[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Washington rids itself of sexist language  (Read 93830 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Washington rids itself of sexist language
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2013, 04:53:28 PM »

Sure. I guess some of it has to do with my age and I confess to having occasional twinges of nostalgia about the post war era when I grew up.  The values I refer to are pretty standard but are constantly under assault: rule of law, personal property rights, a belief in equal opportunity not equal outcomes, taking personal responsibility for openers.  Nothing too unusual.

Yea, I get where you are coming from...

I guess for me, I have a set of values and ethics that I live by.

However, I don't actively seek out opportunities for me to complain about people who don't have the same values or ethics. I don't think it's unique to "conservatives" or "liberals". I just feel like some people put a lot of energy into stirring themselves up, and I'm not exactly sure why. It seems exhausting to me. I don't have the emotional energy for it.

AM radio has made an industry out of it. Both in it's political and sports format.

I'm just curious how/why some people seem to look for opportunities to be disappointed.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
Re: Seattle not done
« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2013, 04:58:13 PM »
Honest answer for you....they find me.  Usually from people at work, friends, Cato institute, Drudge, Huff Post, stuff like that....usually in my emails delivered.

More honesty, most of this stuff doesn't make me mad....usually makes me laugh or sad, depending on what it is. 

Not to nitpick, but you could easily avoid some of that stuff, right?

I know some people that read Drudge religiously, and it basically just gives them topics to bitch about. I haven't had the guts (yet) to ask them why they even read it if they are just going to bitch.

Now, I'm not saying people should only read stuff they agree with, but there is a percentage of the population who seems to like to be upset... at least in my unscientific research.

It just seems exhausting to me.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2013, 05:02:20 PM »
Yea, I get where you are coming from...

I guess for me, I have a set of values and ethics that I live by.

However, I don't actively seek out opportunities for me to complain about people who don't have the same values or ethics. I don't think it's unique to "conservatives" or "liberals". I just feel like some people put a lot of energy into stirring themselves up, and I'm not exactly sure why. It seems exhausting to me. I don't have the emotional energy for it.

AM radio has made an industry out of it. Both in it's political and sports format.

I'm just curious how/why some people seem to look for opportunities to be disappointed.

Don't forget the victimization.  Everyone is a victim these days.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2013, 07:28:36 PM »
Not to nitpick, but you could easily avoid some of that stuff, right?

I know some people that read Drudge religiously, and it basically just gives them topics to bitch about. I haven't had the guts (yet) to ask them why they even read it if they are just going to bitch.

Now, I'm not saying people should only read stuff they agree with, but there is a percentage of the population who seems to like to be upset... at least in my unscientific research.

It just seems exhausting to me.

Too much confirmation bias out there in my opinion.  People only read their narrow focus in life and then they are shocked when some other viewpoints are out there.  I try to read the WaPost or NY Times every day, the WSJ....in my office I typically have CNN, FOX and MSNBC on....a bit of everything. 

Yes, I could avoid it, but I guess I don't see the point.  Why bury the head in the sand.  It's the little things, death a 1000 cuts, the slow creep that happens and next thing you know you wake up one day and say WTF. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2013, 07:29:35 PM »

I'd say it goes WAY beyond those two mediums. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2013, 08:14:20 AM »
Too much confirmation bias out there in my opinion.  People only read their narrow focus in life and then they are shocked when some other viewpoints are out there.  I try to read the WaPost or NY Times every day, the WSJ....in my office I typically have CNN, FOX and MSNBC on....a bit of everything.  

Yes, I could avoid it, but I guess I don't see the point.  Why bury the head in the sand.  It's the little things, death a 1000 cuts, the slow creep that happens and next thing you know you wake up one day and say WTF.  

I hear ya about confirmation bias. I try to watch/read and listen to some people I don't always agree with to see if I am missing something in my viewpoint.

It seems like you chose to consume a ton of media and information. I just don't consume that much. I'm not that into politics, I hate TMZ, and I'm not into 24hr news because I don't think there is news 24 hrs per day.

I read a couple different news sites and catch the evening news a couple nights per week. That's it. I guess that's probably the difference. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

As far as the "death by a thousand cuts": In the 1950's, they said the same thing about civil rights and Elvis' pelvis. In the 60's, it was the Beatles and hippies that destroyed America, and so on and so forth. America will always be evolving. It's never going to be comfortable for everybody.

Now, this doesn't mean people shouldn't take a stand for something you believe in, but maybe people should focus less energy on the "cuts", and spend more energy on the important stuff.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 08:16:13 AM by Guns n Ammo »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2013, 10:02:59 AM »
Yes, they said some of those things back then.  The use of language and what we find offensive (according to some) is an interesting one.  I guess Charlie Rangel yesterday saying certain folks are just white crackers is ok still....I'm also interested in how some people can get away with stuff constantly with maybe a slap on the wrist and others are sent directly to the 7th circle of hell by the media and those crying outrage.

