[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Washington rids itself of sexist language  (Read 93777 times)

brandx

Re: Washington rids itself of sexist language
« Reply #350 on: August 27, 2013, 06:50:42 PM »
HMMM. Wanting lower taxes and smaller government is the standard of low intelligence?  Quite the opposite.
I'm not a member BUT That's ALL they espouse.

When a higher percentage of the party thinks Obama is more responsible than Bush for the Katrina debacle - yes that is the standard for low intelligence.

As far as lower taxes - they are the same people who supported unprecedented spending under GBII.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #351 on: August 27, 2013, 07:04:44 PM »
If we can get the race hustlers \ race baiters out of the equation, we might have a chance.  If not, then it will take that much longer.  Too many people profit from division, real or manufactured.  We also need to have people start to look inward and address their own issues and not constantly blame everyone else.  With the divorce rate, out of wedlock kids, etc in some of these communities, that's going to be even harder.  All hail Bill Cosby and others for daring to speak about it.
Yet another post laying the blame for the current state of race relations in the US entirely on the African American community.  Unbelievable in its arrogance and lack of any real perspective except that provided on Fox News. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #352 on: August 27, 2013, 10:24:27 PM »
If we can get the race hustlers \ race baiters out of the equation, we might have a chance.  If not, then it will take that much longer.  Too many people profit from division, real or manufactured.  We also need to have people start to look inward and address their own issues and not constantly blame everyone else.  With the divorce rate, out of wedlock kids, etc in some of these communities, that's going to be even harder.  All hail Bill Cosby and others for daring to speak about it.

Maybe worry about the hate groups and hate crimes first? Then we can move on to Al Sharpton.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #353 on: August 27, 2013, 10:44:11 PM »
You want to get a feel for where Al Sharpton is coming from regarding hate crimes? Really? A guy who is unapologetic about the deaths he's caused trumpeting hate crimes that never happened or were obvious accidents? His BUSINESS is black victim, white perp and in his twisted mind every real or made up instance is by definition a hate crime.

Lenny, I apologize for any confusions.  The internet can be a hard place to get your point across sometime.  My reference was vague.  I was not implying that I wanted to get a feel for where Al Sharpton is coming from.  I agree that is pretty clear. 

I was trying to get a feel from where Chicos is coming from.  Perhaps, specific examples of crimes that were prosescuted as hate crimes, that indeed shouldn't qualify.

The point was, that the cases he (chicos) is referring to as hate crimes here, do not qualify as hate crimes.  It seems like he wants these people to be up in arms calling for hate crimes in situations where they do not fit.  It appeared to me as if this was motivated by cases where Sharpton/MLK got hate crime charges to go through (prosecuted) in the reverse cases (white on black crime).  If this were the case I was wondering if Chicos could instead bring those examples up, as they would help me understand his (chicos) position better. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #354 on: August 27, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
When a higher percentage of the party thinks Obama is more responsible than Bush for the Katrina debacle - yes that is the standard for low intelligence.

As far as lower taxes - they are the same people who supported unprecedented spending under GBII.

Maybe they were confusing Obama with Mayor Nagin.   ;)  

274 people took the poll, by the way.  Normally a poll that is statistically significant needs a higher number than that depending on the level of confidence and how many people the representation is supposed to be.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:52:24 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #355 on: August 27, 2013, 10:47:24 PM »
Maybe worry about the hate groups and hate crimes first? Then we can move on to Al Sharpton.

I put Al Sharpton SQUARELY into the hate groups camp, so fine by me.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #356 on: August 27, 2013, 10:49:20 PM »
Yet another post laying the blame for the current state of race relations in the US entirely on the African American community.  Unbelievable in its arrogance and lack of any real perspective except that provided on Fox News.  

