[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Washington rids itself of sexist language  (Read 93853 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Washington rids itself of sexist language
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2013, 01:49:39 PM »
Isn't per"son" as sexist as hu"man"

perchildperchild....corrected  :P
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2013, 06:18:47 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/washington-state-gets-rid-sexist-language-162549523.html

"Fisherman" is now "fisher."  Keefe, what's the sentiment over there in Washington?  Are gender-specific pronouns doomed over there in Seattle?

I went down to Ballard today where the commercial fishing fleet hangs out. The facility is still named  the "Fisherman's Terminal." I bought a salmon off one of the boats. As I handed over my money I asked the Captain about changing his title from 'fisherman' to 'fisher.' He replied, "That's f#cking stupid." Pure eloquence. W.H. Auden could not have captured the insanity better.

Death on call

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2013, 07:47:05 AM »
It's crazy what politically correct a$$-holes come up with when they're bored.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2013, 08:23:24 AM »
Good read, thanks for sharing.  I appreciated the part about the business aspect and certainly realize that gov't isn't business...we can debate whether it should be run that way or not.  We have extremely complex models we use to prove out short term and long term ROI on any number of things and good to see the gov't trying to do the same thing.  What will get the pols fighting about is the definitions of success, failure, etc....that's where stats can prove anything you want them to prove, or sometimes despite what they prove it doesn't matter because they will spend it anyway for any number of reasons.

Again, thanks for sharing.

I agree with all of this, but I think the problem is that potential solutions get lost in the political wash...too many interests have a vested interest to not change anything.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2013, 09:06:44 AM »
It's crazy what politically correct a$$-holes come up with when they're bored.

Even crazier when they become the law of the land.  They can all get bent.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2013, 09:07:15 AM »

I agree with all of this, but I think the problem is that potential solutions get lost in the political wash...too many interests have a vested interest to not change anything.

That's why it won't change

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2013, 11:05:52 AM »
Actually it might be even more sexist to refer to the new co-eds on campus as "fresh women".

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2013, 12:37:31 PM »
I'm sorry, but that's just not good enough for me.

Good Government policy can't be derived from from "My cousin is a dumbass and must be stopped!"

I've heard of billionaires paying very little taxes and sending their money off shore. Now, just because I have "heard of it" doesn't mean we need to undertake a bunch of government legislation. It might be a huge waste of time and money.

Governmental action needs to be based upon good data, not conjecture and political posturing.

Let's spend some time figuring out the BIG problems in the county. I'm not sure chasing down waterskiing firemen is the magic bullet we are all looking for.

Get the data. Prioritize. Work big to small. Triage.

EDIT: I'm going to have to spend some more time with the forbes stuff.

More info out today....not at all shocking.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/exography-many-disability-recipients-admit-they-could-work/article/2533626

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Seattle not done
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2013, 09:12:25 AM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2013, 09:21:18 AM »
"Citizens" and "brown bag" now a problem

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/02/seattle-officials-call-for-ban-on-potentially-offensive-language/

Thanks for the update.  Not sure why you care so much about language usage in Seattle...

Eldon

• All American
Re: Seattle not done
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2013, 09:54:57 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/02/seattle-officials-call-for-ban-on-potentially-offensive-language/

'Citizen' is offensive? No. Nobody has ever been offended by that word and never will be. If someone had told me that that was a banned word, i would have thought they were joking.

If citizen is offensive to noncitizens, why isnt resident to non-residents?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2013, 10:02:34 AM »

#1 This crap is insane. I can't believe we are wasting time on it. So stupid.

#2 Honest question for you Chico's: Do you search the internet for things that make you mad, or do they just find you? I'm really not trying to be an a-hole, but you seem to post links to a lot of stuff that makes you upset. Are you actively looking for this stuff?

I don't think I could research and find so much stuff I hate everyday. I think it would wear me out.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2013, 12:10:03 PM »

#2 Honest question for you Chico's: Do you search the internet for things that make you mad, or do they just find you? I'm really not trying to be an a-hole, but you seem to post links to a lot of stuff that makes you upset. Are you actively looking for this stuff?

I don't think I could research and find so much stuff I hate everyday. I think it would wear me out.

You're kidding right?  He lives for this kind of thing.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2013, 12:30:46 PM »
you'd have to have a certain set of values to understand.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2013, 12:33:57 PM »
and what values might those be?  Please elaborate.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2013, 12:35:55 PM »

He is well on the way to "get off my lawn" existence.  He probably does it already.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2013, 12:52:39 PM »

That's perfect.

Help me understand, that's what I'm asking.

What values are talking about?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2013, 12:59:54 PM »
Sucks...  Citizen Coffee was one of my favorite places for breakfast in Seattle. Maybe it will become  "Comrade"

reinko

• All American
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2013, 01:10:31 PM »

Exactly, you have to value feigning outrage, talking about how things used to be, and basically act like this guy when you read stories like this, the war on Christmas, illegal immigrants invading neighborhoods...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2013, 01:56:31 PM »
Exactly, you have to value feigning outrage, talking about how things used to be, and basically act like this guy when you read stories like this, the war on Christmas, illegal immigrants invading neighborhoods...

Seems to me the "outraged" in this discussion are the members of the Office for Civil Rights in Seattle. They're the ones banning words like citizen and phrases like "brown bag".

I think it's just silly, but if my tax dollars were going to paying government employees who were wasting time on this sort of stuff I'd be pissed.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2013, 02:24:51 PM »
The Seattle stuff is stupid.

I have no idea what the thought process is there. It sounds like an article from The Onion.

BUT... realistically, I don't care. I just can't muster up enough energy to be upset.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2013, 03:59:14 PM »

Thanks for the update.  Not sure why you care so much about language usage in Seattle...

I care about the absurdity of it all and people getting even "brighter" ideas that find themselves permeating various aspects of life. Besides, I'd hate to do one of my business trips up to Seattle and accidentally call someone a citizen not knowing the grave international damage it is doing to non-citizens.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2013, 04:01:47 PM »

Honest answer for you....they find me.  Usually from people at work, friends, Cato institute, Drudge, Huff Post, stuff like that....usually in my emails delivered.

More honesty, most of this stuff doesn't make me mad....usually makes me laugh or sad, depending on what it is. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2013, 04:03:57 PM »

He is well on the way to "get off my lawn" existence.  He probably does it already.

You bet, I cut that lawn every week myself.  Those blades are tenderly cared for, nurtured, etc.  Unlike the other 99% of folks in my hood that have someone do it for them (nearly all of them illegal).  If I wanted people on my lawn, I wouldn't have a lawn, I'd have a circus or a mall or a park.   ;D 

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2013, 04:34:12 PM »
That's perfect.

Help me understand, that's what I'm asking.

What values are talking about?

Sure. I guess some of it has to do with my age and I confess to having occasional twinges of nostalgia about the post war era when I grew up.  The values I refer to are pretty standard but are constantly under assault: rule of law, personal property rights, a belief in equal opportunity not equal outcomes, taking personal responsibility for openers.  Nothing too unusual.