Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Larry Williams  (Read 15749 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Larry Williams
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2013, 08:58:42 PM »
There would be less paranoia if the current AD let Buzz run the school and gave him a long leash.  Instead the new AD has tried to shackle/reign Buzz in, in some areas...which is messing with happy...and if Crean could leave under a super friendly AD/administration - just concerns some of us that the current regime may not be as forgiving/supportive.

Is there any scenario where Buzz Williams leaving MU won't be because of Larry Williams?

I mean, MU ain't Duke. If Buzz gets offered a better gig, he should take it, and that has nothing to do with Larry, right?

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2013, 09:02:02 PM »
Is there any scenario where Buzz Williams leaving MU won't be because of Larry Williams?

I mean, MU ain't Duke. If Buzz gets offered a better gig, he should take it, and that has nothing to do with Larry, right?

For a certain core of irrational, torch waving, LW-hating
doom monkeys on this board, this question is completely
rhetorical.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2013, 09:04:24 PM »
A couple?  With a large winter jacket, one could
basically snitch in a 12er, or, so I've been told.

windyplayer perfected the art.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2013, 09:11:51 PM »
My "inside source" (don't we all have to have at least one...) told me that right now everything is copacetic in the world of Buzz, LW,and the administration.  I hate to be the bearer of good news, but we might not have anything to bitch about right now.  Top 20 team, good conference alternative, great incoming recruiting class, happy Buzz...

I hope with every fiber of my being that your are correct.  If only Cadougan & Lockett + a minor reserve leave this offseason, plus the potential to add super high profile local kids in the 2014 & 2015 classes we're on the verge of something great with Buzz at the helm.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2013, 11:18:42 PM »
You think the basketball coach should run the school and get a long leash?!?!?

I think you should go back and read the post I quoted for some context, as should this jag..

How many Division I athletic departments have you
succesfully been in charge of, again?  You SEEM like
such an expert on how one should perform their duties
as an AD. 

I'm shocked you're currently NOT an AD of a DI athletic
department, or, alternatively,  if you are, and have time
in your busy schedule to offer your INFINITE expertise here,
KUDOS!!  Great time management!

Not surprised a Jag like you would love a jag like Larry Williams.  And for your ego, you are right - I'm not an AD of a D1 athletic department - but I do know an AD with a lick of common sense doesn't throw the biggest asset in his department under the bus to the local media with disparaging comments, just 90 days on the job, when prior to that your biggest accomplishment was running the Athletic Department at the high major University of Portland.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2013, 11:39:51 PM »
Buzz will leave MU when he feels like it, right now he is making his own legacy at MU and the basketball landscape.  He was on Jim Rome today, he gets press, he gets a huge and I mean
huge paycheck.  If Larry Williams is an idiot, which I doubt he is, he has a coach that 90% percent of the other schools in the country would like to have.  He is a tireless worker, loves
his kids, but if those kids this year made some of the same mistakes in the past then maybe Buzz would have seen the door.  The young kids have matured, that made mistakes in the past.
Buzz did what he had to do to keep the program at a top level.  Leave now, I do not see it.  Has a Top 10 recruiting class coming in, quality players returning and potential top recruits right
here in Milwaukee.  I will never forget that the top player in Wisconsin in 1968 went to Northwestern, saw Al and Hank at his house, made a big mistake not going to MU.  Why?  Because
he could have keep his name in the Milwaukee community and probably would have gotten a better job out of college.  Was not good enough in college to play Pro Ball.  Was 6'6" center in
high school, now he would have played forward.  Was better than Gary Brell.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2013, 06:55:14 AM »
I think you should go back and read the post I quoted for some context, as should this jag..

Not surprised a Jag like you would love a jag like Larry Williams.  And for your ego, you are right - I'm not an AD of a D1 athletic department - but I do know an AD with a lick of common sense doesn't throw the biggest asset in his department under the bus to the local media with disparaging comments, just 90 days on the job, when prior to that your biggest accomplishment was running the Athletic Department at the high major University of Portland.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2013, 07:12:05 AM »
Buzz is very driven professionally.