Then I would suggest you read some of my other posts then, because it's pretty clear that I have not done that.  What I said is there is some own housecleaning that has to be done (BY BOTH SIDES), but I also said there is definitely some major issues with the African American community...those are direct words from some of my friends who are African Americans.  Their words, not mine.....their REAL PERSPECTIVE....I suppose they're just Uncle Toms (trust me, they've been called that before).  Otherwise, great post by you...solid as usual.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:53:21 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #357 on: August 27, 2013, 10:51:40 PM »
Lenny, I apologize for any confusions.  The internet can be a hard place to get your point across sometime.  My reference was vague.  I was not implying that I wanted to get a feel for where Al Sharpton is coming from.  I agree that is pretty clear. 

I was trying to get a feel from where Chicos is coming from.  Perhaps, specific examples of crimes that were prosescuted as hate crimes, that indeed shouldn't qualify.

The point was, that the cases he (chicos) is referring to as hate crimes here, do not qualify as hate crimes.  It seems like he wants these people to be up in arms calling for hate crimes in situations where they do not fit.  It appeared to me as if this was motivated by cases where Sharpton/MLK got hate crime charges to go through (prosecuted) in the reverse cases (white on black crime).  If this were the case I was wondering if Chicos could instead bring those examples up, as they would help me understand his (chicos) position better. 

You continue, again, to miss what I'm saying.  What I'm saying is time and time again certain individuals (media, Sharpton, etc) PUSH to make it a hate crime.  Whether it is or not is another story.  This is why I have used the terms what's good for the Goose...   If so many times there is a crime where a minority is killed by a white person and Rev. Al is going to demand a hate crime, then I ask the question why the double standard when it is reversed?  I ask why the double standard by the media when it is reversed.  Simple questions.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #358 on: August 27, 2013, 10:55:42 PM »

This is a common type of argument I see from people and it is an example where I think many confuse cause from effect.  

The OSU article I linked highlights the fact that black crime is statistically identical to white/hispanic/asian crime if looked at on an economic scale.  Rich whites have the same crime rate as rich blacks.  Poor whites have the same crime rate as poor blacks.  The difference in overall crime statistics is due to a higher incidence of poverty in the black community and a corresponding higher incidence in crime amongst poor individuals of all races.

The same goes here for the issues you have highlighted.  They are not associated with the communities (i.e. black community) rather they are a manifestation of the high incidence of poverty.  So if we want to address those issues, what we need to do is address the issue of high poverty in the black community.

At that point we need to identify why the black community is economically depressed.  This stems from historical disadvantages that persist today and are reinforced by statistics that seem to indicate that they are more violent, higher rates of divorce, low education etc.  To remedy the situation we need to increase the opportunities for them.

This is exactly what these laws that you seem to be against were designed to do.  

I would agree that the race baiters do not help the situation, hate never brings people together.  But historically their extreme approaches were sadly required to bring attention to some issues.  They have gone overboard unfortunately and at times that has caused harm to their community.  Nonetheless, you have to ask yourself, what went wrong to breed that kind of culture and to breed it as a necessity in some cases.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #359 on: August 27, 2013, 10:58:57 PM »
You continue, again, to miss what I'm saying.  What I'm saying is time and time again certain individuals (media, Sharpton, etc) PUSH to make it a hate crime.  Whether it is or not is another story.  This is why I have used the terms what's good for the Goose...   If so many times there is a crime where a minority is killed by a white person and Rev. Al is going to demand a hate crime, then I ask the question why the double standard when it is reversed?  I ask why the double standard by the media when it is reversed.  Simple questions.

Ignore what was here previously.  I'm afraid we are going to continue to go in circles in a format (internet) where it is hard to make your point and comments can be misconstrued. 

We clearly disagree, but I'm not certain either of us can effectively make our point in this type of forum.  Maybe over a beer sometime.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:20:04 PM by forgetful »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #360 on: August 27, 2013, 11:04:20 PM »

PS:  And yes of course, mainstream media tilts left.  But less and less people are reading newspapers and watching national news.  So if the lamestream media continues to lose influence, what will the next rallying cry be?

They are reading less newspapers, but watching more Jon Stewart...who leans far left.  Same result.  They are still going to the internet to read stories instead of the newspapers.  Consuming television or video, still there.

Some more fun tidbits.

