is clearly unacceptable to me and something that should be addressed.  That would seem to indicate it's not really a schtick.  This might be the time where I put on my sweat pants, mutter damn millinials and go yell at some kids to get off my lawn

I was at Jazz Alley when he and his crew were talking over Lee Ritenour. Rit had too much class to say anything but it took security a couple attempts to get Sherman to shut up. I think the only reason he wasn't booted immediately is because of his celebrity.

A buddy was dining at Dahlia Lounge when Sherman showed up during peak without a rez and demanded to be seated in certain occupied tables. Seahawk fans love the guy but many here know him as a boor.

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2429 on: January 21, 2014, 02:07:43 AM »
I think Jim was referring to the @CoachTomCrean twiter handle.

Pam Oliver looks like Steven Tyler!

Dude looks like a lady...but is actually a lady!
SS Marquette

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2430 on: January 21, 2014, 07:39:46 PM »
nm

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2431 on: January 22, 2014, 09:42:28 AM »
Choked at the end.

Kaep has some mental baggage after two straight seasons of blowing passes to Crabtree.

Just have to remind myself that this is his FIRST full NFL season.
Problem is: this team is built for now.

They'll be back. Sea-SF is a great match up in both social and football terms. Looking forward to this rivalry.

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2432 on: January 31, 2014, 10:05:24 AM »
From ESPN today

Four Downs: Did Broncos win Cutler trade?

Fact or Fiction: Five years later, the Broncos are the winner of the Jay Cutler trade.

Jeff Dickerson: Fact. The Bears have been to the playoffs one time with Cutler in the past five seasons and gave up two first-round picks, a third-round choice (the Bears got Denver's fifth-round pick and selected former wide receiver Johnny Knox) and quarterback Kyle Orton to obtain him. In that same five-year span, the Broncos have gone to the playoffs three times (Tim Tebow has been to the postseason as many times as Cutler) and are poised to win their first Super Bowl championship since the late 1990s on Sunday. I won't even bore you with the details that Denver eventually parlayed some of those picks from the Bears into wide receivers Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker. You know why? Because I don't need to. Success in the NFL is measured in playoff appearances and Super Bowl championships. Cutler supporters will view this as a shot at the quarterback. It's really not. I deal in reality. When a team surrenders two first-round draft picks, a third-rounder and their starting quarterback (Orton) to acquire a supposed franchise quarterback and then reaches the postseason just one time in the five years after the deal from a team that ends up reaching the playoffs three times and playing in a Super Bowl over the exact same time period, the winner is obvious: Denver. Spin it any way you want, the Broncos crushed the Bears on that trade five years ago.

more here: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2433 on: January 31, 2014, 02:20:18 PM »
Success in the NFL is measured in playoff appearances and Super Bowl championships. Cutler supporters will view this as a shot at the quarterback. It's really not. I deal in reality. When a team surrenders two first-round draft picks, a third-rounder and their starting quarterback (Orton) to acquire a supposed franchise quarterback and then reaches the postseason just one time in the five years after the deal from a team that ends up reaching the playoffs three times and playing in a Super Bowl over the exact same time period, the winner is obvious: Denver. Spin it any way you want, the Broncos crushed the Bears on that trade five years ago.

I guess I don't really get his point.  He claims its not a shot at Cutler, but he clearly trolls with that Tebow statement.  And then he pulls the "the only thing that matters is wins and playoff appearances.

Broncos since the trade: 46-34

Bears since the trade: 44-36

One of those playoff appearances for the Broncos featured a stellar 8-8 record while the Bears missed the playoffs last year at 10-6.  And frankly, if Cutler doesn't get hurt and the Hanie/Collins combo tank that season, Tebow doesn't make the playoffs and the Bears have a better comparative record. Not to mention the Bears are competing for a division title with one of the best teams in the NFL over the last 5 years while the Broncos had the weakest division in football, until the Chiefs became decent.  They also added a Hall of Famer and a top tier coach that had nothing to do with that trade.

Bottom line, its a lazy cherry picked article in my opinion.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #2434 on: January 31, 2014, 02:46:12 PM »
I think Peyton Manning might have had a little something to do with the Broncos being in the superbowl this year, he doesn't mention that.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2435 on: January 31, 2014, 03:08:06 PM »
I think Peyton Manning might have had a little something to do with the Broncos being in the superbowl this year, he doesn't mention that.

The Broncos won the trade because it led to them drafting Tebow, dumping Tebow and signing Peyton Manning. It really didn't have much to do with Cutler himself or what Denver did with the Bears' picks. If Manning signed with KC instead of Denver, does anyone think the Broncos would be where they are now?

bucksandy34

• Walk-On
« Reply #2436 on: January 31, 2014, 03:13:45 PM »
Isn't it possible that both teams won? It's not a matter of whether one team has done better than the other since the trade so much as whether the trade helped each individual team. Instead of looking at Bears vs. Broncos, the trade should be judged in terms of pre-trade Bears vs. post-trade Bears and pre-trade Broncos vs. post-trade Broncos.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #2437 on: January 31, 2014, 03:29:30 PM »
Isn't it possible that both teams won? It's not a matter of whether one team has done better than the other since the trade so much as whether the trade helped each individual team. Instead of looking at Bears vs. Broncos, the trade should be judged in terms of pre-trade Bears vs. post-trade Bears and pre-trade Broncos vs. post-trade Broncos.

I agree, plus too many what-ifs that factor into where both teams are right now. 

To be honest I think this article only proves that both teams won out of the deal.  Brandon Marshall signing with the Bears is also a direct correlation to the Cutler trade.

brandx

« Reply #2438 on: January 31, 2014, 05:13:36 PM »
The Broncos won the trade because it led to them drafting Tebow, dumping Tebow and signing Peyton Manning. It really didn't have much to do with Cutler himself or what Denver did with the Bears' picks. If Manning signed with KC instead of Denver, does anyone think the Broncos would be where they are now?

I'll dump on Cutler at any opportunity, but your post is spot on.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #2439 on: January 31, 2014, 06:59:12 PM »
I agree, plus too many what-ifs that factor into where both teams are right now. 

To be honest I think this article only proves that both teams won out of the deal.  Brandon Marshall signing with the Bears is also a direct correlation to the Cutler trade.

Agreed.  And as gifted and talented as Alshon Jeffery is, he really blew up under Marshall's tutelage.  AJ had many rookie mistakes (offensive PI/holding) in his injury-shortened first season, and I believe Marshall sped along his education as an elite WR.

feedback