[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 MLB Thread  (Read 116465 times)

JD

• All American
Re: 2013 MLB Thread
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2013, 12:52:35 PM »
The MLB isn't out to get Braun, it's ESPN.  ESPN were the ones who broke the Braun PED case.  When Braun proved he was innocent, ESPN was outraged.  There is definitely a vendetta there.  I for one believe Ryan, I don't feed into the ESPN bull$*t everybody else does.  Ryan's explanation makes perfect sense to me.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2013, 12:57:25 PM »
Why would ESPN be out to get Braun?  And why should them breaking the news about him and PED be used as proof?

And you actually think his explanation makes sense???  I'm a Brewer fan, and his explanation makes no sense whatsoever.

JD

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2013, 01:09:33 PM »
Why would ESPN be out to get Braun?  And why should them breaking the news about him and PED be used as proof?

And you actually think his explanation makes sense???  I'm a Brewer fan, and his explanation makes no sense whatsoever.

Well when the news source who broke the story was wrong, i think that might have been a soft spot for them. 

How does his explanation not make sense?  During his appeal, his attorney's were discussing their defense with Tony Bosch.  He obviously has a very good knowledge on illegal substances that are used in the MLB. 

“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2013, 01:21:06 PM »
Well when the news source who broke the story was wrong, i think that might have been a soft spot for them. 

How does his explanation not make sense?  During his appeal, his attorney's were discussing their defense with Tony Bosch.  He obviously has a very good knowledge on illegal substances that are used in the MLB. 

Dude, your Brewers blind spot is getting pretty ridiculous.  Ask San Francisco fans about Barry Bonds and see how ridiculous they sound.  That's exactly how you and all of Brewers nation sounds right now.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2013, 01:38:17 PM »
The MLB isn't out to get Braun, it's ESPN.  ESPN were the ones who broke the Braun PED case.  When Braun proved he was innocent, ESPN was outraged.  There is definitely a vendetta there.  I for one believe Ryan, I don't feed into the ESPN bull$*t everybody else does.  Ryan's explanation makes perfect sense to me.

Braun wasn't proven innocent. He tested positive but his case was thrown out because of a technicality. That's not innocence.

ESPN wasn't wrong. Braun did test positive for high testosterone levels.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:40:56 PM by MerrittsMustache »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2013, 01:56:33 PM »

That's like asking a gang member to consult on your murder appeal because they have a "very good knowledge" on how to kill people.  There is no logic behind using him to consult...especially when the defense they used had nothing to do with illegal substances, but the chain of control issue.  A completely different issue whatsoever.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2013, 02:02:51 PM »

That's like asking a gang member to consult on your murder appeal because they have a "very good knowledge" on how to kill people.  There is no logic behind using him to consult...especially when the defense they used had nothing to do with illegal substances, but the chain of control issue.  A completely different issue whatsoever.

Obviously you've never seen Silence of the Lambs.

I actually do find it to be a plausible explanation. May not be true, but it is entirely plausible and even more logical. if you need to figure out how to beat the system, wouldn't you ask a guy who has been succesfully doing it? of course you would. Just because they didn't use that defense, doesn't mean they didn't explore it.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2013, 02:06:13 PM »

I actually do find it to be a plausible explanation. May not be true, but it is entirely plausible and even more logical. if you need to figure out how to beat the system, wouldn't you ask a guy who has been succesfully doing it? of course you would. Just because they didn't use that defense, doesn't mean they didn't explore it.

It's hard for me to imagine any circumstance where consulting a guy who pretends to be a doctor would be a good idea.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2013, 02:12:23 PM »

Good lord....really?

Cmon people...don't act like such dumbasses.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2013, 02:13:01 PM »
It's hard for me to imagine any circumstance where consulting a guy who pretends to be a doctor would be a good idea.

Think Mr. Horton wanted to play Dr. with Arnold and his buddy.  So yes, I agree with you.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2013, 02:16:13 PM »

Good lord....really?

