[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 MLB Thread  (Read 116483 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: 2013 MLB Thread
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 09:20:38 AM »
Cubs are playing this well now.

Originally they asked for money for the reconstruction. Now they will pay for it, but need some laxing on the 'historical' status of some of the features and get some more night games.

They won't get more night games and concerts, so Rahm will be able to spin that denial into some public funding. They will say they worked out a deal that kept the Cubs in Chicago.

If the Ricketts don't get anything, they will have no problem looking at moving the team.

Sidenote: That ESPNChicago column was terrible. First he's saying Wrigley is a museum and Ricketts is money hungry. Then pretty much ends the article saying they need the improvements? I hate these guys that still think Wrigley needs to be a shrine.

Best part of it all, the Cubs specifically stated that a videoboard would be installed for statistical and live video uses. Not hokey 'kiss cams' or overt promotions.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 11:03:23 AM »
The Cubs aren't moving and everyone knows it. Wrigley Field makes too much money simply by being Wrigley Field. As a Cubs fan, I have no faith in Tom Ricketts. He became a "bleacher fan" as a young adult and that's who he tries to pander to. Unfortunately, a majority of Cubs fans are smarter than the meathead/frat guy/bleacher fan so we don't buy what he's selling. On top of that, he has kept Crane Kenney as the team president. Kenney is a punchline in Chicagoland. He's completely inept and he's been caught blatantly lying several times. How anyone can keep that guy around is beyond comprehension.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 02:07:13 PM »
The Cubs aren't moving and everyone knows it. Wrigley Field makes too much money simply by being Wrigley Field. As a Cubs fan, I have no faith in Tom Ricketts.

They aren't moving, but I don't think Ricketts is afraid to look at other options to force the City's hand.

What's more likely, the Cubs moving or the City letting the Cubs move? They are just playing the game like they should have from the beginning.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 10:26:05 PM »
Cubs are playing this well now.

I find it funny that the only time this can be said is during the offseason. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 11:10:55 PM »
I find it funny that the only time this can be said is during the offseason. 

I tried to get angry, but touche.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 09:11:17 AM »
I tried to get angry, but touche.

;)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 09:19:12 AM »
When it comes to the idea of the Cubs moving, Ricketts can only force a stalemate... he can talk all he wants about it being a consideration, but he doesn't have the cohones to do that to his investment.  The City can tell him to pound sand on his request, and Tom either does or doesn't carry on... end of story.

Now the City - should it ever desire to do so - could easily go in and condemn Wrigley at any time.  Multiple events of spalled concrete overhead in a public facility is grounds for immediate closure... the building dept. is cutting a lot of slack with allowing the Cubs to put up the mesh and netting, but they could reign that in anytime they wish.

Frankly, neither side will consider the extreme.  Both sides may bark, but it would be financial and/or political suicide to move and/or shut down Wrigley.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 06:41:57 PM »
Ryan Braun and another PED involvement?

I thought this was all limited to a guy who lives in Pleasant Prairie.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 07:03:44 PM »

I hate to say it, but its not shocking.  From the very first report, Jimmy Goins (the U's baseball strength and conditioning coach) was implicated.  I've been holding my breath since reading that. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 08:20:19 PM »
I am squarely in the, "no longer care about PEDs in baseball" camp, as I believe they are all doing it. So even though I assume Braun is doing it just as much as the next guy, I have to say, I find his statement/denial/explanation in this case to be entirely believable.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 08:22:51 PM »

Turns out Braun's name was hand-written in Biogenesis' records and the hand-writing matches the that of the Milwaukee test handler. Boy, that guy must really be out to get ol' Ryan.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
Turns out Braun's name was hand-written in Biogenesis' records and the hand-writing matches the that of the Milwaukee test handler. Boy, that guy must really be out to get ol' Ryan.

Braun Hater.

So is Braun going to apologize to him?

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2013, 08:31:22 PM »
Braun's Statement:

During the course of preparing for my successful appeal last year, my attorneys, who were previously familiar with Tony Bosch, used him as a consultant. More specifically, he answered questions about T/E ratio and possibilities of tampering with samples.

There was a dispute over compensation for Bosch's work, which is why my lawyer and I are listed under "moneys owed" and not on any other list.

I have nothing to hide and have never had any other relationship with Bosch.

I will fully cooperate with any inquiry into this matter.

If this is true, his lawyers you'd assume would have a paper trail of this legal week and invoices.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2013, 08:37:32 PM »
Braun's Statement:

If this is true, his lawyers you'd assume would have a paper trail of this legal week and invoices.

T.J. Quinn is currently on ESPN saying that using Tony Bosch as a consultant would be "stunning" and it would be hard to find someone "less qualified or less credible" considering he wasn't a real doctor and was previously associated with Manny Ramirez's failed drug test.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 09:04:31 PM »
So the Brewers think they can win with a rotation of Yovani Gallardo, Marco Estrada, Wily Peralta, Mike Fiers and Mark Rogers?

I like the move actually.  They only have to win for 3-4 months.  They know there's no way four pitchers who haven't thrown 150 innings ever would last the season.  If they're in it in July, the payroll cushion leaves room to make a move.  Better than committing to overpay someone for five years before the season.  Decent depth in the minors as well that is bound to produce one or two eventual starters.

T.J. Quinn is currently on ESPN saying that using Tony Bosch as a consultant would be "stunning" and it would be hard to find someone "less qualified or less credible" considering he wasn't a real doctor and was previously associated with Manny Ramirez's failed drug test.