In 1981 George Washington University did a study of 240 journalists that covered the Presidency from 1964 to 1976 and asked who they voted for.  The LOWEST vote totals in those four years was 81% for the Democrat and as high as 94%.  The HIGHEST vote total for the GOP was 19% and the low of 6%. 54% of them identified left of center, 19% right of center.

US News did a similar survey from 1976 to 1992 of 28 tv White House reporters only (no newspaper or radio).  Over the course of those 5 elections, the GOP got 7 votes from those reporters.  LOL.

In 1980, Cal State LA did a study of newspaper reporters.  51% voted Carter, 25% Reagan.

1985, LA Times did a study of 2,700 reporters around the 1984 election.  58% admitted to voting for Mondale, 26% for Reagan.

In 1989, Rothman Lichter media survey of the 1988 election.  76% for Dukakis.  Same study in 1993..91% for Clinton.

On and on.

Let's look at donations.

2008, 88% of donations from TV networks, reporters, journalists went to Mr. Obama.

And on and on...same as nearly ever election cycle the last 30 years.

Yes, I'd say it "tilts" left.  Just a smidge.   ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #361 on: August 27, 2013, 11:06:27 PM »
This is a common type of argument I see from people and it is an example where I think many confuse cause from effect.  

The OSU article I linked highlights the fact that black crime is statistically identical to white/hispanic/asian crime if looked at on an economic scale.  Rich whites have the same crime rate as rich blacks.  Poor whites have the same crime rate as poor blacks.  The difference in overall crime statistics is due to a higher incidence of poverty in the black community and a corresponding higher incidence in crime amongst poor individuals of all races.

The same goes here for the issues you have highlighted.  They are not associated with the communities (i.e. black community) rather they are a manifestation of the high incidence of poverty.  So if we want to address those issues, what we need to do is address the issue of high poverty in the black community.

At that point we need to identify why the black community is economically depressed.  This stems from historical disadvantages that persist today and are reinforced by statistics that seem to indicate that they are more violent, higher rates of divorce, low education etc.  To remedy the situation we need to increase the opportunities for them.

This is exactly what these laws that you seem to be against were designed to do.  

I would agree that the race baiters do not help the situation, hate never brings people together.  But historically their extreme approaches were sadly required to bring attention to some issues.  They have gone overboard unfortunately and at times that has caused harm to their community.  Nonetheless, you have to ask yourself, what went wrong to breed that kind of culture and to breed it as a necessity in some cases.

Fair points, but I think your last paragraph hits it.  You also have to ask yourself, if the blame game continues every single day and that is all that is pumped into some of these youth, what is ever going to change?  This is why Cosby and others have said enough!

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #362 on: August 27, 2013, 11:16:27 PM »
They are reading less newspapers, but watching more Jon Stewart...who leans far left.  Same result.  They are still going to the internet to read stories instead of the newspapers.  Consuming television or video, still there.

Some more fun tidbits.

In 1981 George Washington University did a study of 240 journalists that covered the Presidency from 1964 to 1976 and asked who they voted for.  The LOWEST vote totals in those four years was 81% for the Democrat and as high as 94%.  The HIGHEST vote total for the GOP was 19% and the low of 6%. 54% of them identified left of center, 19% right of center.

US News did a similar survey from 1976 to 1992 of 28 tv White House reporters only (no newspaper or radio).  Over the course of those 5 elections, the GOP got 7 votes from those reporters.  LOL.

In 1980, Cal State LA did a study of newspaper reporters.  51% voted Carter, 25% Reagan.

1985, LA Times did a study of 2,700 reporters around the 1984 election.  58% admitted to voting for Mondale, 26% for Reagan.

In 1989, Rothman Lichter media survey of the 1988 election.  76% for Dukakis.  Same study in 1993..91% for Clinton.

On and on.

Let's look at donations.

2008, 88% of donations from TV networks, reporters, journalists went to Mr. Obama.

And on and on...same as nearly ever election cycle the last 30 years.

Yes, I'd say it "tilts" left.  Just a smidge.   ;D

Chicos,  Great statistics.  Often I think where there is disagreement it is because both parties are correct.  Your statistics clearly indicate that the journalists and networks themselves are primarily democrats. 