Cmon people...don't act like such dumbasses.

Only an actual dumbass requires teal.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2013, 02:17:26 PM »
Braun's defense is possible, but not plausible.

I can't imagine that Ryan was directly paying invoices to a "consultant" for his legal defense.

Normally, a defense team would pay for everything and then invoice the client for the expenses incurred, especially for a wealthy client.

Also, 30K is a TON for consulting. Even at $500 per hour, the dude would have to spend 40-60 hours consulting on Braun's case. That's a lot.

Oh, as as far as ESPN being out to "get him", that is one of the more insane things I have ever read. Everything ESPN has printed has been true. Braun failed a drug test, and won his appeal. The fact that ESPN got the story is a nice piece of journalism, frankly.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:20:34 PM by Guns n Ammo »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2013, 02:25:15 PM »
Only an actual dumbass requires teal.

Heh...

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2013, 02:27:05 PM »
Braun's defense is possible, but not plausible.

I can't imagine that Ryan was directly paying invoices to a "consultant" for his legal defense.

Normally, a defense team would pay for everything and then invoice the client for the expenses incurred, especially for a wealthy client.

Also, 30K is a TON for consulting. Even at $500 per hour, the dude would have to spend 40-60 hours consulting on Braun's case. That's a lot.

I think some people are getting too hung up on the terms 'consulting' and 'consultant.' We aren't talking about Deloitte or Accenture here. We're talking about a guy. A guy who provides banned or illegal PEDs to athletes. If you accept Braun's version of things for a minute, and they really wanted his insight into how to potentially win his appeal, $20-30k sounds like peanuts to me. There's no corporate contract, no Scope of Engagement. It's, "I'll give you $25k if you help us figure out how to beat this thing." Looking at it in that cynical way, as I choose to...entirely plausible.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2013, 02:52:36 PM »
I think some people are getting too hung up on the terms 'consulting' and 'consultant.' We aren't talking about Deloitte or Accenture here. We're talking about a guy. A guy who provides banned or illegal PEDs to athletes. If you accept Braun's version of things for a minute, and they really wanted his insight into how to potentially win his appeal, $20-30k sounds like peanuts to me. There's no corporate contract, no Scope of Engagement. It's, "I'll give you $25k if you help us figure out how to beat this thing." Looking at it in that cynical way, as I choose to...entirely plausible.

If the guy could make that much money consulting, he wouldn't need to sell PEDs.

Annnd, even if the guy did charge Braun 25K for consulting, then why isn't Braun's legal team paying him? Why is Braun paying him directly?

I know this seems like a technicality, but I can't imagine a wealthy client paying for a consultant directly. Braun's legal team should've paid (and have records of that payment) and a subsequent invoice to Braun.

Technicalities, I know... but something doesn't smell right... which moves this away from "plausible" to me.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:54:08 PM by Guns n Ammo »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2013, 02:58:23 PM »
If the guy could make that much money consulting, he wouldn't need to sell PEDs.

Annnd, even if the guy did charge Braun 25K for consulting, then why isn't Braun's legal team paying him? Why is Braun paying him directly?

I know this seems like a technicality, but I can't imagine a wealthy client paying for a consultant directly. Braun's legal team should've paid (and have records of that payment) and a subsequent invoice to Braun.

Technicalities, I know... but something doesn't smell right... which moves this away from "plausible" to me.

Plus, wouldn't he...you know...issue him a legal invoice and not just write it down on a piece of paper?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2013, 03:08:50 PM »

Plus, wouldn't he...you know...issue him a legal invoice and not just write it down on a piece of paper?

Yes. However, this could be explained by saying that this dude was/is a shady piece of crap who was terrible at bookkeeping.

There isn't really an excuse for Braun's legal team. Certainly they have some sort of standard bookeeping/invoicing and accounting system in place.