And let's be real...if you're using this guy to try to support an appeal, you don't come anywhere near this guy without telling MLB that's exactly what you're doing before doing it.  If the first knowledge of this contact was from MLB unearthing this as part of their investigation it's just pathetic to try to come up with a defense.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2013, 09:20:13 PM »
And let's be real...if you're using this guy to try to support an appeal, you don't come anywhere near this guy without telling MLB that's exactly what you're doing before doing it.  If the first knowledge of this contact was from MLB unearthing this as part of their investigation it's just pathetic to try to come up with a defense.

Let's be real? You are suggesting that Braun should/would have disclosed who he was using to help him prepare his appeal to MLB...his opponent in the process? I think not.

The explanation my seem far fetched, but I assure you neither Braun's attorneys nor the MLBPA would allow him to disclose anything that did not come out directly through the appeal itself. Nor should he. Doesn't mean his excuse isn't BS, but your suggestion above doesnt really make sense.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 09:22:12 PM »
Let's be real? You are suggesting that Braun should/would have disclosed who he was using to help him prepare his appeal to MLB...his opponent in the process? I think not.

The explanation my seem far fetched, but I assure you neither Braun's attorneys nor the MLBPA would allow him to disclose anything that did not come out directly through the appeal itself. Nor should he. Doesn't mean his excuse isn't BS, but your suggestion above doesnt really make sense.

Guess we're just waiting for the MLB to come out and clear Braun then.

No MLB guys in the Twittersphere are buying Braun's story.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 10:20:29 PM »
Here's something I don't understand about this whole thing...how exactly is MLb going to investigate, and what are they going to investigate for that matter? They have as much right to any documents or anything else in that clinic as I do. They can ask a lot of people a lot of questions, but I don't see any way they can actually prove anything.

If the Feds want to move in, thats something else, but MLB can't clear him of the accusation and innuendo, any more than they can suspend him for what may or may not appear in couple documents in a clinic. Which I suppose, is why Braun can issue as vehement a denial as he did. What's the downside? Right now it's one rather inconclusive media account on one hand, with a somewhat plausible explanation on the other.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2013, 10:51:56 PM »
Also, no offense to Yahoo! because I love their reporting, but taking a picture of just five names on a whole page and posting it is a little "meh".  Why not post the whole page...

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2013, 06:41:56 AM »
Here's something I don't understand about this whole thing...how exactly is MLb going to investigate, and what are they going to investigate for that matter? They have as much right to any documents or anything else in that clinic as I do. They can ask a lot of people a lot of questions, but I don't see any way they can actually prove anything.

If the Feds want to move in, thats something else, but MLB can't clear him of the accusation and innuendo, any more than they can suspend him for what may or may not appear in couple documents in a clinic. Which I suppose, is why Braun can issue as vehement a denial as he did. What's the downside? Right now it's one rather inconclusive media account on one hand, with a somewhat plausible explanation on the other.

If I understand correctly, MLB would like to get the DEA involved to do some investigating to see if Braun (or any of the other players) had shipments of any illegal performance-enhancing substances shipped to them and/or other evidence that could be used to build enough of a case (not journalistic evidence) to prove to an arbitrator that these players violated the MLB drug policy and should be suspended.

Let's not forget that MLB is likely out to get something on Braun since he was caught cheating, they believe 100% that he cheated but he got away with it because of a technicality.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 07:50:36 AM by MerrittsMustache »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2013, 08:54:47 AM »
I am squarely in the, "no longer care about PEDs in baseball" camp, as I believe they are all doing it.

Agreed for the most part. Here's what I don't understand about the whole PEDs thing... Players and Players Associations/Unions, of any sport, don't want further/increased testing (blood, biological passports, etc) for some reason. They don't want total transparency and a clean sport. Yet they get all upset when anyone asks them about the possibility of PED use. You can't have it both ways. What is there to lose if everyone is clean? Why not have total transparency? You win/succeed based on your talent/work ethic, and that's it. And if all the players are using or want to use, then let them all use and move on. In a sport like football, where we value speed and strength, is any fan going to be that upset if they know all the players are juicing?

This also opens another discussion of where to draw the line in the definition of "PEDs." Is Kobe using PEDs when he goes to Germany to have stem cells put in his knee to help his career last longer? Is a football player using PEDs if they get a cortisone shot in a sore shoulder before a game? What's the difference between those and McGwire using PEDs to get more home runs?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2013, 09:22:54 AM »

Let's not forget that MLB is likely out to get something on Braun since he was caught cheating, they believe 100% that he cheated but he got away with it because of a technicality.

I don't think MLB is "out to get Braun" for anything.  Braun being labelled a cheater is not good for baseball... MLB knows this, and they're not going to go on a witch hunt against Braun or anyone for that matter.  MLB's reaction following the appeal was feigned outrage so that the public would perceive MLB as being tough on PEDs... MLB will do the absolute minimum to investigate/enforce their policies and not go an inch further. 

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2013, 09:43:29 AM »
I don't think MLB is "out to get Braun" for anything.  Braun being labelled a cheater is not good for baseball... MLB knows this, and they're not going to go on a witch hunt against Braun or anyone for that matter.  MLB's reaction following the appeal was feigned outrage so that the public would perceive MLB as being tough on PEDs... MLB will do the absolute minimum to investigate/enforce their policies and not go an inch further. 

A star player who gets busted for cheating but serves no punishment is worse for MLB than a star player getting busted and serving his punishment.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2013, 11:47:08 AM »
A star player who gets busted for cheating but serves no punishment is worse for MLB than a star player getting busted and serving his punishment.

Only in the eyes of a congressional committee; fortunately, our congressmen and women aren't the ones buying season tickets these days.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2013, 12:24:12 PM »
Time for Braun to just fess up before he suffers irreparable embarrassment. He's just tryin' to keep the public image from more tarnish and loss of endorsement income. Total squirmy douche.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"