collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread  (Read 443829 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: 2013 NFC North/NFL Thread
« Reply #2000 on: December 29, 2013, 09:31:08 PM »
So Marshall made a nice catch?  Congratulations to him.  It's much like Jay Cutler.  Can Marshall make a play here or there that Jordy can't?  Sure.  I'll give you that.  But if it's 3rd and 7 and I need one guy to make a play for me, do I want Marshall or Jordy on my team?  Jordy, without a question.  That's why he had 167 receiving yards today.

Dude, I love Jordy, he can play for my team any day.

If you prefer him over Marshall, that's fine, whatever. Nelson is much more valuable to Green Bay than he would be on say the Jets. Marshall/Jeffrey would have similar value on the Jets. If you're a Packer fan, just enjoy Nelson's ability and go with it

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2001 on: December 29, 2013, 09:32:11 PM »
Marshall's put up huge numbers as a #1 for a long time.

Jordy had a little drop in production when he became #1 receiver.  Both are good but I'd give edge to Marshall.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2002 on: December 29, 2013, 09:45:22 PM »
On an unrelated note, how do the Browns fire their head coach after 1 season, a season in which they traded away their 1 big name (who is proving to not be all that great of an NFL running back) and had absolutely no talent on the roster?  I'd be more worried about the GM...

Because they're the Browns (a racist name by the way)

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2003 on: December 29, 2013, 10:01:06 PM »
Eagles should have gone for two there.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2004 on: December 29, 2013, 10:03:02 PM »
Eagles should have gone for two there.

Disagree, they did the right thing.  Make Dallas score a TD and a 2 point conversion just to tie you.  The way Dallas offense is going, that would be very difficult.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2005 on: December 29, 2013, 10:36:13 PM »
Disagree, they did the right thing.  Make Dallas score a TD and a 2 point conversion just to tie you.  The way Dallas offense is going, that would be very difficult.

You are correct. Always take the automatic 1 up 7.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2006 on: December 29, 2013, 10:41:50 PM »

Ended up working out, however, you have to look at value of possessions.

At that juncture, Pokes only had a max of two possessions left in the game. If you go for 2 and get it, you still control the game. Dallas has to score on both possessions, one of which has to be a TD.

I give you it's not conventional, but being up 9 with 6 mins left is huge. Not many coaches would do it, but its more than worth considering there.

Sorry about your Pokes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2007 on: December 29, 2013, 11:14:46 PM »
Ended up working out, however, you have to look at value of possessions.

At that juncture, Pokes only had a max of two possessions left in the game. If you go for 2 and get it, you still control the game. Dallas has to score on both possessions, one of which has to be a TD.

I give you it's not conventional, but being up 9 with 6 mins left is huge. Not many coaches would do it, but its more than worth considering there.

Sorry about your Pokes.

I'm not....it's become so routine it's hard to even care that much anymore.  That is so sad to say...I was a kid that used to work for this team when their training camp was in my home town.  But it's the same story each and every year.  Some great talent at some positions, below average talent at others, no depth, and an owner that wants to be the star of the show.  That creates chaos, distractions, dumb personnel moves and is a perfect recipe for mediocrity.  Yet I keep coming back for more, but I don't let it kill me like it used to.  I just chuckle. 

I still think it is the right call to not go for 2.  It's a percentage play and Kelly was playing the percentages.  The worst that could happen to him was he was in a tie. 

The right move is to fire Jason tomorrow.  I don't know if JJ can pull the trigger.  I like JG, super nice guy, very smart, but doesn't have the leadership qualities needed for that position to take on the owner, to control his team and to guide them.  Of course, JJ won't hire anyone that fits that role either.

brandx

« Reply #2008 on: December 29, 2013, 11:17:47 PM »
My head hurts. Also my kids are great, thanks.

If Jordy Nelson is so good, as YOU stated...I'll repeat, as YOU stated, shouldn't he put up big numbers no matter who is at QB? Dude, you keep making yourself look like a fool, seriously, why don't you take a breather champ.