So the article on Seattle with words like Citizen being a problem makes me laugh because it only exposes the nutjobs for what they are...complete nutjobs.  The more either side does it, the better in my opinion.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2013, 12:26:03 PM »
Too much confirmation bias out there in my opinion.  People only read their narrow focus in life and then they are shocked when some other viewpoints are out there.  I try to read the WaPost or NY Times every day, the WSJ....in my office I typically have CNN, FOX and MSNBC on....a bit of everything. 

Yes, I could avoid it, but I guess I don't see the point.  Why bury the head in the sand.  It's the little things, death a 1000 cuts, the slow creep that happens and next thing you know you wake up one day and say WTF. 

I am with you. Its not so much what they report as to what they don't report. What happened to Who, What, Where and When in journalism. Now its all about their particular agenda.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2013, 10:44:36 AM »
Yes, they said some of those things back then.  The use of language and what we find offensive (according to some) is an interesting one.  I guess Charlie Rangel yesterday saying certain folks are just white crackers is ok still....I'm also interested in how some people can get away with stuff constantly with maybe a slap on the wrist and others are sent directly to the 7th circle of hell by the media and those crying outrage.

So the article on Seattle with words like Citizen being a problem makes me laugh because it only exposes the nutjobs for what they are...complete nutjobs.  The more either side does it, the better in my opinion.

I'm sorry, I just can't work up enough emotion to care about who calls white people crackers. I don't care. It doesn't matter.

By that same token, the Seattle "citizen" vs "resident" thing is stupid too. I don't care. It's dumb. Move on, everybody. 

With all of this said, not every change to society is part of it's ultimate demise. I'm less worried about kids with jeans hanging off their butts, and I'm more concerned about the baby boom generation in retirement and their healthcare requirements. I'm concerned about renewable energy, and clean fresh water sources, etc. etc.   

I think sometimes people focus too much on the little stuff, working under the assumption that it's the little stuff that leads to big stuff. I'm just not convinced society works in such a linear manner. Sometimes little stuff is just little stuff, and we need to leave it alone.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2013, 11:50:54 AM »
I'm sorry, I just can't work up enough emotion to care about who calls white people crackers. I don't care. It doesn't matter.

By that same token, the Seattle "citizen" vs "resident" thing is stupid too. I don't care. It's dumb. Move on, everybody. 

With all of this said, not every change to society is part of it's ultimate demise. I'm less worried about kids with jeans hanging off their butts, and I'm more concerned about the baby boom generation in retirement and their healthcare requirements. I'm concerned about renewable energy, and clean fresh water sources, etc. etc.   

I think sometimes people focus too much on the little stuff, working under the assumption that it's the little stuff that leads to big stuff. I'm just not convinced society works in such a linear manner. Sometimes little stuff is just little stuff, and we need to leave it alone.

I agree that "we" need to leave it alone, but who are the "we" who initiated this silliness? Not Chicos or anyone else of his ilk. Tell the language police in Seattle to leave it alone - they're the one's who decided this was a weighty enough issue to spend our time and money on - Chicos is only reacting to their stupidity, as should we all.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2013, 01:11:18 PM »

Double standard, isn't it?  You don't care about somebody using the term "white cracker" but drop the N word or or use an indian symbol as a mascot and it's a federal case.  I think it's the hypocrisy of the whole deal that pisses people off.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2013, 09:19:31 PM »

I get worked up about it because if someone from a certain political ideology said the equivalent, there would be calls for resignation, etc in full throat.  The double standards are incredible and largely led by our "impartial" media (LOL).

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2013, 08:35:02 AM »
I agree that "we" need to leave it alone, but who are the "we" who initiated this silliness? Not Chicos or anyone else of his ilk. Tell the language police in Seattle to leave it alone - they're the one's who decided this was a weighty enough issue to spend our time and money on - Chicos is only reacting to their stupidity, as should we all.

I agree that the Seattle stuff is stupid.

However, sometimes I think people's reactions to this stuff is a bit over the top.

If Seattle wants to enact silly language rules, go for it. I don't care. I'll let people in Seattle worry about it. I don't think it's the start or continuation of some sort of decline of American civilization, or death by a thousand cuts.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2013, 08:41:23 AM »
  Double standard, isn't it?  You don't care about somebody using the term "white cracker" but drop the N word or or use an indian symbol as a mascot and it's a federal case.  I think it's the hypocrisy of the whole deal that pisses people off.

Absolutely it's a double standard. I understand logic well enough to know that.

However, society is filled with double standards. Black colleges, women's-only gyms, etc. etc, yet Augusta National draws all of the attention.

With this said, I'm not sure we need to make our stand against hypocrisy with "cracker" vs "n-word". I don't think there is anything to gain there.

I'm not mashing my teeth over that one, nor do I think anybody should. It's waaaaaay down the list of social injustice.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
I get worked up about it because if someone from a certain political ideology said the equivalent, there would be calls for resignation, etc in full throat.  The double standards are incredible and largely led by our "impartial" media (LOL).

Honestly, I don't follow politics or media closely enough to tell you if you are right or wrong.

I have a general idea of which news organizations have a slant, and I take their stories with a grain of salt. I guess that's as far as I go with this stuff.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2013, 08:49:26 AM »
I agree that the Seattle stuff is stupid.