Now at the same time, you have to make money.  As others indicated Fox News being number 1, Rush Limbaugh being number 1 talk radio, there is a lot of right-leaning content. 

Where the overall bias ends up lying, who knows.  I know right-wing people that claim Fox News is liberal-bias, because they lie to the right of fox news (yes it is possible).  Frankly, I think it is currently slightly right-leaning.  During Bush Jr. and Bush Sr. definitely left leaning. 

I think this is common that the media supports the opposition as it brings in more eyeballs (controversy).  Where the overall position is, I can't say as I'm sure I'm biased myself.  I would say however though that the "typical left-wing media bias type comments" are 'kind of' out of place.  Frankly, I'm deeply offended by how much 'opinion' pieces qualify as journalism these days. 

It perpetuates a climate of division as opinion pieces look to reinforce existing bias instead of opening healthy discussion.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #363 on: August 27, 2013, 11:23:42 PM »
No way I'm reading this whole thread. I just want to say that I read the original post and then skipped to the last page. How da fuq did ya'll get here?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #364 on: August 27, 2013, 11:40:23 PM »
No way I'm reading this whole thread. I just want to say that I read the original post and then skipped to the last page. How da fuq did ya'll get here?

To summarize in three concepts.

Brown-bag lunch, hate speech, media bias.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #365 on: August 27, 2013, 11:50:33 PM »
Yet another post laying the blame for the current state of race relations in the US entirely on the African American community.  Unbelievable in its arrogance and lack of any real perspective except that provided on Fox News.  

You know, I'm going to take this a little further since you really didn't have the common courtesy to read anything.

My buddy, Earnest, from Benton Harbor, MI...works as a data analyst for Boeing in El Segundo.  At nights, for extra money, he teaches basic level computing skills at Cal State Los Angeles for adult ed...his way of giving back to the community.  He cringes, at times, at what he sees.  He grew up poor, tough part of Michigan, busted his arse...went to a small college, found his way to California.   Married Monica, from Compton, went to Catholic schools in Compton because the public schools were such crap and they don't allow school vouchers.  It was her way for her family to get her a decent education, and she took a ton of crap for it because the culture was not to better yourself, not to conform.  She did it anyway.

Earnest and Monica got married, wonderful family, two great kids with Marcus and Erika.  Marcus is my son's best friend.  Their family and my family go on vacations together, Hawaii, Orlando, etc.  The boys have been on the same Little League teams over the years.  They both go to the same high school.  Erika and my daughter at the same elementary school.  Erika is a fantastic dancer.  

Monica lays down the law...she is one tough cookie.  Those kids get anything less than a B...THE HAMMER comes down.  She will not let them fail.

I admire this family.  They could have used excuses, they didn't.  They worked and worked, and they are doing fine.  Lovely family, absolutely lovely.  They've made a good life for their kids and their kids know the value of education, hard work.  They will go far.  It is THEIR opinion, ATL, THEIR OPINION that many people that had\have similar backgrounds wasted their opportunities, caved into a culture of "can't" or a culture of "Uncle Sammy will provide".  That is THEIR PERSPECTIVE.  

I'll tell you what ATL, come out to the games for Thanksgiving.  Earnest I have turned into a bit of a Marquette fan and he has gone to several MU NCAA games with me, like the Kentucky game and the Stanford game.  He's a midwest guy at heart.  You can talk to him yourself about PERSPECTIVE.

Does everyone get that shot?  No.  Can everyone go to college?  No.  But you know what, they had it pretty tough and they refused to let that stop them.  Just as there are whites, Hispanics, Asians, you name it that have it pretty tough, too, and can either make a go at it or not.  I respect the hell out of this family and I enjoy their PERSPECTIVE.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:28:24 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #366 on: August 27, 2013, 11:53:47 PM »
To summarize in three concepts.

Brown-bag lunch, hate speech, media bias.

LOL....well done

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #367 on: August 28, 2013, 12:48:21 AM »
*sigh* We knew this wasn't going to end well either.  But at least it took weeks before it went "bad"...