Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Larry Williams  (Read 15751 times)

tower912

• All American
Larry Williams
« on: March 01, 2013, 08:30:45 AM »
I have been critical of him in the past.   If it turns out that he was a driving force behind the conference re-alignment, the TV deal, etc.,  then I have to take back half of the mean stuff I have said about him.   Kudos and well done.     Now, make sure you keep Buzz. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
Re: Larry Williams
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 08:46:23 AM »
I have been critical of him in the past.   If it turns out that he was a driving force behind the conference re-alignment, the TV deal, etc.,  then I have to take back half of the mean stuff I have said about him.   Kudos and well done.     Now, make sure you keep Buzz. 
If buzz leaves because of him than the conference stuff does not matter

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 08:47:45 AM »

Agreed with all of this.  He has earned some leash with this Big East maneuvering.  The piddly stuff like the hey song is annoying but ultimately irrelevant.  Keeping Buzz and the Big East were the two critical items for the AD right now.  He gets an A in one, the other is incomplete.

If Buzz is our coach come fall and there were little or no Buzz is unhappy stories in the off season then Larry will have swung me completely.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 09:04:57 AM »
LW has been getting it done it appears. Am not an anti LW guy and do not think I would blame him if Buzz would leave while LW was here. It looks like LW knows how to do his job.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 09:07:26 AM »
Keeping Buzz and the Big East were the two critical items for the AD right now.  He gets an A in one, the other is incomplete.

If Buzz is our coach come fall and there were little or no Buzz is unhappy stories in the off season then Larry will have swung me completely.

Doesn't quite seem fair to me. We heard completely unfounded rumors about Buzz's u happiness, and yet he's still here. In the meantime, LW has been key to negotiating a new league and giving Marquette stability.

But, should more unfounded rumors about Buzz being unhappy crop up, Larry fails in your book?

I guess I'd prefer to judge people by what we *know* they've done, not whispers on the wind.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 09:20:10 AM »
Doesn't quite seem fair to me. We heard completely unfounded rumors about Buzz's u happiness, and yet he's still here. In the meantime, LW has been key to negotiating a new league and giving Marquette stability.

But, should more unfounded rumors about Buzz being unhappy crop up, Larry fails in your book?

I guess I'd prefer to judge people by what we *know* they've done, not whispers on the wind.

Oh the rumors were definitely founded on something otherwise they don't exist.  And I didn't say he would be a failure based on that.  Keeping the grade analogy, if Buzz stays and no rumors, A, it media scare stuff but Buzz stays A-.  If Buzz leaves C, and if Buzz leaves because of pressure from Larry/Administration D.  It's all about the context and not black and white.

Besides whoever promised you fair?  Want fair don't be an AD of a school with a semi-irrational fanbase.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 09:32:12 AM »
1) He got some delusional reaction from some fans because he is a ND guy
2) He came from a smaller school
3) He dared to be an AD and actually be a boss...good for him
4) He has had to carry out some actions at the behest of the President, BOT, etc on some things like the Hey song, etc...he's just the messenger.

I love the guy.  Hope he is around a long time.  He has shown leadership for the conference, he has shown a willingness to be a strong leader for the school and the department. 

If Buzz thinks Larry Williams is tough, he's going to love going to Texas and work for Deloss Dodds.    The grass isn't always greener.  Buzz has a huge contract, a school willing to play ball, he just had to reign in his players from the bad press they were creating. 

Since the "dust up", I've noticed no front page stories about MU off the court and 2nd place in the Big East with a chance to win the title.  A top 10 recruiting class coming in.  Looks to me like Larry Williams and the administration got their point across and Buzz's teams haven't suffered in any way, which should make Buzz happy.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 09:33:35 AM »
I've heard that Buzz really doesn't like Larry but that he isn't planning on leaving because his wife and kids are happy that they have finally settled down rather than moving every other year. Also Buzz loves the fact the MU pays their assistants a lot more than other places so because of his loyalty to his fellow coaches he won't leave.