However, sometimes I think people's reactions to this stuff is a bit over the top.

If Seattle wants to enact silly language rules, go for it. I don't care. I'll let people in Seattle worry about it. I don't think it's the start or continuation of some sort of decline of American civilization, or death by a thousand cuts.

You want government to identify and solve the big problems and leave the little stuff alone, but if the government of Seattle wants to waste their time on the silliest of stuff your response is "I don't care, go for it".So you're being inconsistent, espousing diametrically opposing views. Why?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2013, 09:11:13 AM »
You want government to identify and solve the big problems and leave the little stuff alone, but if the government of Seattle wants to waste their time on the silliest of stuff your response is "I don't care, go for it".So you're being inconsistent, espousing diametrically opposing views. Why?

Because it's Seattle's problem. Not Milwaukee's.

I mean, I don't like what they are doing, and if I lived in Seattle, I suppose I would do something about it.

I don't like taxpayer funded stadiums, but I'm not going to read Miami newspaper's everyday to see stories about the Marlin's ballpark and then mash my teeth and shake my fist.

I just don't have the time or energy to worry about everything that comes up around the country, and that was my initial question to Chico's. Do you find this stuff everyday, or does it find you?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2013, 02:55:14 PM »
Because it's Seattle's problem. Not Milwaukee's.

I mean, I don't like what they are doing, and if I lived in Seattle, I suppose I would do something about it.

I don't like taxpayer funded stadiums, but I'm not going to read Miami newspaper's everyday to see stories about the Marlin's ballpark and then mash my teeth and shake my fist.

I just don't have the time or energy to worry about everything that comes up around the country, and that was my initial question to Chico's. Do you find this stuff everyday, or does it find you?

if I travel to Seattle it becomes my problem!  I don't and haven't liked the trend.  First Seattle, then the state, then Oregon and CA think it's a good idea, not long after, the ultra left east coast, not to be out-libbed, outlaws the offensive terms and decides to go further by banning soda.  Oh wait.... 

In a nutshell, I'm tired of others having the right to call me names while I am prohibited from replying in kind.  Is it a small thing?  Maybe, but if someone doesn't stand up to the crazies you wind up with, well, Obamacare!   I know it's not exactly analogous, but you're starting to sound like rodham at the Benghazi hearings.  What does it matter...... 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2013, 03:00:35 PM »
if I travel to Seattle it becomes my problem!  I don't and haven't liked the trend.  First Seattle, then the state, then Oregon and CA think it's a good idea, not long after, the ultra left east coast, not to be out-libbed, outlaws the offensive terms and decides to go further by banning soda.  Oh wait....  

In a nutshell, I'm tired of others having the right to call me names while I am prohibited from replying in kind.  Is it a small thing?  Maybe, but if someone doesn't stand up to the crazies you wind up with, well, Obamacare!   I know it's not exactly analogous, but you're starting to sound like rodham at the Benghazi hearings.  What does it matter......  

Well OK...I guess we just got a bunch of conser-vo-talk that really wasn't relevant to the issue at hand.

BTW I travel to Seattle regularly and this wont impact me one bit.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 03:02:28 PM by Terror Skink »

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2013, 03:05:27 PM »

Well OK...I guess we just on a bunch of conser-vo-talk that really wasn't relevant to the issue at hand.

BTW I travel to Seattle regularly and this wont impact me one bit.

Sure, because you are willing to conform to this idiotic statute.  Let's just give away a little bit more of our freedom to satisfy some oversensitive liberals in Seattle.  Chief Seattle must have been a pacifist! 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2013, 03:18:43 PM »
Sure, because you are willing to conform to this idiotic statute.  Let's just give away a little bit more of our freedom to satisfy some oversensitive liberals in Seattle.  Chief Seattle must have been a pacifist! 

Should this be in teal?  I don't "conform" to anything more than I do in my nice little midwestern city.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2013, 03:21:17 PM »

Should this be in teal?  I don't "conform" to anything more than I do in my nice little midwestern city.
Are you allowed to use the term "citizen"  in your nice little midwestern city?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2013, 03:27:28 PM »
If you haven't seen Portlandia you are missing some pretty funny stuff. Left Coast PC taken to its absurd limits. Not far from reality though as I am reminded each time I am there. Humor that even Portlanders find funny about themselves.
At Powells book store the cashier and I were amusing ourselves recounting episodes and she told me that she has heard of people moving their apartments by bicycle.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2013, 03:31:31 PM »

Sure.  But I don't use the term "citizen" anyway.  But I could call people it all day in Seattle and be just fine

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2013, 03:31:48 PM »
How often do you actually use the term "Citizen" or "brown bag" in your daily conversation?  I probably have never uttered the words "brown bag" in my life.  Citizen maybe slightly more often.  

I haven't been to Seattle in 10-12 years.

So does this have ANY impact my life?  Not in the least.  Thus, I don't give a sh!t.  

Like Ammo says, this is a LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG way down on the list of things that I am going to worry about.  If you choose to let yourself get all bent out of shape about it, that's on you.