collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Game of Thrones fans here?  (Read 199551 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Game of Thrones fans here?
« Reply #400 on: July 31, 2017, 07:21:19 PM »
Timing last night seemed odd. So let me get this straight, at about the same time, Theon and Yara set sail for Dorne with the Sand Snakes while Grey Worm made for Casterly Rock. Presumably, Grey Worm had to have left first because his portion of the fleet got out ahead of Euron's arrival.

So then Euron attacks the ships headed for Dorne, probably catches them around Shipbreaker Bay, wrecks them, all but 1-2 ships, and he heads into Blackwater Bay to celebrate at King's Landing.

As all this happens, Grey Worm is still sailing around Dorne and back up the coast for Casterly Rock. Grey Worm arrives, sneaks into the Rock through the sewers, overthrows the city, and before they've finished mopping up a skeleton crew army inside the Rock, Euron has somehow left King's Landing, covered the distance he would have lost tracking back, and caught back up?

I just don't see it.

This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #401 on: July 31, 2017, 07:26:58 PM »
Don't overthink it.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #402 on: July 31, 2017, 10:23:52 PM »
Don't overthink it.

My exact thoughts as I read brew's post.

Also, good call on the dragonglass, too. Those two events already have justified Sam being sent to the dusty library from hell. And yet I STILL hated them wasting so much time on Sam in the first episode; could have given at least 10 minutes to something more interesting without sacrificing the story line, IMHO.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #403 on: July 31, 2017, 11:27:48 PM »
Don't overthink it.

It's poor storytelling. If they spread it out so it takes a few weeks, fine. Instead, we go from Euron capturing the Sand Snakes to his parade through King's Landing to the other side of Westeros (the long way, by ship) in under an hour of screen time.

And meanwhile, it seems like a day or two has passed for Dany. How long did it take for Ned and Robert to ride to King's Landing the first season? Seemed like it was weeks if not months.

I don't know, it's just a frustration as they go further and further away from published canon they seem to leave more plot holes and time discrepancies.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #404 on: August 01, 2017, 12:41:40 AM »
My exact thoughts as I read brew's post.

Also, good call on the dragonglass, too. Those two events already have justified Sam being sent to the dusty library from hell. And yet I STILL hated them wasting so much time on Sam in the first episode; could have given at least 10 minutes to something more interesting without sacrificing the story line, IMHO.

Next episode should be interesting.  It will be the shortest GOT episode ever (50 minute runtime), but will likely have the largest and longest battle in GOT history. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #405 on: August 01, 2017, 07:12:12 AM »
Next episode should be interesting.  It will be the shortest GOT episode ever (50 minute runtime), but will likely have the largest and longest battle in GOT history.

I don't remember seeing any hints of a battle in the preview. What makes you say there'll be a battle?
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #406 on: August 01, 2017, 07:35:46 AM »
It's poor storytelling. If they spread it out so it takes a few weeks, fine. Instead, we go from Euron capturing the Sand Snakes to his parade through King's Landing to the other side of Westeros (the long way, by ship) in under an hour of screen time.

And meanwhile, it seems like a day or two has passed for Dany. How long did it take for Ned and Robert to ride to King's Landing the first season? Seemed like it was weeks if not months.

I don't know, it's just a frustration as they go further and further away from published canon they seem to leave more plot holes and time discrepancies.

You must have missed how long it took varys to cross the sea, twice. Or Dany and her army. Or Jon snow from Winterfell to Dany. Or Arya.

Etc etc

The writers have stated that episodes aren't in a "next day" timeline. Whether between episodes or even during them

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #407 on: August 01, 2017, 08:05:51 AM »
You must have missed how long it took varys to cross the sea, twice. Or Dany and her army. Or Jon snow from Winterfell to Dany. Or Arya.

Etc etc

The writers have stated that episodes aren't in a "next day" timeline. Whether between episodes or even during them

So Christopher Nolan directed that episode?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #408 on: August 01, 2017, 08:17:06 AM »
Do we have a rough idea how long has passed since that fateful day Robert asked Ned to be his hand?
Maigh Eo for Sam

chapman

• All American
« Reply #409 on: August 01, 2017, 10:30:03 AM »
I'm good with Euron being better in combat than we'd think, since he seems to be the combination of Euron and Victarion, who was really the one that would crush some skulls for fun. 

Do we know if Euron was actually at Casterly Rock?  If he sent most of the fleet ahead while he stopped at King's Landing it would make more sense from a timing standpoint. 

Think the Robert trips to/from Winterfell were supposed to be about a month each.  But they were traveling with the King's procession, which would seem to be turtle pace.

Glad the Sand Snakes are done.  Not sure why they decided to expand upon them in the series and either minimize or not include the actual interesting Dornish characters.  Kind of makes sense to do it in order to start to consolidate the plot, but a little disappointing that we may never hear from Dorne or the Stormlands again.  Or the Reach, unless you could Randyll Tarly, who is pretty awesome.