Again this is what I have heard so there is no reason to take it as the God honest truth. This one post will now start a 5 page thread
Bring back FFP!!!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 09:35:33 AM »
1) He got some delusional reaction from some fans because he is a ND guy
2) He came from a smaller school
3) He dared to be an AD and actually be a boss...good for him
4) He has had to carry out some actions at the behest of the President, BOT, etc on some things like the Hey song, etc...he's just the messenger.

I love the guy.  Hope he is around a long time.  He has shown leadership for the conference, he has shown a willingness to be a strong leader for the school and the department. 

If Buzz thinks Larry Williams is tough, he's going to love going to Texas and work for Deloss Dodds.    The grass isn't always greener.  Buzz has a huge contract, a school willing to play ball, he just had to reign in his players from the bad press they were creating. 

Since the "dust up", I've noticed no front page stories about MU off the court and 2nd place in the Big East with a chance to win the title.  A top 10 recruiting class coming in.  Looks to me like Larry Williams and the administration got their point across and Buzz's teams haven't suffered in any way, which should make Buzz happy.

Well stated.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 09:37:06 AM »
I've heard that Buzz really doesn't like Larry but that he isn't planning on leaving because his wife and kids are happy that they have finally settled down rather than moving every other year. Also Buzz loves the fact the MU pays their assistants a lot more than other places so because of his loyalty to his fellow coaches he won't leave.

Again this is what I have heard so there is no reason to take it as the God honest truth. This one post will now start a 5 page thread

Could be 100% true.  Many people don't like their bosses, but they find a way to be professional and get through it.  Buzz has a great gig, Larry and Father Pilarz's demands have not slowed down Buzz's ability to win, despite what people want to believe.  Over time, IF the relationship is difficult, you may find that they grow closer especially if winning continues and Buzz realizes that there are many ways to skin the cat to win games but also keep the university's image in tact.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 09:48:01 AM »
Chico's

Agree completely.Hoping that Buzz does realize there are many ways to skin a cat.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:01:51 AM by Goose »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 09:57:34 AM »
Oh the rumors were definitely founded on something otherwise they don't exist.  And I didn't say he would be a failure based on that.  Keeping the grade analogy, if Buzz stays and no rumors, A, it media scare stuff but Buzz stays A-.  If Buzz leaves C, and if Buzz leaves because of pressure from Larry/Administration D.  It's all about the context and not black and white.

Besides whoever promised you fair?  Want fair don't be an AD of a school with a semi-irrational fanbase.

So, say, the Texas job or the UCLA job or some other big-time job opens up and Buzz gets offered a huge deal to take it ... that somehow reflects poorly on Larry Williams?
Weird. Don't remember too many people blaming Cottingham when Crean left for Indiana (cue the Crean bashing ...).

And while LW seems to be doing a nice job with the conference realignment and all, I'm not sure I can ever forgive him for the hat.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 09:58:41 AM »
Add in that Buzz is in a position to have a GREAT team next year, and it would have to be hard for him to leave now.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 10:09:58 AM »
I really have no opinion on the man. My only criticism would be commenting on Buzz to the press. That was way over the line and busted the Praise in Public Punish in Private Maxim. As far as taking the lead in the conference stand-up I would chalk that up to doing his job. Sounds like he's taking the initiative but we really don't know any details so it's all mental masturbation.

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 10:11:34 AM »
Many people don't like their bosses, but they find a way to be professional and get through it.

My wife works in an office of professionals where if you miss a social gathering after work, you're immediately suspected of not liking everyone else, but if you show up to the next gathering, suddenly you're everyone's best friend again.  Evidently, part of the bar exam is learning how to act like you're in junior high again.

Just because Buzz and Larry aren't hanging out at the Domes on the weekend doesn't mean they hate each other and/or can't work productively in the same building with each other.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Carl Spackler

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 10:12:18 AM »
Could be 100% true.  Many people don't like their bosses, but they find a way to be professional and get through it.  Buzz has a great gig, Larry and Father Pilarz's demands have not slowed down Buzz's ability to win, despite what people want to believe.  Over time, IF the relationship is difficult, you may find that they grow closer especially if winning continues and Buzz realizes that there are many ways to skin the cat to win games but also keep the university's image in tact.