Let's see the paper trail.

Also, Braun certainly should have a personal accountant/finance manager. Let's see that guy/gal produce some paperwork.

I've dealt with poorly managed vendors, but that doesn't mean that my bookkeeping goes to hell. We still document everything the best we can.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2013, 03:24:50 PM »

I know this seems like a technicality, but I can't imagine a wealthy client paying for a consultant directly. Braun's legal team should've paid (and have records of that payment) and a subsequent

Maybe they did. Fact is, we don't know anything. We have a Yahoo story with virtually no details, and Braun's explanation on why his name showed up in records at this clinic. Not sure why it has to be one or the other, or why you're assuming that Brayn paid him directly? There is nothing I've seen to indicate that's necessarily the case.

For all we know, his legal team has perfectly detailed records of what happened. The fact that we haven't seen them, doesn't mean they don't exist, and no legal team worth anything is going to volunteer anything up that they don't have to. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2013, 03:27:08 PM »

How do you know they didn't? What exactly is a leal invoice anyway? Is there such a thing as an illegal invoice.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2013, 03:31:37 PM »
Let's see the paper trail.

Also, Braun certainly should have a personal accountant/finance manager. Let's see that guy/gal produce some paperwork.

Why would they? Right now Braun doesn't owe anybody anything. All providing any sort of paper trail is going to do is open a door that he has no reason to open. MLB is pretty powerless on his whole thing. If said paper trail actually exists,there is no reason for Braun to produce it until he has to, if he has to. Again, no lawyer worth a damn would allow him to do otherwise.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2013, 03:49:21 PM »
Why would they? Right now Braun doesn't owe anybody anything. All providing any sort of paper trail is going to do is open a door that he has no reason to open. MLB is pretty powerless on his whole thing. If said paper trail actually exists,there is no reason for Braun to produce it until he has to, if he has to. Again, no lawyer worth a damn would allow him to do otherwise.

True, but by the same token, Braun had no reason to issue a statement, which he did. He didn't owe that to anybody.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but if Braun wants to protect his image, then he'll probably have to go all of the way and show some documentation. Or, don't. I don't really care - but, simply releasing a statement doesn't really explain it in enough detail.

Again, for me, it's possible, but not plausible.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2013, 03:52:30 PM »
Maybe they did. Fact is, we don't know anything. We have a Yahoo story with virtually no details, and Braun's explanation on why his name showed up in records at this clinic. Not sure why it has to be one or the other, or why you're assuming that Brayn paid him directly? There is nothing I've seen to indicate that's necessarily the case.

For all we know, his legal team has perfectly detailed records of what happened. The fact that we haven't seen them, doesn't mean they don't exist, and no legal team worth anything is going to volunteer anything up that they don't have to. 

Oh, my assumption that Braun paid him is based upon Braun's name being in the book. If (insert lawfirm) hired him, then that information would be in the book.

Even if the guy is an awful bookkeeper, he has to know where to collect the checks. I assume he has that part correct.

Maybe not...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2013, 04:27:43 PM »
Navin,

You sound worse than someone trying to sell the Manti T'eo story.

JD

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »
Dude, your Brewers blind spot is getting pretty ridiculous.  Ask San Francisco fans about Barry Bonds and see how ridiculous they sound.  That's exactly how you and all of Brewers nation sounds right now.

Because Bonds and Braun are almost comparable....

Lets look at Berry's picture as a rookie, and then 10 years later.

Then let's do the same for Ryan. (yes he hasn't been in the league that long, but you get the point)

How do you explain his numbers from last year then?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 04:42:54 PM by JDuquaine »

AL

🏀

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2013, 04:43:08 PM »
Because Bonds and Braun are almost comparable....

Lets look at Berry's picture as a rookie, and then 10 years later.

Then let's do the same for Ryan.

How do you explain his numbers from last year then?

Worst PED argument ever. He's not big enough!

Size has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with it.