He is loyal, but he isn't afraid to move on if a better opportunity opens up. Look as his resume. I assume he wasn't run off by an evil AD at each job. He (probably) left for a better opportunity, and that includes UNO, where Buzz correctly saw the writing on the wall.

MU is the pinnacle of his career (to this point). He's been great for MU, and I believe he is very loyal to the school and his players.

BUT, that doesn't mean Buzz is suddenly going to stop considering all his options. He's been coaching for a long time. He knows there are no certainties, so if he gets an attractive offer, you can bet he's going to consider it. He's a mercenary, just like every other college coach. If he finds something better for him and his family, he has to consider it. Good for him! He's earned it.

(please note: none of the above is "insider information", and it has nothing to do with LW. It's basic common sense if you just look at Buzz's resume and/or watch the yearly coaching carrousel).

Now, if Buzz leaves MU for South Florida, then start the witch hunt. But, until then, let's just apply a little common sense.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2013, 07:17:44 AM »
Guns

I agree completely. The coaching profession is one that you have to look at opportunities when they arise. Buzz mentioned that Junior was the first player he ever recruited that he saw graduate and finish career as a coach. He added he has been at this for 16 years. If Buzz goes to better opportunity down the road I would not blame him one bit. If he went to South Florida or sideways move it would be puzzling. Honestly, I really think that coaches get burned out at the same school much quicker today than years ago. Aside from the elite jobs I think guys moving every 5-7 years is more the rule than exception today.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:28:06 AM by Goose »

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2013, 07:26:53 AM »

Not surprised a Jag like you would love a jag like Larry Williams.  And for your ego, you are right - I'm not an AD of a D1 athletic department

KEWL THANKS

Also, it's not really for my "ego" (another Ners straw man!), it's useful
knowledge so that hopefully other folks on the board will appreciate your
AD expertise as much as I do.

- but I do know an AD with a lick of common sense doesn't throw the biggest asset in his department under the bus to the local media with disparaging comments, just 90 days on the job, when prior to that your biggest accomplishment was running the Athletic Department at the high major University of Portland.

You're right, no one in the history of everything ever has started
at a smaller job, then moved onward and upward, to a bigger one.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2013, 07:47:25 AM »
Okay...I surrender...I've been owned quite badly on the How can you possibly support Larry Williams thread I started.

This new thread, and the previous one I'm sure has come as an early Christmas gift to my numerous haters who lined up quite nicely in the above thread.

I'm sorry for starting the thread and irrevocably offending those of you who back Larry.

I will no longer comment on any matters involving Larry Williams (unless of course Buzz leaves during Larry's tenure.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:49:14 AM by reinko »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2013, 08:43:36 AM »
Ners history on this board is pretty much one hysterical overreaction followed by another.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2013, 10:05:03 AM »
Surprise, surprise - the Jag squad all shows up:  Sultan, Guns, Lab, Reinko.

Reinko - Love the cartoon gif..advanced beyond childhood yet?
Lab - Care to comment on the point I made or just avoid the topic?
Sultan - your history on this board is pretty much one arrogant, pompous poor point followed by another. 
Guns - The king of writing a bunch without ever really making a point/opinion

Now, if Buzz leaves MU for South Florida, then start the witch hunt. But, until then, let's just apply a little common sense.

Ahh....it was worse....Buzz damn near left MU for SMU.  When the year prior under Wild/Cottingham he turned down OU and Arkansas.  His wife, Corey, should be sent a big thank you note from all those who enjoy having Buzz at MU.

Some of you feel MU as a "program" is so awesome, we'll be fine moving forward.  Can MU be an occasional NCAA tourney team under a different coach...sure..occasionally...probably....but a consistent Sweet 16/Elite 8 worthy program....doubt it....it can under Buzz perennially. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2013, 10:42:14 AM »

Sultan - your history on this board is pretty much one arrogant, pompous poor point followed by another. 

Ahh....it was worse....Buzz damn near left MU for SMU.  When the year prior under Wild/Cottingham he turned down OU and Arkansas.  His wife, Corey, should be sent a big thank you note from all those who enjoy having Buzz at MU.