Think Larry Fitzgerald with the parade of clowns last year or Greg Jennings this year with Ponder

brandx

« Reply #2009 on: December 29, 2013, 11:23:21 PM »
Marshall's put up huge numbers as a #1 for a long time.

Jordy had a little drop in production when he became #1 receiver.  Both are good but I'd give edge to Marshall.

Despite having Wallace, Tolzien, and Flynn throwing to him for half the season, he set a career high in receptions and had his 2nd best year in yards.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2010 on: December 29, 2013, 11:29:36 PM »
Think Larry Fitzgerald with the parade of clowns last year or Greg Jennings this year with Ponder

Josh Gordon and Andre Johnson would like to speak to you...

T.V. Diener 34

• All American
« Reply #2011 on: December 29, 2013, 11:34:34 PM »
Ladies Ladies Ladies..... enough with the bickering... there are two facts that we know after tonight... the Pack won the division yet again and the Bears will watch the playoffs from home YET AGAIN.... that's it.... no need for all the extracurriculars but Bears fans we could use some help on D next week against San Fran if you're offering  :D

brandx

« Reply #2012 on: December 29, 2013, 11:45:22 PM »
Ladies Ladies Ladies..... enough with the bickering... there are two facts that we know after tonight... the Pack won the division yet again and the Bears will watch the playoffs from home YET AGAIN.... that's it.... no need for all the extracurriculars but Bears fans we could use some help on D next week against San Fran if you're offering  :D

You're right and I actually was hoping the Pack would lose this week as either team is a 1 and done. I'm worried now that making the playoffs and, god forbid, winning a game may mask the coaching problems.

Capers has to go. We continue to have many many plays with guys out of position game after game - above and beyond the fact that we have no one that can tackle. And the linebackers are a joke. Are they ever in position to make a good tackle?

But it's not just Capers. Micah Hyde has played very well as the kickoff returner, so what do they do today? Change the return scheme entirely.
The Bears had to be jumping for joy when they saw Khalil Bell back there on kickoffs. So first, you basically give up your best returner, but then to add insult to injury, you have one less blocker.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2013 on: December 29, 2013, 11:54:42 PM »
I don't know if Mallett is the answer, but I think if the Pats are going to trade him, it'd have to be this offseason. He'll be 26 going into next year, free agent after 2014 season. No idea if he'd be good or not, but if a team misses out on Bridgwater/Hundley/Mariotta, he'd be at least an inexpensive alternative (minus draft pick compensation).

I said this back in October, and it looks like it's gonna happen.

Mallet to Cleveland.

T.V. Diener 34

• All American
« Reply #2014 on: December 30, 2013, 12:05:51 AM »
I'm telling everyone... it says so much that McCarthy has so little faith in our defense that he kicks the extra point to be down 1 point in the fourth quarter with a putrid defense.  The thinking is that if the Bears go down the field and score a TD we're still down 1 possession.  I think it's definitely a sign Capers will be fired after this year.  There's really no other rational thought to not go for 2 in that situation unless you have zero faith in your defense.....

brandx

« Reply #2015 on: December 30, 2013, 12:09:20 AM »
I said this back in October, and it looks like it's gonna happen.

Mallet to Cleveland.

It will be interesting because there are a lot of decent QBs coming out this year. Should be quite a few in the first 2 rounds so it's all about picking the right guy as a couple will turn out to be pretty good and a couple will be busts.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2016 on: December 30, 2013, 12:16:48 AM »
It will be interesting because there are a lot of decent QBs coming out this year. Should be quite a few in the first 2 rounds so it's all about picking the right guy as a couple will turn out to be pretty good and a couple will be busts.

Cleveland fired Chud now so they can interview McDaniels asap while NE is on bye.

Belief is Lombardi/Banner believe they can win now (I agree) and will look for a veteran QB instead of drafting a rookie.

My guess is if a deal is made, the Browns will swap the rights to Colts first rounder for Pats first rounder, assuming Pats go further in playoffs, and a mid/late round pick in 2015.

brandx

« Reply #2017 on: December 30, 2013, 12:18:34 AM »
Cleveland fired Chud now so they can interview McDaniels asap while NE is on bye.

