Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Larry Williams  (Read 15750 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Larry Williams
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2013, 12:22:23 PM »
Maybe I am missing something....

But other than one LW interview in which he made some rather generalized statements, a few unsubstantiated rumors, and a crapload of conjecture by rabid Domer haters, what evidence exists that LW and Buzz are at odds with each other in any meaningful way?

Please, enlighten me.
Have some patience, FFS.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2013, 12:25:40 PM »
Isn't this the case for just about everyone in the working world?

Yes, but we all (as fans) have an emotional attachment to the team/school, so we mistakenly project that onto our favorite player or coach.

The harsh truth is that most coaches don't have the deep seeded passion for the program that the fans do.

MU will always be my favorite team. A coach's favorite team is the team he is currently coaching.

The irony is, we (as fans) will be butthurt if a coach leaves us, but then we will immediately start speculating on where we are going to steal "our" next coach from because obviously MU is better than (insert job).

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2013, 12:25:47 PM »
"Everybody's wrong except me!"

I for one am thankful for this thread. It reminded me that I had accidently taken Ners off 'Ignore.'

Problem solved.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2013, 12:25:58 PM »
Guns

I agree completely. The coaching profession is one that you have to look at opportunities when they arise. Buzz mentioned that Junior was the first player he ever recruited that he saw graduate and finish career as a coach. He added he has been at this for 16 years. If Buzz goes to better opportunity down the road I would not blame him one bit. If he went to South Florida or sideways move it would be puzzling. Honestly, I really think that coaches get burned out at the same school much quicker today than years ago. Aside from the elite jobs I think guys moving every 5-7 years is more the rule than exception today.

I don't think that I can agree with you Goose.  At least not regarding the really good coaches.  It took Indiana to lure Crean away.  It took Arizona to finally lure Sean Miller away from Xavier.  Both of those guys had lots of opportunities before they left to make smaller moves up elsewhere.  Look at Stevens sticking with Butler, Smart sticking with VCU, again both of those guys were/are in high demand every off season, yet they're biding their time.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2013, 12:33:16 PM »
Sure, every coach is to some degree an independent contractor, but the idea that their characters, motivations, etc are all the same is inaccurate. Do you really think that Mark Few is just like John Calipari? I don't.

I would never imply that their character is the same, because obviously it isn't.

Specific motivations will also differ from coach to coach.

But, in the industry, as a whole, we (as fans) should be comfortable with coaches doing what is best for themselves and their families, because that is who they are really loyal to.

The coaches don't have the built in loyalty and passion for these specific schools that we have. We can't expect them to.

I love Buzz and Buzz loves MU. But, if Buzz has several losing season in a row, he'll be fired, and if Buzz gets a monster contract offer from (insert pro or college team), he will consider leaving.

Some people are just uncomfortable with this reality because we all want to romanticize it. Hell, Al McGuire tried to leave MU for a pro job!

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2013, 01:24:15 PM »

But other than one LW interview in which he made some rather generalized statements, a few unsubstantiated rumors, and a crapload of conjecture by rabid Domer haters, what evidence exists that LW and Buzz are at odds with each other in any meaningful way?

Please, enlighten me.

+1

Don't you know that on internet message boards,
the rumors, hearsay, and conjecture ARE the evidence?

Now, who wants some scotch?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »

Please, enlighten me.

There's no actual evidence but there doesn't need to be. Lots of people know people who heard things.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2013, 01:47:07 PM »
LittleMurs

I think we both might be right if you using Crean as example. He would have made lateral move the previous year from I heard. May or may not be true but he was looking to bolt. He might have got lucky with IU because of the problems they were having. Plus I think guys can justify to themselves why some lateral moves make sense. It comes down money and ultimate motivation. While I hope Buzz and MU can win NC in next five years I cannot say with certainty if it can happen. Buzz at Texas I think is better chance for NC.