Some of you feel MU as a "program" is so awesome, we'll be fine moving forward.  Can MU be an occasional NCAA tourney team under a different coach...sure..occasionally...probably....but a consistent Sweet 16/Elite 8 worthy program....doubt it....it can under Buzz perennially. 

Woah. 

I've never called you a name or resorted to a personal attack. I disagree with you on a ton of stuff, but can we keep this civil?

The SMU rumors (assuming they are true) are disappointing, no doubt. But, Buzz didn't actually leave, so it's hard for me to summon that much outrage.

IF Buzz leaves for North Dakota State, I'll bring the torches and we can attack Larry's house.

But, if Buzz leaves for the L.A. Lakers, I have a tough time pinning that on Larry.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are prepared to blame Larry regardless of where Buzz goes. I just can't follow that logic. Buzz has climbed the ladder and had a lot of promotions. I assume there wasn't an evil AD at each of the schools he left. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2013, 10:53:57 AM »
Holy cow. Didn't know we had so many military attorneys here.

Oh, wait, that's JAG Corps, not squad.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »

I irony here is just fantastic.  And no, have not advanced beyond childhood yet.

I wonder when the jag squad comes together, we become some kind of super jag, like captain planet.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2013, 11:23:11 AM »

I did comment on your point, but to clarify--my comment
is that your point is meaningless.  You haven't been,
and currently are not, an AD at a D1 university, so you don't
have any idea what you are talking about. 

And Jag squad...oof...SICK BURN.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2013, 11:27:12 AM »
Buzz is very driven professionally.

He is loyal, but He's a mercenary, just like every other college coach.

A "loyal mercenary" is a contradiction. One "motivated solely by a desire for monetary or material gain" (a mercenary) considers concepts like loyalty a weakness. It's not in their DNA.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2013, 11:37:11 AM »
A "loyal mercenary" is a contradiction. One "motivated solely by a desire for monetary or material gain" (a mercenary) considers concepts like loyalty a weakness. It's not in their DNA.

That's fair.

Let's just say "independent contractor".

Buzz works for Buzz inc., (just like every other coach) and there is nothing wrong with that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2013, 11:58:51 AM »
That's fair.

Buzz works for Buzz inc., (just like every other coach) and there is nothing wrong with that.

Or, to put it another way, every coach is ready and willing to consider a better gig, a bigger paycheck, etc. Coach K has flirted with the NBA, as has Tom Izzo. Bill Self thought about bolting Kansas. Roy Williams did bolt Kansas.
Buzz Williams is no different, and if he's offered a better job and/or a bigger paycheck, he'll probably take it. And it won't be anyone's "fault."

Buzz didn't turn down OU or Arkansas out of a sense of loyalty. He turned them down because they're not better (or better paying) jobs than the one he has at Marquette.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2013, 12:04:28 PM »
Or, to put it another way, every coach is ready and willing to consider a better gig, a bigger paycheck, etc. Coach K has flirted with the NBA, as has Tom Izzo. Bill Self thought about bolting Kansas. Roy Williams did bolt Kansas.
Buzz Williams is no different, and if he's offered a better job and/or a bigger paycheck, he'll probably take it. And it won't be anyone's "fault."

Buzz didn't turn down OU or Arkansas out of a sense of loyalty. He turned them down because they're not better (or better paying) jobs than the one he has at Marquette.

Isn't this the case for just about everyone in the working world?

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2013, 12:10:03 PM »
Why does that one guy keep saying 'jag' over and over again?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2013, 12:11:41 PM »
Isn't this the case for just about everyone in the working world?

Just about.
Point is, if (when) Buzz eventually leaves, some around here are going to blame LW - or maybe the next AD -  no matter what. And that will be stupid.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2013, 12:15:38 PM »

"Everybody's wrong except me!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2013, 12:22:10 PM »
That's fair.

Sure, every coach is to some degree an independent contractor, but the idea that their characters, motivations, etc are all the same is inaccurate. Do you really think that Mark Few is just like John Calipari? I don't.

feedback