LON

• All American
« Reply #410 on: August 01, 2017, 10:36:10 AM »
I'm good with Euron being better in combat than we'd think, since he seems to be the combination of Euron and Victarion, who was really the one that would crush some skulls for fun. 

Do we know if Euron was actually at Casterly Rock?  If he sent most of the fleet ahead while he stopped at King's Landing it would make more sense from a timing standpoint. 

Think the Robert trips to/from Winterfell were supposed to be about a month each.  But they were traveling with the King's procession, which would seem to be turtle pace.

Glad the Sand Snakes are done.  Not sure why they decided to expand upon them in the series and either minimize or not include the actual interesting Dornish characters.  Kind of makes sense to do it in order to start to consolidate the plot, but a little disappointing that we may never hear from Dorne or the Stormlands again.  Or the Reach, unless you could Randyll Tarly, who is pretty awesome.

His ship was there, they zoomed in on it.  Leave "Silence" out of that scene and everything is fine as his fleet is so huge it's believable that only a part of it was at Casterly Rock.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #411 on: August 01, 2017, 11:02:04 AM »
I don't remember seeing any hints of a battle in the preview. What makes you say there'll be a battle?

There have been rumors/leaks that suggest that this will be the episode that involves the big Jaime vs. Dothraki battle that was in the original trailers.  I can't give a 100% guarantee, but I feel quite confident on this. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #412 on: August 01, 2017, 11:11:54 AM »

Etc etc

Many of those are since they went ahead of book, but the problem here is that Euron was following Grey Worm. If it's one traveler, it's easier to suspend disbelief or accept their timeline didn't exactly match up.

This is different. Grey Worm sailed to Casterly Rock. In that time, Euron met with Cersei, intercepted the Sand Snakes, destroyed half of Dany's fleet, sailed back to King's Landing, paraded through the streets, met again with Cersei, then sailed to Casterly Rock from an even further distance than GW, and arrived almost simultaneously.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #413 on: August 01, 2017, 11:13:45 AM »

OK, all that time has passed, so how come Cersei's hair hasn't grown back?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 11:22:36 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #414 on: August 01, 2017, 11:19:12 AM »
OK, all that time has passed, so home Cersei's hair hasn't grown back?

Maybe she has simply decided to rock a pixie cut.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #415 on: August 01, 2017, 12:59:59 PM »
Many of those are since they went ahead of book, but the problem here is that Euron was following Grey Worm. If it's one traveler, it's easier to suspend disbelief or accept their timeline didn't exactly match up.

This is different. Grey Worm sailed to Casterly Rock. In that time, Euron met with Cersei, intercepted the Sand Snakes, destroyed half of Dany's fleet, sailed back to King's Landing, paraded through the streets, met again with Cersei, then sailed to Casterly Rock from an even further distance than GW, and arrived almost simultaneously.

Perhaps there was supposed to be an implication that they laid siege to the rock for a bit? That or euron wasn't kidding when he proclaimed himself "the storm" and can create winds to make his boats faster
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #416 on: August 01, 2017, 01:45:13 PM »

Perhaps there was supposed to be an implication that they laid siege to the rock for a bit? That or euron wasn't kidding when he proclaimed himself "the storm" and can create winds to make his boats faster

Could be, though they snuck in and took the Rock totally unaware, then as soon as they killed the skeleton force, Euron was in the bay.

I know, just try to enjoy it, but part of what drew me to the books in the first place was how they were grounded in a general reality with a side dish of fantasy that was fully explained. Similar to Glen Cook's Black Company books that GRRM clearly drew inspiration from.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #417 on: August 03, 2017, 02:52:36 PM »
Saw a clip of brienne and arya fighting. Sansa was watching and did not look too pleased
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #418 on: August 04, 2017, 10:15:24 AM »
Saw a clip of brienne and arya fighting. Sansa was watching and did not look too pleased

I wonder if Pod getting slammed to the ground is in losing to Arya.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #419 on: August 04, 2017, 10:22:01 AM »

Spoiler alert, Brienne gives up pretty quickly and ends up in a trash heap.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #420 on: August 04, 2017, 10:23:46 AM »
I wonder if Pod getting slammed to the ground is in losing to Arya.

My 4never impersonation:

"More like Tri-Pod, ai'na?"
Have some patience, FFS.

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #421 on: August 04, 2017, 10:59:19 AM »
Sunday's ep has leaked and is on the torrent sites.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #422 on: August 04, 2017, 11:44:02 AM »
Sunday's ep has leaked and is on the torrent sites.

You watch it yet? It's taking a lot of restraint not to
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #423 on: August 04, 2017, 12:36:08 PM »

I'm not watching the leaked version, mostly because that just increases the length of time I have to wait till the next episode.

Interesting that this was leaked (but not surprising that it was leaked today).  They haven't been putting the final touches on the episodes to 3-days before going live, to avoid completed leaked episodes.

Goes to show you that no matter what precautions/efforts you take, leaks are still going to happen.

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #424 on: August 04, 2017, 10:20:33 PM »

I downloaded it but decided against watching it.  Would rather see an action packed ep in great quality.

But I probably would have watched if it had leaked on Mon or Tues, tbh.