[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 MLB Thread  (Read 116593 times)

GGGG

• All American
2013 MLB Thread
« on: January 17, 2013, 08:45:05 AM »
So the Brewers think they can win with a rotation of Yovani Gallardo, Marco Estrada, Wily Peralta, Mike Fiers and Mark Rogers?

Furthermore, the Brewers really didn't sign any position players either and have a payroll that has shrunk compared to the last couple years.  Gonna be a long year.

GGGG

• All American
Re: 2013 MLB Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 08:45:29 AM »
Ooops...should be in the Superbar!  Mods please move?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 08:47:53 AM »
You've been reading Jeff Passan, haven't you.  For shame.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:49:22 AM »
Do the Cubs think they can win just because Theo Epstein is in an office somewhere? I feel like it's going to be a long season for a lot of different teams.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 08:51:48 AM »
Ooops...should be in the Superbar!  Mods please move?

You were so excited to create the 2013 thread, you put it in the wrong board. Shame on you.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 08:52:44 AM »
Do the Cubs think they can win just because Theo Epstein is in an office somewhere? I feel like it's going to be a long season for a lot of different teams.

No one is planning on the Cubs winning this year.

However, looking at the rotation Sultan just posted. The Cubs might have a better staff!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 08:54:05 AM »

The Cubs signed a journeyman pitcher with a career 4.40 ERA to a $52M dollar contract. It's safe to say Theo's got this under control.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 08:55:17 AM »

In this week's SI there is a story about the demise of the Red Sox.  In it, Theo basically says all his screw-ups toward the end of his tenure with the Red Sox (Crawford, Lackey, Gonzalez signings, etc) were forced on him by the owners in an effort to improve NESN television ratings.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 08:57:44 AM »
No one is planning on the Cubs winning this year.

However, looking at the rotation Sultan just posted. The Cubs might have a better staff!

People have planned on the cubs winning before?

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 08:59:12 AM »
So the Brewers think they can win with a rotation of Yovani Gallardo, Marco Estrada, Wily Peralta, Mike Fiers and Mark Rogers?

Furthermore, the Brewers really didn't sign any position players either and have a payroll that has shrunk compared to the last couple years.  Gonna be a long year.

I'll take Peralta over Narveson, Estrada over Marcum, and Fiers over Wolf. Weeks will come back to form, Segura is projected as a .290-.300 hitter, and they completely revamped the bullpen. The Brewers blew 29 saves and I believe scored the second most runs in the national league. If lucroy can stay healthy and Aoki stays consistent I like the teams chance to compete for the central.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 09:01:09 AM »
In this week's SI there is a story about the demise of the Red Sox.  In it, Theo basically says all his screw-ups toward the end of his tenure with the Red Sox (Crawford, Lackey, Gonzalez signings, etc) were forced on him by the owners in an effort to improve NESN television ratings.

Is Theo quoted as saying that? I thought that's just what Tito wrote in his book. I could be wrong though.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 09:23:13 AM »
Is Theo quoted as saying that? I thought that's just what Tito wrote in his book. I could be wrong though.

I just read it in the magazine this morning while eating breakfast, but I'm pretty sure they were quotes attributed to Theo.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 11:15:58 AM »
It will be interesting to see how the entire NL Central adjusts without having the Astros to whoop on for as many games this year.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 11:30:05 AM »
It will be interesting to see how the entire NL Central adjusts without having the Astros to whoop on for as many games this year.

+1

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 11:35:43 AM »
Let's just all agree that the Reds will win the NL Central this year. Any other team from the NL Central will struggle to make the expanded wild card.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 11:53:15 AM »
I think the ownership of the Dodgers may be involved in some "Brewster's Millions" type of scenario.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

JD

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 12:00:08 PM »
I agree with Sultan, I don't see where the improvments were made...

Go Crew.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 12:04:01 PM »
You've been reading Jeff Passan, haven't you.  For shame.

Yes!  I admit to stealing the line.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 12:05:12 PM »

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 01:29:52 PM »
I agree with Sultan, I don't see where the improvments were made...

Go Crew.