Belief is Lombardi/Banner believe they can win now (I agree) and will look for a veteran QB instead of drafting a rookie.

My guess is if a deal is made, the Browns will swap the rights to Colts first rounder for Pats first rounder, assuming Pats go further in playoffs, and a mid/late round pick in 2015.

Deals are hard to predict in NFL, but it makes sense.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2018 on: December 30, 2013, 05:55:11 AM »
I'd rather be straight and lose than be gay and win.

Apologies to white men can't jump.

So let's see, you're from Illinois, but reside in Madison. Sounds like you're conflicted, a'ina?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:56:13 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2019 on: December 30, 2013, 07:58:42 AM »
Can I send you a mirror so you can ask yourself these questions?

I'm not sure. You said Nelson/Cobb are the best. By virtue of that, especially without Cobb, Nelson (since he is the best) should put up huge numbers. As you stated, with limited other WR/TE options, Wallace and Tolzien should be throwing to Nelson every time. The Pack picked those guys as their back up QB's, not me. He didn't put up numbers with backup QB's. Marshall/Jeffrey did.

Since today was apparently the only game that ever mattered, would Nelson have made that TD catch Marshall made? No.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but you are overstating it a bit. The gap between Nelson and Marshall is not as wide as you are making it out to be. 

You are wrong about Nelson not making that catch.  Maybe you are not paying attention but Nelson has made some un-fricking believable catches this year. I have watched the NFL for a long time and some of his catches are right up there with the best and he does it on a regular basis. Go back and look for yourself, but go ahead and under rate Nelson, most teams have and most teams continue to get torched.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2020 on: December 30, 2013, 09:01:16 AM »

So let's see, you're from Illinois, but reside in Madison. Sounds like you're conflicted, a'ina?

I'm forced to live in Madison.  I'm a Bears fan from birth.  I'm a missionary behind enemy lines.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2021 on: December 30, 2013, 09:02:12 AM »
Rod Chudzinski is a very good offensive coach..give him someone with a little talent and composure at qb.....   Browns look like a train wreck and putting your chips on Ryan Mallett??

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2022 on: December 30, 2013, 09:22:53 AM »
I'm forced to live in Madison.  I'm a Bears fan from birth.  I'm a missionary behind enemy lines.

It may be more enjoyable takin' a different position.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2023 on: December 30, 2013, 10:07:07 AM »
You're right and I actually was hoping the Pack would lose this week as either team is a 1 and done. I'm worried now that making the playoffs and, god forbid, winning a game may mask the coaching problems.

Capers has to go. We continue to have many many plays with guys out of position game after game - above and beyond the fact that we have no one that can tackle. And the linebackers are a joke. Are they ever in position to make a good tackle?

But it's not just Capers. Micah Hyde has played very well as the kickoff returner, so what do they do today? Change the return scheme entirely.
The Bears had to be jumping for joy when they saw Khalil Bell back there on kickoffs. So first, you basically give up your best returner, but then to add insult to injury, you have one less blocker.

Never hope for my team to lose, especially against the Bears, but you're right, Capers has to go.

I really hope TT focuses this draft on the defense, especially the line. Our run D was atrocious all year. I also hope we keep Flynn as a backup QB. He clearly knows the system and is comfortable in it. With a full training camp he will be a very serviceable backup.

All that said, if Rogers doesn't go down for 8 games this was probably an 11-5 (maybe even better) team and Cheeseheads wouldn't be as restless about Dom and the defense.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 10:11:07 AM by Bleuteaux »

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #2024 on: December 30, 2013, 10:31:33 AM »
The back end of the Packers' defense is at least as troubling as the D line.  Morgan Burnett is average at best, and M.D. Jennings/Jeronne McMillan/Chris Banjo/Sean Richardson had me flashing back to the Mark Roman days.  TT needs to draft at least one safety.

FWIW, I like Richardson enough as a developmental project, but he's not good enough now to be playing more than a few snaps.

feedback