I dont post much, and i loathe, generally, the +1 (00000) posts, but:

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

chapman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 10:38:36 AM »
He's an evil Domer with small-time experience and a stained cap who hates Buzz and wants us to greatly reduce budget and to be like SLU. 

Wait, he helped us leave CUSA 2.0 and move to a conference that best fits us and gives us much more money?  And Buzz was allowed to just coach and not have to be involved?  And all signs are we're still near the top of the list for program investment?  And wait, SLU is good?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 10:56:12 AM »
So, say, the Texas job or the UCLA job or some other big-time job opens up and Buzz gets offered a huge deal to take it ... that somehow reflects poorly on Larry Williams?
Weird. Don't remember too many people blaming Cottingham when Crean left for Indiana (cue the Crean bashing ...).

And while LW seems to be doing a nice job with the conference realignment and all, I'm not sure I can ever forgive him for the hat.

Texas is not Indiana, nor is it UCLA.  There are places that Buzz could go where LW wouldn't be necessarily be responsible. 

Having said that, the expectations for LW have to be higher than they were for Cottingham because the program has improved since Crean left for IIII, from MU's investments to performance on the court.  So my expectation is that Marquette is a destination equal to all but perhaps the top 5-10 programs in college basketball, and coaching decisions should reflect that.  Additionally, Buzz is an extremely important asset to the continued success of the basketball program and the AD's decisions/actions should reflect that fact.

How I grade LW is based on his actions regarding the handling of MU athletic assets and resources, and Buzz is one of them.  I'm not pre-judging LW in any way, simply saying I had issues with how he handled a situation previously(Buzz/SMU), his next be opportunity has so far been a resounding success(conference realignment), and he might have another opportunity to impress me this summer(if there are any Buzz issues in the off season).  We'll see what happens.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 11:04:12 AM »
The question is whose stained cap does he wear this weekend?  If he is not wearing MU clothing then we can talk bad about him.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:34:39 AM by BallBoy »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 11:05:57 AM »
Hope they have the Kiss Cam on Larry tomorrow. Gotta check out if he's secretly blowin' wet ones Brey's way each time the Irish score.
Still may send him a new MU golf hat for his birthday.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 11:35:33 AM »
My only complaint is he does have to improve his grammar in his official missives.  He does represent a top 100 University.  Actually two, if you take his alma mater into account.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:41:19 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 02:50:09 PM »
Hope they have the Kiss Cam on Larry tomorrow. Gotta check out if he's secretly blowin' wet ones Brey's way each time the Irish score.
Still may send him a new MU golf hat for his birthday.

Brey is a known philanderer

Death on call

DavantesInferno

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 03:34:23 AM »
When is he gonna address the witch hunts going on in the student section?  It's a little ridiculous that the BC ushers are carding everyone who are given a beer.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 04:46:48 AM »
When is he gonna address the witch hunts going on in the student section?  It's a little ridiculous that the BC ushers are carding everyone who are given a beer.

Is it tho? It's in the stadiums best interest from keeping the underage drinking to a minimum. Can't fault them for wanting to cover their own ass if its found out they were doing nothing to prevent underagers from getting beers.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 06:39:57 AM »
Texas is not Indiana, nor is it UCLA.  There are places that Buzz could go where LW wouldn't be necessarily be responsible. 

Having said that, the expectations for LW have to be higher than they were for Cottingham because the program has improved since Crean left for IIII, from MU's investments to performance on the court.  So my expectation is that Marquette is a destination equal to all but perhaps the top 5-10 programs in college basketball, and coaching decisions should reflect that.  Additionally, Buzz is an extremely important asset to the continued success of the basketball program and the AD's decisions/actions should reflect that fact.

How I grade LW is based on his actions regarding the handling of MU athletic assets and resources, and Buzz is one of them.  I'm not pre-judging LW in any way, simply saying I had issues with how he handled a situation previously(Buzz/SMU), his next be opportunity has so far been a resounding success(conference realignment), and he might have another opportunity to impress me this summer(if there are any Buzz issues in the off season).  We'll see what happens.

Mu did a coaching search a few years ago. They didn't exactly have anybody knocking their door down.

Now you think it's a top 10 gig?

Your problem isn't with Larry. It's that your expectations are unrealistic.