Stole this from MLB:
Gonzalez is the Brewers' third significant bullpen pickup in about a month, joining fellow former Nationals lefty Tom Gorzelanny (free agency) and former Rays right-hander Burke Badenhop. With incumbent closer John Axford, right-handers Henderson and Brandon Kintzler, plus one of the five competitors for four open spots in the starting rotation, the Brewers have the makings of a seven-man relief corps.

29 blown saves and worst bullpen ERA, Brewers had 16 the year before. They can score runs, I think they'll be better than you think. Aoki, Weeks, Braun, ARam, Hart, Lucroy, Segura, Gomez is a solid lineup. Green, Gamel and Gennett off the bench.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 01:50:14 PM »
Let's just all agree that the Reds will win the NL Central this year. Any other team from the NL Central will struggle to make the expanded wild card.

I think it is foolish to ever count out the Cards.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 01:52:01 PM »
I think it is foolish to ever count out the Cards.

I'm well aware, but I will anyway.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 04:20:27 PM »
Yes!  I admit to stealing the line.

As long as we're plagiarizing, let me steal a line I heard on WTMJ-620 this weekend:  "Sure, there are question marks about [the Brewers in 2013], but the question marks all have to do with 'can these young players continue doing the good things they showed during the second half on 2012?'"

Passan is to MLB what Eamonn Brennan is to college hoops... I really, truly wonder where Passan comes up with this crap (Weeks and Segura the worst defensive 2B/SS combo in the league?!? Really? You're picking on a guy who has improved exponentially over the past three years and a guy who jumped from AA to the majors last year?  That's some creme de la creme analysis there, Jeff.)  In any event, the TMJ talkity-talk guy was more right than Passan...

OFFENSE: Mostly unchanged from the team that scored more runs than everybody else but one in the NL last year, however this time they have a SS who can actually hit the ball on the opening day roster.  
MIDDLE DEFENSE: Just as good as it was last year.  Even better if Schaefer makes the team.
CORNER DEFENSE: Same guys as usual in the OF and the hot corner.  Defensively, Hunter Morris or Mat Gamel will be just as good at 1B in Hart's absence.
ROTATION: Pretty much the same as it was after they traded Greinke and clawed themselves into meaningful September baseball.  Depth is significantly better with Thornburg having a taste of ML experience, Rogers healthy and effective, and young guys like Bradley and Jungmann moving up the ranks.
BULLPEN: Overhauled.  Not a bunch of all-stars, but definitely not the same corps who blew 30 saves last year.  Plus, Axford doesn't have a newborn inhibiting his sleep this year (coincidence? From a guy having a 3y/o, a 2y/o, and one more on the way, I say not a chance in hell), so that with $5M should have him sleeping better at night and more effective on the mound.

So would you rather have a question mark of whether young guys like Fiers, Peralta, and Estrada can keep up what they showed last year or whether aging veterans like Lohse, Dempster, Haren and Edwin Jackson can do the same.  Personally, I'd rather have serviceable starters who continue to improve rather than old guys who had career years recently and hope they can keep it together for one more year.  Doug Melvin has himself in prime position to pick up another K-Rod-type contract mid-year, preserve the future by signing sign some young guys long term, and with expendable, young, ML-ready (or proven) depth at nearly every position.

If you can hold everything else equal, and safely assume that the new relief corps will only blow 20 saves this year, the Brewers should win 93 games this year.  That should be more than enough for a wild-card and possibly enough to win the Central.  But of course, that would be a gross oversimplification; however, not many teams other than the Dodgers got unequivocally better over the off-season (except the Cubs, who couldn't do anything but get better after last year).

Predicted order of finish (with ceiling/floor):
Reds 1st or 2nd.
Brewers no worse than 3rd.
Cardinals anywhere between 4th and 2nd.  They will not win the division.
Pirates anywhere from 2nd to last.
Cubs no better than 3rd.

Of course, please consider this is coming from the mouth of someone who not only detests throwing money away, yet just wrote check for two large to renew his season tickets.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 04:22:27 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 08:58:42 AM »
Ehh...  I think Ricketts is right and that ESPN Chicago article is short-sighted.